Skip to content

General

80 results found

1. Deleting past settled expenses

Add a feature to allow users to delete past settled accounts without affecting the accounts of the other users involved in the transaction

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow creation of expenses where "you" are not involved

There are some instances where I want to create a transaction (that I am not involved in) between 2 other people in a group.

Right now, when I click "Add bill", "you" is one of the defaults and there is no way to remove myself from the transaction until after I actually save it or by going in and setting my part of the transaction to $0.

The other workaround to this is to use the quick add feature to add the expense between the 2 people i.e. "John owes Bill $2 for lunch" but it seems like this should…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! Most people add do not add expenses like this and including this kind of change would probably make it harder to add expenses in that do involve you. Given that there is a workaround to remove yourself from the bill while you are adding it (even if it is a few extra taps), we don’t plan to add any more optimization for this case.

I’m a little confused in when you would need to save the expense before you could remove yourself. For both adding and editing an expense, you should be able to change the payer to someone else and open the split options to remove yourself from the split.

Marshall

3. custom tax plan

trying to create a tax plan but couldn't add more brackets. basically I want to create the following brackets

from 10k to 100k, every 10k your tax rate goes up by 1%
    from 100k to 1m, every 100k your tax rate goes up by 1%
    from 1m to 10m, every 1m your tax rate goes up by 1%
    from 10m 10 100m, every 10m your tax rate goes up by 1%
    from 100m to 1b, every 100m your tax rate goes up by 1%

I want to see how much revenue this would create compared to the current plan.

also…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! We’re not planning to make any major changes to our tax plan calculator at this point and I don’t think we even have the underlying data to make this kind of calculation in any event. Sorry I don’t have better news!

Marshall

4. Have list-sorting options for the "Groups" list in the lefthand sidebar

My housemates and I create a new group each month to split expenses. It would be easier to locate the right group in the list if we could choose to sort by "recently created". Or, if we could reverse the alphabetical order, then we could start the group name with the number of the month, and the current month would rise to the top :)

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! We don’t plan to add support for custom sorting, but groups that have been settled for more than 30 days should automatically be hidden from your list of groups. Hopefully that helps cut down the length of your list a bit!

Also, can I ask why you create a new group every month for expenses? Most Splitwise users just use one group on an ongoing basis, since it lets them keep a history of all their spending in one place. (It also lets them use features like recurring bills, as well as debt simplification w/ many expenses.) I’d love to better understand how you’re using Splitwise, so I can pass on that feedback :)

5. photo

Set it up so that when I take a photo using the app for the reciepts, it saves a copy to my phone

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion, and sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately, we don’t plan to add this feature – we’ve found that most people don’t wish to save copies of their receipts on their phone, especially when those receipts are already backed up to Splitwise.

One possible workaround would be to take a picture of your receipt with your phone’s camera app, then open Splitwise afterward and choose to attach that receipt picture from your photo gallery. I realize that’s not a great alternative, though, so apologies for the inconvenience!

6. Display Advanced options by default

Most of the times I display the other windows like when saying he owes me the full amount or notes, a good idea would be to display all the boex by default to speed up the process

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  7. Put full list of who pays who in printable summary

I made a group for a trip. After entering all expenses and simplifying debts, I wanted to send out a list showing A pays B $X, B pays C $Y, etc. But as far as I can tell, that information is only available by hovering over each name in the group one by one, so it's not easy to get a complete view of what is going on.

Can that list be put into the printable summary?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! I’m only declining this because we have a different view that shows this information. If you go to the group and look at the balances on the right, you should see a link to “view full details”. This will show you the exact repayment breakdown for everyone in the group.

Marshall

8. Splitwise with emojis

nice idea with the emojis but its way too messed up. A better job can be done with this to make it fun. but this is just too shabby and irritating to use.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

The complete emoji translation of the site is just our April Fool’s joke as us going “overboard” after we added emoji support to the app so you can have them in expenses, group names, etc. While there is a clear logic to the selection of emoji and they remain consistent throughout the site, it is not intended to be used long term over your actual language.

9. Subgroups

Can you implement something like subgroups? Suppose we have a flatmates group but want to maintain a history of what all was spent in a particular trip. That will be convenient in a bigger scenario where we have many office colleagues in a group but went on a trip with only few of them. If we want to add multiple bills, this will be convenient.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately, we think this would overcomplicate Splitwise, and we’re not likely to add it in the near future.

For any specific applications such as trips, if you have a subset/different set of people from an existing group, our current recommendation is to create a separate group. Your total balances will each friend will reflect the combined totals from both groups.

10. Shares in itemized bills

Could it be possible to allow split by shares for a single item in itemized bills? Say i want to split the cost of an item 2 times to a person and 1 time to myself.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

While this would definitely be a nice-to-have feature, the use case is very very specific. A simple workaround is to add that specific item as a separate bill.

11. group admin

I share expenses with some friends. We divided the big group in some subgroups (for example "dinner out", "gifts" etc) because not all the people participate in all expenses.
    I usually check that everything in right.
    Now i would like to quit a group.
    Is there a possibility that i can still view expenses and modify if needed even if i'm not involved?
    thank you

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

No, sorry. Group administration is a tough feature to build a good experience around and a simple permission system (members of the group can view and delete expenses) is the best way we’ve found to handle things.

Best,
    Jon

12. Use historical exchange rate data (via google or forex api perhaps) per date for currency conversion

Instead of using the current financial exchange rate for all currency conversion, couldn't you query the historical rate at which a transaction date has been set in Splitwise, in order to convert each Splitwise transaction according to its historical exchange rate?

Fluctuating exchange rates for long outstanding groups (e.g. vacations with multi-country/multi-currency roadtrips) force me to use Excel/Spreadsheets to do currency conversion with historically accurate exchange rates. Not having this feature either means paying a sum of settlement that either does not reflect the historical price payed, or forces me to use another program for currency conversion.

Would be nice…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! I definitely see how this makes sense, but we’re unlikely to add historical exchange rates as a feature in the near future.

There are a lot of edge cases like this in currency conversion – for example, if we did implement historical rates, should we use the rate from the day that the expense was added, or the rate from the day that the expense is dated? However, most people aren’t looking for that level of detail, and we think it’s important to keep Splitwise simple as much as possible. That’s why we show the current exchange rate, and then convert all expenses at that rate. It makes currency conversion easier to understand, and we actually found that it’s what most people expect to happen anyway :)

If you’d like a more precise conversion on an expense-by-expense basis, your best bet is probably to export to…

13. Have certain groups within groups

We went on a trip from different parts of India and 2 to 3 people were from same state. They want to get it settled combined from their side to other people on the trip and want a separate internal expense list so that they could settle it within their group. I would recommend you to add this feature for more functionality.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the interesting idea, but groups are confusing enough so I can’t see us ever doing this. But I understand the use case and we’ll continue to think about how to handle that case simply or elegantly.

14. Not all photos are receipt

We use Splitwise to split home-made food costs. And we like to attach a photo of the dish to remember how tasty it was.

But when I see a bill, it has the title Receipt above the picture.

I suggest to change that title for a generic one.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! While you are more than welcome to attach whatever photo you want, we want to use the word receipt to suggest what we think the feature is for. I think no one is confused when they see a delicious plate of food under the label receipt.

Marshall

15. All Import from the same format as your export feature

Before knowing your website existed I split using a spreadsheet (last night) and would be happy to conform my format to the same as your export format. Just let me know if you support and point me to the import option

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Dustin, sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately, I don’t think we’re likely to build a general importer in the near future. Even our spreadsheet export doesn’t actually have enough information to import bills – for instance, it doesn’t have complete information about how much each person paid, or each person’s email address.

I’d love to add an actual importer at some point in the future, but right now we’re really short on manpower (we’re only two engineers), so unfortunately other updates will probably take priority. For now, your best bet is probably just to add your current total balances with your friends as new expenses, and optionally include your spreadsheet as an attachment. My apologies for the inconvenience!

16. User Interface

Make the user interface more catchy.

The mobile and Web app are great! Perfect. Also, suggest this app should be made for BlackBerry Users.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey there! We definitely want to keep improving our user interface, but I’m closing this suggestion for now because it’s not very specific. If you have any particular thoughts on how we should improve Splitwise, let me know and I’d be happy to pass them on!

Unfortunately, we also don’t have any plans to make a BlackBerry app right now – we’re a very small company (just two engineers), so web, iPhone, and Android is about as much as we can handle. However, if you know any BlackBerry developers, they’d be welcome to build their own Splitwise app using our public API: http://dev.splitwise.com. Sorry for the inconvenience!

17. Hide transactions from people not involved

There should be an option in the groups' settings to always hide transactions from people that are not present, and prevent those people from seeing the transaction (or just hide the value).

This would be helpful in a group of friends where you don't want to disclose, eg, the birthday present's value to whoever's birthday it is.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We believe anyone in a group should be able to see any expense in that group so they can audit our calculations. If you want to keep an expense private, add it outside the group. Expenses outside the group are only visible to the people involved in the expense.

Marshall

18. option to verify and approve the expense under a group for group moderator

option to verify and approve the expense under a group for group moderator

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Sorry, but we don’t have any plans to add expense approval or group moderators at this time. We’ve actually tried approval for payments in the past, and found that it didn’t work well for most of our users. Apologies for the inconvenience!

19. Add a way to delete items / Delete history

It would be better if you add the functionality to:

1. Delete multiple items from the group
    2. Delete items on the monthly basis from the group
    3. Delete History (Clear history)
    27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve started adding functionality to the web that will hide expenses whenever a group or friendship hits an overall balance of $0. We’ll likely bring this to the iPhone and Android. We do not plan to add any mass-deletion functionality.

Marshall

20. Expenses/Non-Splitwise thru payments approval

I really believe this feature is a must!
    I came across some previous similar suggestions .. which were declined on the reason that Dashboard and email notifications about a new expense accomplish the same

Don't you guys realize that whatever you do..any step adding an expense edit it..etc etc "APPROVAL FROM ALL People involved in a Transaction!" is the FINAL Unavoidable step..be it AN EXPENSE OR A CASH PAYMENT

Similarly "Settlement via Cash" needs approval!

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately, our answer for this remains the same – we don’t plan to add explicit “approval” for when bills/payments are added, updated, or deleted. We’ve actually tried a feature like this in the past, and the overwhelming feedback was that our users wanted us to get rid of it. For the average person, it’s quite a hassle to manually approve every transaction on Splitwise, and it makes the site very difficult to use unless all of your friends are active users.

As always, you can set your notification settings to be notified any time that something is added or updated. And of course, you are always free to edit or remove expenses that you think were added incorrectly, and to talk out the issue with the involved parties. Sorry for the trouble!

← Previous 1 3 4

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base