Skip to content

General

376 results found

1. allow users to make payments with Dwolla!

It would be awesome if users could make payments with Dwolla. One of my roommates doesn't like to use Paypal for ethical reasons, and I'm starting to agree. Dwolla is cheaper, anyway. I would be thrilled if I could use it to make and receive payments.

360 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. allow receiver to confirm payment before it reflects in splitwise

Today my friend updated that he maid a payment to me for the money he owed me. This got reflected on my dashboard, which now shows that he does not owe me any money. In this case, he transferred the money through internet banking. Before the changes get reflected on the dashboard, splitwise should ask me for confirmation whether I have received the payment. If I say yes (after checking my bank account) then only it should show on my dashboard that my friend does not owe me any money.

71 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Splitwise actually used to work this way, but we got rid of the confirmation step because people complained that it was too much of a hassle (and we agreed). We think that Splitwise becomes too difficult to use if you have to manually approve every change in your account.

Our in-between solution was email notifications. By default, you should get an email any time someone says they have paid you, and then if you wish you can double-check that they have actually given you money. (And if they haven’t, then you can delete the payment from Splitwise!) You can also see a full record of changes in your account at any time by going to the “Recent activity” screen.

Hope that makes sense! Let us know if you have questions or concerns.

3. Add user permissions when editing/deleting bills

For example: if A adds a bill, only A should have the right to edit it or delete it.

47 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve thought about this a lot since we started Splitwise, and we think it’s important that anyone involved in an expense be allowed to edit or delete it. (We also think this is true for anyone in the same group as an expense, even if you’re not directly involved.) We don’t expect to add permissions in the near future.

You can read more about our reasoning here: http://feedback.splitwise.com/knowledgebase/articles/89944-why-can-other-people-edit-or-delete-expenses-that-

4. Each time i need to set the option " Hide Items not involving me ". It would be better made this option as part of account setting.

Each time when i log in to spliwise, i need to set the option " Hide Items not involving me ". It would be better made this option as part of account setting. So it would be more user friendly.

42 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We haven’t had a lot of momentum around this request. We’ve decided that it ultimately doesn’t look like something we’ll be adding. Apologies for any inconvenience!

5. Confirmation of settle up

Because anyone can post settle up so why dont we have a confirmation for the receiver when he receives the money

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    19 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback Romy! We are committed to keeping Splitwise ‘wiki-style’, meaning everyone can add/edit/delete things. It makes the app easier to use.

You can choose to get an email / push notification anytime someone adds a payment with you, and you can see a list of payments made (and other activity) in your ‘Recent Activity’ tab. I hope these measures will be enough to help you feel like you always know what’s going on.

Thanks for using Splitwise and best!
    Zoe

6. Add a way to delete items / Delete history

It would be better if you add the functionality to:

1. Delete multiple items from the group
    2. Delete items on the monthly basis from the group
    3. Delete History (Clear history)
    27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

We’ve started adding functionality to the web that will hide expenses whenever a group or friendship hits an overall balance of $0. We’ll likely bring this to the iPhone and Android. We do not plan to add any mass-deletion functionality.

Marshall

7. Require users to approve expenses they are involved with

When one person in a group adds an expense, the other members of that group should have to manually approve the expense before it is added to their balance.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve considered this feature before and decided against adding it. For many users, this might be a hassle: we would clog their email inbox with unnecessary messages asking for confirmation. We also think this would make balances more confusing, as it might be difficult to figure out which bills are “confirmed” and count towards the balance and which bills are still “unconfirmed”.

8. Disable Simplify Debt on a per item basis

Option to exclude items when simplify debt is on in a group

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We received some follow-up separately, and it sounds like the original use case was to be able to settle up a specific expense separately and still have Simplify debts work for the rest of the group.

In this case, you can always use the Settle up button in the group to record a payment between any group members equal to the amount owed on the specific expense. These payments will then be included in the Simplify debts algorithm and the balances will work out correctly.

If this is not what you were looking for, please send us a note at support@splitwise.com

9. Settle up should have Accept or Reject

If someone settles up. It should allow you to accept before the payment is recorded as settled.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion – we’ve tried this approach in the past and found it didn’t work well. If you’d like to reject a payment by someone else, we’ve found it’s just as easy to delete it.

Best,
    Jon

10. Backup

Provide an option to create a backup of all entries of all friends and groups at one click in spreadsheet form.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

We don’t plan to bring a more comprehensive CSV export for Splitwise. If you’re looking for a total backup of your account, Splitwise Pro (in your web account settings) has an option to download a complete copy of your data from Splitwise.

11. group admin

I share expenses with some friends. We divided the big group in some subgroups (for example "dinner out", "gifts" etc) because not all the people participate in all expenses.
    I usually check that everything in right.
    Now i would like to quit a group.
    Is there a possibility that i can still view expenses and modify if needed even if i'm not involved?
    thank you

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

No, sorry. Group administration is a tough feature to build a good experience around and a simple permission system (members of the group can view and delete expenses) is the best way we’ve found to handle things.

Best,
    Jon

12. Settle Up Option for Receiver only

For any group expense, the "Settle Up" option should be allowed only to the receiver of that amount. In a group, this option creates confusion at times because the payer and receiver both can settle up simultaneously.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We think it’s pretty important that either the payer or the receiver can add a payment to Splitwise, as we’ve found that people use both methods quite frequently.

However, we do hope to add better support for preventing duplicate payments in the future – i.e. if you and a friend both add payments for the same amounts within a few minutes of each other, we could potentially show you a warning when you try to add the second payment.

13. 14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Splitwise actually used to work this way, but we got rid of the confirmation step because people complained that it was too much of a hassle.

Our in-between solution was email notifications. By default, you should get an email any time someone says they have paid you, and then if you wish you can double-check that they have actually given you money. (And if they haven’t, then you can delete the payment from Splitwise!) You can also see a full record of changes in your account at any time by going to the “Recent activity” screen.

Hope that makes sense! Let us know if you have questions or concerns.

Marshall

14. Have list-sorting options for the "Groups" list in the lefthand sidebar

My housemates and I create a new group each month to split expenses. It would be easier to locate the right group in the list if we could choose to sort by "recently created". Or, if we could reverse the alphabetical order, then we could start the group name with the number of the month, and the current month would rise to the top :)

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! We don’t plan to add support for custom sorting, but groups that have been settled for more than 30 days should automatically be hidden from your list of groups. Hopefully that helps cut down the length of your list a bit!

Also, can I ask why you create a new group every month for expenses? Most Splitwise users just use one group on an ongoing basis, since it lets them keep a history of all their spending in one place. (It also lets them use features like recurring bills, as well as debt simplification w/ many expenses.) I’d love to better understand how you’re using Splitwise, so I can pass on that feedback :)

15. Allow importing expenses from a CSV file

I am currently switching from a competitor service and I really don't want to reenter all my sharing history with my friends. A csv import would be great.
    Also, this would be quite useful when I go on holidays: I can create a csv file offline on my phone and import it into Splitwise when I get home.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We don’t currently have plans to create a CSV importer, as there’s no standard CSV format for split expenses (and creating one would be rather messy). Importing from a spreadsheet would definitely be a good feature, but not many people have asked for the ability to import, and as a small team we’ve had to prioritize other features for now. So sorry!

If you’re switching from another service, your best bet is to simply transfer over your total balances, rather than your complete expense history. First add the people you have balances with, then add an IOU with each person for your current balance (e.g. “I owe Anna $36 for past expenses”, “Fred owes me $82 for past expenses”, etc.)

16. add splitwise wallet option for payments

like paytm wallet freecharge etc wallet add splitwise wallet for payments

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey there,

We’re a really small team and while having our own wallet is tempting, it is not in our roadmap for the near future. We’d rather focus on integrating support for your existing wallets into Splitwise.

17. Themes

Giving the possibility to change interface colours and theme could be a nice feature!
    Thank you for your hard work

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We’re a really small team, so we have to be very focused on what we work on. Themes wouldn’t really change how easy it is to use our app, so it’s unfortunately not something we can spend time on at the moment.

Marshall

18. Display date with the expense item in the list

Display date with the expense item in the list

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! We chose not to display the date with each expense item in the list in order to reduce clutter and make the list easier to read. (We found that most users were not paying much attention to the date.) You can still see the date for any given item by clicking on it and viewing its details. Apologies for the inconvenience!

19. Shopping list (checklist)

Hi guys!

We use Splitwise for traveling and household issues.

For our household group we miss a shopping list, where we can write down what we need to buy for our house. This way all members can enter to the list when they are out for shopping and buy the stuff needed.

This feature would incluse a checkbox that can be marked when the product is bought. At the time you mark the checkbox, an "Add new bill" screen could be shown to add the new bill.

We talked about it at home and we would find it very useful…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We do think this is a useful thing for housemates, but we’re planning to keep working on just the splitting side of things for the foreseeable future. We would be open to working with existing shared list apps to work on something like this.

Marshall

20. Making certain expenses be private or invisible for people within groups

We are a group of friends that share expenses on parties and presents. Not seeing items not involved in would make it possible to handle presents in SplitWise and thus migrating our data to here...

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We’ve committed to keeping all expenses visible in groups so any member can do the math themselves and add up the amounts. If you really want a private expense, add it outside the group.

Marshall

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base