Skip to content

General

186 results found

1. Integration with Amazon Dash buttons?

My roommate and I both use items that are purchased through my Amazon Prime Dash buttons, it would be nice not to have to keep track of how many times they've been pressed and auto load into splitwise!

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  2. Provide a Document Center

I am planning on using Split Wise as a hub for running our apartment.

It would be nice to have a small communal document area to store some of our agreements. As an example, I would like to upload a roommate agreement that was signed by all of the roommates.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! I think it’s unlikely that we’ll do this – we really want to focus on just the expense sharing problem. If we get a lot of votes here, we’ll reconsider this.

Marshall

3. Allow Deposits to be maintained.

Eg. If A and B paid 2500 and 1500 for Deposit (of anything) and B takes back the entire 4000, Then B owes A - 2500.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Make reimbursements look different than charges

I got a rewards credit on my credit card statement, and since it was for joint charges, i wanted to split that extra $25 with him - aka he now owes me $12.50 less than before and I owe him $12.50 less. But nothing after the "create bill" screen makes the bill look like a credit and I'm having to do math manually to make sure it worked. Perhaps if reimbursements looked different than negative bills it would be easier to track these?

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the confusion! You’re definitely right that reimbursements aren’t presented very well…they’re a pretty rarely used feature, so we haven’t had a chance to give them much love yet. I’ll add this to our list of possible improvements for future updates – until then, apologies for the inconvenience!

5. Pro Feature: Total expenses based on a filter

It would be cool if I could create a custom filter for totaling expenses in a group. Use case: My housemate never names his grocery runs anything sane (i.e. something with 'groceries' in it so that your metadata tracker picks up on the category). I would like to create a glob/regex filter to add in all expenses with "woodman" in the title to grocery category.

Unless your auto-categorization is perfect or this filter feature is added, the usefulness of pro-charts is limited.

Pro looks promising so far, thought. Thanks!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion Julian, and for upgrading to Pro.

I can definitely see how this would be useful for some folks. Not sure if/when it’ll make it onto the road map (we’re 4 engineers), so for now let me suggest that your roommate manually categorize all the groceries expenses they don’t name something ‘common’.

Cheers, Zoe

6. Sorting on Expenses

Splitwise is an amazing website..Congratulation on building such a wonderful tool. .. I think you can add sorting on columns like person who paid expenses.. Sorting on expenses description and on other columns.. this helps when lot of people are involved in the group.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the details, Jitendra! I’ll pass on your suggestion. For now, you could try exporting your group to a spreadsheet, which would let you do some custom sorting. If you’d like to export to spreadsheet, just open your group page, then click the “Settings” icon at the top of the right sidebar and choose “Export as spreadsheet”. Hope that helps!

7. Different FOREX for each member of group

When I travel I regularly use different currencies and so do my friends. Between every two pair of people there is a preferred currency of settlement and there is a set of currencies which they have access to. It would be great if people could choose which currencies they would like to be settled with in each transaction and people could define which currencies they are able to pay with (groupwise or at the transaction level). Splitwise would do its magic in when simplifying debt and would determine who owes who and what in which currency.
    Splitwise could also offer…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! I know Splitwise isn’t perfect for people using large numbers of currencies all at once, and that’s something we want to keep improving over time. I’ll add this to our list of possible improvements for the future :)

8. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! Yep, this annoys me too :) I think we’re hoping to do some web cleanup work later this summer and fall, so I’ll add this to our list of possible improvements.

9. UI design tweak - "Are you sure?" confirmation popup before discarding yet-to-be-added bills.

I click "Add a bill", start filling up the details. I accidentally click "Esc", which discards the popup in its entirety with all the details I filled (especially sad when this happens for Itemized bills).

A simple popup "This bill hasn't been added yet, are you sure you want to discard?" would be a much loved (at least by me :))

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Oh no, sorry for the trouble! I can definitely see how this would prevent some accidents :) I’ll add it to our list of possible web improvements – I don’t think we’re planning much web work in the very near future, but hopefully soon!

10. expense sorting in group

It would be great and easier for the user to have the option of sorting the expenses based on amount, date, category,and payee in the group.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion – I’ll pass it on! For now, your best option is probably to export your group to a spreadsheet (by going to your group, then clicking the settings icon at the top of the right sidebar and choosing “Export as spreadsheet”), then using Excel or other spreadsheet programs to sort the output. How that helps!

11. "Pay all" or auth queue when settling up

When I settled up I owed 3 different people. They all take Venmo. I had to go through "Settle Up" 3 times, each time hitting "Settle Up", then "Venmo" again, then authenticating w/ Venmo again - each time, it was just doing the top payment off the list.

Should either be a way to bulk-process, or, if not supported by their API, at least do a queue so it prompts me for the next person I owe.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback Andy! I understand why this would be useful. You’re right — Venmo API wouldn’t support this — but I will bring the idea of queueing payments up on our side next time the team discusses ‘Settle Up’.

Cheers, Zoe

12. Add preferred people to debt simplification

Debt Simplification can be more awesome if i can re-simplify adding a preferred payer

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  13. [BUG] Tab order in group creation messy

Tab order in Group creation under /groups/new is wonky after you've added a bunch of extra people.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  14. add increase/decrease buttons next to shares number fields

Every time I use this feature I think about how nice it would be to not touch the keyboard while increasing shares ;)

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Give us Option to Add Tentative figures without syncing

Kudos to the Website Design accessibility and the whole idea for creating this kind of a website.

One suggestion :

Give us an option to add tentative figures or figures which are too small to be added directly but can be posted after accumulating together

For eg to explain with a hypothetical situation;
    Salt - Rs 20 can be added and kept aside without syncing.( Keep in Reserve )
    Once I buy Sugar Rs 60 etc
    I can accumulate together and make entry as
    Salt & Sugar - 80
    etc

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your kind words about Splitwise and for providing your suggestion.

We’ve thought about this a bit, but we worry that it’ll get confusing and add extra work — people might forget they added a ‘pending’ bill, never add it to their ‘real’ ledger, or their friend will add it in the meanwhile and there will be duplicates.

May I ask why you wouldn’t just want to add “Salt 20 Rs” to Splitwise right away? It’s seems that it’d be as much work as adding the ‘pending’ expense, and then going back later to ‘really’ add it. Is it about not wanting to ‘spam’ friends with emails about expenses added?

Thanks!
    ZC

16. allow gift payments that don't need to be paid back

In my household, I pay the rent and then my flatmates reimburse me. This works beautifully, normally.

Lately, flatmate #2 has been paying a little extra to cover flatmate #1's share. The way Splitwise is currently functioning, it sees the overage as a debt to be repaid.

But it isn't. Flatmate #2 is giving Flatmate #1 the gift of paying off his debt. It is a gift with no expectation of repayment.

I cannot figure out how to log this in Splitwise. It isn't a "reimbursement". I cannot log it as a simple "settle up". I don't know what to…

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Hmm…interesting! I’ll pass on this feedback – I haven’t heard much about people adding transactions on Splitwise that aren’t actually IOUs or payments.

For now, your best bet is probably to edit your rent expense, so that each flatmate’s share reflects the actual amount they’ve been paying (including the gift). So if everyone pays $500/mo normally, and flatmate #1 is paying an extra $100 on flatmate #2’s behalf, you could edit the bill to say that flatmate #1’s share is $600 and flatmate #2’s share is $400. Then, when each person pays their adjusted share, there should be no remaining debt between the two of them. Hope that helps for the time being!

17. enable mass editing of expenses

I have a bunch of expenses that I want to put in a group but I can't find a way to do it other than one at a time. There should be a way to edit several fields on multiple expenses at once. I see there's a suggestion called "Bulk Edit Expense" but it hasn't been commented on since 2012.

By the way, I just clicked to sign in with Google and got this security message from Chrome: You attempted to reach feedback.splitwise.com, but instead you actually reached a server identifying itself as *.uservoice.com. This may be caused by a…

93 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    84 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Updating this as it’s been a while. We’ve discussed this a few times and can see how it would be useful in a few cases (such as mass-moving expenses between groups – if you or anyone else needs help with that, feel free to send us a support email). We’ll keep it open for now for further voting and comments.

18. build a feature that lets someone add an expense now but select a later date (or multiple dates) for it to "hit"

Just sent this to the "contact support" group....

I'd love a feature that allows me to add an expense immediately but choose a later date or dates at which it will be added to expense calculations. Some possible choices:

-simple "save until next month" option
    -select the specific date that it will be included in group calculations
    -spread the cost across the next 3, 6, or 12 months
    -hold for low expense month: Splitwise knows average monthly cost and automatically drops expense into month with below-average expenses

Thanks! I use this tool for many groups, including managing a 7-person house.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the detailed suggestion! I can definitely see how this’d be useful, though we’d want to be careful and make sure the extra options don’t cause undue confusion. I’ll add this to our list of possible improvements to discuss :)

19. Make the 'final' amounts that group members owe each other far more obvious than the amount that you have 'lent' each group member.

As above.
    Once all the group members have joined and the receipts have been added, the amount 'lent' by each group member to the individual payees is FAR MORE OBVIOUS than the final 'balance' that you owe. Why do you have to click or hover the cursor over your name on the right hand side to see this balance. It's not the first thing that your eye is drawn to.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! Just trying to make sure I understand your feedback correctly – are you talking about the right-hand sidebar on the group screen, which lists each group member and their balance?

When looking at a group, we’ve generally found that people prefer to view the total balances of each group member, rather than the specific amount that each person owes you. I know that different people have different personal preferences, though, so sorry if that’s throwing you off!

I don’t think we’re likely to change which number is displayed there in the near future, but I’ll pass on your message and see if there are any tweaks we can think of to make this clearer. Again, apologies for the confusion!

20. Mac App

It would be great if there was a mac app version - it could integrate with the notification centre for transfers and thing.

40 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base