Skip to content

General

869 results found

1. Add a "bailed" option

for expenses when someone decides to not participate on a group, to split what they paid as an expense for everyone else.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)

Interesting suggestion! I can see how this would be useful in some unfortunate situations. For now, you could try adding a “Bailed” expense, where the person who owes the money “paid” and everyone else splits the cost.

2. add notes with acknowledge feature

Google Drive (sheets) already has this feature. Basically, instead of a note, you add a comment to a cell which the other person can respond to or acknowledge. So, if my roommate gives me a receipt and I disagree with a charge, I can remove that portion of it, and state my justification for changing the subtotal. That way, (s)he knows why I did it and knows to come talk to me if it doesn't make sense (e.g. where are those batteries you bought? I need some.)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! I know the feature you’re talking about on Google Drive/Docs/Sheets, and it does come in useful sometimes. This probably won’t get added to our comments in the very near future (it’d require some cross-platform work), but I’ll pass on the suggestion and add it to our list of possible improvements.

3. right bar

make the gear icon at the top right not look disabled when it's not selected

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  4. Set or postpone the monthly balance

It would be great if the monthly balance (washup) could be postponed or even set to a user-defined date rather than the end of the calendar month

There are 2 scenarios where u would find this useful:
    1. Special events that have a fixed duration (say 3 weeks) and we collectively set a date for finalising expenses relating to the event

1. Sometimes routine ongoing shared expenses don't always work for monthly washup at the end of the calendar month & we may want to (for this month) set a temporary & new date (eg 5th), or a permanent repeating date
    2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We’ve definitely thought about cases where people aren’t necessarily settling up at the end of each month, and I think we could do a better job adding features for that. I don’t think we’re likely to allow users to shift the monthly summary itself, but I’d love to add support for additional messages for things like group trips and other short-term events. I’ll pass on a note about this at our next design meeting!

5. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Group summary

A group would have many transactions that are not split equally. And so it is very useful to know exactly what the status of a particular group is. Total group's expenditure, my share, etc.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →
  7. organise the dashboard

can organise your dashboard, so often used friends/groups are on top of the page/app or you can organise manualy

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Hey Frederique – I’ll pass on your suggestion! For now, you could try tapping on the total balance boxes at the top of the screen (“you owe”, “you are owed”, “total balance”), which will filter your list of friends and show only the people that you have balances with. Hopefully that helps a little!

8. showing days expense under category rather than bills itself

rather showing every bill ...bill should shown day wise and under categories ...it would then easy to analyse expenses....for example to see my daily or monthly expenses on food or travel..i would simple click on food category of particuler date or month respectively ...this would make managing expense easier

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Annant – thanks for the interesting suggestion! I don’t think we’re likely to change the main way that bills are displayed, but I could see this as a really useful alternate view, or as part of a summary view. We’re hoping to add some better summary features next year, so I’ll pass on your thoughts at our next design meeting and see what the rest of the team thinks :)

9. Show "Balances" initially collapsed

The default display when choosing the "Balances" window it's to show who owes whom. For our coffee club it is more convenient to list each member's balance only (and not also say who that member owes our it's owed an amount). If the members balances are listed we can easily determine who should pay for coffee next...the one with the highest debt.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Hmm…it looks like our iPhone app does this already (it collapses all but the first person’s balances), but our Android app doesn’t. I’ll pass on your feedback and see if that’s a change we can make in a future update.

10. Show monthly total that x owes me as of that month

Consider the case if users are not settling up bills months and some time after if i want to check whats x owes me as of previous month end. Show the total that x owes me at end of that month for all previous months in "all transactions list".

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can view this currently from our website – just log in, then go to a friend or group, and then click the “View printable summary” link at the top of each month’s expenses. We hope to bring something similar to our mobile apps in the future. Until then, apologies for the inconvenience!

11. A group I created is totally boned because I entered someone's name twice into all expenses. Create a clean way to correct this mistake.

I can add dummy expenses to settle the redundant person's debt, but then I also can't modify any older expenses that involved the redundant person. It also looks weird to anyone else who sees strange expenses to settle that person's debt.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Byron – very sorry for the trouble! I imagine this is pretty frustrating, so I’ll definitely pass on the feedback at our next team meeting.

For now, if you email us at support@splitwise.com, we should be able to add the second redundant person back to your account again, and then you’ll be able to edit the older expenses that involved that person (after which you can delete the person again). Again, sorry for the confusion!

12. email notifications in digest format

When I settle up with my roommates, we usually settle up at the same time. When we do, I often get a barrage of notifications and email, one or more of each from all my roommates.

It would be great to get a single email with all of the transactions from the last 24 hours (or 12 hours, or 1 hour...) instead of a barrage of emails, or at least be able to snooze or modify my email notification settings.

Thanks,

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion, and sorry for the trouble! We’d like to do better digest emails at some point (like our monthly summary, but for weekly or daily updates), but we just haven’t gotten around to it yet :) For now, if you’d like to turn off some of the emails you’re getting, you can change your notification preferences from your account settings page. Hope that helps!

13. Default currency for a group in the web client

On the mobile client, whenever I add a new bill, it automatically uses the currency that I've been using in that group (e.g. I'm currently on vacation in Europe, and I'm putting all expenses in EUR).

On the web app, it still defaulted to USD $. It's not a huge deal since I can edit it, but would be nice if it defaulted to the commonly used currency in the group or something.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! That makes sense – our multi-currency support could definitely use some polish across our different apps. I’ll pass on your thoughts, and hopefully we’ll be able to improve this the next time we make a round of updates to multi-currency support :)

14. itemised friend balance, with cumulative balance

When I click on a friend, I see total balances for the group that that friend is in, as well other expenses.

Would it be possible to get an itemised list for all entries involving that friend regardless of which group the expense occurred in, but excluding any group entries that don't involve that friend?

On such an itemised list, I would also like to see a column representing cumulative balance with that friend, so I can look back along that column to see when the balance with that friend was last zero.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ll pass on the suggestion! Unfortunately, there are some factors that make this tricky – for instance, for groups that use the “Simplify debts” setting, breaking down someone’s balance on an expense-by-expense basis isn’t very straightforward. (With “simplify debts” on, it’s possible to owe someone even if you’ve never shared an expense together!) Still, we’d definitely like to get better at explaining your total balance with a person, and this could help with that :)

15. 4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. identifying the member who owes the most in a group

In group with lots of members it is difficult to find out who owes/is owed the most. It would make it easier for that member to pay large expenses and even up with the rest of the group.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Make it easy to by from a group

This can be done by adding a expense paid by multiple people, each person paid for their own share and split by (the person buying). I have previously done this using negative values, but it never seemed to really be supported.

A quick fix would be to add the "each person paid for their own share" to mobile (iPhone, dono if the Android version has it).

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Makes sense! I’ve actually started work on a feature like this, but I’m not sure exactly when it will be released. (Group buy/reimbursement transactions are very rare in general, so a few other things have taken priority.) Hopefully soon, though!

18. Just used PayPal integration to settle funds - that was helpful! Would be great to add a comment so it is clear what the payment is for

Just used PayPal integration to settle funds - that was helpful! Would be great to add a comment so it is clear what the payment is for.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Tushar,

Thanks for the suggestion. Just so you know, you can add a comment on the Splitwise side, either before you submit the payment or after in the Notes/Comments field, which will generate an email by default (depending on user preferences). Just won’t be in the PayPal receipt, which is itself a good idea but we have somewhat less control over that.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Jon

19. Don't suggest individuals to pay back. Treat the group as the important entity.

Feature request.
    An option to treat the group as an entity such that instead of being told I owe person x report back that I owe the group (or the group owes me)

I don't need to see suggestions of who I pay back, because I will be paying to the group next time I pay for something.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ll pass on the suggestion! For now, you should be able to do this by just ignoring the suggested repayments, and only paying attention to your total group balance. Apologies for the trouble!

20. Let me link to my profile for people to add ME

I want to share my profile on facebook with a bunch of my friends so that they can add me and I don't have to collect email addresses. Or just have my facebook/google friends be on my friends list by default, then if they make an account we're already friends and they can see their balance.

Also, what good does linking my google or facebook do?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

It certainly makes sense to have a shareable profile link – in fact, I’m pretty sure that’s on our to-do list already (we just haven’t gotten to it yet). I’ll pass on the “default friends list” suggestion as well.

Right now, connecting with Google lets you access your Google contacts straight from Splitwise, so that when you start typing in a name, we can autocomplete that person’s email address. (Connecting with Facebook just lets you log in; we don’t currently request any access to your list of Facebook friends.)

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base