Skip to content

General

376 results found

1. Making certain expenses be private or invisible for people within groups

We are a group of friends that share expenses on parties and presents. Not seeing items not involved in would make it possible to handle presents in SplitWise and thus migrating our data to here...

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We’ve committed to keeping all expenses visible in groups so any member can do the math themselves and add up the amounts. If you really want a private expense, add it outside the group.

Marshall

2. Add an option to forgive all or a specific amount owed

Would you consider adding an option to forgive under Settle Up > Choose Payment Method?

After clicking "Forgive" a user could then choose an amount to forgive or to forgive the entire existing balance owed by the debtor in context.

In my case, sometimes a bill doesn't divide evenly, other times people may repay me the amount owed but miss by one cent. in both cases I end up with stray balances of $0.01 (owed to me). It would be nice if I could simply forgive said balances instead of having to adjust the bill or the amount that was…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Edit Simplify Debt partners

Lets say in a group, X owes me 200$ , Y owes me 200$ and I owe 200$ to Z. The total i get back is 200$. Lets say simplify debts considering several other transactions shows that X should pay 200$ to me. But i'd prefer taking it from Y as we are close friends and im not comfortable dealing with X. My suggestion is to Allow me to choose who pays me and likewise everyone does and overall the comfort of the transactions increases.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey there! We don’t currently plan to add an actual feature for this, but “simplify debts” is smart enough to adjust if you decide to pay someone different. For example, if Splitwise says you should pay person X but you decide to pay person Y instead, then your group’s debts will automatically be recalculated and adjusted to include your new payment. Hope that helps!

4. option to verify and approve the expense under a group for group moderator

option to verify and approve the expense under a group for group moderator

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Sorry, but we don’t have any plans to add expense approval or group moderators at this time. We’ve actually tried approval for payments in the past, and found that it didn’t work well for most of our users. Apologies for the inconvenience!

5. Settle up in group

I think it would be great if, at some point in the month, maybe the end, you could just click a button to settle everyone up - aka everyone goes back to zero.

Sometimes my roommates and I decided we're all settled up and don't want to go about putting who paid who and deal with change and what not.

It would be great to just decide, "we're settled up" so that every thing went back to zero and the non-simplified version of debts could restart from scratch.

Current method for settle up in group is difficult, bcoz we have…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I can see the utility of this, but I don’t see how to implement this without either

- adding fake payment records
    - just plain deleting old data

Neither of these feel acceptable to me.

Your current balance in a group is calculated as a sum of all your balances from previous expenses.

For your use case, if you’d like to wipe the slate, I’d recommending creating a new group with the same name and renaming the older group to something like _old.

6. Payment Reminder

You could add option for monthly payment reminder regarding outstanding amount .

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow non-monetary debts or IOUs, for example Dinner for Mike; Massage for Carly; Dog walk for Jake

Many groups who use Splitwise are trading in non-monetary favors, gifts, mutual support, and barter. It would be very helpful for my collective house, my friendships, my colleagues, and my romantic relationships if I could track, privately or publicly, when I wanted to return a favor, ask for a favor, or otherwise ensure support was exchanged mutually and reciprocally. Splitwise could be that system, would be my choice for such a system.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We do not plan to add tracking for anything that is not generally considered to be a currency. We’ve seen some other apps in our space add these kinds of features and it turns out to just be a different sort of problem than splitting money. I’m happy you like our app and keeping it awesome means staying focused.

Marshall

8. There is no way to clear whole account.

Let say our group want to delete old expenses. They don't even want it to see in activities then every time we need to do the delete account. May be you can provide a clear all button.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for asking, but I’m going to have to decline your request.

If you want to delete a group, that will delete the associated expenses and you can start over. But if you want to clear your whole account including recent activity, you should probably delete your account from the user settings page and start over with a new account at the same email address.

The reason why I’m declining is that “fully clearing” an account including recent activity violates the Splitwise principle of group transparency / undo-ability (we aspire to be like Wikipedia in this way). What if someone cleared everything permanently by accident and completely destroyed your record of what happened? We can’t allow that to happen because everyone is entitled to a list of who did what, even if that is deletion.

I hope this work-around helps, and I’m sorry I can’t be more helpful. There…

9. Allow Generalized/Anonymous Reminders

It would be more tactful in some situations if Splitwise could send general reminders to those who haven't settled up after a few days have gone by. Or at least permit users to request the app to send a reminder of an outstanding balance without identifying the person who requested the reminder. For example:

"Hey username, don't forget to settle up your balances! You currently owe $###"

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We do have a monthly summary that goes over balances with everyone and acts as an automated reminder. We also have pre-written reminders you can send to specific people if you want to ask them to settle up.

We don’t plan to add anonymous reminders. It’s a feature that would be very difficult to build in a way that would not be open to a lot of abuse. What we might add at some point is a more general whole group reminder where you can send a reminder to the entire group that there are balances that need to be settled up. Hopefully this will help make it easier to talk about settling up in a way that feels comfortable for everyone.

Marshalll

10. borrowing books and other things

Is it possible to implement tracking for things that I lend out( like books, tools, etc.)? Also, some of these borrowers may not be on splitwise. I just want a tracking for myself.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Keep the old "add a bill" design

It takes much longer to add an expense if the bill is not split...if one person is covering another person entirely, it takes too long to add.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  12. Provide an option to merge expenses across groups

Hi,

If I am sharing expenses with few friends in one group, and all of us are part of another bigger group too, then there should be an option to transfer the balances from the smaller group to bigger group and closing the smaller group.

Best,

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

If one group is a subset of a bigger group, and you feel comfortable letting the larger group see the smaller group’s expenses/balances, you can move the expenses into the larger group by clicking “edit” on each expense and then changing the group it is filed under. This will move each expense one by one into the larger group.

Unfortunately, we don’t have an automated way to do this right now, but we’ll keep that in mind as a possible improvement for the future. In the meantime, our apologies for the inconvenience!

13. Deleting past settled expenses

Add a feature to allow users to delete past settled accounts without affecting the accounts of the other users involved in the transaction

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  14. Add popular banking/wallet links

Redirect to banking/wallet When you hit settleup . Else THE BEST one would be have your own wallet.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We do look at adding new payment integrations when they’re popular and have support for our kind of use. I’m declining this because we have a number of open feature requests for specific payment integrations. Please go vote for or comment on the specific integrations you would be interested in using!

Marshall

15. away / vacation mode

I'd like a feature where you could enter the start and end date some member temporarily leaves a group (e.g. if said member is on vacation etc.). By default all expenses would be split between the remaining members during that time period.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! I can definitely see how this would be useful, but unfortunately it would also add a fair bit of complexity to how managing group members works, and it seems likely to confuse other group members. (For example, say you temporarily excluded some people from expenses, but then another user logged in to add an expense, expecting that it would be split among all group members.)

For now, your best bet in this scenario is to actually remove those temporary people from your group, and then add them back again when they come back. While they’re gone, they won’t be able to access the group, but as soon as you re-add them they should have full access to everything, including any expenses from before they left. I realize that’s not a perfect solution, but I hope it helps!

16. ONly the owner of the expense should be allowed to edit but not everyone . I was able to delete the data entered by others

ONly the owner of the expense should be allowed to edit but not everyone . I was able to delete the data entered by others

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

At least for now, Splitwise’s policy is that anyone involved in a bill has the power to view, edit, or delete it. We realize this can make things difficult if two users disagree on a bill – but even if editing was disallowed, those two users could still just add more expenses to change things to their liking.

We think it’s more important for users to be able to correct actual mistakes, and allowing editing by any involved user makes this much simpler for the majority of our users. Sorry for any inconvenience!

17. Expenses entered should be deleted/updated only by the person who entered it.

Person who created the expense only should be able to delete/update the expense. What if someone deletes the expense? I see a explanation saying "What if someone inserts an incorrect expense? Then everyone should be able to delete the incorrect expense", in this case the people involved in the expense can settle among themselves and request the person who inserted the expense to delete. But what if someone deletes a correct expense?

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

If someone deletes a correct expense or a group, it is very easy to undelete in one tap from your recent activity feed. (If someone edits an expense incorrectly, the old version is referenced as a comment on the new expense.) We don’t believe administrative control is the best way to keep things friendly.

18. Keep track of debt w/o inviting friend

I'd like the ability to keep track of debts without inviting the other person. Examples of this would be me borrowing money from say my grandparents (who don't even have a computer). This would be useful as I could then have a broad overview of both money owed to me and money I owe on my dashboard and I'd be able to have a "record" of payments.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Barrett – we do allow this in groups, but we’ve decided not to allow it in friendships. Friend invites are a core part of how we grow as a site, so for better or for worse an email address is required. Sorry! Thanks for the suggestion, and let us know if you have any other thoughts or suggestions.

19. Use historical exchange rate data (via google or forex api perhaps) per date for currency conversion

Instead of using the current financial exchange rate for all currency conversion, couldn't you query the historical rate at which a transaction date has been set in Splitwise, in order to convert each Splitwise transaction according to its historical exchange rate?

Fluctuating exchange rates for long outstanding groups (e.g. vacations with multi-country/multi-currency roadtrips) force me to use Excel/Spreadsheets to do currency conversion with historically accurate exchange rates. Not having this feature either means paying a sum of settlement that either does not reflect the historical price payed, or forces me to use another program for currency conversion.

Would be nice…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! I definitely see how this makes sense, but we’re unlikely to add historical exchange rates as a feature in the near future.

There are a lot of edge cases like this in currency conversion – for example, if we did implement historical rates, should we use the rate from the day that the expense was added, or the rate from the day that the expense is dated? However, most people aren’t looking for that level of detail, and we think it’s important to keep Splitwise simple as much as possible. That’s why we show the current exchange rate, and then convert all expenses at that rate. It makes currency conversion easier to understand, and we actually found that it’s what most people expect to happen anyway :)

If you’d like a more precise conversion on an expense-by-expense basis, your best bet is probably to export to…

20. allow for "secret" expenses in a group.

Dear Splitwise team,
    first of all thanks for a great application! It would be even more awesome if it supported the following use case:
    I frequently run into situations where in a group of people, we want to share the cost of a present for one of the group members among the rest. It would be awesome to use the existing Splitwise group, but of course we don't want the person who got the present to know how much we paid.
    Or is there a convenient way to take care of this that I have not discovered yet? As far…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve decided not to do this. If an expense is in a group, every member should be able to see it. Once you can’t see all of the expenses, it’s impossible to verify that the totals are correct and we’re not willing to break this.

Marshall

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base