General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. option to verify and approve the expense under a group for group moderator

option to verify and approve the expense under a group for group moderator

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry, but we don’t have any plans to add expense approval or group moderators at this time. We’ve actually tried approval for payments in the past, and found that it didn’t work well for most of our users. Apologies for the inconvenience!

2. Display date with the expense item in the list

Display date with the expense item in the list

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! We chose not to display the date with each expense item in the list in order to reduce clutter and make the list easier to read. (We found that most users were not paying much attention to the date.) You can still see the date for any given item by clicking on it and viewing its details. Apologies for the inconvenience!

3. allow receiver to confirm payment before it reflects in splitwise

Today my friend updated that he maid a payment to me for the money he owed me. This got reflected on my dashboard, which now shows that he does not owe me any money. In this case, he transferred the money through internet banking. Before the changes get reflected on the dashboard, splitwise should ask me for confirmation whether I have received the payment. If I say yes (after checking my bank account) then only it should show on my dashboard that my friend does not owe me any money.

69 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    39 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Splitwise actually used to work this way, but we got rid of the confirmation step because people complained that it was too much of a hassle (and we agreed). We think that Splitwise becomes too difficult to use if you have to manually approve every change in your account.

Our in-between solution was email notifications. By default, you should get an email any time someone says they have paid you, and then if you wish you can double-check that they have actually given you money. (And if they haven’t, then you can delete the payment from Splitwise!) You can also see a full record of changes in your account at any time by going to the “Recent activity” screen.

Hope that makes sense! Let us know if you have questions or concerns.

4. Add user permissions when editing/deleting bills

For example: if A adds a bill, only A should have the right to edit it or delete it.

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    26 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve thought about this a lot since we started Splitwise, and we think it’s important that anyone involved in an expense be allowed to edit or delete it. (We also think this is true for anyone in the same group as an expense, even if you’re not directly involved.) We don’t expect to add permissions in the near future.

You can read more about our reasoning here: http://feedback.splitwise.com/knowledgebase/articles/89944-why-can-other-people-edit-or-delete-expenses-that-

5. Add a way to delete items / Delete history

It would be better if you add the functionality to:

1. Delete multiple items from the group
    2. Delete items on the monthly basis from the group
    3. Delete History (Clear history)

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve started adding functionality to the web that will hide expenses whenever a group or friendship hits an overall balance of $0. We’ll likely bring this to the iPhone and Android. We do not plan to add any mass-deletion functionality.

Marshall

6. 'Change currency' button when one changes currency

When one changes currency from USD to something else (INR in my case), show a small mini-popup-like thingy, which says "click here if you want to save INR as your default currency for all future transactions". Will save a trip to the settings panel and a dozen of seconds of search.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We try to guess the correct currency when you first sign up based on your location and if you were invited by anyone, so I hope this feature isn’t really necessary.

Marshall

7. create a way to settle expenses between specific members of a group

I think it would be great if you could create a way to settle expenses between certain people in a group, not everybody in a group. That was something we had when we used Billmonk - you could choose who to settle the bills with. For example, suppose that person A owes person B, and C owes A. When person C needs to settle with A, they end up needing to pay back person B. In the current group set-up, if person B doesn't really know or have contact with person C, it makes it more complicated to facilitate payment.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Song-My – it sounds like you’re using a group with “debt simplification” turned on. If you turn simplified debts off, the group should function just the way you’re describing (e.g. if A owes B and C owes A, that will NOT be simplified down to “C owes B”).

You can turn off simplified debts from the web by clicking “More details” next to your balance summary to bring up the details for your full group. Then click the “Simplify debt?” toggle in the upper-right to turn off auto-simplification.

And if I’ve misunderstood your suggestion and you’d actually like a different feature, let us know! :)

8. [FEATURE] Split Tasks also

I was working on an App similar to this for my custom use case, but never thought that having a Web UI would help. :) Great job with the app firstly.

My idea is like this:
    Splitwise - It doesn't have to be restricted to splitting bills. I should be able to list down a list of tasks also for a group (like a TODO, for the whole group).

Say :
    1. Buy Groceries
    2. Pay Internet Bill (Amount Rs 1000) so on.

Members of the group can strike off tasks (mentioning Notes) and the Group is Notified.

An extension…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Karthik,

We’re planning on sticking with just managing bills and expenses for the foreseeable future. This is a great idea and we do have an API for third parties who want to use our system and data for other purposes, so making a third party app that does this and integrates with Splitwise is certainly possible.

We currently have about a years worth of backlog of exciting new stuff for the site and apps for just managing money. We’re a pretty small company, so adding more features that aren’t just focused on that is currently just not something we can do.

Marshall

9. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! Our team is currently too small to support more platforms than we are currently on.
    If you’re interested, we do have an API at dev.splitwise.com.

10. ONly the owner of the expense should be allowed to edit but not everyone . I was able to delete the data entered by others

ONly the owner of the expense should be allowed to edit but not everyone . I was able to delete the data entered by others

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

At least for now, Splitwise’s policy is that anyone involved in a bill has the power to view, edit, or delete it. We realize this can make things difficult if two users disagree on a bill – but even if editing was disallowed, those two users could still just add more expenses to change things to their liking.

We think it’s more important for users to be able to correct actual mistakes, and allowing editing by any involved user makes this much simpler for the majority of our users. Sorry for any inconvenience!

11. Allow importing expenses from a CSV file

I am currently switching from a competitor service and I really don't want to reenter all my sharing history with my friends. A csv import would be great.
    Also, this would be quite useful when I go on holidays: I can create a csv file offline on my phone and import it into Splitwise when I get home.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    30 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We don’t currently have plans to create a CSV importer, as there’s no standard CSV format for split expenses (and creating one would be rather messy). Importing from a spreadsheet would definitely be a good feature, but not many people have asked for the ability to import, and as a small team we’ve had to prioritize other features for now. So sorry!

If you’re switching from another service, your best bet is to simply transfer over your total balances, rather than your complete expense history. First add the people you have balances with, then add an IOU with each person for your current balance (e.g. “I owe Anna $36 for past expenses”, “Fred owes me $82 for past expenses”, etc.)

12. Create an unpaid bill

When I click to add a bill, it assumes it's been paid. This is a bad assumption. Use Case: I want to add an unpaid cable bill to split. Can't do it.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m declining this because we have a different solution in mind for dealing with unpaid bills that will be coming in the next 3-6 months. Handling bills in a better and cleaner way is really important to us, so we’re going to build out a more comprehensive set of features around this.

Marshall

13. 7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Splitwise is all about everyone being on the same page. We firmly believe that anyone with bills in our system should be able to look them up and see how much they owe. We do not plan to add this. We do allow dummy users that are not attached to emails in groups in the occasional case where all but one person in an apartment has agreed to use splitwise, but you still need to split things with that person.

Marshall

14. WP8 client tip calc whole $

Tip.calc needs to show whole number and calc based on that. Currently the slider moves through unknown % for a given tip.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Stop saying “Settle Up”

Settling is a downward motion. The idioms are “to settle a debt” as to resolve the debt or “to saddle up” as to prepare to leave by putting a saddle on your horse. Pick one, not both.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Splitwise Avatar

I would appreciate it if you could put a skirt on my splitwise avatar. Thank you.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Only group admin/creator can add or remove people from the group.

Only group admin/creator can add or remove people from the group.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have gotten a few of these requests in the past, but currently we have the mindset that people in a group trust each other enough to not abuse the system. We do have the history tab for the groups, so everyone can see anything that’s been done in the group activity wise.

Currently group members can’t be removed from the group unless they have a zero balance.

18. Keep track of debt w/o inviting friend

I'd like the ability to keep track of debts without inviting the other person. Examples of this would be me borrowing money from say my grandparents (who don't even have a computer). This would be useful as I could then have a broad overview of both money owed to me and money I owe on my dashboard and I'd be able to have a "record" of payments.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Barrett – we do allow this in groups, but we’ve decided not to allow it in friendships. Friend invites are a core part of how we grow as a site, so for better or for worse an email address is required. Sorry! Thanks for the suggestion, and let us know if you have any other thoughts or suggestions.

19. Require users to approve expenses they are involved with

When one person in a group adds an expense, the other members of that group should have to manually approve the expense before it is added to their balance.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve considered this feature before and decided against adding it. For many users, this might be a hassle: we would clog their email inbox with unnecessary messages asking for confirmation. We also think this would make balances more confusing, as it might be difficult to figure out which bills are “confirmed” and count towards the balance and which bills are still “unconfirmed”.

20. Shared shopping list

It would be nice if we could share a shopping list with my roommates.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! We do have a whiteboard feature in the new interface on the website that you could use for a shopping list, but we will probably not support anything more complicated than that.

Marshall

• Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base