Skip to content

General

672 results found

1. Add debt shuffling outside of groups

There's an option on BillMonk called "debt shuffle" where an algorithm is run to reduce the number of payments between many friends. This would be a great option to add on Splitwise.

210 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)

This is now live! We call it “simplify debts” rather than “debt shuffle” – check it out at https://secure.splitwise.com/users/simplify_debts. You can find it on your user settings page within the interface.

We designed our debt simplification algorithm to obey three simple rules: (1) everyone owes the same net amount at the end, (2) no one owes a person that they didn’t owe before, and (3) no one owes more money in total than they did before the simplification. It also respect everyone’s privacy by only showing you how your debts have changed.

We’ve tested our algorithm with a variety of cases, but if you think it does a poor job with your data, let us know! Email us at support@splitwise.com and we’ll see if there’s a way to fix it that improves your case.

2. add tooltips for the buttons.

I'm mousing over and having to use the destination URLs to figure out what buttons do! Give me tooltips! Also, I can't figure out how to add a recurring expense...

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Refer to Billmonk.com once..

This seems useful. However billmonk.com has implemented loads of additional features that can be very helpful to this site. Like,

Adding bills between 3 or more friends without creating a group. etc...

Everyone I know (100s of people) uses billmonk. But cause of the site not properly maintained, I am looking for replacement. Try to provide more features and will definitely use this one. Thanks. Keep up.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →
  4. Default currency

Give the user the ability to select a default currency. I'm in the UK, so nearly all of my transactions are going to be in GBP (£). It would be really helpful if all my transactions were in £ by default.

29 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We now have this available to our users! To do this go into your user settings and select the default currency you’d like your relationships to have. Setting this will automatically populate the currency that is set when creating that relationship.

5. Show the current status in clear and bold in dashboard

Instead of/In addition to the bar showing debt/loans. Could you also show the actual dollar amount - may be rounded up for beautification in big letters.
    I think a service like this really has the imperative of showing you your bottomline

I find it hard to interpret the bar - I owe some, is it 10$, 100$ or $10000?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. provide an overall view of the bills (people i owe and people who owe me)

what im describing is like a Dashboard where I can see how much I owe people and how much they owe me...

This is similar to billmonk's "Home" page view.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow us to choose how people are sorted

The groups on the left tab-like interface can be chosen to see their bills etc. But once you click on some group and make a change, they move to the top. This confuses me once I need to go to the next group and their spot has changed to another spot. Can you allow us to choose if we want those groups to be static or move according to last edited? Thanks.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Split an expense with multiple friends, without creating a group

Great site! Moved from billmonk. The only reason most of my friends won't move from billmonk is the ability to add multiple people to a single bill/transaction without creating a group. Would be awesome if you guys can add it!

102 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Skeumorphic Design

I think the new design tries to incorporate too many skeumorphic attributes. Skeumorphic defined as un-natural flourishings added to a version of a product that were present in a state when these flourishings were necessary.

For one, in the payment dialog, the window is made much larger through the addition of the unnecessary credit card image on top. A smaller window would allow for users to see data beneath.

Flourishes like this are tasteless design and actually hamper usefulness.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

I think we’ve largely addressed this issue. I can’t tell if we’ve actually completed this because it’s pretty general. If you have specific complaints, please let us know!

Marshall

10. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. allow combing fb and email logsins

I first signed up with email, joined a group, used splitwise etc etc. Then on a new computer I signed in with fb (because I forgot which way I did it before). Now it's stuck on the "new user setup" stuff and I can't log out.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We do allow users to use both, but combining can get a bit tricky if you didn’t set it up with your first login. Submit a ticket here or email support@splitwise.com directly and we will combine your accounts. (we’d rather not have you post your personal details up here in the public forum).

Marshall

12. Link to Venmo!

This website is fantastic! One suggestion to perhaps close the "Payment" loop: Our group pays eachother using the Venmo peer-to-peer payment system. One feature of Venmo is that I can send "payment request" to my friends, and they will just "approve" the charge (at which point, I get paid). It would be great if there was a simple system within splitwise (say, a one-click button) that would send out venmo bills to group members when I try to reconcile my splitwise expenses. Also, it could automatically record the payments within splitwise, thus automatically tracking who had paid me back.

123 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Venmo is now available on all the official Splitwise apps (web, iPhone, and Android)! Please note that this feature is restricted to users inside the US, and that you will need the Venmo app installed on your mobile device in order to make Venmo payments through the Splitwise mobile app.

13. Contacts list organization

Show the people who owe me money at the top of the list and probably group them- owes me, I owe and settled up , like it works in the splitwise iphone app. Also, provide scroll to browse through the lsit of friends.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  14. Group versus Relationship Functionality

I don't like how you can have an individual relationship with Person A, but then also have Person A in Group 1, especially if it does not automatically show the relation b/w the Person within the Group and the individual relationship.

E.g. I live in an apt with 4 people (Group 1 = Person A, B, C, D)
    - Group 1 splits a $60 bill evenly (paid by Person A)
    - Person B loans Person A $40
    - Person B owes Person C $10

In essence, if you have am individual relation with each of the people within the group,…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Groups still do not show more general balances, but your friendship balance will include all balances from groups. We also settle up all groups and the friendship if you settle up completely with a friend.

Marshall

15. global summary for specific friends

If I have a friend that is part of multiple groups and owes me money in each group. It would be great to see a grand total debt for a specific friend and allow a payment to cover multiple groups (auto split).
    for right now I have to go into each group and manually add debts

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve updated the friends page on the web to show a global summary. You can also simplify debts from the gear next to your friends name on that page in the web to consolidate all debts into your friendship, and then add a payment to settle up that amount.

Marshall

16. make it easier to change the category of an expense.

Often an expense is categorized as 'General' when it cannot automatically be identified. I suggest you add the ability to change the category directly from the main page of expenses (perhaps a drop-down menu next to the expense) instead of needing to click on each expense and then clicking 'edit expense'.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can now change the expense category icon without having to edit the expense! Just click on the icon in the group page and the other service icons should appear right below the expense.

17. Print Expense Statements/Reports

I think a really great feature would be the ability to print statements or reports. For example in my case I manage expenses for our whole house. A couple of people in my house are not necessarily tech savvy and some of them just are too lazy to log on to splitwise. If I could print out a report for the week, month, or year, kind of like an invoice sort of thing and just stick it on their door it would be really helpful. I also think this would be great for backing up information because lets face it.…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Printable statements should be available on the right side of the month header in a group or friendship. Please let us know if you have any trouble with them.

Marshall

18. Be notified in more than one way

Set it up that everyone can have at least 2 ways to be contacted. ie email and or cell phone/txt. And you can do notification icons on your app, that way it tells the person they have a new message and to open the app.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →
  19. Input tip as dollar amount on itemized expenses.s

For those of us that just eyeball the tip it would be nice to not have to hand calculate the percent. Great product otherwise.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  20. Show all expenses between friends

Kindly provide a screen for Summary of all expenses or in the home screen.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base