General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Add an option to filter out expenses/payments by user

It would be a nice feature to allow viewing only expenses and payments related to any particular user if required

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve added this feature in the web redesign! Click “other actions”, then “hide items not involving me” to see only the transactions that involve you.

(We haven’t decided yet whether to allow you to see only the expenses that involve some /other/ user besides yourself. If that’s a feature you’d like to see, let us know!)

• Specify items on expenses

Hello, I have been using this amazing tool for almost a year, and I've got some suggestions that might be useful:

1 - Be able to specify which items where in the expense for more clarity, and also optionally the expense group for the items, for expenses with items that belongs to different groups.

2 - The user should be able to create customized expense groups.

3 - I use SW with a friend, but not every expense is shared, so we give eachother the receipts so we can remove what we don't want to go to the site as…

11 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m not sure we did these all in the way you requests, but we do have features that solve this in the app.

1. You can add itemized expenses, though only from the web (we are unlikely to bring this to mobile)

2. You can create groups, though I’m not sure this solves things that way that you want.

3. You can now comment on expenses, so disputes can be resolved in the expense itself.

Marshall

• Offline mode for mobile

Quite disappointed when I found out your app does not work offline.

77 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          12 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

NOTE: if you are upset that iPhone or Android offline mode does not work in the way that you want, please vote for or add a new idea about your specific issue. I suspect this issue covers most problems related to this idea now: http://feedback.splitwise.com/forums/162446-general/suggestions/9786933-improve-offline-mode-in-iphone-app

It’s much easier for us to figure out what work is important to do next if we have votes for specific problems.

Our iPhone and Android apps now both include offline mode. Offline allows you to add and remove expenses with existing friends and groups, even when you don’t have an internet connection. Any changes you make will be synced later, when you have an internet connection again.

• Create a group 'messageboard' for your web app

I absolutely love your site, it is beyond useful. What would be great for the web app is if it were possible for group members to have a place to discuss charges or a to do list or even schedule events. Nothing too in-depth, just something that allows users to communicate and keep a record of it.

4 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Why being bound to groups?

Thanks for the great site!, could you please remove the need for groups so that I can record debts between me and a specific friend without the need of adding him to a group?

Thank you!

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • email individual on bill share

I can't able to track all the bill's shared by my friend. Everytime I need to come to splitwise webpage to see the bill's. You could add a option on the setting page about send email for each bill shared in the group. Some people like this, some may not. I prefer to receive email on each addition of new bills.

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • List more transactions per page

It would be great to have up to 50 or so transactions per page. It stinks when the transactions in a month wrap to the next page. Or list the pages per month instead of just by page. Great app though. We use this website A LOT! Thanks for all of your work.

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Have a drop-down calendar for selecting dates

When selecting a date for an expense, you should be able to select from a calendar rather than typing in a full date.

2 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Split an expense equally with individual $ or % adjustment

Use-Case: Utility Bills where in 99.9% of the time it is split equally, except in the case of individual-specific overage charges.

I would like to be able to set the bill to split equally, then add/subtract either a finite $ amount or a % to one person, and then (here's the important part) see the amount the other people owe automatically adjust to still be split equally (amongst the remaining parties) such that the leftover amount is brought back down to $0.00 automatically.

A competing service has this feature and it is very useful to not have to compute manually…

9 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Add a "notes" field to expenses for more details

Each purchase needs a description field

6 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • 1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Limit or track past edits

One thing that I have been meaning to suggest is to track latest edits somewhere. Currently, anybody in a group is able to go back to several months before and add expenses. It can be difficult to find where the change was made, and if a person is dishonest about it, it can be very difficult to pinpoint exactly where things went wrong. We discovered this problem in our apartment quite early on, and made rules about it, and thankfully none of us are dishonest :)
                          But I was thinking that it might be beneficial/helpful to either limit how far…

12 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

There is now a recent activity feed and more notifications you can get that will show you changes in your accounts. Expenses also get detailed notes on changes when they are updated so you can be sure you know what’s different.

Marshall

• Attach a file (an image, PDF, etc.) to a bill

Our household is paperless and we scan every bill and receipt. It would be awesome if we could attach a scan of the receipt to the bill.

42 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Attachments are now supported on all of our platforms: web, iPhone, and Android. When adding a bill, just click the button that says “Add an image” (web) or the button that looks like a camera (iPhone and Android).

• Split bills by percentage

Users should be able to enter percentages for expenses (i.e. Alice owes 40%, Bob owes 60%) rather than exact amounts.

10 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve added better support for splitting bills by percentage in the redesigned web interface – just add a bill and choose “Split the cost unequally”. We hope to bring this feature to our mobile apps soon.

• 3 Things

1) Add the ability to split bills by percentage. I hate doing math.
                                2) Require members to aprove expenses. My roommate adds groceries and splits it without permission. Screw that.
                                3) Add opt in expenses. Like if someone buys food and puts it out in the apartment. I should have the option to join into a split. Get it?
                                - You better read this. Or I may build my own splitwise.

[NOTE: Edited for language. -RL]

2 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Joey,

I’ve split your suggestion into three parts, so that other users can find them more easily and vote on them individually. Here are the links, with quick reponses underneath:

1: http://splitwise.uservoice.com/forums/162446-general/suggestions/2862672-split-bills-by-percentage
                                  You can actually split by percentage already, though it’s not documented. In the “add expense” pop-up, just enter percentages instead of exact amounts for the total that each person owes. Splitwise will divvy up the cost accordingly. (We’re working on a better, clearer way to do this, too.)

2: http://splitwise.uservoice.com/forums/162446-general/suggestions/2862679-require-users-to-approve-expenses-they-are-involve
                                  We’ve considered this before and decided against it, but we will be adding two other features that accomplish many of the same things: (1) the ability to receive an email every time an expense is added, and (2) a “dashboard” that shows you the most recent changes to your apartment.

3: http://splitwise.uservoice.com/forums/162446-general/suggestions/2862702-allow-users-to-opt-in-to-expenses
                                  This is an interesting idea! We’re already planning to add some features that will make…

• Add optional email notifications for new expenses

Can you add an option to subscribe for an email option whenever an expense is added?
                                  If one of the room mates add an expense in an old date, there is no way i am going to know about it except if i am keeping close watch on my balance.

8 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Done! To turn on notifications for new expenses, go into your user settings (at the top right of the screen, click your name and then “My account”). Under “Notifications”, click the checkbox next to “When a new expense is added”. You’ll receive an email whenever someone else adds an expense that involves you.

We’re also working on notifications for any time an expense is updated, but for technical reasons those probably won’t happen for another month or two. If that sounds like something you’re interested in, let us know!

1 2 28 29 30 32 Next →
                                  • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base