General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Make payment from screen that appears immediately after clicking on push notification

My workflow with Splitwise is usually as follows:

1. My roommate adds an expense and bills me
    2. I get a push notification of what I owe
    3. I click on the notification and splitwise opens

From the screen that opens, it'd be great to be able to have a 'Pay with Venmo' option right there, as it's what I want to do almost 100% of the time.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for writing in with this interesting idea! I can see how this would be useful for you. Most of our users don’t pay after every expense is added, so I think this might end up causing frustration/confusion for the majority of our users.

• Création de nouvelles catégories

Pouvez vous créer la catégorie enfant avec sous catégories: nounou, cantine, sports, musique, colonie, périscolaire

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

Merci pour la suggestion! Nous allons considérer cela la prochaine fois que nous mettrons à jour notre liste de catégories. Pour l’instant, je suggère de créer un groupe spécifiquement pour les dépenses liées aux enfants, et je pense que vous verrez déjà certaines de ces catégories, telles que les sports et la musique sous “Divertissement”.

Traduction par Google.

• Bug Report - Edit Expense

After editing a saved expense,

1) If I make a change to the amount, the "who owes who" section defaults to splitting equally.

For e.g. If the previous split was "a owes b fully", after editing the amount it becomes of the format "split equally"

2) If I make a change to the description, the icon defaults to the one automatically selected by Splitwise based on description.

For e.g. The description was "AB Juice" and default category "Groceries" changed to category "Dining Out". After editing description to "AB Juice Center", the category changes to "Groceries" from "Dining Out" based on…

4 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! For better of worse, these are both intended behaviors – right now we don’t save how you choose to split things, just the final result of the split, so you should see when you click on the details for split equally, you should see that only one person is assigned any shares.

The categorization based on the description was a fix we included in the most recent version of the iOS app and has been how Android has always worked.

Marshall

• If not everyone in the group owes for the bill, it should be "split equally with # people"

Currently, if I add a bill that's split equally between only some of the people, it still says "split equally". It should be more clear - split equally with x persons.

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Include 'settled up' status updates in the group timeline. e.g. 'user xxxx is settled up as of xx/xx/xxxx'

Sometimes in the group activity, if there are multiple people (for example roommates) paying a single renter in the same house, the list of payments and bills can get pretty confusing. And when cash payments are recorded instead of the in-app payment system, it's not always easy to determine (or prove) that a user was all paid up before the latest bills were added. so if, in the timeline of activity, when a user makes payment in full and is considered 'settled up', it would be nice to have it reflected in that same timeline WITH a date stamp. this…

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey, thanks for the feedback! We do need to do a better of explaining why you owe what you owe. We have some other ideas for explaining where your totals are coming from that should help with this problem, but I’m not sure when they will be available.

• Add privacy options for payments. for eg: if a group contains A, B & C. a split is added between A&B then C shouldnt be able to see it.

this checkbox option can be made optional while adding the bill, the payer can check the checkbox if he feels 'not involved' users need not see the split. this will save unnecessary temporary duplicate groups.

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

Unfortunately, we don’t have plans to support custom privacy settings like this on an expense-by-expense basis, as we think it makes it too complicated to understand who has access to what.

If you’d like to add a single expense that is only visible to the people participating directly in the expense, then you should try adding a “non-group” expense, which does not belong to any particular group. These expenses are only visible to the people involved. Non-group expenses are intended as a way to add expenses and payments with lots of random people, without needing to create a new group every time.

• filter the expenses in the activity tab based group participants....

I want to see expenses done by me since last settlements.

2 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! I don’t think we’re likely to add this kind of feature to the activity tab. We are planning to look at adding more features in groups and friendships to let you search the expenses that should allow you to look for expenses you’ve added since your last settlement if you want.

Marshall

• 1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Home budget

Hi Splitwise Team!
                    first of all, would like to congratulate you for this great app, i love how straight-forward is, its clean design and a very good UX.

I use it for trips and even to divide my life expenses with my girlfriend and housemates... but unfortunately, it falls a bit short to be able to manage my finances more thoroughly.. I've been searching for some time without any luck, for something as good as splitwise to use as my budget management app..
                    I was wondering if are you guys planning to launch / develop something along those lines? where…

2 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We have been considering adding some rudimentary expense tracking/personal budgeting to the app, but I doubt we’ll ever make something as good as Splitwise for budgeting. We’ve spent years learning how people think about splitting money and are still refining our app. I don’t think we can take on the challenge of doing this for budgeting.

Marshall

• Allow people leave the description field empty. Most of time, category is enough. Thanks!

Allow people leave the description field empty. Most of the time, the category is enough. Thanks!

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We’re settled on our current requirements of an amount and a description. The one shortcut that might help you is if you type the name of the category in the description field, the app should automatically update the category for you.

Marshall

• update the label to change the word "owes" when someone has paid for others.

Example: We have a shared expense in a group that was paid by NiceGuy1. He paid $1000 to be split equally among 10 people.

In the details of the expense, one can read "NiceGuy1 paid $1000 and owes $100". This confuses him, because "owes" suggests that NiceGuy1 should pay someone something.

Thanks!

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is the expanded information which is used to indicate that as one of the 10 members of the expense, “NiceGuy1” owes 1/10 of the expense or in this case $100. Since he paid all $1,000 the simpler information displayed before you expand the expense should say that he is owed the outstanding $900 from the members he paid for.

• Release Splitwise under an open-source license

Allowing others to review, modify, and redistribute the source code for this app will engage interested developers to help build, maintain, and improve the software for free. Developing in the open has tremendous benefits for both Splitwise and its users. For developers, we get some stake in the project, which encourages us to use and improve the software. For Splitwise, you get free labor, and a community built around your project that encourages people to write about it, speak about it, and advocate for it. There is really no potential for loss that I can envision in this case. Splitwise…

2 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Confirmation of removal of bills by other party

Guy A adds a expense of $ 100 and splits it equally with his friend Guy B.

Then Guy B deletes this expense saying it did not happen. Guy A does not get any notification and thus when next he logs on splitwise he does not see this change.

Now, such changes by Guy B should be confirmed by Guy A.

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! You should see the deleted items in the Recent activity feed with a highlight if there’s new stuff there. You can also opt-in to email or push notifications from the notification settings for expenses.

Marshall

• Option to Personalize Amounts Formats

for example, add commas, delete cents, etc

2 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! I can see how this would be helpful, but the apps and website are not really built in a way that makes this reasonable to add. At some point we might handle specific currencies differently (and we currently try to respect your country settings for commas vs periods in amounts), but total customization isn’t something we plan to add.

Marshall

• custom tax plan

trying to create a tax plan but couldn't add more brackets. basically I want to create the following brackets

from 10k to 100k, every 10k your tax rate goes up by 1%
                                from 100k to 1m, every 100k your tax rate goes up by 1%
                                from 1m to 10m, every 1m your tax rate goes up by 1%
                                from 10m 10 100m, every 10m your tax rate goes up by 1%
                                from 100m to 1b, every 100m your tax rate goes up by 1%

I want to see how much revenue this would create compared to the current plan.

also…

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! We’re not planning to make any major changes to our tax plan calculator at this point and I don’t think we even have the underlying data to make this kind of calculation in any event. Sorry I don’t have better news!

Marshall

• Fechamento

Boa tarde. Há algum tipo de fechamento(semanal, mensal ou diária) na ferramenta?
                                  Pois isso ajudaria muito. Pois há contas que fecham o mês, e não devem ser continuadas para o mês seguinte.
                                  Obrigado.

2 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Obrigado pela sugestão! O aplicativo foi construído com base no pressuposto de que os saldos rolam ao longo dos limites dia / semana / mês. Se você quiser manter as coisas separadas por períodos de tempo, recomendamos criar grupos separados para cada mês no aplicativo e manter as coisas separadas dessa forma.

Marshall

• Add upgrade possibility from free app

Several friends have asked me how to upgrade their free apps so they can handle currencies. It is hard for app only users to find out that they have to go to the web for this.
                                    Add an upgrade button in the free version.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

So sorry for the trouble! Splitwise Pro is currently a patronage program – it is for people who like to support us and our development, and the small added features are an extra benefit. By far, most users do not need the advanced features that Splitwise Pro users get, so we choose not to advertise it or make it available in the app.

• Track the amount of unequal splits in cents

When the bill is 10 divided among 3, the expense is splitted as 3.33, 3.33 and 3.34 randomly. if i edit the expenses and add a comment, it changes the person paying 3.34. so I would suggest a change in algo that tracks who has paid more cents each time so that in the next expense, he has to pay 1 cent less.

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

We think that over a period of time, choosing a random person every time to assign the extra pennies to leads to a more fair result. If you feel like one of your friends is being assigned pennies more often than others, simply tap edit expense and hit save without changing anything.

• 1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the inconvenience. Splitwise was down for several hours earlier this week due to the Amazon S3 outage that affected many services including Quora, IFTTT, and Trello.

If we ever experience an outage again you can get up to date info via our Twitter page (@splitwise).

• create an app for sharing tasks

First of all: Splitwise is an absolutely amazing application that has saved me, my friends and my flatmates a lot of arguing and discussing. In a shared flat, there is another issue apart from splitting bills and that is splitting household tasks. The problems are actually quite similar, but unfortunately there seems to be no good solution for managing household tasks. The idea would be tasks can be 'voted up', meaning they increase their reward. As soon as someone considers a reward big enough, he does the task and gets the reward points. If a flatmember falls too far back…

7 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We don’t plan to do anything other than make it easier to split expenses. I can see how this would be a useful app, but it’s not one we’re going to have the time to build.

Marshall

• Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base