Skip to content

General

110 results found

1. Repair the problem with display of Indian Rupee symbol

Hi Splitwise Team,

On the webapp, when the settings are configured to use the Indian Rupee Symbol (INR Currency): Only a question mark is displayed instead of the actual INR symbol.

Suggesting to repair this.

Thanks in advance.

-
    Shubham

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

From your account settings page, you can change your default currency to INR, and the app will update to display the rupee symbol. The reason why we don’t automatically display symbols for non-default currencies is because some currencies use the same symbol, and it can become ambiguous (for example, MXN and USD both use the $ sign). Hope this helps!

2. use the facebook and google login icons

I didn't see the "login with facebook/google" buttons. they would have caught my eye if they had been the standard facebook/google login icons.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  3. Keep track of pennies

This may be a bit pedantic, but the splitting should keep track of remainder pennies across expenses and itemized bills within, to keep it more fair. For instance, if you have an itemized bill with multiple charges of 0.99, and split between two people, in each item, whoever's first pays the extra penny (0.50 / 0.49). This means that if you have a lot of these expenses in one bill (e.g. 99p Stores here in the UK), the bill gets more and more unevenly split based on nothing but alphabetical order of the splittees' names.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Update: all of our apps should now redistribute pennies randomly. Tracking pennies is fairly complicated and unlikely to be much better than random distribution.

Sorry for the trouble! The way we split pennies is a bit inconsistent based on which version of our app you’re using, but we do generally try to be fair, usually by distributing the extra pennies randomly. This is definitely somewhere we want to keep improving – for now, apologies for the inconvenience!

4. Third party loans

I have a group with members A (me), B and C. How do I enter a loan from B to C using Splitwise (I am not involved in the transaction).

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Hey there! Splitwise only allows you to add loans between two other people if all three of you are in a group together. In that case, you can start by adding a bill with you and your two friends, then change the payer to B, and then change the “split equally” options so that only C is involved in the split. Hope that helps!

5. to stop asking the $ or INR every time

If we are from a country then our total dealings will be in the same currency.
    Eg: If I am from India my currency will be INR.

I am every time changing the currency from $ to INR. This is hectic.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Performance of item add/categorisation

Tried to change categories of existing items in a group consisting of ~30 expenses and it is not very responsive (category pop up is quick but setting the category is slow) - similar experience with adding new items. Seems to work quite well with small number of items. Great app, btw!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the heads-up! I just did some investigating and I’m pretty sure I found the bug that was slowing you down – I’ve just released a small update to fix the problem. Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any more issues, and I’d be happy to dig in and figure out what’s up :)

7. Send message to the group/friend in the group

We should be able to send a message to the group/friend which is visible to them as a notification/ pop up when they login

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

You can add comments to expenses, which show up in the recent activity feed when your friend opens the app next. If they have push notification or email notifications for comments turned on, they will also receive one of those.

Marshall

8. What else is in Splitwise pro?

I want to see if there are extra things useful to me in Splitwise Pro, but it doesn't seem to do very well selling me the features.

Is there a details page where I can read about other features?

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  9. change the default category when someone types "gas"

Change the category to gas/fuel - I suspect people buy and split gasoline more often than they do "gas" for a house

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Update: we now more gracefully handle gas vs gas bill in category detection.

Thanks for the suggestion! We’re actually working on some nice improvements to automatic category detection right now, which includes better distinction between gas-for-cars and gas-for-houses. We don’t have an exact date for that update yet, but hopefully pretty soon. In the meantime, apologies for the trouble!

10. Let me know a way to send you money

Thank you for making Splitwise. This is a fantastic tool that I wish I had when I was sharing a house in college 10 years ago. This is the kind of application I feel like I should pay for! Is there a way I can send you money? Thanks!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Aww, thanks a bunch, Mike! We do have a pro version (https://secure.splitwise.com/pro/subscribe) that lets you pay any amount you want for a few extra features, like currency conversion and early access to new features. Splitwise Pro is still pretty basic, so we haven’t pushed it very much, but it’s a great way to support us if you’re feeling generous. And of course, we’re always appreciative when you recommend Splitwise to your friends!

Thanks for the love – it always feels super nice when someone likes what we’re doing :)

11. Redirect amount owed

Redirecting the amount owed to a different person to avoid multiple transactions to balance things.

E.g If person A owes person B $20, person B owes person C $ 30 and if person C owes person A $20. Instead of making three transactions to balance things out. There can be an option to consolidate transactions between the three and result in just one final transaction, B to C $10.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Dwarak – we’ve actually got a feature like this already! If you turn on the “simplify debts” setting in a group, that group will automatically get rid of unnecessary payments like the ones in your example. Hope that helps!

12. Notifications

Notifications should be shown in website too. Some where in Dashboard or in the navbar.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  13. 4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You should be abel to export a group or friendship to csv under the settings for that group or friendship on the website. We do not currently plan to bring this feature to mobile.

Marshall

14. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Done! The Angolan Kwanza should show up on the web immediately, and should show up in our mobile apps after the next time you refresh. Let us know if there’s anything else we can do for you!

15. Invite Friends

Whenever I invite a new friend for whom I have multiple contact methods they all show up in the autocomplete search box. That's confusing because I don't want to invite my friend at the wrong address. Can you set it up so that I can pick which phone number or address to use? You could insert smaller grey text after the friend's name.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This should be possible on all platforms. If you’re still seeing this problem somewhere, please open a ticket. It’s also possible to invite friends by phone number as well, though the web app does not support this very well.

16. Keep on being awesome :)

Awesome Tool! Thank you very much!

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. allow part of a split to be paid at the time it is entered

Allow users to designate that one of the splitters has already paid so as to better keep track of who has paid what to whome.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Update: when adding an expense, you can now click on the payer token and choose multiple payers, then add all people who have paid for the expense.

I’ll pass on the feedback! For now, you could try adding a note or comment to the bill with details on who has paid, or immediately adding a payment after you finish adding the bill.

18. Add a option to Print the expense sheet

An option to print the expense sheet (list of all transactions) for a particular month or a given month range.
    This will allow user to maintain an offline copy and also ease up the further book keeping if required.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There are two ways you can do this right now, both from our website:

1) View printable summary – if you use a group on Splitwise, at the top of each month you should see a small link to “View printable summary”. That will open a page with a detailed readable summary of your expenses for the month. (There’s also a dropdown at the top of that page with an option to view all months, if you wish.)

2) Export as spreadsheet – if you click on a friend or group, then click the settings icon at the top of the right-side column, you should see an option to “Export as spreadsheet”. The spreadsheet export isn’t as nicely formatted as the printable summary, but it should have the information you need.

Hope that helps!

19. Allow users to filter transactions by their name

In a large group, it is difficult to see which transactions you paid for. You need to scroll back through all the transactions to find the specific transaction you are looking for, and even this doesn't quite solve the use case. It would be nice to select a user to see all the transactions he/she recorded (or, optionally, were involved in).

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. allow groups to be organized into a folder structure so that you can "hide" a bunch from the list.

So you could have a folder for "past trips" and minimize them. For example. (hi!!)

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Our mobile apps now hide settled up groups after 7 days with no activity.

You can also tap the filter icon in your group’s tab and choose to only view “Groups with outstanding balances”.

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base