Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi there,

Thanks for the clear suggestion. Makes sense to me, but also probably slow for large accounts.

Leaving open / under review to see how many other folks want to vote for it.

Best,
    Jon

2. Make the search more prominent

I had to click my name, and then click on 'Search'. This surprised me and I thought that my Splitwise Pro had run out.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Attachments

Allow downloading of attachments on the web version along with the excel file

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Make a nice way to add old bills

I add lots of bills at once, with Splitwise and my bank statement side-by-side.

When doing so, I every transaction assumes the current date and I must click to change it to the day I actually bought dog food / detergent / whatever.

It would be nice to have a 'calendar view' such that I could click on a day and add a bill _to that date_, sort of like how you add events to the Google Calendar / iCal.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Sending a reminder to the entire group makes sense, and we’re planning on adding push notifications at some point (though probably not text message notifications). Thanks for the suggestions!

6. Intelligently Choose Year in Quick Add

When entering expenses in the quick add form, it always picks the current year if you just enter a dd/MM date. I would imagine that most people using this are going to be entering past expenses, but if you use this for entering last year's expenses after new year, then the year goes in wrong. For example, I've entered an expense on 24/12, which gets interpreted in 2017.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion – that definitely makes sense! Quick-add is a pretty infrequently used part of Splitwise, so this probably won’t be fixed right away, but hopefully it’s something we can take a look at before 2018 :)

7. Help Button or Link

You ought to have a "Help" or "Documentation" link somewhere in the UI.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! We currently have a “Feedback” link in the lower right of every page, which includes links to all our helpdesk articles. I’ll pass on your suggestion and see if it makes sense to add additional help links elsewhere on our website.

8. build a feature that lets someone add an expense now but select a later date (or multiple dates) for it to "hit"

Just sent this to the "contact support" group....

I'd love a feature that allows me to add an expense immediately but choose a later date or dates at which it will be added to expense calculations. Some possible choices:

-simple "save until next month" option
    -select the specific date that it will be included in group calculations
    -spread the cost across the next 3, 6, or 12 months
    -hold for low expense month: Splitwise knows average monthly cost and automatically drops expense into month with below-average expenses

Thanks! I use this tool for many groups, including managing a 7-person house.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the detailed suggestion! I can definitely see how this’d be useful, though we’d want to be careful and make sure the extra options don’t cause undue confusion. I’ll add this to our list of possible improvements to discuss :)

9. Allow a bill to send email notification to all involved

I see that you don't want to spam by enabling email notifications by default, but what if you allow the bill creator to check a box saying "notify all involved in this bill," and when you send the email, say "User X asked us to send this to you" (or something to that effect).

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This a decent suggestion – I’ll pass it on, though I’m not sure it’ll get on the roadmap in the near future. We tend to err on the side of caution, because when we send emails without users’ permission, we often get flagged as spam or have to deal with angry replies :( But this makes sense, and would definitely be useful.

10. to give a added feature of getting monthly expence made by each person after or before the settlement.

this features helps us to track our monthly expenses individually. And also the group expenses spent monthly. That is if I add a bill the flow should go on as it is working now additionally there should be extra feature which keeps individual expenses which should be highlighted in our profile. And after settlements also it should get adjusted automatically then individual person can know how much he has spent for a month. For example :
    in a group of 3, all will be adding there bills but there is be no indication of individual expense, so by adding this…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Textbox for Quantity

Next to the $ text box add a text box for Quantity which will help reduce the amount of time the user when entering itemized bills

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. right bar

make the gear icon at the top right not look disabled when it's not selected

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Readability of money spent by month for each

Feedback for UX people:

I feel it super hard to read the money we spent every month.
    To be fair I don't care much about the breakdown in categories, because we even forget to assign the categories sometimes and don't want to be bothered.
    The only thing we'd like to see is how much we spent each, month by month on a simple line chart. For example if we are 2: you have 2 line charts of different colors and see the spendings month after month. (Note column charts could be better). A simple interaction could be to make the…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Reauthorize Venmo

It makes me re-athorize with Venmo each time? Instead of just storing the credentials? A bit annoying when trying to batch-settle up

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Brian,

Fair enough, and sorry for the trouble. Eventually, you won’t have to re-authorize each time. It will probably be a few months before allow anyone to store a payment credential but we love the idea.

Cheers,
    Jon

15. Allow fixed and percentage splitting

I used to use billmonk and it had an awesome feature which splitwise is lacking. It is the ability to split by fixed amount and percentage.

eg. Total bill: $38.50

UserA: $10.30
    UserB: 1/2 of remainder
    UserC: 1/2 of remainder

Of course, if there were more users, it will be 1/3, 1/4 of remainder.
    Would be great to see this feature implemented!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Anon,

Thanks for the cool suggestion. Yes, there have been a couple situations where I would have done this myself. Our new Plates app for iPhone can do this for dinner bills, and I’ve certainly found it useful there.

Cheers,
    Jon

16. Ability to list all the payments that I owe for a particular person in the group

Currently there some doesn't seem to be an option to retrieve an itemized list of expenses that I owe to particular person in the group or expenses that I paid for which a particular person owes me

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow pasting of clipboard image for bill receipt

Allow pasting of clipboard image directly , for receipts in Splitwise bill instead of only allowing us to upload from PC. Many times, the bill receipts will be present in Gmail or Google photos. We could take a screenshot of that receipt by pasting it to the clipboard. If Splitwise provides a feature to directly paste the clipboard's image for bill receipts, instead of having to download that image or PDF and upload it, it'd be great.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Make "Simplify Debts" not hidden under "advanced options" on the group creation page

Currently, on the new group creation page (splitwise.com/groups/new), you must click "advanced options" before seeing the "Simplify Debts" toggle. Because it's not readily visible, I've seen several fellow users forget to turn simplify on when they meant to.

Also, it seems a bit redundant to have an advanced options link since the simplify toggle is currently the only option.

I understand why simplify is buried in the settings after the group is created (to prevent members from toggling too frequently and confusing the rest of the group), but it doesn't seem this is an issue during the creation phase.

If…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Ian – thanks for the feedback! I definitely understand where you’re coming from, though figuring out how much to prioritize “simplify debts” has been an ongoing question for us, and we’ve tried it a lot of different ways over time. Even with its current semi-hidden placement, there are a significant number of people who turn it on without fully understanding what it does, and who then email us about their balances “not adding up correctly”.

Still, we hope to keep improving on it! We have some ideas that might help explain it better to the people who get confused, and we’ll probably be trying some of those out early next year. Moving the placement of the setting might be part of that process. In the meantime, apologies for the trouble!

19. Sync with Gmail contacts when entering email addresses for a group

When I create a group, I should be able to access Gmail contacts when I enter their addresses

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. update pdf summaries of the months

the pdf summaries don't include rollover payments from previous months (if my roommates still owe me money last month it won't show effectively when looking at the pdf this month). also it says i owe my roommate when she actually paid me back for things she owes me for. the site is great, but if i ever needed to print out the pdf it would be all wrong.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base