Skip to content

General

208 results found

1. Integrate Paytm with Splitwise

You're building a great eco-system of applications and you guys are quite responsive to feedback. Congratulations for that !

I was wondering if it was possible to integrate Paytm (https://paytm.com/) for payments with Splitwise. It will be a very convenient alternative for a lot of users.

285 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    97 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  2. "Pay all" or auth queue when settling up

When I settled up I owed 3 different people. They all take Venmo. I had to go through "Settle Up" 3 times, each time hitting "Settle Up", then "Venmo" again, then authenticating w/ Venmo again - each time, it was just doing the top payment off the list.

Should either be a way to bulk-process, or, if not supported by their API, at least do a queue so it prompts me for the next person I owe.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback Andy! I understand why this would be useful. You’re right — Venmo API wouldn’t support this — but I will bring the idea of queueing payments up on our side next time the team discusses ‘Settle Up’.

Cheers, Zoe

3. Add preferred people to debt simplification

Debt Simplification can be more awesome if i can re-simplify adding a preferred payer

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  4. [BUG] Tab order in group creation messy

Tab order in Group creation under /groups/new is wonky after you've added a bunch of extra people.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  5. add increase/decrease buttons next to shares number fields

Every time I use this feature I think about how nice it would be to not touch the keyboard while increasing shares ;)

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  6. Give us Option to Add Tentative figures without syncing

Kudos to the Website Design accessibility and the whole idea for creating this kind of a website.

One suggestion :

Give us an option to add tentative figures or figures which are too small to be added directly but can be posted after accumulating together

For eg to explain with a hypothetical situation;
    Salt - Rs 20 can be added and kept aside without syncing.( Keep in Reserve )
    Once I buy Sugar Rs 60 etc
    I can accumulate together and make entry as
    Salt & Sugar - 80
    etc

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your kind words about Splitwise and for providing your suggestion.

We’ve thought about this a bit, but we worry that it’ll get confusing and add extra work — people might forget they added a ‘pending’ bill, never add it to their ‘real’ ledger, or their friend will add it in the meanwhile and there will be duplicates.

May I ask why you wouldn’t just want to add “Salt 20 Rs” to Splitwise right away? It’s seems that it’d be as much work as adding the ‘pending’ expense, and then going back later to ‘really’ add it. Is it about not wanting to ‘spam’ friends with emails about expenses added?

Thanks!
    ZC

7. allow gift payments that don't need to be paid back

In my household, I pay the rent and then my flatmates reimburse me. This works beautifully, normally.

Lately, flatmate #2 has been paying a little extra to cover flatmate #1's share. The way Splitwise is currently functioning, it sees the overage as a debt to be repaid.

But it isn't. Flatmate #2 is giving Flatmate #1 the gift of paying off his debt. It is a gift with no expectation of repayment.

I cannot figure out how to log this in Splitwise. It isn't a "reimbursement". I cannot log it as a simple "settle up". I don't know what to…

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Hmm…interesting! I’ll pass on this feedback – I haven’t heard much about people adding transactions on Splitwise that aren’t actually IOUs or payments.

For now, your best bet is probably to edit your rent expense, so that each flatmate’s share reflects the actual amount they’ve been paying (including the gift). So if everyone pays $500/mo normally, and flatmate #1 is paying an extra $100 on flatmate #2’s behalf, you could edit the bill to say that flatmate #1’s share is $600 and flatmate #2’s share is $400. Then, when each person pays their adjusted share, there should be no remaining debt between the two of them. Hope that helps for the time being!

8. enable mass editing of expenses

I have a bunch of expenses that I want to put in a group but I can't find a way to do it other than one at a time. There should be a way to edit several fields on multiple expenses at once. I see there's a suggestion called "Bulk Edit Expense" but it hasn't been commented on since 2012.

By the way, I just clicked to sign in with Google and got this security message from Chrome: You attempted to reach feedback.splitwise.com, but instead you actually reached a server identifying itself as *.uservoice.com. This may be caused by a…

93 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    84 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Updating this as it’s been a while. We’ve discussed this a few times and can see how it would be useful in a few cases (such as mass-moving expenses between groups – if you or anyone else needs help with that, feel free to send us a support email). We’ll keep it open for now for further voting and comments.

9. build a feature that lets someone add an expense now but select a later date (or multiple dates) for it to "hit"

Just sent this to the "contact support" group....

I'd love a feature that allows me to add an expense immediately but choose a later date or dates at which it will be added to expense calculations. Some possible choices:

-simple "save until next month" option
    -select the specific date that it will be included in group calculations
    -spread the cost across the next 3, 6, or 12 months
    -hold for low expense month: Splitwise knows average monthly cost and automatically drops expense into month with below-average expenses

Thanks! I use this tool for many groups, including managing a 7-person house.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the detailed suggestion! I can definitely see how this’d be useful, though we’d want to be careful and make sure the extra options don’t cause undue confusion. I’ll add this to our list of possible improvements to discuss :)

10. Make the 'final' amounts that group members owe each other far more obvious than the amount that you have 'lent' each group member.

As above.
    Once all the group members have joined and the receipts have been added, the amount 'lent' by each group member to the individual payees is FAR MORE OBVIOUS than the final 'balance' that you owe. Why do you have to click or hover the cursor over your name on the right hand side to see this balance. It's not the first thing that your eye is drawn to.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! Just trying to make sure I understand your feedback correctly – are you talking about the right-hand sidebar on the group screen, which lists each group member and their balance?

When looking at a group, we’ve generally found that people prefer to view the total balances of each group member, rather than the specific amount that each person owes you. I know that different people have different personal preferences, though, so sorry if that’s throwing you off!

I don’t think we’re likely to change which number is displayed there in the near future, but I’ll pass on your message and see if there are any tweaks we can think of to make this clearer. Again, apologies for the confusion!

11. Mac App

It would be great if there was a mac app version - it could integrate with the notification centre for transfers and thing.

40 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  12. make pie chart colors the same from month to month

I like that we can see trends in the pie chart and have a visual of where our spendings fall from month to month. However, when I compare months, the categories are different colors. It would be much readable and helpful if colors stayed consistent for the sake of comparison. Thank you!

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! Our charts could definitely use some improvement, and we’re planning to redo them in the near future – I’ll see if we can keep the colors consistent when we do that.

13. support item in itemized bill 'consumed' by X, but paid for by person(s) Y, Z

Every friday, I organize a group dinner. Frequently, people attend who are in a relationship. Sometimes, even non-monogamous (poly) relationships.

It would be really awesome if I could enter an itemized bill in this way:

item, cost, participants
    eggrolls, 8.00, Janet, Steve, Tim, April
    pad thai, 10.00, Janet
    basil chicken, 10.00, Steve
    fried chicken over fried rice, 10.00, Tim

Tax: 8.75%
    Tip: 20.00%

People pay for another:
    Janet: paid for by Steve, Tim

and thus get this break down:
    egg rolls: $3.00 for steve, $3.00 for tim, $2.00 for april
    pad thai: $5.00 for steve, $5.00 for tim

and then…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! I can see how this would be useful for group dinners and such. We haven’t worked on our itemized bill form for a while, as it’s a pretty infrequently used feature on Splitwise, but I’ll pass on your suggestion and add it to our list of possible improvements.

14. Easy switching for who is paying who when settling up

I tend to lend money to my friends and use settle up option to record cash payments and keep a track of who owes what. When clicking settling up, it'd show from and to depending on who owes who (which is fine).

What I think will help is an option to switch it (probably by clicking the arrow). As of now, I've to manually select it by clicking on the names and re-selecting it.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow select/deselect all in the simplify page

In the simplify option in settings, since there are a lot of check boxes, and I usually select all of them, it would be nice if there was a select all option.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add multiple currency support for charts

When displaying charts in a group with expenses in multiple currencies, the sums are stated unconverted in the default currency, which makes the chart useless. If currency conversion (which would be very cool!) is not on your current roadmap, you could at least display a chart for each currency.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! Not many people use 2+ currencies, which is why this has gone neglected until now, but we’d definitely like to improve it. We’ll probably start by simply showing one currency on the charts screen (and ignoring expenses in other currencies), then later move on to either showing multiple charts or doing actual currency conversion. Until then, apologies for the inconvenience!

17. Make "Simplify Debts" not hidden under "advanced options" on the group creation page

Currently, on the new group creation page (splitwise.com/groups/new), you must click "advanced options" before seeing the "Simplify Debts" toggle. Because it's not readily visible, I've seen several fellow users forget to turn simplify on when they meant to.

Also, it seems a bit redundant to have an advanced options link since the simplify toggle is currently the only option.

I understand why simplify is buried in the settings after the group is created (to prevent members from toggling too frequently and confusing the rest of the group), but it doesn't seem this is an issue during the creation phase.

If…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Hey Ian – thanks for the feedback! I definitely understand where you’re coming from, though figuring out how much to prioritize “simplify debts” has been an ongoing question for us, and we’ve tried it a lot of different ways over time. Even with its current semi-hidden placement, there are a significant number of people who turn it on without fully understanding what it does, and who then email us about their balances “not adding up correctly”.

Still, we hope to keep improving on it! We have some ideas that might help explain it better to the people who get confused, and we’ll probably be trying some of those out early next year. Moving the placement of the setting might be part of that process. In the meantime, apologies for the trouble!

18. Javscript

Why on earth is all of your javascript on the main page and that too without encryption ?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Kshitij! The reason our JavaScript is included in the main page is mostly because of how Splitwise /used/ to work a few years ago – we used to include a lot of customized code depending on exactly which user was loading the page. We’d like to move our JS code to a separate page sometime soon, mainly to improve page loading/caching performance.

Also, we may obfuscate our JavaScript code at some point in the future, but there’s no way to actually encrypt JavaScript in the browser – your browser has to be able to read the code in order to run it. Obfuscating JavaScript files can be useful for improving load time, since the file sizes are usually smaller, but we also enjoy keeping our code readable, especially since it lets other people look at your front-end code and learn how it works. (There isn’t any secure information in…

19. Download all the expenses of current month

Add the option to download all expenses of the current month. Now we can download expense on a particular group,but not on all expenses made by me (including all groups and individuals) for current month.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll pass it on at our next team meeting – I know we haven’t updated our export options for a while, so maybe we’ll get a chance to update them soon.

20. Relationships for debt calculation

So I have a few groups with some friends, and not all of them know each other. Occasionally, when I add a combined bill, Splitwise simplifies debts in a way that person A ends up owing person B, who don't really know each other. It ends up being an awkward situation which I resolve by taking the money from A and giving it to B.

It would be cool if Splitwise showed me a graph with nodes for myself and every person I've ever shared a bill with (or scoped within a group for simplicity), and then let me add…

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Sameer – are you talking about the “Simplify debts” feature for groups? In general, we’ve assumed that everyone in a group knows each other, as groups are usually used for apartments and group trips and things like that. Could you give me more details on the specific case where this problem is happening for you? It’d be good to have more background and make sure we understand where you’re coming from.

On the other hand, if you’re talking about the “Simplify debts” feature that works outside of groups, then our algorithm should take this into account already, as it only moves around debt between people who already have outstanding balances with each other.

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base