General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Trip Expenditure per person

When I create a new trip, and add expenses.
    It will be good if I can get a report of how much it costed per person.
    For ex, total trip expenditure was about $500, and 4 people, assuming, we all shared money equally, the cost-per-person listing will help track travel expenditure.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We don’t have a “post trip report” yet, but we do have monthly spending charts in the web interface fro groups (under the trends icon in the far right) and you can click on view full charts to get detailed spending summaries.

Marshall

2. Decimal point in amount entry

I'd probably be easier and less confusing if in the amount entry when adding a bill, the decimal keyboard (UIKeyboardTypeDecimalPad) where shown instead of only numbers.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update: we’ve moved away from the ATM style input field.

I’ll pass on the suggestion! Right now our number input is designed to work more like ATMs and some other banking apps, where numbers fill in from the right as you type. Sorry for any confusion!

3. translations to different languages

I think it would be useful to have splitwise interfaces (web and mobile devices) in different languages as it is a really great tool which should be understandable for everyone.

Maybe starting with common languages like Russian, German, French, Spanish, Italian...

149 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    27 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update: Splitwise is now available in Spanish, German, Dutch, French, Italian, Brazilian Portuguese and European Portuguese. For more information about translations, see http://blog.splitwise.com/about/translators/

We’d love to internationalize, and definitely plan to do so in the future! Right now, Splitwise is still changing pretty fast, and we’re still settling on some of the language that we use in English. Once that’s a bit more settled, we hope to start work on translating into other languages, so that more people around the world can use Splitwise :)

4. Deleting or Hiding Groups

I Know that you Guys are working on this issues.
    I presume that you are working on Hiding Groups instead of Deleting them.

What i wanna suggest is that if you can provide both the options, Deleting & Hididng, it would be good.
    But Deleting should be done only after all the users in that group are Settled Up.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update: we now hide groups that have been settled up for at least 40 days. You can also still delete groups.

We’d definitely like a better way to handle the closing/hiding of groups, besides just deleting the group entirely. We’ve got a lot on our to-do list, but we’re hoping to add this feature in the not-too-distant future :)

5. Owed money between someone without an account

Hi,

I think the app has some great features and could be useful; however it requires everyone involved in an expense to be a registered user. I should be able to use the application to split bills and keep track of money owed between myself and a friend who does not use the app.

If this feature is available and I did not understand how to use it please let me know. I would also like to know if you add the feature as I would register for another account.

Regards,
    Ryan Clare

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the confusion. Your friends definitely don’t have to make accounts for you to continue to add bills with them.

If you add their email address on a bill, they’ll get an email notification that you did so but only once — we won’t spam them. Their email address will be available to you in the system to add more bills as you continue to use Splitwise yourself.

If you don’t want to provide their info at all, just create a group on the website and add members by name only. No contact info required.

Cheers, Zoe

6. Currency conversion

When I went to Cancun, I charged/paid for things at different locations and at each location, there was a different exchange rate for the peso to USD. I would like to suggest a way to set the exchange rate for each item when doing a "trip" group. I ended up having to manually calculate the conversion and split it up each night for a group of 16.

313 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    42 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Currency conversion is now included with our premium version, Splitwise Pro (https://secure.splitwise.com/pro/subscribe). Right now, it’s a web-only feature, but we hope to add it to our mobile apps in the future!

On the web, if you click on a friend or group in the left sidebar, then click the settings icon at the top of the right sidebar, you’ll see an option to convert all transactions with that friend/group to your default currency, using the current market exchange rate. You’ll also see a suggestion to convert currencies appear automatically when viewing a group with balances in multiple currencies.

Hope this helps a bit! We’d definitely like to continue improving multiple currency support over time – I can’t say how quickly that will happen, as we’re a very tiny team, but it remains on our to-do list for the future. If you have suggestions or feedback, feel free to…

7. Monthly email reminders

I like the function to email people in the group to remind them to settle up. Our rent is due on a certain day every month. It would be great if there was a setting to select this settle up email to go out automatically on a certain day each month.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

By default, there’s a monthly summary email that goes out to all users on the first of the month. You can also set up an automatic reminder email for a specific bill by going into the date settings for that bill – click on the date, then choose a repeat interval, and you should see an option for sending a reminder in advance.

Hope that helps! If you’re looking for something different, or if I’ve misunderstood your suggestion, let us know at support@splitwise.com – we’d love to hear your thoughts :)

8. Delete Expense

1. When a expense is deleted, a push notification is sent to ios users, however it doesnt say who deleted the expense?

Could you please add this information in the push message.

2. When the push notification is clicked, it should take straight to that particular expense details and not the overview screen.

Please do the needful for our convenience.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Don't require email address for group members

Requiring group members to have a unique email address makes it difficult to keep track of money I owe myself.

I sometimes borrow money from a savings account and want to track how much I "owe" myself which SplitWise would be perfect for with a slight change. The current system only allows unique email addresses as group members so I have to use a workaround to add my savings account as a member so I can record my repayment.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Actually, email addresses are already optional for group members – on the “create group” page, just leave a person’s email blank when adding them. The field should say “Email address (optional)”. Hope that helps!

10. Edit friends bug

I had same friend with different email ids I was not sure how to merge them. But after looking at the new edit friend I changed one of the email id to already existing one. So instead is merging those two I lost the details of one.
    I loved your iOS app at the first glance. I've recommended your app to at least 50 ppl. Please get the android app to the same level thanks!

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi there! So sorry to hear you’re having troubles. We know that the Android app is lagging behind our other platforms, so we have all 3 of our developers working hard on Android Version 3.0 so we can bring it up to speed.

However, what you experienced wasn’t really a bug (though it was probably as annoying as a bug)- just a features limitation; we don’t allow users to merge accounts, but are always happy to do it for you on our end. Next time, just email support@splitwise.com and tell us the email addresses that you want merged, and we’ll do it ASAP! Thanks for using Splitwise!

11. Show contact info

Give users the ability to see the contact info linked to each contact's name. Sometimes, I'd like to know if I'm sending a notification to someone's email or phone number but there's no way to see. For some reason, sometimes I have two contacts for the same person and one will be linked to an email address and another will be linked to a phone number but I can't tell which one is which.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Go for text ads

Would be great if you can go for text ads...it will be a great chance for u to earn some bucks.. :)

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add an Event and Trip feature

Ability to create an event or a trip, where a bunch of people put in the money they spent (optional who to split if with, default all in that Event or Trip). At the end who owes who is recorded and people can settle up.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey there – have you tried creating a group? Groups work more or less how you described: they allow a bunch of people to put in expenses together (with the default being split among the whole group), and at the end of the trip you can see everyone’s total balances. Check it out, and let us know what you think!

14. Download/export Splitwise data

User should be able to download their entire data from Splitwise if they wish to do so. This data should include friend's list, emails, all transactions, groups and group transactions etc. if possible it should be in a neatly formatted spreadsheet.

89 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    18 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can do this from our web interface – just view a group or friend and click the “settings/gear” icon in the upper-right of the right-side column. In the menu that appears, click “Export as spreadsheet” to download a .csv file with all your expenses.

We also have a “download full backup” for Splitwise Pro users under advanced features in account settings. This includes all data for the account, but is in JSON format.

Marshall

15. that there should be a free text to enter comments

Having a free text to enter comments helps to keep a record like what item cost how much or some basic calculation done before punching bill to save time and unncessary number of iteration

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Viresh – you can already include a note with any expense you add, by entering text into the Notes field. That field is designed so that you can include comments or extra information about a bill.

Hope that helps – let me know if I’ve misunderstood your suggestion!

16. to have a check box which will select all the members and de select all the members at a time

to have a check box which will select all the members and de select all the members in a group

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We don’t currently have plans to add a “select all”/“deselect all” toggle, but there is another way to do this!

In the main “Add bill” form, select the field that says “With you and: [your group]”. Delete the “[your group]” token, then type in the names of the specific people that you want to split the bill with. That way, you can add a bill that is split with only those people, without having to un-check a whole bunch of entries on the “split details” screen. Hope that helps!

17. Link to Venmo!

This website is fantastic! One suggestion to perhaps close the "Payment" loop: Our group pays eachother using the Venmo peer-to-peer payment system. One feature of Venmo is that I can send "payment request" to my friends, and they will just "approve" the charge (at which point, I get paid). It would be great if there was a simple system within splitwise (say, a one-click button) that would send out venmo bills to group members when I try to reconcile my splitwise expenses. Also, it could automatically record the payments within splitwise, thus automatically tracking who had paid me back.

104 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Venmo is now available on all the official Splitwise apps (web, iPhone, and Android)! Please note that this feature is restricted to users inside the US, and that you will need the Venmo app installed on your mobile device in order to make Venmo payments through the Splitwise mobile app.

18. Allow Push Notifications from Splitwise (instead of email)

The current app does a great job of emailing at every action, but after a while these can add up. If possible, SplitWise should store which platform each account holder uses and notify them via push notifications. These can be short, to the point, and would always keep people in the loop.

Plus, email is always a backup, if users choose!

56 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Person wise History

I Maintain a similar system on Microsoft Excel, and one feature that I really like in maintaining on excel is it gives me a history of all expenses one person has made.

As of now, splitwise does not give person wise expense history. I would like to see a person wise split, which would show each persons split of the expense and a total sum of the month.

Also the pdf monthly report is faulty, needs to be fixed.

The Graphs are refreshed every month, there should be a menu to select the month for the graphical expense display.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve added a number of ways to look at person-to-person history since this suggestion was originally posted – export to spreadsheet, printable monthly summaries, etc – so I’m going to mark this as completed. If you’re still looking for different ways to look at your history, please start a new forum post and let us know what you’re looking for. We’re always curious to hear new suggestions!

20. Recording a payment

Suppose A paid B a sum of $ x. When that payment is recorded, the mobile app, in my opinion, incorrectly says "B paid A $ x". It should be the other way round. Its confusing if you put it that way. The overall balances settle up correctly but the description of the payment on the Android app is confusing.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base