General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Email Printable Summary to Group

It would be nice to email printable summary to the group who does not use splitwise

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We currently send monthly summaries to everyone who has signed up for Splitwise and have pre-written balance reminders you can send to anyone in the group we can email. We also have the monthly PDF you can get from the group (click on the month name in the expense list) that should be suitable for sending to housemates.

Marshall

2. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve decided to leave out the graph for now – not many people were using it, and it was hurting performance/speed. We’ll consider it for future updates, but at the moment there are no plans to bring it back. Sorry!

3. dispense with the notion of "groups", except as a shortcut to adding friends to a bill.

I'm not really sure what purpose groups are serving, but really what I want is to be able to say, "add a bill to this group", and have it just open the same screen as it does when I add a bill to a friend, but with all the correct friends for that group already added...

Not sure why groups are managed as a completely separate thing from friends - seems like a group is just a subset of friends.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

While we do plan to revisit our groups concept and will be tuning how our groups and friendships interact (it’s definitely not correct in the current UI), the main difference between friends and groups is privacy. In a group, and bill added to the group can be seen by anyone in the group, regardless of if they are involved in the bill or not. This is nice if you have related bills that not everyone is involved in, but might want to see (I might not pay anything on the electrical bill, but it’s important to me that my apartment has electricity).

This also means anyone in the group may add, edit or delete bills for anyone else in the group and balances get shuffled in groups if you turn Simplified Debts on for the group.

The upshot of this is: only set up a group for a set of…

4. Add setting or advanced feature to decide who bears the burden of uneven divisions

May I suggest adding an "Advanced Setting" that allows the user to decide who bears the burden of uneven divisions?

The option would allow the user to choose a simple "Me" or "Them" such that if the user chose "Me" as the bearer of uneven divisions then debts would be split evenly (to the cent) over all debtors and the user would bear any leftovers from the division operation.

For example ("Me" option), if the bill is $60.01 split over 3 people (including the user), then each person should pay $20.00 but the users takes on the extra $0.01.

An…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The uneven cents are randomly distributed among group members. We want to make it randomly distributed the same after an expense is updated instead of it being randomly reassigned again but we will likely not add a setting to determine this ahead of time.

5. how the heck can someone else delete an entry I made ?

Your application is awesome, but it has a huge flaw when it comes to the part where someone else is allowed to delete an entry i made. I see that you have notifications set up when such thing happens but this will not work. You should not allow this to happen in the first place. By giving everyone right to delete anyone else's entry in a group you are losing customers like me to billmonk.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We allow group members to edit or delete anything within that group. This is because we want anyone within that group to be able to fix a mistake and have total transparency. If you create a friendship with a person, then the only people that can edit or delete an expense will be the people involved.

6. All Import from the same format as your export feature

Before knowing your website existed I split using a spreadsheet (last night) and would be happy to conform my format to the same as your export format. Just let me know if you support and point me to the import option

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Dustin, sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately, I don’t think we’re likely to build a general importer in the near future. Even our spreadsheet export doesn’t actually have enough information to import bills – for instance, it doesn’t have complete information about how much each person paid, or each person’s email address.

I’d love to add an actual importer at some point in the future, but right now we’re really short on manpower (we’re only two engineers), so unfortunately other updates will probably take priority. For now, your best bet is probably just to add your current total balances with your friends as new expenses, and optionally include your spreadsheet as an attachment. My apologies for the inconvenience!

7. Duplicate group creation/monthly sharing

We are a group of friends who share an apartment. We would like to have our expenses tabled month-wise. It would be great if Splitwise either -
    1) has a feature in groups to divide the group expenses month-wise
    2) allows duplicate group with the same existing members(creating new group for every month by adding email ids of people every time is a hassle)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve added a feature to the website that will hide expenses whenever the overall balance in the group is $0. If you do settle up each month, the last months expenses will be hidden.

We will likely bring this to the iPhone and Android at some point. Will this work for what you want?

Marshall

8. Stop saying “Settle Up”

Settling is a downward motion. The idioms are “to settle a debt” as to resolve the debt or “to saddle up” as to prepare to leave by putting a saddle on your horse. Pick one, not both.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Authorize a large payment or Bill

To add an extra level of authentication or authorization when there is a threshold bill amount or a threshold payment has passed.

This is mainly for payments, when a receiving party hasn't looked for notification for a long time and someone has just reported a payment that may/may not been made, neither the receiver has checked for the receipt of the payment. In this case, for historical reasons, Its good to add a double authentication on a large amount (may be static for all or customized for each user). So that to avoid situation where one can not claim something…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve never been able to add any kind of confirmation to our system without creating many more problems than it solves. While we can see that you want to be able to trust entries, we feel the better solution is better notifications, not restrictive confirmations. We’re planning to roll out a new notifications system in the next month, so hopefully that will mostly solve this issue.

Marshall

10. Revert to old color scheme

New color scheme doesn't look good to me. Please revert back to old one.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry you don’t like the new colors! We are planning to keep them, though. It’s definitely a lot different than the old Splitwise, but we hope the change will grow on you with time.

11. Owe

The owes you and you owe is always confused with us. So please see if you can have this word replace with any good understandable word please

Thanks

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We’ve spent a lot of time on the language in the app and this is the best set of words we’ve been able to come up with. It’s not something we plan to change, but I’d love to hear more about why it’s confusing.

Marshall

12. Buxfer - Translating tags

I used tags extensively in Buxfer to categorize my transactions. However, when importing them to Splitwise they are all dumped into General category which is very annoying.

During import, a list of tags from Buxfer could be presented to the user and the user could decide how to map those tags to Splitwise's notion of categorization.

For example, I've a tag called "rent" in Buxfer. I would map it to Home > Rent in Splitwise.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Update: our Buxfer importer is no longer available.

Thanks for the suggestion, and sorry for the trouble! I’ll pass this on at our next team meeting. Right now there aren’t many people importing from Buxfer, so this is probably a lower priority update for us, but I’ll definitely add it to our list of possible improvements.

13. Simplify Debt for iOS App

It would be nice if we could simplify debt amongst an arbitrary set of friends from the iOS App. We can do this on the web interface (though I contend it is still a little hard to find this feature), but the feature appears to be missing from the mobile version.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Simplify debts giving expense details

Currently the simply debts does not clearly state what Math took place behind the scenes. It simply reports a transaction "Simplify debts". It would be helpful to display that in the "Notes" section of a transaction.

If X owes Y 10, Y owes Z 10 and Z owes X 10, in a simplify debts among these three users, the amounts that each user owed each other must be added to the notes section. Currently today it would report something like "X paid Z 10", Y paid Z 10, Z paid X 10, which is not totally accurate as a transaction…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve debated this issue a lot, and the reason we don’t save complete details in the notes of a debt shuffle is because of privacy concerns. Say you’re person X in your scenario – we feel pretty strongly that you shouldn’t be able to see the details of a transaction between Y and Z that doesn’t involve you. Neither of those people has given you permission to see their financial info, and to include full details about the shuffle would reveal that Y owes Z (or vice versa).

It’s definitely an annoying problem – it makes simplify debts a “black box”, where you can’t see all the transactions involved – but we think that’s better than the potential privacy concerns of exposing people’s information. That’s also why simplify debts is considered an “Advanced feature”, and is not intended for most users.

15. Let Paypal handle money limits

It says I can't transfer more than $500 via paypal. However, paypal has limits on a per user basis based on how verified their account is. I don't have limits do therefore paywise is limiting me unfairly. I can't use your app to record a payment then.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a limit imposed by PayPal, not us. Their API limits third-party applications to send a maximum of $500 per week per user.

If you’d like to send larger amounts of money via PayPal, you can always transfer the money directly from PayPal.com, and then record that payment here on Splitwise. Sorry for the inconvenience!

16. categories for different kind of taxes.

Add an option for the % of tax on that particular commodity. 5% or 2.5%, I am from Virginia and I have 1 single bill with electronics and groceries in it.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In a case like this, it’s probably easiest to add the electronics and the groceries as two different bills. Adding a % tax for each individual item seems like it would introduce a lot of complexity – depending on how many items are on your bill, you might end up having to type in an extra number dozens of times. Sorry!

17. [FEATURE] Split Tasks also

I was working on an App similar to this for my custom use case, but never thought that having a Web UI would help. :) Great job with the app firstly.

My idea is like this:
    Splitwise - It doesn't have to be restricted to splitting bills. I should be able to list down a list of tasks also for a group (like a TODO, for the whole group).

Say :
    1. Buy Groceries
    2. Pay Internet Bill (Amount Rs 1000) so on.

Members of the group can strike off tasks (mentioning Notes) and the Group is Notified.

An extension…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Karthik,

We’re planning on sticking with just managing bills and expenses for the foreseeable future. This is a great idea and we do have an API for third parties who want to use our system and data for other purposes, so making a third party app that does this and integrates with Splitwise is certainly possible.

We currently have about a years worth of backlog of exciting new stuff for the site and apps for just managing money. We’re a pretty small company, so adding more features that aren’t just focused on that is currently just not something we can do.

Marshall

18. I am not quite sure if your site has the option to divide unequally shared expenses.

I have designed a code for that. If you would like to add it in the future, I would not mind sharing it. :)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey divz – we actually support splitting expenses in all sorts of ways, including by percent, by shares, by itemizing, and more. You can access all these by logging in to Splitwise, clicking the “Add bill” button, entering the bill’s description and cost, and then clicking where it says “Split equally” to adjust the split. Thanks for your offer! :)

19. Add the app to the F-Droid store

F Droid is an alternative app store for the Android platform. It would be great if you could add your app to F droid so that some of us that don't use the Google Play Store can easily get access to the app.

If not, please atleast consider providing a signed APK file for direct download.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. IOUs to people with out email or phone number

Whilst I understand the rationale of entering email ID / phone number for your friend on splitwise, there are cases where you meet a bunch of friends + one random person. In this case, I am sure to onboard all my friends to splitwise, however because I can't add a person (that I barely know) without email ID, I cannot spit the bill easily. I now need to calculate the bill outside splitwise and create entries per splitwise contact

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a totally reasonable request. We used to support this, but found that is caused a lot more problems than it solved. If you really need to do this, you can add a friend as anything@example.com and it will let you create a dummy account (any prefix at the @example.com suffix will create an account without a real email address).

Marshall

• Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base