Skip to content

General

208 results found

1. Make reimbursements look different than charges

I got a rewards credit on my credit card statement, and since it was for joint charges, i wanted to split that extra $25 with him - aka he now owes me $12.50 less than before and I owe him $12.50 less. But nothing after the "create bill" screen makes the bill look like a credit and I'm having to do math manually to make sure it worked. Perhaps if reimbursements looked different than negative bills it would be easier to track these?

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the confusion! You’re definitely right that reimbursements aren’t presented very well…they’re a pretty rarely used feature, so we haven’t had a chance to give them much love yet. I’ll add this to our list of possible improvements for future updates – until then, apologies for the inconvenience!

2. fix the tax/tip section

Can you adjust the UI such that it explains you can add as a percentage or a fixed amount. The gray text claims % but if i plug in 7 (for 7%) it splits $7 of tax, not 7% of the subtotal.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the confusion! It’s intentional that you can enter either a whole amount ($7) or a percentage (7%) in that box, but it could probably be improved to be clearer. I’ll add this to our list of possible things to work on in the future.

3. Pro Feature: Total expenses based on a filter

It would be cool if I could create a custom filter for totaling expenses in a group. Use case: My housemate never names his grocery runs anything sane (i.e. something with 'groceries' in it so that your metadata tracker picks up on the category). I would like to create a glob/regex filter to add in all expenses with "woodman" in the title to grocery category.

Unless your auto-categorization is perfect or this filter feature is added, the usefulness of pro-charts is limited.

Pro looks promising so far, thought. Thanks!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion Julian, and for upgrading to Pro.

I can definitely see how this would be useful for some folks. Not sure if/when it’ll make it onto the road map (we’re 4 engineers), so for now let me suggest that your roommate manually categorize all the groceries expenses they don’t name something ‘common’.

Cheers, Zoe

4. Allow Deposits to be maintained.

Eg. If A and B paid 2500 and 1500 for Deposit (of anything) and B takes back the entire 4000, Then B owes A - 2500.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  5. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! Yep, this annoys me too :) I think we’re hoping to do some web cleanup work later this summer and fall, so I’ll add this to our list of possible improvements.

6. Integrate Square Cash Mail-to and Yodlee Payment Integration

1. Any plans to integrate square cash into the platform? They don't have an API, but you could integrate the mail-to functionality to trigger an email. I really hate using Venmo and still leave your site to make payments.

2. Have you considered integrating Yodlee into your platform? I currently use a combination of BillGuard and Splitwise. I think combining the two would be incredible. You could have a real time feed into splitwise of your most recent charges and then decide if you want to split them. You'd be able to monetize your app by charging a subscription for banking integration.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  7. Toggle open and close Groups and Friendds

Make the side bar max height for that of the viewport height. Make the Groups and Friends sections toggleable close / open and scroll bars within.

Prioritize payments and do calculations based on them. Say an old payment exists in my dashboard and i don't wanna delete or settle it but just ignore about it when seeing my total.

Make dashboard items selectable so that i can calculate or get a total based on the selection items from my dashboard.

Same scenario mentioned above with selection of friends and groups from side bar or on a new page would be…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestions – I’ll pass them on! We haven’t done any major work on our web app for a while, so I imagine we might be redesigning some things later this year.

8. Different FOREX for each member of group

When I travel I regularly use different currencies and so do my friends. Between every two pair of people there is a preferred currency of settlement and there is a set of currencies which they have access to. It would be great if people could choose which currencies they would like to be settled with in each transaction and people could define which currencies they are able to pay with (groupwise or at the transaction level). Splitwise would do its magic in when simplifying debt and would determine who owes who and what in which currency.
    Splitwise could also offer…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! I know Splitwise isn’t perfect for people using large numbers of currencies all at once, and that’s something we want to keep improving over time. I’ll add this to our list of possible improvements for the future :)

9. Debt shuffling across groups

I really like Splitwise and I use it regularly to keep track of my shared transactions with other people. However I find it difficult to keep track of expenses across different groups. For instance, sometimes I would like to transfer debt from one group to the other, such that in the first group the debt is settled but in the second it will show up. This would be a great addition to my debt management routine.
    To exemplify my request I will illustrate that with my father's recent visit. He came to visit me at home and I created a…

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! There is a very basic version of this feature on our website – click on a specific person in the left sidebar, then click the settings icon at the top of the right sidebar and choose “Consolidate debts with this person”. All your groups will be settled up, and the remaining balance will be transferred to a single non-group bill.

We’ve also thought about a few other versions of this feature, but unfortunately it’s been really difficult to find a design that doesn’t confuse people. (Even the single-group “simplify debts” feature confuses a large percentage of people.) For now, we’ve decided to leave out any more complicated debt shuffling features, as the increase in confused/frustrated users seems to outweigh the benefits. Apologies for the trouble!

10. Bills paid by multiple people: "Each person paid an equal share"

When adding a bill which was paid by multiple people you should be able to select an option "Each person paid an equal share" in addition to the available option "Each person paid for their own share".

This is especially useful for couples having a shared bank account / credit card or for shared bills where everyone just chipped in the same amount of money (but one still wants to split the items afterwards).

43 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  11. [BUG] Tab order in group creation messy

Tab order in Group creation under /groups/new is wonky after you've added a bunch of extra people.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. "Pay all" or auth queue when settling up

When I settled up I owed 3 different people. They all take Venmo. I had to go through "Settle Up" 3 times, each time hitting "Settle Up", then "Venmo" again, then authenticating w/ Venmo again - each time, it was just doing the top payment off the list.

Should either be a way to bulk-process, or, if not supported by their API, at least do a queue so it prompts me for the next person I owe.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback Andy! I understand why this would be useful. You’re right — Venmo API wouldn’t support this — but I will bring the idea of queueing payments up on our side next time the team discusses ‘Settle Up’.

Cheers, Zoe

13. "Who paid" column in Excel export

When you export your data to Excel there should be an additional column indicating who paid for each expense.

53 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Our next update to the Excel feature is to bring it to mobile. Not sure when we’ll have the bandwidth to consider functionality on the whole. Sorry for any inconvenience! Zoe

14. Give us Option to Add Tentative figures without syncing

Kudos to the Website Design accessibility and the whole idea for creating this kind of a website.

One suggestion :

Give us an option to add tentative figures or figures which are too small to be added directly but can be posted after accumulating together

For eg to explain with a hypothetical situation;
    Salt - Rs 20 can be added and kept aside without syncing.( Keep in Reserve )
    Once I buy Sugar Rs 60 etc
    I can accumulate together and make entry as
    Salt & Sugar - 80
    etc

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your kind words about Splitwise and for providing your suggestion.

We’ve thought about this a bit, but we worry that it’ll get confusing and add extra work — people might forget they added a ‘pending’ bill, never add it to their ‘real’ ledger, or their friend will add it in the meanwhile and there will be duplicates.

May I ask why you wouldn’t just want to add “Salt 20 Rs” to Splitwise right away? It’s seems that it’d be as much work as adding the ‘pending’ expense, and then going back later to ‘really’ add it. Is it about not wanting to ‘spam’ friends with emails about expenses added?

Thanks!
    ZC

15. Sorting on Expenses

Splitwise is an amazing website..Congratulation on building such a wonderful tool. .. I think you can add sorting on columns like person who paid expenses.. Sorting on expenses description and on other columns.. this helps when lot of people are involved in the group.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the details, Jitendra! I’ll pass on your suggestion. For now, you could try exporting your group to a spreadsheet, which would let you do some custom sorting. If you’d like to export to spreadsheet, just open your group page, then click the “Settings” icon at the top of the right sidebar and choose “Export as spreadsheet”. Hope that helps!

16. Add Date Range Search

I feel like it would be better to filter out the details based on the expense logged in dates. Like giving a date range selection and after I search, I would be able to see the results (either within a group or in all the group) particularly in the selected date range.

33 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! Just to be clear: you want to view your bills filtered by the day they were added, instead of by the date on the bill, correct? I’ll pass on that feedback.

For now, your best bet is probably to take a look at the “recent activity” screen, which shows all changes in your account in order of when they happened. I realize that’s not the best screen for looking through a large amount of data, though, so apologies for the trouble!

17. Make the 'final' amounts that group members owe each other far more obvious than the amount that you have 'lent' each group member.

As above.
    Once all the group members have joined and the receipts have been added, the amount 'lent' by each group member to the individual payees is FAR MORE OBVIOUS than the final 'balance' that you owe. Why do you have to click or hover the cursor over your name on the right hand side to see this balance. It's not the first thing that your eye is drawn to.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! Just trying to make sure I understand your feedback correctly – are you talking about the right-hand sidebar on the group screen, which lists each group member and their balance?

When looking at a group, we’ve generally found that people prefer to view the total balances of each group member, rather than the specific amount that each person owes you. I know that different people have different personal preferences, though, so sorry if that’s throwing you off!

I don’t think we’re likely to change which number is displayed there in the near future, but I’ll pass on your message and see if there are any tweaks we can think of to make this clearer. Again, apologies for the confusion!

18. add increase/decrease buttons next to shares number fields

Every time I use this feature I think about how nice it would be to not touch the keyboard while increasing shares ;)

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. make a chrome extension that adds a "splitwise" button to transactions on Mint

I don't always remember to split a transaction as soon as it happens, or the transaction is one that I'm not physically present for (like when the power company autobills). It would be cool if there was a chrome extension that scraped data from the Mint transactions page when I visit it so that when I review my transactions on Mint I can just click a button (inserted onto the page via extension) to auto-import that transaction into Splitwise

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We actually sort of love this idea (we’ve definitely thought about it before), though it hasn’t actually made it on to our roadmap yet, and I’m not sure if we’d do it by a Chrome extension or by some other means. In general, though, we think it would be super convenient to import expenses directly from your other accounts :) Hopefully in the future!

20. allow formatting of numbers

may be useful to have a setting whereby you can change the format of the numbers, e.g. decimals, show "1000" as "1,000" etc. thanks

34 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base