Skip to content

General

278 results found

1. Group summary

A group would have many transactions that are not split equally. And so it is very useful to know exactly what the status of a particular group is. Total group's expenditure, my share, etc.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →
  2. organise the dashboard

can organise your dashboard, so often used friends/groups are on top of the page/app or you can organise manualy

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Hey Frederique – I’ll pass on your suggestion! For now, you could try tapping on the total balance boxes at the top of the screen (“you owe”, “you are owed”, “total balance”), which will filter your list of friends and show only the people that you have balances with. Hopefully that helps a little!

3. Expenditure summary

I love this application, thanks for saving a lot of time spending what I owe and what I get. I have a suggestion of a expenditure summary of a trip or a for that matter any other category in Excel tabular format or pdf format that ways I know what every one spent during whole trip or month or customs date for a particular group

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Hey Gururaj – thanks for the suggestion! We actually have a few export features like this on our website, which haven’t made it to our mobile app yet. If you log in to your account on Splitwise.com and navigate to a group, you should be able to view printable summaries for any month (by clicking the “view printable summary” link above each month’s expenses), or you can export an Excel spreadsheet of all expenses by clicking the settings icon at the top of the right sidebar, then choosing “Export as spreadsheet”. Hopefully some export features will make their way to our mobile apps in 2015!

4. Option to show only the transactions that involve me

This feature to hide transactions which do not involve me is already present in the web. So it would be great if the same is present in mobile.

It is particularly useful if you have a large group.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Hey Manu – thanks for posting this in our forum! This would definitely be a nice improvement on our mobile apps, especially for large groups :) Hopefully it’s something we can work on next year!

5. Allow setting a limit to how much someone can owe you and if it goes above it, keep sending reminders after regular interval.

Lets say, a friend owes me monthly $50. If after couple of months he has still not paid up I should be able to set an upper limit to how much someone can owe me. If the limit is crossed, Splitwise should keep sending reminders after regular interval to my friend.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Smaran, thanks for the suggestion! We’ve been thinking about ways to improve our reminders, and I could see how this could be very useful, so I’ll pass on the idea at our next design meeting.

6. Paid by filter

there should be a filter option in group by which a person can see his detailed expense history with other members of the group individually.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion, and sorry for the trouble! For now, your best bet might be the “printable summary” view for groups on our website, which lets you see a detailed list of expenses and how much each person paid. I’ll pass on your thoughts at our next design meeting.

7. email notifications in digest format

When I settle up with my roommates, we usually settle up at the same time. When we do, I often get a barrage of notifications and email, one or more of each from all my roommates.

It would be great to get a single email with all of the transactions from the last 24 hours (or 12 hours, or 1 hour...) instead of a barrage of emails, or at least be able to snooze or modify my email notification settings.

Thanks,

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion, and sorry for the trouble! We’d like to do better digest emails at some point (like our monthly summary, but for weekly or daily updates), but we just haven’t gotten around to it yet :) For now, if you’d like to turn off some of the emails you’re getting, you can change your notification preferences from your account settings page. Hope that helps!

8. Default the group when I go to add expenses

Default the group when I go to add expenses. You can make a setting option for your default gruop

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! I can see how this would be useful, so I’ll add it to our list of possible improvements for future updates. In the meantime, apologies for the inconvenience!

9. Show monthly total that x owes me as of that month

Consider the case if users are not settling up bills months and some time after if i want to check whats x owes me as of previous month end. Show the total that x owes me at end of that month for all previous months in "all transactions list".

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can view this currently from our website – just log in, then go to a friend or group, and then click the “View printable summary” link at the top of each month’s expenses. We hope to bring something similar to our mobile apps in the future. Until then, apologies for the inconvenience!

10. 19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! Draft expenses aren’t in our plans yet, but I can see how they’d be useful. I’ll pass on the suggestion and add it to our list of possible features for the future.

11. Change the way you notify users of new expenses!

Hi Guys,

Maybe I am just an idiot, but I keep on making the same mistake over and over with Splitwise.

The problem is that when someone adds an expense where I owe them XX amount, i get normally get a push notification for that specific expense. Lets say my house mate adds an expense where I owe him 100. I then get a notification that says an expense of 100 has now been added. Almost every time this happens, my thought process is, 'Cool, I'll quickly pay that person the 100 that i owe them". The problem is, I…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →
  12. Few Reports

Please add few reports like person wise expense sheet, total expense sheet, monthly breakups

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →
  13. I believe India got a huge market for this app.

If possible try have a share option so that people can share there dues & bills on apps like whatsapp. I think u guys must start advertising for this product. Mostly students and Bachelors.
    You can charge a nominal charge of just ₹ 50 / year in India. This app deserves to have in app purchases, as it's dealing with real money.
    Note: try keeping it add free!!!

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestions! We’re mostly focused on the US, since that’s where our company is based, but we care a lot about India too, and there are lots of Indian users on Splitwise.

Right now, we offer an optional Pro version with some extra paid features, and we might add in-app purchases in the future. We definitely plan to keep Splitwise ad-free, and we plan to always offer a free version to get people started. If you want to support Splitwise, the best thing you can do is tell your friends about us – it’s free and it helps us grow! :)

14. Show "Balances" initially collapsed

The default display when choosing the "Balances" window it's to show who owes whom. For our coffee club it is more convenient to list each member's balance only (and not also say who that member owes our it's owed an amount). If the members balances are listed we can easily determine who should pay for coffee next...the one with the highest debt.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hmm…it looks like our iPhone app does this already (it collapses all but the first person’s balances), but our Android app doesn’t. I’ll pass on your feedback and see if that’s a change we can make in a future update.

15. Sort by outstanding debt

We use the app for a coffee club...The person with the biggest outstanding debt pays for everyone's coffee (well, whoever wants coffee at the time). Currently we need to scan the entire list of balances to find out who is most in debt to the group. Having a sort by debt function would save it's valuable seconds!

37 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Interesting – I’ll pass on the suggestion! Can I ask how many people are in your group? I want to make sure I understand your use case as well as possible…most groups on Splitwise involve 3-5 people, so I think we figured that you’d usually be able to see everyone’s balance at a glance even without sorting.

16. Add tax support and partial split

There is a typical case I meet usually: I went to Walmart with my two roommates. X bought $10 things for himself, Y bought $12, Z bought $15. Meanwhile, we bought $30 things for sharing. And X paid the bill. Note that the money above didn't include the tax (I'm in US, one has to pay additional 8.75% tax of the original price). In this case we want to split the $30 and its tax equally, while each pay for his own thing including that tax. Since on the receipt the tax is only a sum, it's annoying for us…

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble – I’ll pass on the feedback! For now, you could try adding your bill on our website and choosing “itemized bill” as the split method, which includes some handling for tax (and for splitting up a bill’s items between multiple people).

17. Detect category in quick add

detect category when added through quick-add. Doesnt work when you type taxi/food; but works for dinner. I now classify all food as dinner

Ex: Dinner 50 & Groceries 100 works, but lunch 50 and taxi 100 doesnt

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the message! We’ve definitely been meaning to improve our category detection for quick-add (and for normal bills, too) – I’m hoping we’ll get a chance to do that by the end of the year. Until then, sorry for the trouble!

18. 0.00 expenses

I'm interested in using the app to split chores. So when a roommate does a group chore like taking out the trash or cleaning the kitchen, they can record it on the app. Other roommates can check the app and give credit where credit is due like saying thank you or returning the favor in the future.

This prevents roommate initiative from going unnoticed and helps align expectations. One of the most common issues arising from living with other people is different levels of expectations and initiative. One person might be disgusted with the kitchen while another doesn't mind at…

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Hey Brandon – thanks for the feedback! We’d definitely considering adding better support for chores in the future, though we probably wouldn’t do it via $0 expenses (both for design reasons and for technical reasons, believe it or not). For now, you could try using the whiteboard feature for groups (web-only unfortunately, at the top of the right sidebar), or you could add a $0.01 expense. (You can even assign the whole balance of the expense to yourself, so that it doesn’t affect anyone’s total balances.)

19. Plates should support discounts too

When we apply discount coupons, restaurants give discount on final amount. As plates doesn't support this it difficult to use plates at such time.

Temporary workaround: Generally we subtract discount amount from tip and try to use it somehow.

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Plates is as simple and easy to use as it is because we’ve left out a number of less frequent use cases. If this gets a lot of votes, we’ll know its something a lot of people would use, and will think about adding it.

Marshall

20. More categories and change payer default

I have 2 ideas after using your app to control a eurotrip with my husband and parents to Europe (btw, I love this app!! total life saver!)

1. More categories, such as theater and other expenses.
    2. Sometimes I forget to go back and change who paid the bill. I should be able to choose if I want to be asked for who paid the bill
    2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggesting!

1. We do add new categories from time to time. I’m leaving this as under review so if we get a lot of votes for this we know a lot of people would use a theater category. We have a general category, would “other expenses” be different than this?

2. I do this myself from time to time, so I know it can be annoying. Our solution to this is to make it easy for anyone on the expense to edit the expense if there are mistakes on it. You can also opt-in to notifications when an expense gets updated or added to help keep track of things. If we were to add a feature like this, it would be for everyone and not a setting. Given how almost all expenses are paid for by the person who adds them, I don’t think the added annoyance…

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base