Skip to content

General

278 results found

1. Make Plates for Android.

The iOS app is gorgeous and I'm jealous.

350 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    38 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks Jesse, couldn’t agree more. In fact, I’m up-voting this too :) As the Splitwise team’s big Android fan, I keep having to ask my friends to go download Plates so we can use it. Plates for Android is definitely something we want to do, but we’re juggling a ton of priorities on the core app on both iPhone and Android right now. But for sure it’s on our minds, and thanks for submitting the suggestion!

- Jon

2. include 'View Printable Summary' option on Mobile App

The option to View Printable Summary in Web is great. It will be quite useful in mobile app as well if it comes with an option to email the friends involved in the group.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We’d definitely like to add something like the printable summary view to our mobile apps in the future. It may take us some time, as we’re working on some other features at the moment, but hopefully you’ll see that feature soon!

3. Separate the total owed per person

I think it's quite intimidating to see the total amount owed for all persons as a lump sum. Could we have the option to choose how we see that amount? For example have the option to see the total owed to one friend at time on the home page instead of the amount owed to all persons. This should be for both the mobile and the browser versions

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion and the feedback – it’s interesting to hear you find seeing the total intimidating. We use that total on mobile as a navigational element as well (tapping on total, total owed and total you are owed filters the list of friends), so we’re not likely to remove this in the short or medium term. But it’s interesting and I’ll leave this open to see if others also feel this way. Thanks! – Jon

4. Option to remove decimal display per currency

Just as the title says. Simple, give us an option to not display the .00 decimal in the app, or even better, determine and specify which currencies actually use decimal point amount of money.

I live in Korea I use Korean Won, naturally, which isn't applicable for decimal notation and I'm pretty sure quite a few more (if not most) currencies don't use decimals.

As a result, entering costs in Splitwise app now requires entering two more zeroes after the dot. KRW 38,500.00 is a pain...

44 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Very sorry for the trouble! Long-term, we would definitely like to add better support for international currencies with different numbers of decimals, but it will probably be a while before we get around to it. The vast majority of our users use currencies with 2 decimal places, and adding proper support for 0 or 3 decimal places (the other two common values for world currencies) will require significant technical effort both on our servers and in our mobile apps.

Again, apologies for the inconvenience!

5. to make it possible to edit the remind email

Your app is now already in my favorite top 5 list, but it would be nice to add one more feature.
    When I send a remind email, a standard text is already suggested. It's possible to edit that text but it would be really handy to change the standard text so I dont have to edit it every time I want to send the email.
    I already asked this question but I think I wasn't clear about what I meant.
    Thanks to make such a great app!

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Aha, got it – thanks for the suggestion! I don’t think we’ve heard this idea before, so I’ll pass it on at our next team meeting, and see if it’s something we want to add to our to-do list.

6. Add a date wise separator

Please add a date wise separator so that expenses can be segregated between dates of a trip.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Just to be clear: are you asking for each day’s expenses (e.g. June 1, June 2, etc) to be separated? If so, I’ll pass on that suggestion and see what the rest of the team thinks.

7. Add Passbook support!

Would be great if passbook was supported, we could quickly check to see the split balance of someone I regularly split lunch with...

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Interesting suggestion – I’ll pass it on! My current understanding is that Passbook has some issues with keeping perfectly in sync (i.e. the Passbook only syncs its passes once every few hours), but it may be that that behavior has changed, or that the behavior will get better with iOS 8.

8. Help answer the question: "Who should pay for this meal?"

I'm out to lunch with a subset of my friends. The bill arrives, we're all on Splitwise, but we're not sure who should pay to lower the overall balance on our Splitwise group, i.e. who owes the most at the table.

Via the Balance tab I can see the answer to this if everyone is present, but there are always a few people missing. I'd like to click "Who should pay?", check the boxes for everyone present, and get an immediate answer.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

We’ve actually talked about this idea before – we think it’s a very neat concept, but we’re not sure if it merits inclusion in the core Splitwise app, since a lot of Splitwise users actually don’t use Splitwise in this way. However, it’s a great idea for a separate app, either from us in the future or from a 3rd-party developer using our API (http://dev.splitwise.com). Maybe someday! :)

9. Friends name on iPhone Notification

Its a suggestion that the iPhone notification should display the friends name who adds/modifies any expense. For now the notification shows just the amount and title of the expense which is confusing sometimes when one has too many friends. it doesn't tells me who added the expense.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Push notifications can only have 200 characters, so it can be a little tricky to get names in there in addition to bill info. We are considering this, though.

As of last week, when you tap a push notification it’ll take you right to the expense in question (not just to the Home screen) which should help you be less confused.

Zoe

10. Name Diners and Itemize in Plates

It would make it convenient to be able to name diners in the Plates app. This well help identifying which plate belongs to the individual diner.

Another nice feature would be the ability to type in the items off of a receipt so when you send out the split check your friends see what they ordered and not just a line item dollar amount.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestions! You can actually already name diners in the Plates app, though it’s a bit hidden – just tap on a plate while you’re adding items, and then tap on the name displayed in the column on the left. You’ll be able to type in a name for that plate. It’s pretty basic, but I hope it helps!

I’ll pass on your suggestion about naming items – I know we left that out at first in order to keep Plates as slim and fast as possible, but I definitely see how it’d be useful for some people. For now, I’m sorry for any inconvenience!

11. Total payable amount breakdown while sending reminder

Hi there,

Great work with the app. I downloaded the app today, used it for a while and I think I am gonna stick with it for a long long time. Its very useful for me. A couple of ideas or suggestions i would like to give though-

1) while sending reminder, it would be great if i could send a screenshot of the expenses owed by my friend at the other end. May be a screenshot or a simple breakdown of the expenses, it would be very helpful.

2) its irritating that everytime i have to assign a bill…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestions! I’ll pass ‘em on at our meeting on Monday, but here’s a quick response:

1) Good thought! We do provide a link to Splitwise in the reminder email, where that person can log in and view the full list of bills, but it could definitely be nice to see the list directly in the email.

2) You’re definitely not the first to ask for this, but there are a few reasons we haven’t done it. The first is selfish – requiring invites helps Splitwise to grow, which allows us to keep the service free rather than having to charge. The second reason is user confusion – you’d be surprised how often people email us wondering why they can’t see the bills their friend added, or why their copy of the app shows a different balance than their friend’s (usually because they email addresses they’re using don’t…

12. More mobile notifications rather email

Like if someone pays me then it must be a push notification. For every notification i am the one who should choose what type of msg i get bt in most push notification is bot an option.

28 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →
  13. Sorting order

On the home screen, the owe-ees should rise to the top, then have contacts listed in alphabetical :)

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll pass it on at our next design meeting.

For now, if you’d like to quickly view only the people you have balances with, just tap the “you owe” or “you get back” cell above the list of people (where it lists your total balance), and the screen will update to only show the relevant people. Hope that helps!

14. Plates Integration

Find a way to integrate Plates with Split Wise so calculations can be ported between apps.

96 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

We definitely want to improve Plates + Splitwise integration over time! Right now, if you share a Plates bill with a friend, they can click on the link and then save their share as a Splitwise IOU. We haven’t had a chance to make updates to Plates in a while, but in the future, we hope to let you do that straight from the Plates app. Until then, apologies for the inconvenience!

15. Ability to capture when someone should replace an item

There is not necessarily a specific cost but sometimes my roommates and I alternate the purchasing of a household item. For example if I buy dishwasher detergent this time my roommate buys it next time.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I can see how this would be useful. We might find that this complicates our user interface too much to be worth adding, but I’ll keep this up here so we can see if there’s a lot of interest in this kind of feature.

Marshall

16. Add regular payment tracking function for non-split expenses

would be great if I would be able to add payments I make for myself as well. this would allow me to use SPLITWISE for all expenses, currently its 20% split, 80% expenses for myself. of course the split ones are more actionable but some information on the other expenses would greatly help...

in the splitting screen there could be another field I PAY MYSELF.

in the enter detail screen I would just need an optional field to be able to categorize my expenses.

and in the OVERVIEW screen it should show how much was spend you paid XX,XX $"…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi there,

Several people would love to use Splitwise for personal expenses, and we’re always interested to hear about this. So far, we’ve stayed away for just the reason you say – the ones owed to others are more actionable. So we are focusing on that for now.

I’m aware that some users input expenses with just themselves, and list themselves as the “payer” as well as the only “ower.” The only place these expenses can be seen is on the “all expenses tab.” But yes, seeing charts and such would be nice in that case, and that’s hard to do right now.

Thanks for the suggestion, and we’ll leave the under review for now.

Cheers,
    Jon

17. Add itemized split method to iOS app?

I love using itemized splits on the website, but can't seem to find this feature in the iOS app. Any plans to bring it to iOS?

Thanks!

127 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    30 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Updating this since it’s been a while. We’re still leaving this as a possible future improvement. This is not a very popular feature on our website. Figuring out the design for mobile apps continues to be a challenge. Sorry for the inconvenience!

18. Custom categories and total overview

I totally like the possibilities of the splitwise web app to show the trends and a monthly overview of the group's total. It would be really awesome if you could also add this overview to the iPhone app. I would also like the ability to split the bill unevenly like it is done in the web app.

Since you doesn't want to enable custom categories I want to request some categories because I have a lot of expenses that doesn't fit in the given categories e.g. party, medicine & health, computer, sport, clothes.

Keep up the good work, this app…

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestions! We’d definitely like to make some further improvements to our iPhone app, and I’ll pass on your category recommendations as well.

P.S. There’s already an option for “Sports” under “Entertainment”, just so you know :) Hope that helps!

19. Ability to use a calculator when entering bill

When entering a bill, it would be handy if there's a quick plus button there so that I can add multiple items fast and easy.

Currently there's an empty button on the number pad that shows up which I think could very well be used for simple plus/minus calculations.

955 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    152 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

We just added a very basic calculator function to our web app, so you can now use basic mathematical operations when entering a cost (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division). We hope to add similar features to our mobile apps at some point in the future!

20. Allow the android app to rotate its display

Many thanks for the v3 app! It looks awesome already. But I was a bit disappointed that it didn't support rotation. It's my impression that rotation in Android Apps was a simple thing to add.. (I might be wrong though).

Hope this get's added. It's necessary for tablets :P
    .. And for my phone with a pull-out keyboard (HTC Desire Z).

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! We’d love to add rotation support at some point, but it’s actually a fair bit of work to make sure that everything works properly when rotated. It’s on our list of possible app improvements, but it will probably be a while before we seriously consider it. In the meantime, apologies for the inconvenience!

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base