General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Stop saying “Settle Up”

Settling is a downward motion. The idioms are “to settle a debt” as to resolve the debt or “to saddle up” as to prepare to leave by putting a saddle on your horse. Pick one, not both.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Authorize a large payment or Bill

To add an extra level of authentication or authorization when there is a threshold bill amount or a threshold payment has passed.

This is mainly for payments, when a receiving party hasn't looked for notification for a long time and someone has just reported a payment that may/may not been made, neither the receiver has checked for the receipt of the payment. In this case, for historical reasons, Its good to add a double authentication on a large amount (may be static for all or customized for each user). So that to avoid situation where one can not claim something…

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve never been able to add any kind of confirmation to our system without creating many more problems than it solves. While we can see that you want to be able to trust entries, we feel the better solution is better notifications, not restrictive confirmations. We’re planning to roll out a new notifications system in the next month, so hopefully that will mostly solve this issue.

Marshall

• Revert to old color scheme

New color scheme doesn't look good to me. Please revert back to old one.

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry you don’t like the new colors! We are planning to keep them, though. It’s definitely a lot different than the old Splitwise, but we hope the change will grow on you with time.

• Owe

The owes you and you owe is always confused with us. So please see if you can have this word replace with any good understandable word please

Thanks

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We’ve spent a lot of time on the language in the app and this is the best set of words we’ve been able to come up with. It’s not something we plan to change, but I’d love to hear more about why it’s confusing.

Marshall

• Buxfer - Translating tags

I used tags extensively in Buxfer to categorize my transactions. However, when importing them to Splitwise they are all dumped into General category which is very annoying.

During import, a list of tags from Buxfer could be presented to the user and the user could decide how to map those tags to Splitwise's notion of categorization.

For example, I've a tag called "rent" in Buxfer. I would map it to Home > Rent in Splitwise.

3 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

Update: our Buxfer importer is no longer available.

Thanks for the suggestion, and sorry for the trouble! I’ll pass this on at our next team meeting. Right now there aren’t many people importing from Buxfer, so this is probably a lower priority update for us, but I’ll definitely add it to our list of possible improvements.

• Simplify Debt for iOS App

It would be nice if we could simplify debt amongst an arbitrary set of friends from the iOS App. We can do this on the web interface (though I contend it is still a little hard to find this feature), but the feature appears to be missing from the mobile version.

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Simplify debts giving expense details

Currently the simply debts does not clearly state what Math took place behind the scenes. It simply reports a transaction "Simplify debts". It would be helpful to display that in the "Notes" section of a transaction.

If X owes Y 10, Y owes Z 10 and Z owes X 10, in a simplify debts among these three users, the amounts that each user owed each other must be added to the notes section. Currently today it would report something like "X paid Z 10", Y paid Z 10, Z paid X 10, which is not totally accurate as a transaction…

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve debated this issue a lot, and the reason we don’t save complete details in the notes of a debt shuffle is because of privacy concerns. Say you’re person X in your scenario – we feel pretty strongly that you shouldn’t be able to see the details of a transaction between Y and Z that doesn’t involve you. Neither of those people has given you permission to see their financial info, and to include full details about the shuffle would reveal that Y owes Z (or vice versa).

It’s definitely an annoying problem – it makes simplify debts a “black box”, where you can’t see all the transactions involved – but we think that’s better than the potential privacy concerns of exposing people’s information. That’s also why simplify debts is considered an “Advanced feature”, and is not intended for most users.

• Let Paypal handle money limits

It says I can't transfer more than $500 via paypal. However, paypal has limits on a per user basis based on how verified their account is. I don't have limits do therefore paywise is limiting me unfairly. I can't use your app to record a payment then.

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a limit imposed by PayPal, not us. Their API limits third-party applications to send a maximum of $500 per week per user.

If you’d like to send larger amounts of money via PayPal, you can always transfer the money directly from PayPal.com, and then record that payment here on Splitwise. Sorry for the inconvenience!

• categories for different kind of taxes.

Add an option for the % of tax on that particular commodity. 5% or 2.5%, I am from Virginia and I have 1 single bill with electronics and groceries in it.

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In a case like this, it’s probably easiest to add the electronics and the groceries as two different bills. Adding a % tax for each individual item seems like it would introduce a lot of complexity – depending on how many items are on your bill, you might end up having to type in an extra number dozens of times. Sorry!

• Transaction Privacy

I find it a problem that everyone in the household can see all transactions even if they aren't involved in them.

Say I share a house with two people. I charge more for one room than the other. I have created separate monthly transactions for each amount for each person. The problem is that person A can see how much person B is paying for rent, and vise versa, possibly creating household tension.

If someone isn't involved in a transaction at all, it should not show up in their transactions list.

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve decided that all group expenses should be able to be seen by everyone in that group.

You can get around this by creating a friendship with a person if you’d like to have private expenses with people directly.

• I am not quite sure if your site has the option to divide unequally shared expenses.

I have designed a code for that. If you would like to add it in the future, I would not mind sharing it. :)

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey divz – we actually support splitting expenses in all sorts of ways, including by percent, by shares, by itemizing, and more. You can access all these by logging in to Splitwise, clicking the “Add bill” button, entering the bill’s description and cost, and then clicking where it says “Split equally” to adjust the split. Thanks for your offer! :)

• Add the app to the F-Droid store

F Droid is an alternative app store for the Android platform. It would be great if you could add your app to F droid so that some of us that don't use the Google Play Store can easily get access to the app.

If not, please atleast consider providing a signed APK file for direct download.

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • IOUs to people with out email or phone number

Whilst I understand the rationale of entering email ID / phone number for your friend on splitwise, there are cases where you meet a bunch of friends + one random person. In this case, I am sure to onboard all my friends to splitwise, however because I can't add a person (that I barely know) without email ID, I cannot spit the bill easily. I now need to calculate the bill outside splitwise and create entries per splitwise contact

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a totally reasonable request. We used to support this, but found that is caused a lot more problems than it solved. If you really need to do this, you can add a friend as anything@example.com and it will let you create a dummy account (any prefix at the @example.com suffix will create an account without a real email address).

Marshall

• Allow the owner(the person who has paid the amount) to approve/decline the settlement given by others

Now the application allows anyone in the group to edit the amount, settle the amount even though they haven't paid. There should be an option for the owner who enters bill to approve or decline the changes made by other members, for example, if someone chooses amount settled then the owner has to get an option to approve or decline it. And if other members edit the amount paid , owner should get a notification to approve or decline it. So the person who has paid the amount will have a control over managing expenses.

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Splitwise actually used to work this way, but we got rid of the confirmation step because people complained that it was too much of a hassle.

Our in-between solution was email notifications. By default, you should get an email any time someone says they have paid you, and then if you wish you can double-check that they have actually given you money. (And if they haven’t, then you can delete the payment from Splitwise!) You can also see a full record of changes in your account at any time by going to the “Recent activity” screen.

You can also get notifications through email or push notifications for expenses being added, deleted or edited.

Hope that makes sense! Let us know if you have questions or concerns.

• Reverse order of expense name and expense amount on mobile

When entering an expense on the mobile app, I often find myself trying to type the amount into the name field. This is because I'm usually at the register, and have the number top of mind. Compared to the name, the amount is harder to remember and easier to forget. It'd be easier to go back and add the name later: I'm more likely to remember that I went to CVS than I am to remember that I spent 17.63 there. It'd be great to have the option to reverse the order of the name and amount fields, at least…

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

So sorry for the trouble! We’ve actually done a ton of testing on this, because people tend to have strong instincts one way or another – you’re definitely not the only person to accidentally enter the cost in the description field :) We ultimately found that description, then cost was the most “common” order, so that’s what we’ve gone with. I don’t think we’re likely to add a custom setting for this, but it is still on our list of things to think about – maybe we can come up with some clever improvements in the future.

• Link accounts with popular eWallets (e.g. Paytm) so that settling of expenses can happen immediately and with ease.

Link accounts with popular eWallets (e.g. Paytm) so that settling of expenses can happen immediately and with ease. Provide the option of settling via eWallet or cash. Linking of bank accounts might raise security concerns but people are alot more comfortable with eWallets. For necessary Authorization you can redirect to the eWallets app/webpage (similar to what alot of other apps do).

3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey, thanks for the feedback! We have a lot of ideas for different payment options, please go vote for the one’s that you want, or submit a new idea if we don’t have the payment option you’re looking for.

• floating names in receipt view

When entering a long receipt, the names of the people disappears off the top of the screen, it would be good if they stayed at the top so you knew which column was whose. Also, receipt splitting on mobile app

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Allow people leave the description field empty. Most of time, category is enough. Thanks!

Allow people leave the description field empty. Most of the time, the category is enough. Thanks!

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We’re settled on our current requirements of an amount and a description. The one shortcut that might help you is if you type the name of the category in the description field, the app should automatically update the category for you.

Marshall

• Update and universal

Update Plates and make both universally available for iOS and macOS.

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • custom tax plan

trying to create a tax plan but couldn't add more brackets. basically I want to create the following brackets

from 10k to 100k, every 10k your tax rate goes up by 1%
                                          from 100k to 1m, every 100k your tax rate goes up by 1%
                                          from 1m to 10m, every 1m your tax rate goes up by 1%
                                          from 10m 10 100m, every 10m your tax rate goes up by 1%
                                          from 100m to 1b, every 100m your tax rate goes up by 1%

I want to see how much revenue this would create compared to the current plan.

also…

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! We’re not planning to make any major changes to our tax plan calculator at this point and I don’t think we even have the underlying data to make this kind of calculation in any event. Sorry I don’t have better news!

Marshall

• Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base