General

1. "Simplify debts with" in a group

It could be usefull to redirect simplified debts with a person in a specific group, instead of non-group

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We don’t plan to make any changes to the “Simplify debts with” algorithm. We do offer simplify debts as an ongoing toggle in groups, which we think is usually a much better solution to the simplify debts problem, though we kept the more general one around for rare cases where it’s needed. You can always edit a specific Simplify debts entry and move it into a group if you want to.

Marshall

2. Expenses/Non-Splitwise thru payments approval

I really believe this feature is a must!
    I came across some previous similar suggestions .. which were declined on the reason that Dashboard and email notifications about a new expense accomplish the same

Don't you guys realize that whatever you do..any step adding an expense edit it..etc etc "APPROVAL FROM ALL People involved in a Transaction!" is the FINAL Unavoidable step..be it AN EXPENSE OR A CASH PAYMENT

Similarly "Settlement via Cash" needs approval!
    ------------------------------------------------------

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately, our answer for this remains the same – we don’t plan to add explicit “approval” for when bills/payments are added, updated, or deleted. We’ve actually tried a feature like this in the past, and the overwhelming feedback was that our users wanted us to get rid of it. For the average person, it’s quite a hassle to manually approve every transaction on Splitwise, and it makes the site very difficult to use unless all of your friends are active users.

As always, you can set your notification settings to be notified any time that something is added or updated. And of course, you are always free to edit or remove expenses that you think were added incorrectly, and to talk out the issue with the involved parties. Sorry for the trouble!

3. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

At least for now, Splitwise’s policy is that anyone involved in a bill has the power to view, edit, or delete it. We realize this can make things difficult if two users disagree on a bill – but even if editing was disallowed, those two users could still just add more expenses to change things to their liking.

We think it’s more important for users to be able to correct actual mistakes, and allowing editing by any involved user makes this much simpler for the majority of our users. Sorry for any inconvenience!

4. Sharing grocery lists

Can we get a tab for sharing grocery lists? One tab that autoupdates to which all members of a household can contribute and check mark things off?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This would be more appropriate for a grocery list app and wouldn’t be part of Splitwise’s core. As such we’d be unlikely to be able to dedicate the time necessary to create an entire sub app within Splitwise.

5. Add Toman Currency, Iranian common but unofficial currency

In the daily life of Iranians, the currency called "Toman" is more frequently used than the official currency, "Rial (IRR)", because of a lot of zeros!
    Toman is one tenth of Rial, i.e. 10000 Rial is equal to 1000 Toman.
    Please add this currency (or replace it with Rial), because it makes confusion and error by the users frequently.
    Thank you

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the message, and sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately, I’m afraid our list of currencies is restricted to currencies with official international currency codes, so we can’t add the Toman right now :(

I did some research, and I saw that there have been efforts to replace the Rial with either the Toman or a new unit called the Parsi, but most of the articles that mentioned this possible change were several years old. If a currency change ever becomes official, we’d be happy to add the new unit of currency. Until then, my apologies for the inconvenience!

6. Drinks category

I don't drink alcohol at all but if I like to tag drinks on splitwise, there is just an "Schnapps" category with the picture of a wine bootle. Could you please add a drinks or beverages category or at least rename it?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We’ve separated out the Schnapps category from the Groceries category because we found that the distinction between alcohol and other foodstuffs was clear to most people. Adding a Drinks category separate from Groceries would add a lot of ambiguity for not much benefit (is milk drinks or groceries, for example). We also have the Dining out category for anything at restaurants.

I’m sorry we don’t have the best set of categories for you, but I don’t expect we will add a separate Drinks category.

Marshall

7. Sort contact list by frequency

There are a few people with whom I have to share expenses every day. And there are people with whom I have shared expenses just once or twice.

While adding an expense, when the contact list is shown, instead of sorting it alphabetically, it should be sorted by frequency.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We don’t plan to add different sorting for this, but we are considering showing your last 5 people or groups in a special Recents list section for adding expenses.

Marshall

8. Email Printable Summary to Group

It would be nice to email printable summary to the group who does not use splitwise

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We currently send monthly summaries to everyone who has signed up for Splitwise and have pre-written balance reminders you can send to anyone in the group we can email. We also have the monthly PDF you can get from the group (click on the month name in the expense list) that should be suitable for sending to housemates.

Marshall

9. dispense with the notion of "groups", except as a shortcut to adding friends to a bill.

I'm not really sure what purpose groups are serving, but really what I want is to be able to say, "add a bill to this group", and have it just open the same screen as it does when I add a bill to a friend, but with all the correct friends for that group already added...

Not sure why groups are managed as a completely separate thing from friends - seems like a group is just a subset of friends.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

While we do plan to revisit our groups concept and will be tuning how our groups and friendships interact (it’s definitely not correct in the current UI), the main difference between friends and groups is privacy. In a group, and bill added to the group can be seen by anyone in the group, regardless of if they are involved in the bill or not. This is nice if you have related bills that not everyone is involved in, but might want to see (I might not pay anything on the electrical bill, but it’s important to me that my apartment has electricity).

This also means anyone in the group may add, edit or delete bills for anyone else in the group and balances get shuffled in groups if you turn Simplified Debts on for the group.

The upshot of this is: only set up a group for a set of…

10. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble. We think it’s important to show deleted expense in ACTIVITY — I shouldn’t be able to delete an expense with you and then also delete the record of the deletion, that would be really bad! If you need any help understanding your ACTIVITY please write support@splitwise.com. Thanks!

11. Add setting or advanced feature to decide who bears the burden of uneven divisions

May I suggest adding an "Advanced Setting" that allows the user to decide who bears the burden of uneven divisions?

The option would allow the user to choose a simple "Me" or "Them" such that if the user chose "Me" as the bearer of uneven divisions then debts would be split evenly (to the cent) over all debtors and the user would bear any leftovers from the division operation.

For example ("Me" option), if the bill is $60.01 split over 3 people (including the user), then each person should pay $20.00 but the users takes on the extra $0.01.

An…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The uneven cents are randomly distributed among group members. We want to make it randomly distributed the same after an expense is updated instead of it being randomly reassigned again but we will likely not add a setting to determine this ahead of time.

12. how the heck can someone else delete an entry I made ?

Your application is awesome, but it has a huge flaw when it comes to the part where someone else is allowed to delete an entry i made. I see that you have notifications set up when such thing happens but this will not work. You should not allow this to happen in the first place. By giving everyone right to delete anyone else's entry in a group you are losing customers like me to billmonk.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We allow group members to edit or delete anything within that group. This is because we want anyone within that group to be able to fix a mistake and have total transparency. If you create a friendship with a person, then the only people that can edit or delete an expense will be the people involved.

13. All Import from the same format as your export feature

Before knowing your website existed I split using a spreadsheet (last night) and would be happy to conform my format to the same as your export format. Just let me know if you support and point me to the import option

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Dustin, sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately, I don’t think we’re likely to build a general importer in the near future. Even our spreadsheet export doesn’t actually have enough information to import bills – for instance, it doesn’t have complete information about how much each person paid, or each person’s email address.

I’d love to add an actual importer at some point in the future, but right now we’re really short on manpower (we’re only two engineers), so unfortunately other updates will probably take priority. For now, your best bet is probably just to add your current total balances with your friends as new expenses, and optionally include your spreadsheet as an attachment. My apologies for the inconvenience!

14. Duplicate group creation/monthly sharing

We are a group of friends who share an apartment. We would like to have our expenses tabled month-wise. It would be great if Splitwise either -
    1) has a feature in groups to divide the group expenses month-wise
    2) allows duplicate group with the same existing members(creating new group for every month by adding email ids of people every time is a hassle)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve added a feature to the website that will hide expenses whenever the overall balance in the group is $0. If you do settle up each month, the last months expenses will be hidden.

We will likely bring this to the iPhone and Android at some point. Will this work for what you want?

Marshall

15. Stop saying “Settle Up”

Settling is a downward motion. The idioms are “to settle a debt” as to resolve the debt or “to saddle up” as to prepare to leave by putting a saddle on your horse. Pick one, not both.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Authorize a large payment or Bill

To add an extra level of authentication or authorization when there is a threshold bill amount or a threshold payment has passed.

This is mainly for payments, when a receiving party hasn't looked for notification for a long time and someone has just reported a payment that may/may not been made, neither the receiver has checked for the receipt of the payment. In this case, for historical reasons, Its good to add a double authentication on a large amount (may be static for all or customized for each user). So that to avoid situation where one can not claim something…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve never been able to add any kind of confirmation to our system without creating many more problems than it solves. While we can see that you want to be able to trust entries, we feel the better solution is better notifications, not restrictive confirmations. We’re planning to roll out a new notifications system in the next month, so hopefully that will mostly solve this issue.

Marshall

17. Improvement in settle up button

Your concept is great. I like everything about your application.
    In current style of your settle up any party can go and settle up the payment. Make it mandatory for both party to recognize the payment. That will be much better. Also add flexibility in payment. include option for payment of amount which is less than actual amount in settle up.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! You can already pay a different amount when making a payment. Just edit the total in the record payment form before saving the payment.

As for payment confirmations, Splitwise actually used to work this way, but we got rid of the confirmation step because people complained that it was too much of a hassle.

Our in-between solution was email notifications. By default, you should get an email any time someone says they have paid you, and then if you wish you can double-check that they have actually given you money. (And if they haven’t, then you can delete the payment from Splitwise or comment on it!) You can also see a full record of changes in your account at any time by going to the “Recent activity” screen.

Hope that makes sense! Let us know if you have questions or concerns.

Marshall

18. Buxfer - Translating tags

I used tags extensively in Buxfer to categorize my transactions. However, when importing them to Splitwise they are all dumped into General category which is very annoying.

During import, a list of tags from Buxfer could be presented to the user and the user could decide how to map those tags to Splitwise's notion of categorization.

For example, I've a tag called "rent" in Buxfer. I would map it to Home > Rent in Splitwise.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Update: our Buxfer importer is no longer available.

Thanks for the suggestion, and sorry for the trouble! I’ll pass this on at our next team meeting. Right now there aren’t many people importing from Buxfer, so this is probably a lower priority update for us, but I’ll definitely add it to our list of possible improvements.

19. Simplify Debt for iOS App

It would be nice if we could simplify debt amongst an arbitrary set of friends from the iOS App. We can do this on the web interface (though I contend it is still a little hard to find this feature), but the feature appears to be missing from the mobile version.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Simplify debts giving expense details

Currently the simply debts does not clearly state what Math took place behind the scenes. It simply reports a transaction "Simplify debts". It would be helpful to display that in the "Notes" section of a transaction.

If X owes Y 10, Y owes Z 10 and Z owes X 10, in a simplify debts among these three users, the amounts that each user owed each other must be added to the notes section. Currently today it would report something like "X paid Z 10", Y paid Z 10, Z paid X 10, which is not totally accurate as a transaction…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve debated this issue a lot, and the reason we don’t save complete details in the notes of a debt shuffle is because of privacy concerns. Say you’re person X in your scenario – we feel pretty strongly that you shouldn’t be able to see the details of a transaction between Y and Z that doesn’t involve you. Neither of those people has given you permission to see their financial info, and to include full details about the shuffle would reveal that Y owes Z (or vice versa).

It’s definitely an annoying problem – it makes simplify debts a “black box”, where you can’t see all the transactions involved – but we think that’s better than the potential privacy concerns of exposing people’s information. That’s also why simplify debts is considered an “Advanced feature”, and is not intended for most users.

• Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base