General

1. addd option to add previous dues for starters

I just started using this app. No doubt, this is exactly what I was looking for. But previously I used a note taking app for the same purpose and would like to add previous dues to person while starting as a new user. In other words an option to add initial debt to a new user added would be an amazing add on!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Mavericks/Safari push notifications

It would be great if you supported Safari push notifications in OS X Mavericks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This would definitely be a cool addition at some point! It’s probably at least a little ways down the line (heck, we’re still working on bringing iOS/Android push notifications up to speed), but I’ll add it to our list of ideas for the future :)

3. Hiding of types of expenses and/or Favorites

Hi, I think it will be useful if you can hide some of the expenses you won't be using at all or as an alternative, there may be one more category - favorites and there you may put the ones that you use most. Great site!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. to change the icon for deleting an expense

I feel a trash icon for deleting an expense, rather than the cross (X).

When we click on an expense, theres an expansion of the expense's details right.
    And when we want to close the expense expansion, intuitively it feels like the cross (X) icon closes the expansion.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Default currency for a group in the web client

On the mobile client, whenever I add a new bill, it automatically uses the currency that I've been using in that group (e.g. I'm currently on vacation in Europe, and I'm putting all expenses in EUR).

On the web app, it still defaulted to USD $. It's not a huge deal since I can edit it, but would be nice if it defaulted to the commonly used currency in the group or something.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! That makes sense – our multi-currency support could definitely use some polish across our different apps. I’ll pass on your thoughts, and hopefully we’ll be able to improve this the next time we make a round of updates to multi-currency support :)

6. Dont block users (i.e. make them wait) when saving the current 'card'

When one clicks a 'save' button after entering the expenses, the app syncs the data from the server not in the background but allows the user to wait for the card to disappear, which might take a dozen of seconds to happen on a slow internet connection. I think you might have figured out by now that what needs to be done ;)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! This definitely makes sense, though I know there are also some technical concerns (such as what to do when saving the expense returns an error). Still, hopefully something we can add in a future update :)

7. Allow us to enter payees (like electric company or gas company) to which we pay bills, instead of just individual bills.

I pay three primary bills a month; gas, electric, and internet. If I were able to look at these companies as a "payee" such as Consumers Energy, it would be super nice. Then, if you were to add the functionality of being able to look at your "history" with that payee, average monthly expense, and maybe some suggestions on saving for bills, it would be super helpful.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. You can only collapse an expanded expense by clicking exactly horizontal with the expense total

I just noticed that the only area listening for a click to collapse an expanded expenses is a thin strip exactly parallel with with amount total of the expense. It would be nice if clicking anywhere in the expanded expense header collapsed the expense.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks Anon,

Very interesting suggestion! That is by design, but I’m curious to see if other people agree. Personally, I like they way it works but I’ll leave this under review to think about as we are tweaking design.

Cheers,
    Jon

9. Make the Spending Breakdown table sortable or at least order it by amount spent

Also, I don't see a reason to provide my name and email every time I want to give feedback…while logged in.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your feedback. This is a sensible request that I can see us considering next time we make an update to the spending breakdown view.

Our support system is run by a third party (UserVoice). We don’t have a way to automatically pass them your info when you go to access support from the web app, hence the ask.

10. Let me link to my profile for people to add ME

I want to share my profile on facebook with a bunch of my friends so that they can add me and I don't have to collect email addresses. Or just have my facebook/google friends be on my friends list by default, then if they make an account we're already friends and they can see their balance.

Also, what good does linking my google or facebook do?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

It certainly makes sense to have a shareable profile link – in fact, I’m pretty sure that’s on our to-do list already (we just haven’t gotten to it yet). I’ll pass on the “default friends list” suggestion as well.

Right now, connecting with Google lets you access your Google contacts straight from Splitwise, so that when you start typing in a name, we can autocomplete that person’s email address. (Connecting with Facebook just lets you log in; we don’t currently request any access to your list of Facebook friends.)

11. Make it more clear how to remove someone from a group

I couldn't find where to remove a person from a group on the web app, so I had to do it on my mobile app. Ideally it would as straightforward on each

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! Yep, our website could definitely use some love in the near future – apologies for the confusion. If you need to do this again in the near future, you can remove a group member on the web by opening that group’s page, then clicking the “Settings” icon at the top of the right sidebar and choosing “Edit group settings”.

12. when we click on "settle up" it should generate a table for expense for individuals in group rather than using "owe" type of ambiguis termin

when i click to settle up a joint account for A,B,C,D persons it should reflect a table also

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

If you click on “view full details” under the group balances on the website, you will get a more detailed list of how we think you should settle up with individual settle up buttons like you describe.

We should probably consider showing more options after clicking the general settle up button on the group page.

Marshall

13. create a simple printable summary

I see the detailed summary and the simple group balances view. I wish there were a printable summary of group balances that I could include in an email so that I can explain how much people will pay in an email without taking a screenshot.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! Yeah, I can see how it would be useful to have something to download and share, especially if not everyone is actually logging in to Splitwise. I’ll add this to our list of possible improvements.

14. New Product Suggestion - Bank Ledger

I love your platform. You should totally add the ability to allow people to use splitwise as a bank ledger. Essentially it would be the same as your current product save for the other entity in the "group" would be a bank instead of another person.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We’d definitely like to include better bank support in the future, though it’ll probably take us a long time to do any actual bank integrations. For now, you could try creating a group, with yourself and one other member called “Bank”, and keep track of a ledger that way…it’s a bit messy, but could be worth a try!

15. Expense reminder

I made an expense with a friend who is out of reach for a month. I have already added it to Splitwise but the share has not been decided. I want a reminder after 'd' days (when my friend is likely to be back) that the amount in the expense needs revision. Is this currently do-able?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I can see why you would want a reminder in this case. This isn’t doable at the moment, though you could add a comment to the expense that you need to update it.

We’re really loathe to add “do it later” features in general to the app because if you get into the habit of putting off entering data (which is the most annoying part of any app like this), you can wind up with a pile of unfinished expenses.

We have a couple of potential features that might help with this, though, so I’m leaving this as under review.

Marshall

16. the "me" requirement for quick-add is inconvenient

Hi, I've been using splitwise for years now, as a replacement for Billmonk. I might not be your typical user since I use it to keep track of what family members owe me, and we never split bills. Thus when I use "quick add", I don't understand why if I write, "sonya owes 54 for dress" it automatically splits the bill and I have to manually un-split it. I have to remember to write, "sonya owes ME 54 for dress" to avoid splitting. If I say she owes me 54, then she owes me 54, not 27. Thanks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Enable a toggle between simplify debts "on" and "off"

"Simplify debts" is by far the easiest way to get squared up, say, at the end of the month. However, it confuses the heck out of some of my friends who get confused by the idea of owing a whole bunch of money to one person to whom they might not owe anything directly (eg "Why do I own $100 to person A? She never lent me money" "well it's because you own person B money, and person B owes person A" ... you get the idea.

If you could quickly toggle between the simplified and unsimplified debts, it would…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion, and sorry for the trouble! We definitely want to make “simplify debts” a bit clearer, though we’ve had trouble successfully doing that. (That’s actually one of the reasons it’s buried in the settings now – some people used to turn it on and off quite frequently, and then OTHER members of their groups would get confused about why their balances were changing.) I like the idea of a temporary toggle, though, to just “preview” what the group would look like the other way. I’ll pass on the feedback and see if we can add it to our list of future updates :)

18. Add subscription feeds to the calendar function

Add support for calendar subscriptions (i.e., .ics .gcal .html) to the calendar function for groups. Simply having a calendar item that said "Pay <name> for <bill name>" or "<bill name> due" would be great. I would find this especially handy for recurring bills (e.g., utilities, rent, groceries).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Assign the correct person when I click to send a reminder

There´s a link with people's name, then there's one button close to each name to "Send a reminder". As I clicked the button close to the person's name, I thought it was going to send to that person, but what happened is that I send the same reminder to the same person a few times, because I missed the dropdown to actually select the person. Makes sense?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. make a chrome extension that adds a "splitwise" button to transactions on Mint

I don't always remember to split a transaction as soon as it happens, or the transaction is one that I'm not physically present for (like when the power company autobills). It would be cool if there was a chrome extension that scraped data from the Mint transactions page when I visit it so that when I review my transactions on Mint I can just click a button (inserted onto the page via extension) to auto-import that transaction into Splitwise

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We actually sort of love this idea (we’ve definitely thought about it before), though it hasn’t actually made it on to our roadmap yet, and I’m not sure if we’d do it by a Chrome extension or by some other means. In general, though, we think it would be super convenient to import expenses directly from your other accounts :) Hopefully in the future!

• Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base