Skip to content

General

186 results found

1. make pie chart colors the same from month to month

I like that we can see trends in the pie chart and have a visual of where our spendings fall from month to month. However, when I compare months, the categories are different colors. It would be much readable and helpful if colors stayed consistent for the sake of comparison. Thank you!

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! Our charts could definitely use some improvement, and we’re planning to redo them in the near future – I’ll see if we can keep the colors consistent when we do that.

2. support item in itemized bill 'consumed' by X, but paid for by person(s) Y, Z

Every friday, I organize a group dinner. Frequently, people attend who are in a relationship. Sometimes, even non-monogamous (poly) relationships.

It would be really awesome if I could enter an itemized bill in this way:

item, cost, participants
    eggrolls, 8.00, Janet, Steve, Tim, April
    pad thai, 10.00, Janet
    basil chicken, 10.00, Steve
    fried chicken over fried rice, 10.00, Tim

Tax: 8.75%
    Tip: 20.00%

People pay for another:
    Janet: paid for by Steve, Tim

and thus get this break down:
    egg rolls: $3.00 for steve, $3.00 for tim, $2.00 for april
    pad thai: $5.00 for steve, $5.00 for tim

and then…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! I can see how this would be useful for group dinners and such. We haven’t worked on our itemized bill form for a while, as it’s a pretty infrequently used feature on Splitwise, but I’ll pass on your suggestion and add it to our list of possible improvements.

3. Easy switching for who is paying who when settling up

I tend to lend money to my friends and use settle up option to record cash payments and keep a track of who owes what. When clicking settling up, it'd show from and to depending on who owes who (which is fine).

What I think will help is an option to switch it (probably by clicking the arrow). As of now, I've to manually select it by clicking on the names and re-selecting it.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow select/deselect all in the simplify page

In the simplify option in settings, since there are a lot of check boxes, and I usually select all of them, it would be nice if there was a select all option.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  5. Add multiple currency support for charts

When displaying charts in a group with expenses in multiple currencies, the sums are stated unconverted in the default currency, which makes the chart useless. If currency conversion (which would be very cool!) is not on your current roadmap, you could at least display a chart for each currency.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! Not many people use 2+ currencies, which is why this has gone neglected until now, but we’d definitely like to improve it. We’ll probably start by simply showing one currency on the charts screen (and ignoring expenses in other currencies), then later move on to either showing multiple charts or doing actual currency conversion. Until then, apologies for the inconvenience!

6. Make "Simplify Debts" not hidden under "advanced options" on the group creation page

Currently, on the new group creation page (splitwise.com/groups/new), you must click "advanced options" before seeing the "Simplify Debts" toggle. Because it's not readily visible, I've seen several fellow users forget to turn simplify on when they meant to.

Also, it seems a bit redundant to have an advanced options link since the simplify toggle is currently the only option.

I understand why simplify is buried in the settings after the group is created (to prevent members from toggling too frequently and confusing the rest of the group), but it doesn't seem this is an issue during the creation phase.

If…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Hey Ian – thanks for the feedback! I definitely understand where you’re coming from, though figuring out how much to prioritize “simplify debts” has been an ongoing question for us, and we’ve tried it a lot of different ways over time. Even with its current semi-hidden placement, there are a significant number of people who turn it on without fully understanding what it does, and who then email us about their balances “not adding up correctly”.

Still, we hope to keep improving on it! We have some ideas that might help explain it better to the people who get confused, and we’ll probably be trying some of those out early next year. Moving the placement of the setting might be part of that process. In the meantime, apologies for the trouble!

7. Javscript

Why on earth is all of your javascript on the main page and that too without encryption ?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Hey Kshitij! The reason our JavaScript is included in the main page is mostly because of how Splitwise /used/ to work a few years ago – we used to include a lot of customized code depending on exactly which user was loading the page. We’d like to move our JS code to a separate page sometime soon, mainly to improve page loading/caching performance.

Also, we may obfuscate our JavaScript code at some point in the future, but there’s no way to actually encrypt JavaScript in the browser – your browser has to be able to read the code in order to run it. Obfuscating JavaScript files can be useful for improving load time, since the file sizes are usually smaller, but we also enjoy keeping our code readable, especially since it lets other people look at your front-end code and learn how it works. (There isn’t any secure information in…

8. Download all the expenses of current month

Add the option to download all expenses of the current month. Now we can download expense on a particular group,but not on all expenses made by me (including all groups and individuals) for current month.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll pass it on at our next team meeting – I know we haven’t updated our export options for a while, so maybe we’ll get a chance to update them soon.

9. Relationships for debt calculation

So I have a few groups with some friends, and not all of them know each other. Occasionally, when I add a combined bill, Splitwise simplifies debts in a way that person A ends up owing person B, who don't really know each other. It ends up being an awkward situation which I resolve by taking the money from A and giving it to B.

It would be cool if Splitwise showed me a graph with nodes for myself and every person I've ever shared a bill with (or scoped within a group for simplicity), and then let me add…

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Hey Sameer – are you talking about the “Simplify debts” feature for groups? In general, we’ve assumed that everyone in a group knows each other, as groups are usually used for apartments and group trips and things like that. Could you give me more details on the specific case where this problem is happening for you? It’d be good to have more background and make sure we understand where you’re coming from.

On the other hand, if you’re talking about the “Simplify debts” feature that works outside of groups, then our algorithm should take this into account already, as it only moves around debt between people who already have outstanding balances with each other.

10. Give an easy way to type shop names / descriptions

I tend to use Description to enter the shop name, or service provider for the bill. This means that I tend to have several bills over time for the same shop / provider, eg. for household builds, local shops, etc.
    It would be nice if 1) either I could enter a shop name separate from description and/or 2) have an auto-complete on shop name and/or description based on previously entered expenses. That would speed things up even more!!

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! Auto-complete is one of those things that we’ve wanted to do for a while, but never found the time to actually implement – it’s definitely something we’re considering for the future, though. I’ll pass on your thoughts about a separate “shop name” field, as well :)

11. Show historical who owes whom what data

I'd like to be able to prove to my roommates that the numbers on Splitwise reflect an accurate picture of how much we owe each other. Typically there is a point in time at which we all agree that the numbers were correct on splitwise (e.g. right before a new person joins the group, right before a big purchase, etc.), but we're less confident that everything's been entered since that point. So I'd like to be able to click a transaction in the list, and then click "Show me what the numbers looked like right after this item posted". Then…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I definitely sympathize – piecing together why someone owes what they owe can be really difficult, especially when it involves lots of old expenses. I’ll pass on the suggestion, but for now, if you’re using a group, you might want to try the “view printable summary” option on our website (which you can find by going to a group, then clicking the “view printable summary” link at the top of each month’s expenses). The printable summary gives you a basic version of your suggested feature: it shows your balance at the beginning of a month, then each individual expense for the month, and then your balance at the end of the month.

If you like Excel, you could also try the “Export to spreadsheet” option on the web (select a group, then click the settings icon at the top of the right sidebar, then choose “Export as spreadsheet”). It’s not…

12. Attachments

Allow downloading of attachments on the web version along with the excel file

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Spit Tip equally (separate from itemised bill and tax)

When eating out it makes sense to split the bill as per who ordered what, but with a tip an option to split equally would be nice.

Sometimes the dishes aren't too far apart in price and you are paying for the service, so we frequently split the tip equally.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  14. Bank account details somewhere/anywhere

Hi. Liking this service so far.

Its nice keeping track of debts, however, it is not much use not knowing how to pay it. (Not everyone uses paypal).

In UK and Australia, someone just needs bank account details to do a transfer. Would be nice either to have one or all of the following:

1. My own account details available for my friends to see. Even if not in their own fields, maybe in a "other info" memo type field.

2. Or be able to put my own comments on my friends so I can make a note of their account details.…

419 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    161 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Storing bank account #s is unfortunately tricky, as there are some serious security concerns around bank #s here in the US and in some other countries. Still, we’d like to do it if possible. It’s not on our roadmap yet, but we’re definitely considering it for the future.

15. Hide data in printable summary in which i am not involved

Hi Team,

Please also hide data in which i am not involved in printable summary.

Thanks in advanced

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ll pass on the suggestion! I think the reason we don’t do this right now is in order to help people find mistakes – for example, sometimes there’s a bill you SHOULD have been included on, but you weren’t for some reason, and including that bill in the printable summary makes that easier to find.

16. Please add an option to filter out expenses/payments by user

Please provide an option to filter out expenses/payments by user , similar to the option of hide expenses not involving me.

31 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

I’ll pass on the suggestion! For now, you may be able to use “Export as spreadsheet” to accomplish some of this. You can export a spreadsheet from our website by going to a group or friend, then clicking the settings icon in the upper right and choosing “Export”. Hope that helps!

17. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! I can see how this would be useful – maybe we could add it as an optional setting? I don’t think we’d want to do it automatically, as there are some cases where it doesn’t really apply (e.g. when a new person moves into an existing apartment after a few months). Regardless, I’ll pass on the idea. Thanks!

18. Add date range option to "Export as spreadsheet" function

Currently when I click the "Export as spreadsheet" link under Group Settings it gives me all of the transactions that have ever been recorded in the group. Since I use a group to track expenses with roommates, I like to export the data on a monthly basis, and it would be great if I didn't have to go back and delete all the old data from the beginning of the file each time.

Alternatively, the "view printable summary" already gives a nice monthly snapshot, so if there was a way to export that view to a spreadsheet, that would work…

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Good suggestion! We’ve talked about adding a date range to both the export and the monthly summary – it’s never quite made it to the top of the to-do list, but hopefully it will sometime soon. In the meantime, I’m sorry for the delay!

19. Payment Options

You can add the payment options and allow transfer of money to other accounts , like kind of link accounts with splitwise and transfer directly . Something of that sort which is for sure safe and secure

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

We don’t currently have plans to transfer money directly through Splitwise. We do integrate with PayPal and Venmo in the US, and we just integrated with Paytm for our Indian users, these allow you to make transfers to other users if you’ve connected with your bank account. We hope to continue to integrate with other payment providers in the future!

20. Adding EdenRed/Sodexo coupons in the website.

Dear Team,
    Please consider adding EdenRed/Sodexo coupons column along with money as many people in India get EdenRed/Sodexo coupons as a part of their salary.
    Would love to see a reply for my suggestion

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi there,

Just to clarify, is the suggestion adding them as a “currency” or as a payment method (ala PayPal)? Are they denominated in points, or in INR, or some other currency?

Cheers,
    Jon

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base