General

1. Ability to input multiple items into an expense.

When picking out items from a grocery list receipt, it's not feasible to input each item as separate expense. I an forced to sum all applicable items from my receipt outside if split wise and then input the total into the expense. It would be nice if I could add subitems into an expense which will calculate the the total for me automatically.

It would be even nicer if you could optionally name the subitems in order to remember what they are.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have itemized bill on the website which accomplishes this. The interface is a little too complex for us to be able to bring this to mobile anytime soon.

Marshall

2. Triangle payment can be dispelled itself.

The situation is below. I was owed A $2, A was owed B 2$, B was owned me $2. So the $2 dollar shouldn't be calculated in my owe or owed number. By the way, I'm thinking of making a similar web like this. But I find this one is good. I'd like to contribute anything I can. Below is my mail.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If you’re in a group, you can go to group settings and turn on Simplify debts which will do this. If you’re not in a group, you will need to go to your account settings on the website and simplify debts outside of groups from there.

Marshall

3. Splitwise in spanish?

It could be possible?

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Currency conversion in the app

As a pro subscriber I'd like to be able to do the currency conversion in the app not just on the web version

70 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Currency Conversion is available as a Pro feature on all platforms!

You can convert the currency of expenses in a group or friendship to your default currency via the menu in the header of a groups or friendships in both our Android and iOS apps.

If you’d like to convert expenses to a different currency you can do so by (temporarily) changing your default currency from your Account Settings page.

7. add expense categories related to children

There aren't any categories related to children, and yet I would imagine sharing household and childcare expenses is a major use case. I would like to see categories like "daycare", "toys", "children's activities" etc

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow us to pay back expenses individually for a person

When I have an expense from someone that's like "$1000 rent" and then "$10 food", I would be able to pay the food first and then rent later. But splitwise only allows me to pay of the $1100 at once, without separate payments.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the confusion, but good news: you can record a partial repayment.

Click ‘settle up’. We pre-fill the payment field with your total balance, but you are welcome to edit it before saving to reflect that you repaid a different amount.

Cheers, Zoe

9. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Reallocate payments upon settling up to minimize transfers between group members

While i love splitwise, when a group is large, the total number of payments needed to settle up becomes unmanageable. We had 13 people in the group and settling up required each person to make payment to or get payment from the other 12 people, resulting in 144 total transfers. In some cases, the amount was less than $1. Instead, if Person A owes Person B and Person B owes Person C, Splitwise should have Person A pay Person C directly as opposed to having two separate payments. This would make the app exponentially better!

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

So sorry for the trouble – we actually do this already! If you go into your group’s settings and turn on the “simplify debts” option, we’ll automatically reallocate payments to reduce the total number of payments necessary. Hope that helps!

11. Override All Currencies

It would be very handy for new Splitwise users (such as myself) to have a feature that would update all existing expenses to use a particular currency as chosen by the user.

In our shared group, we have a mixture of AUD and USD as some users forget to change their preferences to AUD. It would take a long time to go through each individual expense and change it to AUD.

Do you think this might be possible?

Thanks!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There’s actually a setting for this already! Just log in to our website and go to your account settings page – under “advanced features”, you should see an option to “set all expenses to [your default currency]”. Hope that helps!

12. multicurrency

nice but I prefer not to override the original value.
    By the way, Splitwise is great!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. back up of our spent money

is there any way that we can have back up of our spent money periodically or optionally when we need..?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can do this from our web interface – just view a group or friend and click the “settings/gear” icon in the upper-right of the right-side column. In the menu that appears, click “Export as spreadsheet” to download a .csv file with all your expenses.

We also have a “download full backup” for Splitwise Pro users under advanced features in account settings. This includes all data for the account, but is in JSON format.

Marshall

15. 0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Access to Google and FB contacts

I love what you've created! I've been looking for something like this for years, literally - including crafting my own simple application for similar purposes (other apps didn't have "multiple people paid" options etc.). Your app is something that finally meets all my expectations. Keep up the good work!

The only thing that annoys me is that I don't get auto-suggestions when entering my friends' emails. Sync with GMail and Facebook contacts would be great!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If you go to your account settings on web, you can connect your Google account to your Splitwise account and we will pull contacts for inviting friends from there. We do not currently plan to support Facebook friends at this time.

Marshall

17. Two dates. 'Added on' and 'last updated on'

If a transaction is updated with changes, the 'last updated' date is shown and the 'added on' date is just not seen anywhere.

If I want to know when a particular transaction was added I just don't know when it was added if that transaction has been edited. That's a problem.

I feel the two dates provide two different types of information.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Currency Option

Select the default currency of the user on the basis of his location. Get it from google or ask them in the sign up form. Or use location based.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update: both mobile apps now guess your currency during sign up based on your locale settings and allow you to change it.

Sorry for the trouble! We do ask for your default currency during sign up, but we don’t yet auto-detect your currency based on your location, which would be a great improvement. Hopefully that’s something we can include in future updates!

19. Sort friends tab

Make it possible to sort the friends tab so you get friends with own/owned amounts at the top

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update: both mobile apps now have filters at the top of the friends/groups list that allow you to only show people who owe you or people you owe.

Thanks for the suggestion – I can see how this would be useful! Right now, you should be able to do this on the dashboard page of our website, but unfortunately there’s no way to do it in our mobile apps yet. Apologies for the inconvenience!

20. Add back "Quick add" for expenses

One of my favorite features that I'm sorely missing from the new app. It's saved me so much time over the years.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Quick-add still exists! Just tap-and-hold on the plus button at the bottom of the screen, and you should be able to quick-add new expenses and payments. Hope that helps!

1 2 5 7 9 32 33
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base