General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Use historical exchange rate data (via google or forex api perhaps) per date for currency conversion

Instead of using the current financial exchange rate for all currency conversion, couldn't you query the historical rate at which a transaction date has been set in Splitwise, in order to convert each Splitwise transaction according to its historical exchange rate?

Fluctuating exchange rates for long outstanding groups (e.g. vacations with multi-country/multi-currency roadtrips) force me to use Excel/Spreadsheets to do currency conversion with historically accurate exchange rates. Not having this feature either means paying a sum of settlement that either does not reflect the historical price payed, or forces me to use another program for currency conversion.

Would be nice…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! I definitely see how this makes sense, but we’re unlikely to add historical exchange rates as a feature in the near future.

There are a lot of edge cases like this in currency conversion – for example, if we did implement historical rates, should we use the rate from the day that the expense was added, or the rate from the day that the expense is dated? However, most people aren’t looking for that level of detail, and we think it’s important to keep Splitwise simple as much as possible. That’s why we show the current exchange rate, and then convert all expenses at that rate. It makes currency conversion easier to understand, and we actually found that it’s what most people expect to happen anyway :)

If you’d like a more precise conversion on an expense-by-expense basis, your best bet is probably to export to…

• Add an option to forgive all or a specific amount owed

Would you consider adding an option to forgive under Settle Up > Choose Payment Method?

After clicking "Forgive" a user could then choose an amount to forgive or to forgive the entire existing balance owed by the debtor in context.

In my case, sometimes a bill doesn't divide evenly, other times people may repay me the amount owed but miss by one cent. in both cases I end up with stray balances of $0.01 (owed to me). It would be nice if I could simply forgive said balances instead of having to adjust the bill or the amount that was…

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Création de nouvelles catégories

Pouvez vous créer la catégorie enfant avec sous catégories: nounou, cantine, sports, musique, colonie, périscolaire

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Merci pour la suggestion! Nous allons considérer cela la prochaine fois que nous mettrons à jour notre liste de catégories. Pour l’instant, je suggère de créer un groupe spécifiquement pour les dépenses liées aux enfants, et je pense que vous verrez déjà certaines de ces catégories, telles que les sports et la musique sous “Divertissement”.

Traduction par Google.

• 4 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Splitwise actually used to work this way, but we got rid of the confirmation step because people complained that it was too much of a hassle.

Our in-between solution was email notifications. By default, you should get an email any time someone says they have paid you, and then if you wish you can double-check that they have actually given you money. (And if they haven’t, then you can delete the payment from Splitwise!) You can also see a full record of changes in your account at any time by going to the “Recent activity” screen.

Hope that makes sense! Let us know if you have questions or concerns.

Marshall

• IOUs to people with out email or phone number

Whilst I understand the rationale of entering email ID / phone number for your friend on splitwise, there are cases where you meet a bunch of friends + one random person. In this case, I am sure to onboard all my friends to splitwise, however because I can't add a person (that I barely know) without email ID, I cannot spit the bill easily. I now need to calculate the bill outside splitwise and create entries per splitwise contact

3 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a totally reasonable request. We used to support this, but found that is caused a lot more problems than it solved. If you really need to do this, you can add a friend as anything@example.com and it will let you create a dummy account (any prefix at the @example.com suffix will create an account without a real email address).

Marshall

• Add a small edit. Where we can add friends' photos on their profile

I would like to see at a glance which friends I'm splitting bills with. So instead of a generic icon of a person, I'd like to add a pic of theirs to their profile

2 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

I can see how this might be useful, but Splitwise is designed to be used with everyone on the same page, i.e all your friends should be able to sign up on Splitwise and see their balance with you. That is why only your friends can change their own name and profile picture on Splitwise, since it is a part of their profile.

• have a app that splits up typical house chores evenly!

You should have a section of your site dedicated to splitting up typical chores between housemates!!

4 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update: We’ve decided dealing with more than just money will add too much clutter and confusion to our app, so will probably not do this.

This is a really neat idea, though I’m not sure how one would be able to put an actual money amount on different chores globally. Chores have different values for people depending on how much they like/hate that task.

We’ve talked about this in the past, and it may be something we decide we’d like to peruse in the future.

• Include 'settled up' status updates in the group timeline. e.g. 'user xxxx is settled up as of xx/xx/xxxx'

Sometimes in the group activity, if there are multiple people (for example roommates) paying a single renter in the same house, the list of payments and bills can get pretty confusing. And when cash payments are recorded instead of the in-app payment system, it's not always easy to determine (or prove) that a user was all paid up before the latest bills were added. so if, in the timeline of activity, when a user makes payment in full and is considered 'settled up', it would be nice to have it reflected in that same timeline WITH a date stamp. this…

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey, thanks for the feedback! We do need to do a better of explaining why you owe what you owe. We have some other ideas for explaining where your totals are coming from that should help with this problem, but I’m not sure when they will be available.

• Link accounts with popular eWallets (e.g. Paytm) so that settling of expenses can happen immediately and with ease.

Link accounts with popular eWallets (e.g. Paytm) so that settling of expenses can happen immediately and with ease. Provide the option of settling via eWallet or cash. Linking of bank accounts might raise security concerns but people are alot more comfortable with eWallets. For necessary Authorization you can redirect to the eWallets app/webpage (similar to what alot of other apps do).

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey, thanks for the feedback! We have a lot of ideas for different payment options, please go vote for the one’s that you want, or submit a new idea if we don’t have the payment option you’re looking for.

• If not everyone in the group owes for the bill, it should be "split equally with # people"

Currently, if I add a bill that's split equally between only some of the people, it still says "split equally". It should be more clear - split equally with x persons.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Add 'My share' view

Currently the expense detailed are itemized either 'You borrowed' or 'You lent'. Suggest to add a view of 'My share' to see how much I spent in a group on an itemized level (I see there is a Group Total function to see in aggregate only). Thanks.

2 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! I don’t think we will add an itemized share amount to the app, though we will probably add a month-to-month breakdown by expense category at some point to the mobile apps (we have this under trends on the website now).

Marshall

• Add privacy options for payments. for eg: if a group contains A, B & C. a split is added between A&B then C shouldnt be able to see it.

this checkbox option can be made optional while adding the bill, the payer can check the checkbox if he feels 'not involved' users need not see the split. this will save unnecessary temporary duplicate groups.

0 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Unfortunately, we don’t have plans to support custom privacy settings like this on an expense-by-expense basis, as we think it makes it too complicated to understand who has access to what.

If you’d like to add a single expense that is only visible to the people participating directly in the expense, then you should try adding a “non-group” expense, which does not belong to any particular group. These expenses are only visible to the people involved. Non-group expenses are intended as a way to add expenses and payments with lots of random people, without needing to create a new group every time.

• Provide an option to merge expenses across groups

Hi,

If I am sharing expenses with few friends in one group, and all of us are part of another bigger group too, then there should be an option to transfer the balances from the smaller group to bigger group and closing the smaller group.

Best,

6 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If one group is a subset of a bigger group, and you feel comfortable letting the larger group see the smaller group’s expenses/balances, you can move the expenses into the larger group by clicking “edit” on each expense and then changing the group it is filed under. This will move each expense one by one into the larger group.

Unfortunately, we don’t have an automated way to do this right now, but we’ll keep that in mind as a possible improvement for the future. In the meantime, our apologies for the inconvenience!

• Add Objects

I started planning to build a startup until I saw your app. So, I guess thanks for being really awesome before me!

I'm about to graduate college and I'm realizing that I'm missing many of my things (I loan a lot out). Now, I'm about to not see people for a long time and will probably lose many books. Being able to keep track of some of my objects that I loan out in the same place as my monetary transactions would be coolio.

Thanks,
                              Andrew

6 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Andrew – glad we could help! :) Unfortunately, we probably won’t be adding object-tracking to Splitwise. We’ve thought about it before, and previously we decided that it would complicate the interface too much. We’d rather have Splitwise handle just one thing (money) and handle it super-well.

Hope that makes sense – sorry!

• Allow creation of expenses where "you" are not involved

There are some instances where I want to create a transaction (that I am not involved in) between 2 other people in a group.

Right now, when I click "Add bill", "you" is one of the defaults and there is no way to remove myself from the transaction until after I actually save it or by going in and setting my part of the transaction to $0.

The other workaround to this is to use the quick add feature to add the expense between the 2 people i.e. "John owes Bill $2 for lunch" but it seems like this should…

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! Most people add do not add expenses like this and including this kind of change would probably make it harder to add expenses in that do involve you. Given that there is a workaround to remove yourself from the bill while you are adding it (even if it is a few extra taps), we don’t plan to add any more optimization for this case.

I’m a little confused in when you would need to save the expense before you could remove yourself. For both adding and editing an expense, you should be able to change the payer to someone else and open the split options to remove yourself from the split.

Marshall

• More Payment Methods?

Hi,

I was curious if Splitwise would be looking into adding more payment methods to their mobile and web platforms. Venmo and PayPal are really popular, but I have friends who aren't all on the same page, plus there's a disconnect with my parent's older generation.

Expanding to use Google Wallet/Android Pay apps or clearXchange network payments for banks (like Chase QuickPay) would definitely go a long way.

You're already half way there with Google sign-in!

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We do look at adding new payment integrations when they’re popular and have support for our kind of use (at the moment, neither Google Waller not Chase QuickPay offer integration support we could use).

I’m declining this because we have a number of open feature requests for specific payment integrations. Please go vote for or comment on the individual integrations you would be interested in using! I know you listed them here, but it’s important for us to track each integration request separately.

Marshall

• Add popular banking/wallet links

Redirect to banking/wallet When you hit settleup . Else THE BEST one would be have your own wallet.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We do look at adding new payment integrations when they’re popular and have support for our kind of use. I’m declining this because we have a number of open feature requests for specific payment integrations. Please go vote for or comment on the specific integrations you would be interested in using!

Marshall

• Track advance payment

Mi idea is of tracking advance payment, for example:

I have a subscription of 10€ each month that I paid, we are in five people so we have to pay 2€ each. If a person give me 10€ for the next five months it indicates me that I have to give me 8€.

I think it could be useful instead indicates that this payment is for the next month, so it doesn't display that I have to give money but that he gives in advance for the next recurrings payment.

Hope I explained well

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion. We’ve had some similar requests for “future” expenses and payments, but we don’t plan to include expenses in our system that are not included in the total balances. We don’t think we can make it clear enough why your balances don’t line up with your expenses with this kind of feature.

Marshall

• 1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Require users to approve expenses they are involved with

When one person in a group adds an expense, the other members of that group should have to manually approve the expense before it is added to their balance.

6 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve considered this feature before and decided against adding it. For many users, this might be a hassle: we would clog their email inbox with unnecessary messages asking for confirmation. We also think this would make balances more confusing, as it might be difficult to figure out which bills are “confirmed” and count towards the balance and which bills are still “unconfirmed”.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18
                                          • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base