Skip to content

General

376 results found

1. Splitwise with emojis

nice idea with the emojis but its way too messed up. A better job can be done with this to make it fun. but this is just too shabby and irritating to use.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

The complete emoji translation of the site is just our April Fool’s joke as us going “overboard” after we added emoji support to the app so you can have them in expenses, group names, etc. While there is a clear logic to the selection of emoji and they remain consistent throughout the site, it is not intended to be used long term over your actual language.

2. Customized date range to track the expense

We generally settle our bills around 10th of every month. So, instead of keeping track of expense every month starting from 1st to end of that month, I would like to keep track of my expense with some customized date.
    i.e. let say i customized my month as 10th May - 9th June, 10th June - 9th July and so on..

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately too much of the world keeps track of things on a monthly basis so this feature would not be widely utilized and would more often than not confuse people.

3. Shopping list (checklist)

Hi guys!

We use Splitwise for traveling and household issues.

For our household group we miss a shopping list, where we can write down what we need to buy for our house. This way all members can enter to the list when they are out for shopping and buy the stuff needed.

This feature would incluse a checkbox that can be marked when the product is bought. At the time you mark the checkbox, an "Add new bill" screen could be shown to add the new bill.

We talked about it at home and we would find it very useful…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We do think this is a useful thing for housemates, but we’re planning to keep working on just the splitting side of things for the foreseeable future. We would be open to working with existing shared list apps to work on something like this.

Marshall

4. Subgroups

Can you implement something like subgroups? Suppose we have a flatmates group but want to maintain a history of what all was spent in a particular trip. That will be convenient in a bigger scenario where we have many office colleagues in a group but went on a trip with only few of them. If we want to add multiple bills, this will be convenient.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately, we think this would overcomplicate Splitwise, and we’re not likely to add it in the near future.

For any specific applications such as trips, if you have a subset/different set of people from an existing group, our current recommendation is to create a separate group. Your total balances will each friend will reflect the combined totals from both groups.

5. Shares in itemized bills

Could it be possible to allow split by shares for a single item in itemized bills? Say i want to split the cost of an item 2 times to a person and 1 time to myself.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

While this would definitely be a nice-to-have feature, the use case is very very specific. A simple workaround is to add that specific item as a separate bill.

6. Expenses entered should be deleted/updated only by the person who entered it.

Person who created the expense only should be able to delete/update the expense. What if someone deletes the expense? I see a explanation saying "What if someone inserts an incorrect expense? Then everyone should be able to delete the incorrect expense", in this case the people involved in the expense can settle among themselves and request the person who inserted the expense to delete. But what if someone deletes a correct expense?

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

If someone deletes a correct expense or a group, it is very easy to undelete in one tap from your recent activity feed. (If someone edits an expense incorrectly, the old version is referenced as a comment on the new expense.) We don’t believe administrative control is the best way to keep things friendly.

7. Allow non-monetary debts or IOUs, for example Dinner for Mike; Massage for Carly; Dog walk for Jake

Many groups who use Splitwise are trading in non-monetary favors, gifts, mutual support, and barter. It would be very helpful for my collective house, my friendships, my colleagues, and my romantic relationships if I could track, privately or publicly, when I wanted to return a favor, ask for a favor, or otherwise ensure support was exchanged mutually and reciprocally. Splitwise could be that system, would be my choice for such a system.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We do not plan to add tracking for anything that is not generally considered to be a currency. We’ve seen some other apps in our space add these kinds of features and it turns out to just be a different sort of problem than splitting money. I’m happy you like our app and keeping it awesome means staying focused.

Marshall

8. Change the mascot

Love everythign else, but that drawing of the little guy is weird. :P

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry you don’t like our guy. Unfortunately he’s well loved in the office so we will not be changing our buddy. Did you know that you can upload an avatar which will show up in his place?

9. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, due the way our infrastructure is built, making this kind of change is not something we’re able to do at the moment.

Marshall

10. Payment split

It would be logical, if remainder of the division would go to person, who enters expense. Now it goes randomly

In example: person 1 enters expense 17,47 and splits it on 3 parts. Then person 1 should share 5,83 and other 2 persons 5,82 each. Now this 5,83 can go to anyone :)

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We used to do it that way, but got a lot of complaints because it’s unfair if there’s one person in a group who pays for a lot of expenses. Randomly assigning the extra pennies is the only way to be fair in the long run.

Marshall

11. Improvement in settle up button

Your concept is great. I like everything about your application.
    In current style of your settle up any party can go and settle up the payment. Make it mandatory for both party to recognize the payment. That will be much better. Also add flexibility in payment. include option for payment of amount which is less than actual amount in settle up.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! You can already pay a different amount when making a payment. Just edit the total in the record payment form before saving the payment.

As for payment confirmations, Splitwise actually used to work this way, but we got rid of the confirmation step because people complained that it was too much of a hassle.

Our in-between solution was email notifications. By default, you should get an email any time someone says they have paid you, and then if you wish you can double-check that they have actually given you money. (And if they haven’t, then you can delete the payment from Splitwise or comment on it!) You can also see a full record of changes in your account at any time by going to the “Recent activity” screen.

Hope that makes sense! Let us know if you have questions or concerns.

Marshall

12. Settle up should have Accept or Reject

If someone settles up. It should allow you to accept before the payment is recorded as settled.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion – we’ve tried this approach in the past and found it didn’t work well. If you’d like to reject a payment by someone else, we’ve found it’s just as easy to delete it.

Best,
    Jon

13. group admin

I share expenses with some friends. We divided the big group in some subgroups (for example "dinner out", "gifts" etc) because not all the people participate in all expenses.
    I usually check that everything in right.
    Now i would like to quit a group.
    Is there a possibility that i can still view expenses and modify if needed even if i'm not involved?
    thank you

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

No, sorry. Group administration is a tough feature to build a good experience around and a simple permission system (members of the group can view and delete expenses) is the best way we’ve found to handle things.

Best,
    Jon

14. Backup

Provide an option to create a backup of all entries of all friends and groups at one click in spreadsheet form.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

We don’t plan to bring a more comprehensive CSV export for Splitwise. If you’re looking for a total backup of your account, Splitwise Pro (in your web account settings) has an option to download a complete copy of your data from Splitwise.

15. Allow the owner(the person who has paid the amount) to approve/decline the settlement given by others

Now the application allows anyone in the group to edit the amount, settle the amount even though they haven't paid. There should be an option for the owner who enters bill to approve or decline the changes made by other members, for example, if someone chooses amount settled then the owner has to get an option to approve or decline it. And if other members edit the amount paid , owner should get a notification to approve or decline it. So the person who has paid the amount will have a control over managing expenses.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Splitwise actually used to work this way, but we got rid of the confirmation step because people complained that it was too much of a hassle.

Our in-between solution was email notifications. By default, you should get an email any time someone says they have paid you, and then if you wish you can double-check that they have actually given you money. (And if they haven’t, then you can delete the payment from Splitwise!) You can also see a full record of changes in your account at any time by going to the “Recent activity” screen.

You can also get notifications through email or push notifications for expenses being added, deleted or edited.

Hope that makes sense! Let us know if you have questions or concerns.

16. allow shift workers to use simplify debt feature to simply complex shift trades

I work a shift work job and my co workers and I are always trading shifts back and forth, over the months we lose track of who owes who a shift. If we could log them all into an app that had a simplify debt feature we could tap into "shifts owed" much easier.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! It’s very hard to correctly solve the problem of splitting things that have a currency value and we don’t plan to add anything non-currency as it causes a number of problems in our interface and design. If you want to track shifts like this, I would recommend adding a group and agreeing to use some unusual currency for “expenses” in that group. Then just keep in mind that 1 of that currency means one shift.

This will cause some weird behaviors in the app, but shouldn’t be too bad.

Marshall

17. IOUs to people with out email or phone number

Whilst I understand the rationale of entering email ID / phone number for your friend on splitwise, there are cases where you meet a bunch of friends + one random person. In this case, I am sure to onboard all my friends to splitwise, however because I can't add a person (that I barely know) without email ID, I cannot spit the bill easily. I now need to calculate the bill outside splitwise and create entries per splitwise contact

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

This is a totally reasonable request. We used to support this, but found that is caused a lot more problems than it solved. If you really need to do this, you can add a friend as anything@example.com and it will let you create a dummy account (any prefix at the @example.com suffix will create an account without a real email address).

Marshall

18. Need approval of spender during settlement.

it should need approval from the spender/lender while settling an expense. otherwise, for a huge group comprising of large number of transactions, it's hard to track/validate when some got settled and whether it's authentic.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve actually tried a feature like this in the past, and the overwhelming feedback was that our users wanted us to get rid of it. For the average person, it’s quite a hassle to manually approve every transaction on Splitwise, and it makes the site very difficult to use unless all of your friends are active users.

You can always edit the payment at a later date to add notes that it is confirmed or add comments to the payment to say that you have confirmed it.

Marshall

19. Payment Reminder

You could add option for monthly payment reminder regarding outstanding amount .

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →
  20. Have number as first field, not description

I often times have a number in my head that I'm trying to remember so I'd rather have this field highlight first when I enter an expense. Then description. Otherwise I switch in a panic trying to remember the number ha I have a bad memory

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

So sorry for the trouble! We actually tested this out a lot the last time we redesigned our apps – you’re definitely not the only person who wants to enter the cost first, but we found that most people do want to enter a description before they enter a cost. I don’t think we’re likely to switch the order at this point, as it would probably throw off a lot of our old users. My apologies for the inconvenience!

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base