General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Backup

Provide an option to create a backup of all entries of all friends and groups at one click in spreadsheet form.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We don’t plan to bring a more comprehensive CSV export for Splitwise. If you’re looking for a total backup of your account, Splitwise Pro (in your web account settings) has an option to download a complete copy of your data from Splitwise.

• Need approval of spender during settlement.

it should need approval from the spender/lender while settling an expense. otherwise, for a huge group comprising of large number of transactions, it's hard to track/validate when some got settled and whether it's authentic.

2 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve actually tried a feature like this in the past, and the overwhelming feedback was that our users wanted us to get rid of it. For the average person, it’s quite a hassle to manually approve every transaction on Splitwise, and it makes the site very difficult to use unless all of your friends are active users.

You can always edit the payment at a later date to add notes that it is confirmed or add comments to the payment to say that you have confirmed it.

Marshall

• Keep track of personal expenses while in the group

When I am on a road trip with friends I may log expenses for myself to see the total cost of the trip (or my share). Even though app allows to do that, people freak out when see such transactions in their summary (with a total cost 0.00 for other group participants). It would be nice if such expenses do not show up in printable summary for the participant that are not involved, or hide those "you paid for yourself" transactions for other members of the group.

2 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          4 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately, I don’t think we’re likely to add a feature like this – we generally like for all group members to be able to see all bills, even the ones they’re not involved in, because it often helps people to find and catch mistakes. For now, you may want to create a separate group for your personal expenses and save items there, which should still allow you to keep track of your totals (though you’ll still have to add those totals to the main group’s totals in order to get a picture of all total spending).

• debt simplification on mobile app

I quite liked the Debt Simplification feature on the web app. Why can't we have a similar feature on the mobile app?

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We support debt simplification for groups in our mobile apps (it’s under “Group settings”), but we don’t plan to add more advanced debt simplification features to mobile right now. We’ve found that more advanced versions of “simplify debt” cause a lot of confusion for most people, and that those simplifications are often really difficult to follow, especially when you’re not the one who added the simplification in the first place. Sorry for the trouble!

• 4 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve tried this in the past and found that it add significantly more stress and confusion in general because most people do not want to verify payments. So you wind up with most people just having a pile of “unverified” payments stressing them out.

Marshall

• Confirmation of settle up

Because anyone can post settle up so why dont we have a confirmation for the receiver when he receives the money

17 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                9 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback Romy! We are committed to keeping Splitwise ‘wiki-style’, meaning everyone can add/edit/delete things. It makes the app easier to use.

You can choose to get an email / push notification anytime someone adds a payment with you, and you can see a list of payments made (and other activity) in your ‘Recent Activity’ tab. I hope these measures will be enough to help you feel like you always know what’s going on.

Thanks for using Splitwise and best!
                Zoe

• Hide transactions from people not involved

There should be an option in the groups' settings to always hide transactions from people that are not present, and prevent those people from seeing the transaction (or just hide the value).

This would be helpful in a group of friends where you don't want to disclose, eg, the birthday present's value to whoever's birthday it is.

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We believe anyone in a group should be able to see any expense in that group so they can audit our calculations. If you want to keep an expense private, add it outside the group. Expenses outside the group are only visible to the people involved in the expense.

Marshall

• allow for "secret" expenses in a group.

Dear Splitwise team,
                  first of all thanks for a great application! It would be even more awesome if it supported the following use case:
                  I frequently run into situations where in a group of people, we want to share the cost of a present for one of the group members among the rest. It would be awesome to use the existing Splitwise group, but of course we don't want the person who got the present to know how much we paid.
                  Or is there a convenient way to take care of this that I have not discovered yet? As far…

4 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve decided not to do this. If an expense is in a group, every member should be able to see it. Once you can’t see all of the expenses, it’s impossible to verify that the totals are correct and we’re not willing to break this.

Marshall

• option to verify and approve the expense under a group for group moderator

option to verify and approve the expense under a group for group moderator

10 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry, but we don’t have any plans to add expense approval or group moderators at this time. We’ve actually tried approval for payments in the past, and found that it didn’t work well for most of our users. Apologies for the inconvenience!

• allow receiver to confirm payment before it reflects in splitwise

Today my friend updated that he maid a payment to me for the money he owed me. This got reflected on my dashboard, which now shows that he does not owe me any money. In this case, he transferred the money through internet banking. Before the changes get reflected on the dashboard, splitwise should ask me for confirmation whether I have received the payment. If I say yes (after checking my bank account) then only it should show on my dashboard that my friend does not owe me any money.

66 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        39 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Splitwise actually used to work this way, but we got rid of the confirmation step because people complained that it was too much of a hassle (and we agreed). We think that Splitwise becomes too difficult to use if you have to manually approve every change in your account.

Our in-between solution was email notifications. By default, you should get an email any time someone says they have paid you, and then if you wish you can double-check that they have actually given you money. (And if they haven’t, then you can delete the payment from Splitwise!) You can also see a full record of changes in your account at any time by going to the “Recent activity” screen.

Hope that makes sense! Let us know if you have questions or concerns.

• Add user permissions when editing/deleting bills

For example: if A adds a bill, only A should have the right to edit it or delete it.

43 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          26 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve thought about this a lot since we started Splitwise, and we think it’s important that anyone involved in an expense be allowed to edit or delete it. (We also think this is true for anyone in the same group as an expense, even if you’re not directly involved.) We don’t expect to add permissions in the near future.

You can read more about our reasoning here: http://feedback.splitwise.com/knowledgebase/articles/89944-why-can-other-people-edit-or-delete-expenses-that-

• Add a way to delete items / Delete history

It would be better if you add the functionality to:

1. Delete multiple items from the group
                          2. Delete items on the monthly basis from the group
                          3. Delete History (Clear history)

13 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve started adding functionality to the web that will hide expenses whenever a group or friendship hits an overall balance of $0. We’ll likely bring this to the iPhone and Android. We do not plan to add any mass-deletion functionality.

Marshall

• 'Change currency' button when one changes currency

When one changes currency from USD to something else (INR in my case), show a small mini-popup-like thingy, which says "click here if you want to save INR as your default currency for all future transactions". Will save a trip to the settings panel and a dozen of seconds of search.

2 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We try to guess the correct currency when you first sign up based on your location and if you were invited by anyone, so I hope this feature isn’t really necessary.

Marshall

• create a way to settle expenses between specific members of a group

I think it would be great if you could create a way to settle expenses between certain people in a group, not everybody in a group. That was something we had when we used Billmonk - you could choose who to settle the bills with. For example, suppose that person A owes person B, and C owes A. When person C needs to settle with A, they end up needing to pay back person B. In the current group set-up, if person B doesn't really know or have contact with person C, it makes it more complicated to facilitate payment.

6 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Song-My – it sounds like you’re using a group with “debt simplification” turned on. If you turn simplified debts off, the group should function just the way you’re describing (e.g. if A owes B and C owes A, that will NOT be simplified down to “C owes B”).

You can turn off simplified debts from the web by clicking “More details” next to your balance summary to bring up the details for your full group. Then click the “Simplify debt?” toggle in the upper-right to turn off auto-simplification.

And if I’ve misunderstood your suggestion and you’d actually like a different feature, let us know! :)

• [FEATURE] Split Tasks also

I was working on an App similar to this for my custom use case, but never thought that having a Web UI would help. :) Great job with the app firstly.

My idea is like this:
                                Splitwise - It doesn't have to be restricted to splitting bills. I should be able to list down a list of tasks also for a group (like a TODO, for the whole group).

Say :
                                1. Buy Groceries
                                2. Pay Internet Bill (Amount Rs 1000) so on.

Members of the group can strike off tasks (mentioning Notes) and the Group is Notified.

An extension…

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Karthik,

We’re planning on sticking with just managing bills and expenses for the foreseeable future. This is a great idea and we do have an API for third parties who want to use our system and data for other purposes, so making a third party app that does this and integrates with Splitwise is certainly possible.

We currently have about a years worth of backlog of exciting new stuff for the site and apps for just managing money. We’re a pretty small company, so adding more features that aren’t just focused on that is currently just not something we can do.

Marshall

• 1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Create an unpaid bill

When I click to add a bill, it assumes it's been paid. This is a bad assumption. Use Case: I want to add an unpaid cable bill to split. Can't do it.

5 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m declining this because we have a different solution in mind for dealing with unpaid bills that will be coming in the next 3-6 months. Handling bills in a better and cleaner way is really important to us, so we’re going to build out a more comprehensive set of features around this.

Marshall

• Allow importing expenses from a CSV file

I am currently switching from a competitor service and I really don't want to reenter all my sharing history with my friends. A csv import would be great.
                                      Also, this would be quite useful when I go on holidays: I can create a csv file offline on my phone and import it into Splitwise when I get home.

12 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        28 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We don’t currently have plans to create a CSV importer, as there’s no standard CSV format for split expenses (and creating one would be rather messy). Importing from a spreadsheet would definitely be a good feature, but not many people have asked for the ability to import, and as a small team we’ve had to prioritize other features for now. So sorry!

If you’re switching from another service, your best bet is to simply transfer over your total balances, rather than your complete expense history. First add the people you have balances with, then add an IOU with each person for your current balance (e.g. “I owe Anna $36 for past expenses”, “Fred owes me $82 for past expenses”, etc.)

• 7 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Splitwise is all about everyone being on the same page. We firmly believe that anyone with bills in our system should be able to look them up and see how much they owe. We do not plan to add this. We do allow dummy users that are not attached to emails in groups in the occasional case where all but one person in an apartment has agreed to use splitwise, but you still need to split things with that person.

Marshall

• Stop saying “Settle Up”

Settling is a downward motion. The idioms are “to settle a debt” as to resolve the debt or “to saddle up” as to prepare to leave by putting a saddle on your horse. Pick one, not both.

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base