General

1. Tags

Ability to create tags for certain expenses, e.g "Moving costs", "Pets", "Reimbursable", "Sunday trip" when between two people especially

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    5 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

While we aren’t actively planning to implement tags currently, there are some things that you could essentially use as tags: we have a category for every expense such as transportation – bus, taxi or utilities – gas, power.

You can also create separate group if you want to have expenses for lets say a trip, an apartment or a club to be separate from regular expenses.

2. Add tax support and partial split

There is a typical case I meet usually: I went to Walmart with my two roommates. X bought $10 things for himself, Y bought $12, Z bought $15. Meanwhile, we bought $30 things for sharing. And X paid the bill. Note that the money above didn't include the tax (I'm in US, one has to pay additional 8.75% tax of the original price). In this case we want to split the $30 and its tax equally, while each pay for his own thing including that tax. Since on the receipt the tax is only a sum, it's annoying for us…

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble – I’ll pass on the feedback! For now, you could try adding your bill on our website and choosing “itemized bill” as the split method, which includes some handling for tax (and for splitting up a bill’s items between multiple people).

3. 21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Poor show up of "friend's page" to review expenses, for group expenses

When i am viewing all my dealings with my friend, the non-group expenses show up perfect. But the group expenses are not shown expense wise. They simply show up like "group_name : money_lent/borrowed".

Now when i click on that group I expect to see ONLY those expenses which are with that friend, but alas I am flooded with all group expenses!

Maybe the friend's page itself should break down group expenses.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! We’d love to provide a more detailed breakdown of group debts in the future, though unfortunately it’s trickier than it may sound at first. (In particular, it’s hard to support this feature for groups with “simplify debts” enabled, where the amount you owe someone often can’t be explained as a list of specific items.)

5. Improve offline mode in iPhone app

Right now, when you add an expense on iPhone when you don't have a working internet connection, the app tries to save the expense for 30 seconds before giving up and adding it later. Please make the app sync expenses in the background instead of making me wait until it gives up to add another expense.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Sorting order

On the home screen, the owe-ees should rise to the top, then have contacts listed in alphabetical :)

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll pass it on at our next design meeting.

For now, if you’d like to quickly view only the people you have balances with, just tap the “you owe” or “you get back” cell above the list of people (where it lists your total balance), and the screen will update to only show the relevant people. Hope that helps!

7. Custom categories and total overview

I totally like the possibilities of the splitwise web app to show the trends and a monthly overview of the group's total. It would be really awesome if you could also add this overview to the iPhone app. I would also like the ability to split the bill unevenly like it is done in the web app.

Since you doesn't want to enable custom categories I want to request some categories because I have a lot of expenses that doesn't fit in the given categories e.g. party, medicine & health, computer, sport, clothes.

Keep up the good work, this app…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestions! We’d definitely like to make some further improvements to our iPhone app, and I’ll pass on your category recommendations as well.

P.S. There’s already an option for “Sports” under “Entertainment”, just so you know :) Hope that helps!

8. 19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. please show total amount in group expenses

While providin printable summary, the total group expenses should be given in it. man u save a hefty amount of our time. thank you great job man. luv u

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll pass this on – I know we already include totals for how much each individual person paid/owed, so it would make sense to include the total of all expenses, too :)

10. Put the frequently used currencies on top

Me and my boyfriend are both belgian (euro), i am living in the UK (gbp) and he is living in the us (usd). This means we use these three currencies very often. When I add something in splitwise, the default currency is euro, and i have to scroll down a lot before I find the gbp or dollar. Something similar for my boyfriend. It would be very convenient if these three currencies would be on top of the list instead of in the middle of the alphabetical list.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Improve offline mode: Allow adding offline friends

Need to have a complete offline mode to add offline friends and single handedly record and manage all group expenses.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Statistical data per category of expense.

Instead of naming the bill, make it so that you choose a category and add a comment. then export statistics per week or month for every kind of categorized expense so that we can have more info on the expenses.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey there! We’d love to add better support for categories over time, and we already do support this to some extent. When adding an expense, tap on the expense icon to choose a category for the expense. Later, you can export a spreadsheet that includes category information about all of your expenses.

On our website, you can also view a monthly spending breakdown by category by clicking on the “Trends” button at the top of the right sidebar, then clicking the “View full details” link.

13. More robust graphs/trends on mobile

The ability to see YTD spending, break down by cost type, etc. would be great. Also, perhaps a spreadsheet view of expenses.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! Our website currently has a few more advanced charts and graphs (totals by category, printable monthly summaries), and our iPhone app has a few basic charts as of v4.0 (group totals, export as spreadsheet). We’re hoping to bring similar features to Android soon, and to add more features as time goes on :)

14. Integrate with Money Lover

If you add an integration with the budgeting app Money Lover for entering transactions that would be awesome. I'm imagining something this: if a user enables the integration then after entering a bill, air jumps to Money Lover with the transaction name and amount pre-filled.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 0.00 expenses

I'm interested in using the app to split chores. So when a roommate does a group chore like taking out the trash or cleaning the kitchen, they can record it on the app. Other roommates can check the app and give credit where credit is due like saying thank you or returning the favor in the future.

This prevents roommate initiative from going unnoticed and helps align expectations. One of the most common issues arising from living with other people is different levels of expectations and initiative. One person might be disgusted with the kitchen while another doesn't mind at…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Brandon – thanks for the feedback! We’d definitely considering adding better support for chores in the future, though we probably wouldn’t do it via $0 expenses (both for design reasons and for technical reasons, believe it or not). For now, you could try using the whiteboard feature for groups (web-only unfortunately, at the top of the right sidebar), or you could add a $0.01 expense. (You can even assign the whole balance of the expense to yourself, so that it doesn’t affect anyone’s total balances.)

17. 15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! Draft expenses aren’t in our plans yet, but I can see how they’d be useful. I’ll pass on the suggestion and add it to our list of possible features for the future.

18. Using Chillr as a payment method in India

Hello Splitwise Team,

Your app is amazing and we, the sub 30 population in India use it and love it a lot

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey there! We’re definitely open to integrating with more payment providers in the future, and we’d love to start adding payment methods in India. Chillr doesn’t appear to have a public API right now, which we’d need in order to integrate, but we’ll keep them in mind for future updates!

19. Select the mobile number from phone book

Mobile number is not automatically taken from the phone book when I tried to add a friend using the mobile app after selecting the person's name.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! We often have difficulty delivering SMS messages to phone numbers outside the US, especially since the phone numbers in someone’s address book often don’t include the person’s country code. For that reason, we don’t currently load phone numbers directly from your contacts. We hope to improve support for this in the future – in the meantime apologies for the inconvenience!

20. Weekly/monthly expenditure

A feature to see how much I spent in a week or a specific month would be nice to keep track of my expenses.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base