Skip to content

General

376 results found

1. View accounts between any two friends

Typically I am only able to see what I owe my friends or vice versa. It would be a little more convenient if I could view the accounts between any two friends..This would be useful when either of them is unavailable to sort the accounts or if I want to settle up the accounts on their behalf.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)

For privacy reasons, we don’t let users view balances between their friends – it would open up quite a can of worms. However, it sounds like you might find it useful to create a group, which allows you to see and manage all expenses within that group, including expenses that may not involve you personally.

2. Should be able to include a friend who is not in a group to an expense

There are a lot of occasions where in friends from outside the group hangout with us. Currently there is no way to include those friends in addition to group in an expense.

Can you please implement.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →
  3. Enable email notifications by default

I added new bills, but since friends do not get notified, no one bothers to pay. Sucks big time.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We send a monthly summary to all users unless they login and turn this off. We want to avoid having people feel like they are being spammed by the system, so the email on every expense add is turned off by default. You can send a balance reminder through us from the web or apps pretty easily and we’ve got a politely worded default email so doing that should be pretty easy.

Marshall

4. Request a correction on bill which is posted by others

If User1 posted a shared bill which includes User1 and User2, User2 should not be allowed to edit or delete the bill instead User2 may request correction in the bill to the User1

Bill may be edited or deleted only by the one who posted the Bill

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

At least for now, Splitwise’s policy is that anyone involved in a bill has the power to view, edit, or delete it. We realize this can make things difficult if two users disagree on a bill – but even if editing was disallowed, those two users could still just add more expenses to change things to their liking.

Requesting a correction is a reasonable solution, but we feel it sacrifices too much simplicity, and is too complex for the average user. For that reason, we’ve decided not to include that feature. We’re sorry for the inconvenience!

5. Have a section to comment on expenses listed by others after posting

Have an option to add a comment on an expense posted by others..going to edit and writing a note is too long of a process..also this way one might not check the notes section or that expense explicitly..comments will be visible along with expense by default.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve made it more obvious that there are notes on an expense. We feel adding this feature will add too much complexity to the interface without a huge benefit.

Marshall

6. 4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

At least for now, Splitwise’s policy is that anyone involved in a bill has the power to view, edit, or delete it. We realize this can make things difficult if two users disagree on a bill – but even if editing was disallowed, those two users could still just add more expenses to change things to their liking.

We think it’s more important for users to be able to correct actual mistakes, and allowing editing by any involved user makes this much simpler for the majority of our users. Sorry for any inconvenience!

7. Quarterly, or yearly trends for utilites.

Right now I have to do this on my own, but it would be great if you had a spending analizer that could show trends in how much user based utilities, such as gas, electricity, and sewer change over time. Basically I know it costs more to heat my house in the winter with gas, but it would be fantastic to be able to give averages and trends to suspected roommates so that I know they are figuring that in when the agree to live with me. Also, though my suggestion is different than your matching suggestion of "editing future…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This isn’t really a core Splitwise feature. We do have an API for third parties to use to develop related apps at dev.splitwise.com that could be used to put this together. It’s possible we might do something similar with monthly spending graphs in the future that could be used to get this kind of information.

Marshall

8. plz remove uncheck option

plz remove uncheck option

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. improve the functionality of the mobile app

First, I want to tell you that I think splitwise is fantastic and I have had all of my friends sign up!

I think the functionality of the mobile app should be improved so it can be used just as easily as the website

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey! I’m glad you like our service. The mobile apps will eventually have most of the features of the web app. I’m only declining this because it does not have a specific completion goal for us to check off.

Marshall

10. provide option for user ids also

Instead of inserting email id everytime you can also create user names, email id should be mandatory for the first time for verifing after that user can login using their Usernames also

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

I’m not completely sure what you mean here, but I’m assuming you want the ability to add use nicknames for use in the app to add them to expenses? You should already be able to search by name in the fields to add expenses and it should find friends already on Splitwise first.

Marshall

11. Make it bigger.

I visited the website after a few weeks, and great! I love the new changes, that I now actually decided to use Splitwise forever.

Now that I have made the all important decision, I will start expecting bigger things. Have you ever looked at Splitwise as a place one stores ALL information about expenses, not just owing but also spending? Something like your personal account book. This would involve rethinking the structure to generalize 'an expense', and inherit 'owing money' from that. May be far fetched, but it must be food for thought.

Kudos, again. (y)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! We do have some big plans in store for Splitwise. I suspect you’ll find them awesome, though they are not quite what you have listed here. The only reason I’m “declining” this is that there is no specific goal we’d be able to check off as we move forward and we do have a roadmap that will cover some of these ideas.

Marshall

12. allow users to make payments with Dwolla!

It would be awesome if users could make payments with Dwolla. One of my roommates doesn't like to use Paypal for ethical reasons, and I'm starting to agree. Dwolla is cheaper, anyway. I would be thrilled if I could use it to make and receive payments.

360 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Debt shuffle

Your debt shuffle feature (simplify debt) fails to work. I have tried it between 2 ppl and got a message "Your debts were shuffled successfully." but when I check in my dashboard the same has not been done. Tried it twice, same results both the times.

Also, why can't we have that feature on Android?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Prateek,

Sounds like you might be having a rather specific problem, or encountering a bug – send a support request with more details and we’ll take a look?

Not having on Android: debt shuffle is a very complex feature and we try to keep the mobile apps as simple as possible.

Cheers,
    Jon

14. Making certain expenses be private or invisible for people within groups

We are a group of friends that share expenses on parties and presents. Not seeing items not involved in would make it possible to handle presents in SplitWise and thus migrating our data to here...

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We’ve committed to keeping all expenses visible in groups so any member can do the math themselves and add up the amounts. If you really want a private expense, add it outside the group.

Marshall

15. Mark transactions as refundable

The app should include an option to mark a transaction as refundable and later when we refund the amount in that transaction we should enter custom or predefined depreciation and should get the amount calculated and adjusted as per the choice.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Eliminate useless options in IOU and Record Payment options.

When I change the person paying to one name, the other box must not contain the same name. Based on the situation it must change. Usually the best guess is to swap.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  17. to modify default notifications

I made a lot of my friends join SplitWise after billmonk died. Unfortunately, I've a bunch of those who need to be prodded to do stuff.

Long story short, the deal is that when someone joins SplitWise, the all but the notifications for "adding an expense" and "deleting an expense" are disabled. This results in me going individually to everyone's desk to enable it so that they can't say, "Pending bill?! I didn't get any notification that there was any!!"

You may argue that SplitWise sends out monthly balance update, but trust me, if you make a payment at the…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We want to avoid having people feel like they are being spammed by the system, so the email on every expense add is turned off by default. You can send a balance reminder through us from the web or apps pretty easily and we’ve got a politely worded default email so doing that should be pretty easy.

On second thought, we might just add a “weekly activity” email if you have anything going on in your account, which might help in this case.

Marshall

18. Groups > Pls don't let any of the friend delete or edit a bill that he is not a part of

Suppose a group has 5 friends and i report a payment involving 4 of us except one person. Now the last person who is not a part of the bill has full control to edit/delete the bill i reported. This is not fair. May be he can view the bill as he is a friend/group member and its okay. But edit/delete a bill where you are not a part, is too weird! Or atleast there should be an option for the bill poster to approve/reject the edit/delete performed by one of the friends.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In a group, and bill added to the group can be seen and edited by anyone in the group, regardless of if they are involved in the bill or not. This is nice if you have related bills that not everyone is involved in, but might want to see (I might not pay anything on the electrical bill, but it’s important to me that my apartment has electricity).

We keep a detailed list of all changes in the history and anyone in a group can fix a mistake or undo a deleted expense.

19. Each time i need to set the option " Hide Items not involving me ". It would be better made this option as part of account setting.

Each time when i log in to spliwise, i need to set the option " Hide Items not involving me ". It would be better made this option as part of account setting. So it would be more user friendly.

42 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We haven’t had a lot of momentum around this request. We’ve decided that it ultimately doesn’t look like something we’ll be adding. Apologies for any inconvenience!

20. not block users without a supported browser.

I am trying to access this website from work and they are slow at updating things... They are still using old IE6. You can be like the rest of the internet and maybe have a message saying to upgrade but don't block out the site becausemy browser is not up to date. It's like saying I can't enter a coffee shop if I don't have a specific hat on. Yes the site may not work with the old browser but at least let me see that for myself.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m sorry you’re stuck on an older browser. Unfortunately, our site uses modern enough code that it really doesn’t work on IE 6 and 7. I don’t mean looks bad and is hard to use, but just completely broken. It’s more saying you can’t enter a coffee shop because it’s on fire.

I know this is a pretty terrible answer, but getting our site to anything close to working on IE 6 would increase our development time by at least 40%.

Marshall

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base