General

1. Personal expenditure chart

I love the monthly expenditure pie chart idea. But currently I can only see the break-up of my expenses when I click on a friend, and it only shows me the break up of the expenses I have in common with that particular friend. It would be useful if I could view the monthly break-up of my expenses independent of the friends (maybe a link through my dashboard). It would be even more awesome If I could sort the table below the chart by the amount, to better understand where I am spending more.

111 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Option to track our monthly expenditure

At present, only the money owed is being tracked. It would be great if we could enter our personal expenditures too and also have the total expenditure number for each month.

Provide some comparison charts for each group, comparing the expenditure of current month with the previous etc.

Its highly probable that many of the users who use splitwise and similar sites to track the splitting, also use some other sites to track their own expenditures. So why not bring both together under one roof! :)

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are currently in the process of evaluating different types of expenses and relationships with those expenses. Tracking personal expenses is something we’ve discussed and want, we just need to figure out where it fits on the schedule.

3. Drag and Drop

Ability to drag and drop people from the friend list to the group. Drag a friend's name to a dedicated area to start creation of a shared bill/loan/debt. Also have the ability to drag and drop more friends to the bill being created

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a great idea, we’re going to be taking a look how how to integrate our friendships and groups better next week. We’ve usually gone the pull down tab method, but I think the idea of dragging and dropping would be really neat too!

4. Expense/Payment list filters

Provide the option to select individual members, multiple members, specific expense types (grogeries, bills, payments, ect).

Also, alowing for collapse/expand of individual months in the list would be a nice feature to clean things up.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is an idea that I think would be a great addition to the site. I’m not sure when we could fit it in our schedule, but it’s something I think would be a useful way to organize expenses.

5. make tip post tax

Currently the tip calculates the percentage of the bill pre-tax. Typically, you'll tip off of the total supplied on the receipt which is post-tax.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As a former waitress that hated getting my tip based on the pre-tax amount I think this is a great idea!

We’ll talk about how to possibly implement both options (pre and post tax) in our our next meeting.

6. Allow Facebook logins from the Android app

I've found that I can connect with Facebook on the website, but not through my Android phone. Consistency is king.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Vinod,

We apologize for this, but we haven’t had time to include Facebook login on iPhone or Android yet. The reason why it’s been such a low priority is that Facebook login has not been especially popular users thus far and doesn’t add a lot of functionality.

We don’t have any plans to add facebook login on the phones soon, but you can work-around this issue by “resetting your password” on the website, and typing in the email address of the email associated with that facebook account.

I’m sorry we’re so quickly breaking support for a feature. My apologies, and let me know if you need any more assistance!

Jon

7. Add more settlement alternatives, e.g. if someone is away

Sometimes a group member is away, this makes settlement as suggested complicated.
    We need more settlement possibilities. Especially it would be great to see a recap of who owes what to whom, BEFORE aggregating the amounts.
    This would be a basic settlement option that one can use to quickly see who owes what to whom, without trying to make any offset between members. This way if one member defaults/leave without paying what it owes, it can be removed from the equation and the settlement view is still usable.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Having multiple ways to calculate who’s owes who what within a group is an interesting idea. I could see this being extra convenient for this reason -and many others. I’ll bring it up with the team and we’ll see where this can fit into our schedule.

8. Post a bill only once the posted date for the bill has arrived

When I enter a date for a bill, I want it such that the totals are updated only once the bill date has arrived. Like for example if my friend before posting the bill owed me $0. Now if I post a shared bill for say $50 and I have kept its date as 5 days in the future. I want the app to reflect that my friend owes me $25 5 days in the future, not immediately. Right now, the way the app works is that, it would have reflected that my friend owes me $ 25 right now.

333 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    48 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Updating this because it’s been a while! We still haven’t added this to our roadmap.
    As we mentioned we’ve found in testing that this behavior ends up confusing people, which is why we’ve chosen not to add it so far.

We’ll continue to leave this under review for further voting and comments.

9. Expenses Report

In the PDF report, we have date,description,cost & balance columns in individual member's page.It will be gr8 if you add column "Expenses By" which should contain name of person who has spent money on this transaction.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. have a car pool calculator

a car pool calculator where you can enter the amount and date you purchased fuel for the car, the calculator would split the bill according to the dates and number of people car pooling with you... that would be a very nice feature to add.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve discussed this kind of calculator internally a couple of times and haven’t yet figured out how costs should be broken down in a fair way. This would be nice to have, but I doubt we’ll have time to work on this in the near future. We’re a small team, so picking priorities is important :)

11. 87 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The Facebook invite system has changed a lot over the years, and it makes it hard for users to receive updates, notifications, etc. Also, many users do not like getting invites through Facebook.

We are still open to doing this, and we’ll leave it under review for further voting or commentary. For now, we recommend you send invites via email or SMS.

12. Keep the details of the deleted bill intact.

I would suggest to keep the details of the deleted bill intact even if it is deleted. Allow viewing of the deleted bill in detail from dashboard instead of just showing a message in the event list that the bill was deleted. This will permit viewing of any bill that has been deleted by mistake and any unauthorised delete can be detected.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

If you look at a deleted bill in the Android and iPhone app from the recent activity feed, you can see the details of the bill and undelete it if you want.

Marshall

13. Add how much is owed to the complex.

When you have a bill, unless it's already paid, you can't enter the amounts. It errors if the amounts paid don't equal the amount due even if it is a future bill.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Show how bills are settled using a cool visual aid.

This idea came from a bout of minor confusion I had when looking at the results of the "settle up" function. I was surprised to see that despite knowing that I owed various people money, the result I saw on screen was that I actually just owed one person. After some chin scratching, I realized that of course the bills were being aggregated together so as to minimize the number of payments needed to settle up. That being said, I'm not sure that everyone who uses this service will reach that conclusion, especially if they've had a long day at…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Recently we’ve been thinking a lot about this exact problem. The “settle up” function is great once you understand what it does, but it confuses a lot of first-time users. We’re working to improve communication about this, including via visual aids – you should see some of those updates over the next few weeks :)

15. Jump to Month

Please add a list or quick way of viewing all expenses in one month (of x year) on one page. The new feature to load all expenses is great but sometimes you just want to see whether you've added an expense quickly.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Fix recurring item edits

Recurring items should have a start date and an end date. When My apartment lease came to an end, I had to "delete" the expense, which actually ended up deleting the last time it occurred, rather than all the future occurrences! Not intuitive behavior, and it was not clear that would happen.
    Thanks

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’re working on the messaging of how our expenses (especially ones like recurring bills) work as we speak.

This does sound like something that we need to address for sure. Thanks so much for letting us know!

17. Have total bill payment

Im still a little confused. So im not sure if this is already possible or if this is my idea. But when it comes to utilities all parties need to pay. At the beginning no one has "paid" it and all i nthe group needs to be notified. Once everyone has made their payment to the person responsible then it can show who owes who. can you add a "pay self" option or "pay bill" maybe. it was hard to set up rent payment because it looked like i already paid it and my roommates still owed.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve had a few requests for this feature and we have discussed different ways to make this work. While we haven’t discounted the “future” payment style, it’s going to be a little bit before we can get to it.

18. Pull utility infor from company

In a roommate situation it can be helpful if this site would pull the our bill payment and due date from the utility company itself and send reminders. This way all roommates have the same info will no worries that another roommate jsut made up something. And this can be kept on file in the groups folder if anyone has a dispute. Example of someone that does this already is paydivvy.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are in the process of trying to integrate Splitwise more with all types of billing and expenses.

This seems like a natural addition to some of the ways we’re trying to get Splitwise involved in bill integration.

19. Download attachments for groups

A smart idea is to included an upload or download feature to groups. This way in differetn groups you can add pictures, receipts, leasing agreements, roommate agreements, etc.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Show one to one amounts on the home page

Instead os showing the total amount each person owes or gets back, it would be more useful if its shown on a one to one manner. For eg, I would like to know how much I owe A, B and C and how much D, E and F owes me. Currently it shows the total amount I get back but does not show how much from whom.... Pleas let me know I am missing something.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Traditionally we’ve gone the “running bartab” method, but we’ve gotten a lot of feedback stating that people want a more granular way to break down their expenses.

We’re in the process of figuring out the best possible way to make both types of expense tracking possible, and this will be added to the list of things talk about.

• Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base