General

1. Facebook Group integration

It would be wonderful if Splitwise could integrate with a Facebook Group so that all members of a group became part of a Splitwise group too.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’ll pass on the suggestion! For now, you could try using the “share an invite link” function, which gives you a link that anyone can use to join the group. On the web, you can get this link by going to the group’s settings page, then clicking on “Send your friends an invite link” above the list of group members. Hope that helps!

2. support item in itemized bill 'consumed' by X, but paid for by person(s) Y, Z

Every friday, I organize a group dinner. Frequently, people attend who are in a relationship. Sometimes, even non-monogamous (poly) relationships.

It would be really awesome if I could enter an itemized bill in this way:

item, cost, participants
    eggrolls, 8.00, Janet, Steve, Tim, April
    pad thai, 10.00, Janet
    basil chicken, 10.00, Steve
    fried chicken over fried rice, 10.00, Tim

Tax: 8.75%
    Tip: 20.00%

People pay for another:
    Janet: paid for by Steve, Tim

and thus get this break down:
    egg rolls: $3.00 for steve, $3.00 for tim, $2.00 for april
    pad thai: $5.00 for steve, $5.00 for tim

and then…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! I can see how this would be useful for group dinners and such. We haven’t worked on our itemized bill form for a while, as it’s a pretty infrequently used feature on Splitwise, but I’ll pass on your suggestion and add it to our list of possible improvements.

3. Give us Option to Add Tentative figures without syncing

Kudos to the Website Design accessibility and the whole idea for creating this kind of a website.

One suggestion :

Give us an option to add tentative figures or figures which are too small to be added directly but can be posted after accumulating together

For eg to explain with a hypothetical situation;
    Salt - Rs 20 can be added and kept aside without syncing.( Keep in Reserve )
    Once I buy Sugar Rs 60 etc
    I can accumulate together and make entry as
    Salt & Sugar - 80
    etc

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your kind words about Splitwise and for providing your suggestion.

We’ve thought about this a bit, but we worry that it’ll get confusing and add extra work — people might forget they added a ‘pending’ bill, never add it to their ‘real’ ledger, or their friend will add it in the meanwhile and there will be duplicates.

May I ask why you wouldn’t just want to add “Salt 20 Rs” to Splitwise right away? It’s seems that it’d be as much work as adding the ‘pending’ expense, and then going back later to ‘really’ add it. Is it about not wanting to ‘spam’ friends with emails about expenses added?

Thanks!
    ZC

4. Add an option to select first day of week

Add an option under profile to select the first day of the week: Monday or Sunday.
    This option is then taken into account when showing the calendar / date selector.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi there,

Thanks for the suggestion! We always appreciate ideas to make Splitwise better. Having support for a different first day of the week makes complete sense, and is most definitely an interesting suggestion.

5. Allow Custom Labels

Been using your app for a while now, it's pretty sweet!

Thought it might be cool to be able to add my own custom labels to bills. Similar to the 'Recurring' labels that automatically gets added to bills. That way I would be able to mark bills as 'Paid' or add other useful information that is relevant to my room mates and should be visible at a glance.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Interesting – I can see how this would be useful. I’ll add it to our list of possible future updates. For the time being, you could try using the “Notes” field to accomplish something similar, though obviously it’s a bit more buried (you’d need to click on each expense to view its “labels”).

6. add a cancel button to this page

add a cancel button to the new group page

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! I think we left this off intentionally to make the page a little simpler to use in the general case of just getting started, though I’ll see if we can think about adding a cancel button here.

Marshall

7. Allow Deposits to be maintained.

Eg. If A and B paid 2500 and 1500 for Deposit (of anything) and B takes back the entire 4000, Then B owes A - 2500.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Data Display

I wish there was a way to see all the charges for one person over the past year that they have had to pay. Like, if one roommate gave me $50, then I could see $50, and then the successive bills added, which would take away from the $50. So I could see the build up and succession of payments and bills. I remember at some point, I could see a line graph of what one person owed so see how each bill affected how much they owed at a certain time. I can't seem to do that in the…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Get Whitelisted by AdBlockPlus

Your advertising isn't obtrusive or annoying, and your service is super useful. You should see about getting whitelisted by AdBlockPlus because you completely deserve to get paid.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Upcoming payments instead of "You Owe"

When you put in a payment that is due a month later, the web app shows it as "You Owe" right up there. I think this gives off kind of an in-your-face feeling. It would be better to separate it into periods/sections, where you show payments due this month, upcoming payments next month, etc. You Owe makes me think I have to pay something right now, even though it's due a month later.

Hope you find this helpful.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve been hesitant to break up bills into months or other chunks of time, given the many different ways in which people use Splitwise, but I can see how this might be useful. I’ll pass on the suggestion at our next design meeting :)

11. fix the tax/tip section

Can you adjust the UI such that it explains you can add as a percentage or a fixed amount. The gray text claims % but if i plug in 7 (for 7%) it splits $7 of tax, not 7% of the subtotal.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the confusion! It’s intentional that you can enter either a whole amount ($7) or a percentage (7%) in that box, but it could probably be improved to be clearer. I’ll add this to our list of possible things to work on in the future.

12. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! I can see how this would be useful – maybe we could add it as an optional setting? I don’t think we’d want to do it automatically, as there are some cases where it doesn’t really apply (e.g. when a new person moves into an existing apartment after a few months). Regardless, I’ll pass on the idea. Thanks!

13. Itemize each persons 'debts'

I wish I could click on the persons name on the left hand of the screen, see how much I owe them, and break it down exactly by what I owe and why.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We try to do this already – when you click a person’s name on the left, it should bring up a screen that tells you their total balance with you, and lists all of the transactions you have with that person (and how much you owe/are owed for each).

Unfortunately, it’s hard to break this down further for groups that use debt simplification…but we’re working on it! We have some ideas, and hopefully you’ll see some updates in the next few months.

14. There should be a "Hide items not involving me" button for "All Expenses"

There is no "Hide Items not involving me" button for the "All Expenses" tab. It is there for the specific groups.
    I also tried to go to the group that I want to hide transactions from and then come back to the "All Expenses" tab, but it does not seem to work.
    It would be good to have this functionality since I need to track transactions, and not just what I owe most of the time, and the alternative, "Recent Activity" tab does not seem to be of the same use. Don't know how difficult it would be to implement…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. identifying the member who owes the most in a group

In group with lots of members it is difficult to find out who owes/is owed the most. It would make it easier for that member to pay large expenses and even up with the rest of the group.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Have pie chart display based on my expense(my share) alone and not the total amount spent

At first, appreciate the pie chart that displays the expense slit for every month. But the split is based on the total amount spent and not the amount that I owe. For example, if my friend has added a bill for shopping where I owe only a little amount, then in the pie chart I would like my share to be shown and not the entire amount.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. To add option to see yearly Expenses

I can see the expenses for individual months. If i want to see combined expenses for multiple months and yearly then there should be a option to see that expenses

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. New Group

when you add a new group, you should have the option of carrying over balances for those members into the group.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Provide a tutorial and "how to"

I love the concept and design of your website. But I can't find a place to learn how to use it, and how to share the "how to" part with others who are not yet on SplitWise.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! We try to make Splitwise self-explanatory as much as possible, with small tutorials as you use the app, but I definitely see how a more complete “how to” guide would be useful. I’ll add that to our list of possible improvements for the future.

20. Adding EdenRed/Sodexo coupons in the website.

Dear Team,
    Please consider adding EdenRed/Sodexo coupons column along with money as many people in India get EdenRed/Sodexo coupons as a part of their salary.
    Would love to see a reply for my suggestion

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi there,

Just to clarify, is the suggestion adding them as a “currency” or as a payment method (ala PayPal)? Are they denominated in points, or in INR, or some other currency?

Cheers,
    Jon

• Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base