General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Allow Generalized/Anonymous Reminders

It would be more tactful in some situations if Splitwise could send general reminders to those who haven't settled up after a few days have gone by. Or at least permit users to request the app to send a reminder of an outstanding balance without identifying the person who requested the reminder. For example:

"Hey username, don't forget to settle up your balances! You currently owe $###"

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We do have a monthly summary that goes over balances with everyone and acts as an automated reminder. We also have pre-written reminders you can send to specific people if you want to ask them to settle up.

We don’t plan to add anonymous reminders. It’s a feature that would be very difficult to build in a way that would not be open to a lot of abuse. What we might add at some point is a more general whole group reminder where you can send a reminder to the entire group that there are balances that need to be settled up. Hopefully this will help make it easier to talk about settling up in a way that feels comfortable for everyone.

Marshalll

• To enable something like you can read my text messages for expenses and push a notification to spilt of i want

This would help me spilt expenses without a fail, I will never forget if a notification is triggered as soon as I spend somewhere

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

While this would be a useful feature the ability to read text messages is not available on all platforms and many people are concerned about privacy. Far too many users would be upset at the new permission request.

• Display date with the expense item in the list

Display date with the expense item in the list

5 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! We chose not to display the date with each expense item in the list in order to reduce clutter and make the list easier to read. (We found that most users were not paying much attention to the date.) You can still see the date for any given item by clicking on it and viewing its details. Apologies for the inconvenience!

• Confirmation of settle up

Because anyone can post settle up so why dont we have a confirmation for the receiver when he receives the money

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback Romy! We are committed to keeping Splitwise ‘wiki-style’, meaning everyone can add/edit/delete things. It makes the app easier to use.

You can choose to get an email / push notification anytime someone adds a payment with you, and you can see a list of payments made (and other activity) in your ‘Recent Activity’ tab. I hope these measures will be enough to help you feel like you always know what’s going on.

Thanks for using Splitwise and best!
            Zoe

• Release Splitwise under an open-source license

Allowing others to review, modify, and redistribute the source code for this app will engage interested developers to help build, maintain, and improve the software for free. Developing in the open has tremendous benefits for both Splitwise and its users. For developers, we get some stake in the project, which encourages us to use and improve the software. For Splitwise, you get free labor, and a community built around your project that encourages people to write about it, speak about it, and advocate for it. There is really no potential for loss that I can envision in this case. Splitwise…

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Option to Personalize Amounts Formats

for example, add commas, delete cents, etc

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! I can see how this would be helpful, but the apps and website are not really built in a way that makes this reasonable to add. At some point we might handle specific currencies differently (and we currently try to respect your country settings for commas vs periods in amounts), but total customization isn’t something we plan to add.

Marshall

• On Groups left column separate the settled bills from the open bills

On Groups left column separate the settled bills from the open bills.

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We don’t really have a notion of settled bills vs open bills in the app. What we will do is if the balance in the group ever hits 0, we will hide all expenses that are before the 0 balance behind a click. We’re open to improving this functionality, but we are unlikely to add anything to mark bills as settled up.

Marshall

• Allow importing expenses from a CSV file

I am currently switching from a competitor service and I really don't want to reenter all my sharing history with my friends. A csv import would be great.
                  Also, this would be quite useful when I go on holidays: I can create a csv file offline on my phone and import it into Splitwise when I get home.

11 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    18 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We don’t currently have plans to create a CSV importer, as there’s no standard CSV format for split expenses (and creating one would be rather messy). Importing from a spreadsheet would definitely be a good feature, but not many people have asked for the ability to import, and as a small team we’ve had to prioritize other features for now. So sorry!

If you’re switching from another service, your best bet is to simply transfer over your total balances, rather than your complete expense history. First add the people you have balances with, then add an IOU with each person for your current balance (e.g. “I owe Anna $36 for past expenses”, “Fred owes me $82 for past expenses”, etc.)

• Pin/Star a particular expense for quick reference

Pin/star a particular expense which can be accessed quickly for reference later something similar to the whatsapp star message feautre.

This pinned/star expense can be accessible either specific to the group or universally on homepage.

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Add user permissions when editing/deleting bills

For example: if A adds a bill, only A should have the right to edit it or delete it.

31 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve thought about this a lot since we started Splitwise, and we think it’s important that anyone involved in an expense be allowed to edit or delete it. (We also think this is true for anyone in the same group as an expense, even if you’re not directly involved.) We don’t expect to add permissions in the near future.

You can read more about our reasoning here: http://feedback.splitwise.com/knowledgebase/articles/89944-why-can-other-people-edit-or-delete-expenses-that-

• Home budget

Hi Splitwise Team!
                        first of all, would like to congratulate you for this great app, i love how straight-forward is, its clean design and a very good UX.

I use it for trips and even to divide my life expenses with my girlfriend and housemates... but unfortunately, it falls a bit short to be able to manage my finances more thoroughly.. I've been searching for some time without any luck, for something as good as splitwise to use as my budget management app..
                        I was wondering if are you guys planning to launch / develop something along those lines? where…

2 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We have been considering adding some rudimentary expense tracking/personal budgeting to the app, but I doubt we’ll ever make something as good as Splitwise for budgeting. We’ve spent years learning how people think about splitting money and are still refining our app. I don’t think we can take on the challenge of doing this for budgeting.

Marshall

• Great idea, too many taps

Hello,

I finally found a good looking, good features' IOU app and I have to thank you. I also want to give some feedback from the few minutes I've played with it.

One has to tap to much and I feel that in these kind of things, that's not good because it starts to feel like a chore. For instance, when settling a debt a swipe should be enough.

2 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback – we definitely feel the pain of too many taps, and generally try to keep it to a minimum :) I’ll pass this on and see if it’s something we can improve in future updates.

• allow receiver to confirm payment before it reflects in splitwise

Today my friend updated that he maid a payment to me for the money he owed me. This got reflected on my dashboard, which now shows that he does not owe me any money. In this case, he transferred the money through internet banking. Before the changes get reflected on the dashboard, splitwise should ask me for confirmation whether I have received the payment. If I say yes (after checking my bank account) then only it should show on my dashboard that my friend does not owe me any money.

37 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              20 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Splitwise actually used to work this way, but we got rid of the confirmation step because people complained that it was too much of a hassle (and we agreed). We think that Splitwise becomes too difficult to use if you have to manually approve every change in your account.

Our in-between solution was email notifications. By default, you should get an email any time someone says they have paid you, and then if you wish you can double-check that they have actually given you money. (And if they haven’t, then you can delete the payment from Splitwise!) You can also see a full record of changes in your account at any time by going to the “Recent activity” screen.

Hope that makes sense! Let us know if you have questions or concerns.

• friends without email

I have a lot of people who I owe sth. or who owe me sth. where I don't know the email address / where the people don't really use email / where the people don't even have email addresses (like my grandparents) - but I still would like to keep track of the expenses and repayments we make.

My current workaround is to enter sth. like blub@blub.blub as email address in order to add "friends without email". Although this works fine (as far as I always enter another dummy email like blub2@blub.blub, blub3@blub.blub...) but I think it's not…

19 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a totally reasonable request – in fact, we actually used to support this feature in the past. Unfortunately, it caused people to send a lot fewer invites to their friends, which was bad for Splitwise. (We need lots of users – it’s one of the things that helps us keep Splitwise free!)

Sorry for the trouble! Your fake email solution is a good workaround for anyone who really wants to add people without email addresses :)

• Settle up in group

I think it would be great if, at some point in the month, maybe the end, you could just click a button to settle everyone up - aka everyone goes back to zero.

Sometimes my roommates and I decided we're all settled up and don't want to go about putting who paid who and deal with change and what not.

It would be great to just decide, "we're settled up" so that every thing went back to zero and the non-simplified version of debts could restart from scratch.

Current method for settle up in group is difficult, bcoz we have…

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I can see the utility of this, but I don’t see how to implement this without either

- adding fake payment records
                                  - just plain deleting old data

Neither of these feel acceptable to me.

Your current balance in a group is calculated as a sum of all your balances from previous expenses.

For your use case, if you’d like to wipe the slate, I’d recommending creating a new group with the same name and renaming the older group to something like _old.

• Add setting or advanced feature to decide who bears the burden of uneven divisions

May I suggest adding an "Advanced Setting" that allows the user to decide who bears the burden of uneven divisions?

The option would allow the user to choose a simple "Me" or "Them" such that if the user chose "Me" as the bearer of uneven divisions then debts would be split evenly (to the cent) over all debtors and the user would bear any leftovers from the division operation.

For example ("Me" option), if the bill is $60.01 split over 3 people (including the user), then each person should pay $20.00 but the users takes on the extra $0.01.

An…

3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

The uneven cents are randomly distributed among group members. We want to make it randomly distributed the same after an expense is updated instead of it being randomly reassigned again but we will likely not add a setting to determine this ahead of time.

• Add an option to forgive all or a specific amount owed

Would you consider adding an option to forgive under Settle Up > Choose Payment Method?

After clicking "Forgive" a user could then choose an amount to forgive or to forgive the entire existing balance owed by the debtor in context.

In my case, sometimes a bill doesn't divide evenly, other times people may repay me the amount owed but miss by one cent. in both cases I end up with stray balances of $0.01 (owed to me). It would be nice if I could simply forgive said balances instead of having to adjust the bill or the amount that was…

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Settling bills with multi group friends

When settling bills with a friend who is in multiple group, if exact amount is paid, the payment is divided and both the groups are settled. But if the amount paid is not exact, there should be some mechanism to settle the groups.
                                      Suggestion
                                      After paying a certain amount , the group with maximum due amount should be settled first followed by group with next highest due and so on.

6 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi there,

I think I understand the suggestion, and thanks for your thoughts, but this solution would be very to build and even more complex to explain/design a UI for.

Settle All Balances is already very confusing even when a payment cancels everything exactly, so we’re not likely to double down on this approach. I apologize but I’m going to decline your request.

As a good work-around for now, I recommend you manually record one payment as two separate payments if you have strong preferences about how a partial payment should be allocated across groups.

Best,
                                        Jon

• Remove contact list in individual expenses

It would be great if adding friend to an expense an option rather than the first thing you see for "non-group expenses" given that this category is for personal expenses.

2 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! Non-group expenses is actually intended for expenses with friends that are not included in a group (many people split expenses without using groups). If you’re just tracking your own expenses, I would recommend creating a group called Personal with yourself as the only member and track the expenses in there.

Marshall

• Use historical exchange rate data (via google or forex api perhaps) per date for currency conversion

Instead of using the current financial exchange rate for all currency conversion, couldn't you query the historical rate at which a transaction date has been set in Splitwise, in order to convert each Splitwise transaction according to its historical exchange rate?

Fluctuating exchange rates for long outstanding groups (e.g. vacations with multi-country/multi-currency roadtrips) force me to use Excel/Spreadsheets to do currency conversion with historically accurate exchange rates. Not having this feature either means paying a sum of settlement that either does not reflect the historical price payed, or forces me to use another program for currency conversion.

Would be nice…

5 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! I definitely see how this makes sense, but we’re unlikely to add historical exchange rates as a feature in the near future.

There are a lot of edge cases like this in currency conversion – for example, if we did implement historical rates, should we use the rate from the day that the expense was added, or the rate from the day that the expense is dated? However, most people aren’t looking for that level of detail, and we think it’s important to keep Splitwise simple as much as possible. That’s why we show the current exchange rate, and then convert all expenses at that rate. It makes currency conversion easier to understand, and we actually found that it’s what most people expect to happen anyway :)

If you’d like a more precise conversion on an expense-by-expense basis, your best bet is probably to export to…

← Previous 1 3 4 5 16 17
                                          • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base