Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Improve on-boarding and FTUX

First time experience is horrible and confusing to non-technical users. Please improve the emails and on boarding so friends know what they are being invited to. Even worse: friends who already had accounts mistakenly signed up with second accounts and didn't know how to merge. We had to delete the group and start over. I had to hand hold everyone and tell them not to add bills or make payments until we were all signed up correctly.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Cindy – really sorry for the trouble! We know this is a weak spot for Splitwise right now, and we’re working on improving it.

The “second accounts” issue is a particularly thorny one, and we’ve been adding features recently to try to help the problem, like a “merge accounts” option on the account settings page of our website. In the longer term, we’d like to add the ability for accounts to have more than one email address, in the hopes of preventing this kind of problem in the first place. We’re also working on a big iPhone update to address a bunch of usability issues, and to give new users more instruction the first time that they use the app. (Those changes should make their way to Android as well, once we measure their impact to learn what works and what doesn’t.)

Again, apologies for all the confusion! If…

4. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! There’s not any way to do this from our mobile apps right now, but there are a few possibilities on our website – if you go to a group, you can either pull up a printable summary (click the “view printable summary” link above each month’s expenses) or export your bills to a spreadsheet (click the settings icon at the top of the right sidebar, then click “Export as spreadhsheet”). Hope that helps a bit for now!

5. Weekly/monthly expenditure

A feature to see how much I spent in a week or a specific month would be nice to keep track of my expenses.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Select the mobile number from phone book

Mobile number is not automatically taken from the phone book when I tried to add a friend using the mobile app after selecting the person's name.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! We often have difficulty delivering SMS messages to phone numbers outside the US, especially since the phone numbers in someone’s address book often don’t include the person’s country code. For that reason, we don’t currently load phone numbers directly from your contacts. We hope to improve support for this in the future – in the meantime apologies for the inconvenience!

7. Paid by filter

there should be a filter option in group by which a person can see his detailed expense history with other members of the group individually.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion, and sorry for the trouble! For now, your best bet might be the “printable summary” view for groups on our website, which lets you see a detailed list of expenses and how much each person paid. I’ll pass on your thoughts at our next design meeting.

8. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Change the way you notify users of new expenses!

Hi Guys,

Maybe I am just an idiot, but I keep on making the same mistake over and over with Splitwise.

The problem is that when someone adds an expense where I owe them XX amount, i get normally get a push notification for that specific expense. Lets say my house mate adds an expense where I owe him 100. I then get a notification that says an expense of 100 has now been added. Almost every time this happens, my thought process is, 'Cool, I'll quickly pay that person the 100 that i owe them". The problem is, I…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Group summary

A group would have many transactions that are not split equally. And so it is very useful to know exactly what the status of a particular group is. Total group's expenditure, my share, etc.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Detect category in quick add

detect category when added through quick-add. Doesnt work when you type taxi/food; but works for dinner. I now classify all food as dinner

Ex: Dinner 50 & Groceries 100 works, but lunch 50 and taxi 100 doesnt

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the message! We’ve definitely been meaning to improve our category detection for quick-add (and for normal bills, too) – I’m hoping we’ll get a chance to do that by the end of the year. Until then, sorry for the trouble!

12. organise the dashboard

can organise your dashboard, so often used friends/groups are on top of the page/app or you can organise manualy

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Frederique – I’ll pass on your suggestion! For now, you could try tapping on the total balance boxes at the top of the screen (“you owe”, “you are owed”, “total balance”), which will filter your list of friends and show only the people that you have balances with. Hopefully that helps a little!

13. Show "Balances" initially collapsed

The default display when choosing the "Balances" window it's to show who owes whom. For our coffee club it is more convenient to list each member's balance only (and not also say who that member owes our it's owed an amount). If the members balances are listed we can easily determine who should pay for coffee next...the one with the highest debt.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hmm…it looks like our iPhone app does this already (it collapses all but the first person’s balances), but our Android app doesn’t. I’ll pass on your feedback and see if that’s a change we can make in a future update.

14. Show monthly total that x owes me as of that month

Consider the case if users are not settling up bills months and some time after if i want to check whats x owes me as of previous month end. Show the total that x owes me at end of that month for all previous months in "all transactions list".

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

You can view this currently from our website – just log in, then go to a friend or group, and then click the “View printable summary” link at the top of each month’s expenses. We hope to bring something similar to our mobile apps in the future. Until then, apologies for the inconvenience!

15. email notifications in digest format

When I settle up with my roommates, we usually settle up at the same time. When we do, I often get a barrage of notifications and email, one or more of each from all my roommates.

It would be great to get a single email with all of the transactions from the last 24 hours (or 12 hours, or 1 hour...) instead of a barrage of emails, or at least be able to snooze or modify my email notification settings.

Thanks,

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion, and sorry for the trouble! We’d like to do better digest emails at some point (like our monthly summary, but for weekly or daily updates), but we just haven’t gotten around to it yet :) For now, if you’d like to turn off some of the emails you’re getting, you can change your notification preferences from your account settings page. Hope that helps!

16. to make it possible to edit the remind email

Your app is now already in my favorite top 5 list, but it would be nice to add one more feature.
    When I send a remind email, a standard text is already suggested. It's possible to edit that text but it would be really handy to change the standard text so I dont have to edit it every time I want to send the email.
    I already asked this question but I think I wasn't clear about what I meant.
    Thanks to make such a great app!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Aha, got it – thanks for the suggestion! I don’t think we’ve heard this idea before, so I’ll pass it on at our next team meeting, and see if it’s something we want to add to our to-do list.

17. Add Passbook support!

Would be great if passbook was supported, we could quickly check to see the split balance of someone I regularly split lunch with...

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Interesting suggestion – I’ll pass it on! My current understanding is that Passbook has some issues with keeping perfectly in sync (i.e. the Passbook only syncs its passes once every few hours), but it may be that that behavior has changed, or that the behavior will get better with iOS 8.

18. Friends name on iPhone Notification

Its a suggestion that the iPhone notification should display the friends name who adds/modifies any expense. For now the notification shows just the amount and title of the expense which is confusing sometimes when one has too many friends. it doesn't tells me who added the expense.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Push notifications can only have 200 characters, so it can be a little tricky to get names in there in addition to bill info. We are considering this, though.

As of last week, when you tap a push notification it’ll take you right to the expense in question (not just to the Home screen) which should help you be less confused.

Zoe

19. Total payable amount breakdown while sending reminder

Hi there,

Great work with the app. I downloaded the app today, used it for a while and I think I am gonna stick with it for a long long time. Its very useful for me. A couple of ideas or suggestions i would like to give though-

1) while sending reminder, it would be great if i could send a screenshot of the expenses owed by my friend at the other end. May be a screenshot or a simple breakdown of the expenses, it would be very helpful.

2) its irritating that everytime i have to assign a bill…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestions! I’ll pass ‘em on at our meeting on Monday, but here’s a quick response:

1) Good thought! We do provide a link to Splitwise in the reminder email, where that person can log in and view the full list of bills, but it could definitely be nice to see the list directly in the email.

2) You’re definitely not the first to ask for this, but there are a few reasons we haven’t done it. The first is selfish – requiring invites helps Splitwise to grow, which allows us to keep the service free rather than having to charge. The second reason is user confusion – you’d be surprised how often people email us wondering why they can’t see the bills their friend added, or why their copy of the app shows a different balance than their friend’s (usually because they email addresses they’re using don’t…

20. A way to show settle up amount for just the past month

I settle up on the first of the month or shortly thereafter. I'd like to see the settle up amount for just the previous month and exclude any recurring bills for next month that are already starting to showing up.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Two possible solutions for you:

If you use groups: Have you tried clicking the “view printable summary” link at the top of each month on our website? That link includes a total for each person for JUST that month, so that you can see how much each person spent/owes for a given month.

If you’re splitting all your bills with one other person: The “Trends” tab in the right-hand sidebar also includes a summary of monthly expenses. Click the “Trends” button at the top of the sidebar, then click the “View full charts” link at the bottom of the sidebar. You’ll be able to see your expenses broken down by category, as well as your total balance for the month.

If that doesn’t do what you’re looking for, let me know and I’ll pass on the suggestion.

• Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base