General

1. Advance payment between friends

There are instances when there is an advance payment involved ( including yourself ) between friends and then expenses deduct the money.
    I am not able to add my own share ( advance payment ) in a group. Typically in this scenario its like X pays X ( which is not a valid scenario in other conditions )

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I can definitely see how this would be useful! Hopefully we can consider adding support for a “kitty fund” or the like sometime in the future.

For now, I’ve seen a few people simulate this by adding an additional member to their group called “Kitty fund”, and using that extra member to keep track of shared funds. For example, if everyone pays $100 to the kitty fund at the beginning of the month, then you can choose the kitty fund as the payer for new expenses like groceries or rent. Splitwise should accurately update to show how much money the kitty fund has left (e.g. “The kitty fund owes $50” = the kitty fund has $50 left). It’s definitely a bit of a hack, but it might be worth trying if you and your friends always split bills this way.

2. NEVER EVER allow accounts to be created without properly linking PayPal or Venmo to both PAY and RECEIVE PAYMENTS

Splitwise currently allows different emails for Splitwise and Venmo accounts without linking them. The result is that Splitwise fails to connect to an account for you to RECEIVE payments but it takes them from you.

Splitwise should NEVER EVER allow accounts to be created that haven't properly been linked for BOTH paying AND receiving payments.

This is Splitwise's fault for not having a verification system. Splitwise needs to fix this problem, otherwise people will pay you and it will just sit around.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! We’d definitely like to add more explicit confirmation for PayPal/Venmo payments in the future, and we’ve been working on the ability for a Splitwise user to have multiple email addresses for their account (e.g. one for PayPal, one for Venmo, etc). Hopefully we can make more improvements in this area this year.

3. Calendar

a calendar feature that helps a home group keep track of who gets paid when, and when bills are due. To help figure out who will actually pay the bill, and then be owed by the rest of the group.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks Randy! Have you tried using the ‘recurring bill’ feature? Interested to know whether that meets this need, or whether you think we need a calendar function on top of it. Thanks for using Splitwise and writing in!

4. Export notes as well

When exporting to a spreadsheet, it would be awesome if all the information related to transaction is also saved as an excel file (rather than CSV). Currently notes and attached images are not exported.

Saving as an excel file, will give more flexibility to add links to images saved along with a transaction.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! I can see how notes and attachments would be useful, though we’d have to think a bit about how exactly to structure the spreadsheet (we probably wouldn’t want just one “notes” column, or each cell might have a huge amount of text). I’ll add this to our list of possible improvements for the next time we’re working on printouts and exports.

5. add the ability to link to bank accounts

we did this with paydivvy. its the one thing that separated them from everyone else. now that paydivvy is being acquired we need a new service. hopefully connecting bank accounts is part of your plan already! makes it a lot easier to just press "pay" rather than cutting a check each time

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’d definitely like to do this! It’s unlikely to happen any time in the next few months (it takes a lot of work to properly and securely integrate with banks), but hopefully it’s something we can consider in the future.

6. More mobile notifications rather email

Like if someone pays me then it must be a push notification. For every notification i am the one who should choose what type of msg i get bt in most push notification is bot an option.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Create a Quicken Web Connect service

It would be really great to have a web connect feature with Splitwise to Quicken. Since half of my transactions are complete by my significant other, we each only see a portion of our actual expenses in our respective transaction history via our banks. This actually makes it kind of difficult to get a clear picture of what we are spending our money on.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow Venmo Charges

You venmo integration is great, but you currently cannot request money and create a Venmo charge. This would help remind people to settle debts. You've already integrated with the Venmo API, and according to their documentation, all you need to do is put a negative amount in the request to create a charge -- this should be easy (see: https://developer.venmo.com/docs/payments).

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow custom messages to be sent to group members from Splitwise Group

I would like to send a custom message to specific members of a Group directly from Splitwise. I've tried using the whiteboard function but that doesn't seem to work very well.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Are you aware of the ability to send reminders, or comment on specific expenses? You can send an email to a fellow group member by clicking on their name in the right sidebar, then clicking the “Send reminder” button. You can leave comments on specific expenses by clicking the expense, then entering a comment in the comment box – the other people involved in the bill should get an email about your comment. I hope that helps!

10. Disable loading phone contacts when entering a transaction

If I want to enter a transaction, I want to do this fast, so spent the least possible amount of time on searching and including the right person. The Android app shows all my phonebook contacts, which is not convienient if I just quickly want to add a transaction.

Maybe a separate "import phonebook contacts" button can be made available

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Transfer money directly through Splitwise

Why you are planning to add square cash as an payment option, why you are using third party tools. Instead, do you have any future strategy to implement your own payment option, somewhat exactly as square cash. By this, people will trust in your own application more than someone else. For example, If I have to give some money to my friend, than either I give cash or will send money online by bank transfer or square cash. In either option I have to go and create a transaction in split wise and when my friend give it back than…

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! It’d definitely be interesting to transfer money directly through Splitwise (without using PayPal/Venmo/Square Cash/etc). We haven’t built that feature so far because there are a lot of regulations around transferring money, and we’d need to do a lot of technical and legal work, but it’s on our list of possible things to do in the future.

12. Siri Integration

Wondering why no one suggested this? Ask siri to split bill in group or just say 'John' owes me ₹250.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’d love to integrate with Siri! In the past we weren’t able to work with the integration, but we’ll look for any changes that may allow us to add this. Thanks for the suggestion!

13. Two Factor Authentication (2fa) Support

Please offer two factor authentication or Two Factor Authentication (2FA) support for SplitWise.

Thanks!

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Integrate with Personal Capital

Integrate with Personal Capital budgeting app to allow importing items into splitwise from there

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Create bill templates

I add bills at the end of the month...when I do, there are usually similar groups, for instance, I do groceries at once, but every goshdarn bill I add, I have to redo the changes I made to each successive one, each time it requires several clicks, if I could instead make a template and reuse it, it would make it far easier for me. Or copy an old one and change what I needed. For instance, all you'd need to add is a right click or link that said "create new bill from old" next to the bills when…

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve been thinking about something like this for monthly utility bills, where the total cost changes month-to-month but everything else stays the same. We’re looking into it!

16. 24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Payment Options

You can add the payment options and allow transfer of money to other accounts , like kind of link accounts with splitwise and transfer directly . Something of that sort which is for sure safe and secure

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We don’t currently have plans to transfer money directly through Splitwise. We do integrate with PayPal and Venmo in the US, and we just integrated with Paytm for our Indian users, these allow you to make transfers to other users if you’ve connected with your bank account. We hope to continue to integrate with other payment providers in the future!

18. A couple thoughts on itemized bills

In some states, not everything is subject to sales tax (for instance, in my state of Massachusetts, groceries and clothing are not taxed). This can make itemized bills that include both taxed and non-taxed items impossible to enter in one bill. A potential fix for this would be to include a check box that appears when there is something entered in the tax percent field so that the user can choose items that are not taxed. I think it would make sense to have it be an opt out system, in which every item starts with a check box indicating…

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We plan on tweaking itemized bills in the very near future. I think the quantity idea is a good one, along with the optional tax idea. We’ll keep these in mind when reworking the UI.

19. Add support for bills recurring every n weeks (where n is a positive integer)

I can currently add weekly and fortnightly recurring bills, but not every 3 or 4 weeks.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion – this definitely makes sense! Our recurring bill system is pretty basic right now, but hopefully we’ll have a chance to spruce it up in the future. It’d be great to support more flexible kinds of bills (every 3 weeks, the last Thursday of every month, things like that).

20. allow formatting of numbers

may be useful to have a setting whereby you can change the format of the numbers, e.g. decimals, show "1000" as "1,000" etc. thanks

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base