Skip to content

General

208 results found

1. addd option to add previous dues for starters

I just started using this app. No doubt, this is exactly what I was looking for. But previously I used a note taking app for the same purpose and would like to add previous dues to person while starting as a new user. In other words an option to add initial debt to a new user added would be an amazing add on!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  2. You can only collapse an expanded expense by clicking exactly horizontal with the expense total

I just noticed that the only area listening for a click to collapse an expanded expenses is a thin strip exactly parallel with with amount total of the expense. It would be nice if clicking anywhere in the expanded expense header collapsed the expense.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks Anon,

Very interesting suggestion! That is by design, but I’m curious to see if other people agree. Personally, I like they way it works but I’ll leave this under review to think about as we are tweaking design.

Cheers,
    Jon

3. Let me link to my profile for people to add ME

I want to share my profile on facebook with a bunch of my friends so that they can add me and I don't have to collect email addresses. Or just have my facebook/google friends be on my friends list by default, then if they make an account we're already friends and they can see their balance.

Also, what good does linking my google or facebook do?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

It certainly makes sense to have a shareable profile link – in fact, I’m pretty sure that’s on our to-do list already (we just haven’t gotten to it yet). I’ll pass on the “default friends list” suggestion as well.

Right now, connecting with Google lets you access your Google contacts straight from Splitwise, so that when you start typing in a name, we can autocomplete that person’s email address. (Connecting with Facebook just lets you log in; we don’t currently request any access to your list of Facebook friends.)

4. identifying the member who owes the most in a group

In group with lots of members it is difficult to find out who owes/is owed the most. It would make it easier for that member to pay large expenses and even up with the rest of the group.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! I can see how this would be useful – maybe we could add it as an optional setting? I don’t think we’d want to do it automatically, as there are some cases where it doesn’t really apply (e.g. when a new person moves into an existing apartment after a few months). Regardless, I’ll pass on the idea. Thanks!

6. Default currency for a group in the web client

On the mobile client, whenever I add a new bill, it automatically uses the currency that I've been using in that group (e.g. I'm currently on vacation in Europe, and I'm putting all expenses in EUR).

On the web app, it still defaulted to USD $. It's not a huge deal since I can edit it, but would be nice if it defaulted to the commonly used currency in the group or something.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! That makes sense – our multi-currency support could definitely use some polish across our different apps. I’ll pass on your thoughts, and hopefully we’ll be able to improve this the next time we make a round of updates to multi-currency support :)

7. Javscript

Why on earth is all of your javascript on the main page and that too without encryption ?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Kshitij! The reason our JavaScript is included in the main page is mostly because of how Splitwise /used/ to work a few years ago – we used to include a lot of customized code depending on exactly which user was loading the page. We’d like to move our JS code to a separate page sometime soon, mainly to improve page loading/caching performance.

Also, we may obfuscate our JavaScript code at some point in the future, but there’s no way to actually encrypt JavaScript in the browser – your browser has to be able to read the code in order to run it. Obfuscating JavaScript files can be useful for improving load time, since the file sizes are usually smaller, but we also enjoy keeping our code readable, especially since it lets other people look at your front-end code and learn how it works. (There isn’t any secure information in…

8. make a chrome extension that adds a "splitwise" button to transactions on Mint

I don't always remember to split a transaction as soon as it happens, or the transaction is one that I'm not physically present for (like when the power company autobills). It would be cool if there was a chrome extension that scraped data from the Mint transactions page when I visit it so that when I review my transactions on Mint I can just click a button (inserted onto the page via extension) to auto-import that transaction into Splitwise

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We actually sort of love this idea (we’ve definitely thought about it before), though it hasn’t actually made it on to our roadmap yet, and I’m not sure if we’d do it by a Chrome extension or by some other means. In general, though, we think it would be super convenient to import expenses directly from your other accounts :) Hopefully in the future!

9. Toggle open and close Groups and Friendds

Make the side bar max height for that of the viewport height. Make the Groups and Friends sections toggleable close / open and scroll bars within.

Prioritize payments and do calculations based on them. Say an old payment exists in my dashboard and i don't wanna delete or settle it but just ignore about it when seeing my total.

Make dashboard items selectable so that i can calculate or get a total based on the selection items from my dashboard.

Same scenario mentioned above with selection of friends and groups from side bar or on a new page would be…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestions – I’ll pass them on! We haven’t done any major work on our web app for a while, so I imagine we might be redesigning some things later this year.

10. Pro Feature: Total expenses based on a filter

It would be cool if I could create a custom filter for totaling expenses in a group. Use case: My housemate never names his grocery runs anything sane (i.e. something with 'groceries' in it so that your metadata tracker picks up on the category). I would like to create a glob/regex filter to add in all expenses with "woodman" in the title to grocery category.

Unless your auto-categorization is perfect or this filter feature is added, the usefulness of pro-charts is limited.

Pro looks promising so far, thought. Thanks!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion Julian, and for upgrading to Pro.

I can definitely see how this would be useful for some folks. Not sure if/when it’ll make it onto the road map (we’re 4 engineers), so for now let me suggest that your roommate manually categorize all the groceries expenses they don’t name something ‘common’.

Cheers, Zoe

11. fix the tax/tip section

Can you adjust the UI such that it explains you can add as a percentage or a fixed amount. The gray text claims % but if i plug in 7 (for 7%) it splits $7 of tax, not 7% of the subtotal.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the confusion! It’s intentional that you can enter either a whole amount ($7) or a percentage (7%) in that box, but it could probably be improved to be clearer. I’ll add this to our list of possible things to work on in the future.

12. Provide a Document Center

I am planning on using Split Wise as a hub for running our apartment.

It would be nice to have a small communal document area to store some of our agreements. As an example, I would like to upload a roommate agreement that was signed by all of the roommates.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! I think it’s unlikely that we’ll do this – we really want to focus on just the expense sharing problem. If we get a lot of votes here, we’ll reconsider this.

Marshall

13. default with one

I use splitwise with my boyfriend only. If there is only one active user, I want that person automatically selected all the time.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion – I’ll pass it on! I know we do something like this for people who only use one group, and I can definitely see how it’d be useful for accounts with only one other person.

14. create a simple printable summary

I see the detailed summary and the simple group balances view. I wish there were a printable summary of group balances that I could include in an email so that I can explain how much people will pay in an email without taking a screenshot.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! Yeah, I can see how it would be useful to have something to download and share, especially if not everyone is actually logging in to Splitwise. I’ll add this to our list of possible improvements.

15. Add subscription feeds to the calendar function

Add support for calendar subscriptions (i.e., .ics .gcal .html) to the calendar function for groups. Simply having a calendar item that said "Pay <name> for <bill name>" or "<bill name> due" would be great. I would find this especially handy for recurring bills (e.g., utilities, rent, groceries).

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Integrate with PayPal so that I can import latest expenses directly into my splitwise account!

I use the PayPal card a lot for making purchases. It would be awesome if you could integrate PayPal with Splitwise - perhaps import the latest expenses?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Make it more clear how to remove someone from a group

I couldn't find where to remove a person from a group on the web app, so I had to do it on my mobile app. Ideally it would as straightforward on each

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! Yep, our website could definitely use some love in the near future – apologies for the confusion. If you need to do this again in the near future, you can remove a group member on the web by opening that group’s page, then clicking the “Settings” icon at the top of the right sidebar and choosing “Edit group settings”.

18. the "me" requirement for quick-add is inconvenient

Hi, I've been using splitwise for years now, as a replacement for Billmonk. I might not be your typical user since I use it to keep track of what family members owe me, and we never split bills. Thus when I use "quick add", I don't understand why if I write, "sonya owes 54 for dress" it automatically splits the bill and I have to manually un-split it. I have to remember to write, "sonya owes ME 54 for dress" to avoid splitting. If I say she owes me 54, then she owes me 54, not 27. Thanks.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  19. Provide a tutorial and "how to"

I love the concept and design of your website. But I can't find a place to learn how to use it, and how to share the "how to" part with others who are not yet on SplitWise.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! We try to make Splitwise self-explanatory as much as possible, with small tutorials as you use the app, but I definitely see how a more complete “how to” guide would be useful. I’ll add that to our list of possible improvements for the future.

20. There should be a "Hide items not involving me" button for "All Expenses"

There is no "Hide Items not involving me" button for the "All Expenses" tab. It is there for the specific groups.
    I also tried to go to the group that I want to hide transactions from and then come back to the "All Expenses" tab, but it does not seem to work.
    It would be good to have this functionality since I need to track transactions, and not just what I owe most of the time, and the alternative, "Recent Activity" tab does not seem to be of the same use. Don't know how difficult it would be to implement…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base