General

1. Google Assistant integration

It would be nice to have a Google Assistant integration for Splitwise, so that I don't have to pull out my phone to add an item to Splitwise and could talk to my Google Home instead.

E.g.
    Hey Google, talk to Splitwise.
    > How can I help you?
    I have bought a <something> for 5€.
    > Ok, with whom do you want to split with?
    <Some person(s)>
    (> Do you want to split equally?
    Yes)
    > Ok, I have added <something> for 5€ to your expenses list and split it with <some person(s)>. What else can I do for you?

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Pooling the money

Lets say an future event/trip is planned where by several group members pool in the money with only one or two of the group over a period of time. And at the event or trip these one or two people spend the money on behalf of others. So this would ideally be a transfer at the beggining and then the actual expense.

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’ll pass on the suggestion! For now, you might try creating a group with an extra member named “Pool” – you could have everyone pay that fake member some money to start, and then that fake member could pay for expenses that come out of the group pool. Hope that helps!

3. Ability to add a default PayPal address

An account should have the ability to specify an alternate PayPal address so that when it's time to settle up, the alternate address will be used instead of the address associated with Splitwise.

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! This definitely makes sense. We’d like to add the ability for an account to include multiple email addresses, and setting different default addresses for PayPal/Venmo/etc seems like a logical extension of that.

4. import from CSV take 2

I read through your reasoning on why you don't want to tackle supporting import from CSV. There is no standard, and creating one can be messy, particularly with the details you mentioned. However, the cases, if limited to a two-way split are simple to start and would cover that scenario.

I would expect to download a sample CSV (or my own db from your website), append to it exactly as it is, and reupload it to your parser. If a case isn't covered a quick "we don't understand this line please run us through it can feed back into a…

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the detailed thoughts! Building an importer is definitely possible, but it just hasn’t been a high enough priority for us yet – only a handful of people have asked for it, and we’re a tiny team (2 developers), so other updates end up taking precedence. We might get to it someday, but I wouldn’t expect it any time soon, unfortunately.

If you’re feeling brave though (and you’re willing to ignore XKCD’s advice), we do have an API you could use for importing! Docs are here: http://dev.splitwise.com. Maybe someone will put a nice CSV import program up on GitHub for the power users :)

5. "Who paid" column in Excel export

When you export your data to Excel there should be an additional column indicating who paid for each expense.

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Our next update to the Excel feature is to bring it to mobile. Not sure when we’ll have the bandwidth to consider functionality on the whole. Sorry for any inconvenience! Zoe

6. Confirm cancel/escape of itemised bill adding

If we accidentally press Esc or if we happen to click outside the bill entering area, the and new bill popup disappears. We have to enter the whole bill allover again.

Ask for a confirmation from the user before cancelling the bill addition

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. support local decimal mark

US way 1,234.56 = 1.234,56 (german way).
    Right now I can not enter "4,56 Euro" as an amount

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add expenses via email

It would be killer to be able to email a set email address (ie, bills@splitwise) with a bill name and attachment and have it automatically added as an expense and add the attachment.

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Updating since it’s been a while. We still really like this idea, unfortunately, there’s not a lot of momentum around it. We also haven’t figured out the best way to implement it yet. We’ll leave it open for now for further voting and comments.

9. add a 'by calendar' split method

Our household recently had some of its occupants change, and so the payment of things like rent and bills has been complicated. We needed to figureout who was present for each bill, and for how much, and therefore how much they should pay as a result.

Splitting 'by shares' and entering the number of days that people were around was a good solution here, but it's a pain to keep track of that manually.

What I'd love is a calendar where people can be added or removed. Then when an electricity bill comes in (covering 90 days), the date-range for…

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Bills paid by multiple people: "Each person paid an equal share"

When adding a bill which was paid by multiple people you should be able to select an option "Each person paid an equal share" in addition to the available option "Each person paid for their own share".

This is especially useful for couples having a shared bank account / credit card or for shared bills where everyone just chipped in the same amount of money (but one still wants to split the items afterwards).

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Lock group by blocking additional debts after a certain date

We typically make groups for a getaway weekend with lots of people contributing lots of items. We would like the ability to say after x days this group is locked and all bills should be submitted before this date. Ideally, it would send a warning one day before the group is locked and then only payments are allowed to be entered into the group after it is locked.

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We’re generally against features that can “lock” transactions and prevent other people from editing them, but I can definitely see how this would be useful. I’ll mention this at our next design meeting and add it to our list of possible ideas for future updates.

12. Allow for late entries to group be easily added to previously added expenses

I add cab ride and invite 3 people to "cab ride" group. The cost of cab ride should be split between me and 3 people. 2 people and myself join group so splitwise divides it by 3. 4th person then joins group and has to manually be added to expenses. This process becomes horrible when there are 20 people and many expenses for a weekend. Perhaps split up the settlements and expenses so I don't have to go hunting for items to add latecomers. Seriously, make it more like Excel, this interface is childish.

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Provide an option to NOT email friends

Whenever I add a friend that owes me money, you guys send them email and (worse) don't make it clear that you are going to do so. So I've gotten an email or two from friends who are pissed I signed them up for something. Because I respect my friends privacy, this makes Splitwise FAR less useful to me.

When adding a new friend who doesn't use Splitwise, there should be a 'do not email this person' option.

Apps that insist on bothering your friends are bad. You guys are good. Please don't be bad. :)
    Thanks!

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the confusion! We try to make it clear any time you add someone that you are in fact sending them an invite/receipt – if there’s a particular place where we missed that or did it poorly, let us know at support@splitwise.com.

We’re definitely considering making emails optional, but it’s a complicated decision, both for business and user experience reasons. For now, it is possible to create groups where not all members have email addresses, which may help you out. Apologies for the trouble!

14. View expenses by category

Hi,

I would find it extremely useful in both the mobile and web apps if I were able to group a house's expenses by their Category (possibly putting payments in their own section of the summary). In the web app, I imagine the link for this next to 'view printable summary'.

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Are you looking for an item-by-item list, or a summary by category? If you’re looking for the latter, there’s a category breakdown chart you can use on our website – click the “Trends” button at the top of the right-hand sidebar, then click “view full charts” at the bottom of the sidebar. I’ll pass on the suggestion for a way to break things down by category. Hopefully we can add these features to our mobile apps in future updates!

15. Integrate with Tikkie

The Tikkie app allows for creating a payment request, which will redirect the user to their own bank to do the payment. This would allow for easy settlement of a group's debt.

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. add a group chat feature

if you have a group chat feature irrespective of the comments it would be very helpful

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add location to expense

It would be better if we add location of where the expense is made and filter the expense then it would be more easier..

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Krishna – thanks for the suggestion! We’ve thought a bit about location data before, and it’s something that might show up in a future version of the app. Until then, apologies for any inconvenience!

18. settle up as of <date>

the ability to select a bill and settle up at that point, so settle up all bills before this (and perhaps insert that payment into the timeline there)

so if I had 3 bills and I owed $80
    April Gas : $20
    march Food: $40
    March Gas $20

I could select "March Food" and settle up all my previous payments (march food and gas) and after it would look like this

you Owe $20
    April Gas : $20
    Rich paid $60
    march Food: $40
    March Gas $20

THANKS!

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re not currently planning to add something like this as we believe it would not be used by many users and would therefore unnecessarily complicate the interface. If this idea gets a lot of votes, we’ll reconsider.

Marshall

19. Allow an end date for recurring payments, or build an incremental recurring payment option

This would allow me to pay someone back in increments until the whole amount is paid back. For example, my fiance paid for flights for our upcoming vacation. I want to pay him back $700 over the next 6 months, so I'd like to set up a recurring monthly payment of $117 that ends after 6 payments. Alternatively, you could add another option for divided bills that automatically calculates and schedules gradual payments.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! I see how this would be a good improvement. Are you aware that you can set a payment to reoccur already, although we don’t have as fine tuning as you’d like? If you need any help setting our (basic) reoccuring feature up please email support@splitwise.com. Thanks, Zoe

20. Suggested improvement

You should make it so that AFTER having amounts divided among all of the various parties, that you can combine people into a group.
    This is useful when a couple is involved. For example, a group trip where there's 1 couple and 2 single people.
    It's easier to have them separate to start, because they each have stayed at the hotel or eaten the meals as individuals. But then paying, it is easier to have them as 1 entity.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base