General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Shopping list (checklist)

Hi guys!

We use Splitwise for traveling and household issues.

For our household group we miss a shopping list, where we can write down what we need to buy for our house. This way all members can enter to the list when they are out for shopping and buy the stuff needed.

This feature would incluse a checkbox that can be marked when the product is bought. At the time you mark the checkbox, an "Add new bill" screen could be shown to add the new bill.

We talked about it at home and we would find it very useful…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We do think this is a useful thing for housemates, but we’re planning to keep working on just the splitting side of things for the foreseeable future. We would be open to working with existing shared list apps to work on something like this.

Marshall

• 5 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Splitwise is all about everyone being on the same page. We firmly believe that anyone with bills in our system should be able to look them up and see how much they owe. We do not plan to add this. We do allow dummy users that are not attached to emails in groups in the occasional case where all but one person in an apartment has agreed to use splitwise, but you still need to split things with that person.

Marshall

• Display not involved payments or setlled up payments also

Instead of clicking and checking the setlled up bills, just display the not involved payments or setlled up payments as is. It will be less confusing when more is summarised on the page.

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for writing in with your suggestion. I don’t think this is something we will do. We find hiding settled up expenses reduces clutter and confusion, and as you note, you can always click to show settled bills. Apologies for any inconvenience!

• Only Lent Person should be able to Settle Up from his account

When the bills are settled up, it should be done from the person who lent the money and not from the person who owes the money coz this may lead to fraud settlement

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We built Splitwise with the intention of keeping everyone on the same page with shared expenses, so anyone can add, edit, or record payments. There is a record of all of this kept in Recent Activity, so if there is a dispute, you can always reference the Recent Activity page. You also have the ability to delete the payment even if it was not recorded by you.

• Change the group Icon

its confusing to have the home icon for groups. It would be better if you use a picture with multiple people.

4 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In user testing, using an icon with multiple people is more confusing than the current icon. We do plan to change this icon with our next major release to something less house specific.

Marshall

• bring back the old quick add!

My roommates and I love splitwise! My only concern is your new layout. The quick-add used to be really good and quick. Now that its not right up front and you have to click on something else to get to it, its a lot less quick of an add. Also with the app it was really convenient that you could just press enter to do the quick add but now its just a search button. The only other thing is that we thought it was better when the people in the group were on top of the page instead of…

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m sorry you miss the old quick-add (I do too!), but we actually found that most people never used it. We decided that hiding it beneath a click was a reasonable compromise – it’s only one click away for the people who do use it, but it’s easy to ignore if it’s not a feature you’re interested in.

I’ll pass on your other comments as well – we know the 3-column layout is very new, and there are probably tweaks and improvements that can be made. Thanks for all the feedback! :)

• 1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for writing in with this suggestion! This isn’t something we plan on adding. We generally think of comments like text messages, where once sent they can’t be unsent.

• Edit Simplify Debt partners

Lets say in a group, X owes me 200$ , Y owes me 200$ and I owe 200$ to Z. The total i get back is 200$. Lets say simplify debts considering several other transactions shows that X should pay 200$ to me. But i'd prefer taking it from Y as we are close friends and im not comfortable dealing with X. My suggestion is to Allow me to choose who pays me and likewise everyone does and overall the comfort of the transactions increases.

6 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey there! We don’t currently plan to add an actual feature for this, but “simplify debts” is smart enough to adjust if you decide to pay someone different. For example, if Splitwise says you should pay person X but you decide to pay person Y instead, then your group’s debts will automatically be recalculated and adjusted to include your new payment. Hope that helps!

• Add bill without myself

Sometimes, I want to add a bill for my friends even though I am not included.

2 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m sorry for the trouble! We don’t allow this in general because we feel it would be potentially invasive. If you want to add expenses without being involved, you will need to create a group and add everyone to it. If you’re in a group, you can add expenses without being involved.

It sounds like you might be in a group use case already if you want this feature. Please email support@splitwise.com if you’d like help getting set up and moving existing expense into a group.

Marshall

• Provide an option to merge expenses across groups

Hi,

If I am sharing expenses with few friends in one group, and all of us are part of another bigger group too, then there should be an option to transfer the balances from the smaller group to bigger group and closing the smaller group.

Best,

7 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If one group is a subset of a bigger group, and you feel comfortable letting the larger group see the smaller group’s expenses/balances, you can move the expenses into the larger group by clicking “edit” on each expense and then changing the group it is filed under. This will move each expense one by one into the larger group.

Unfortunately, we don’t have an automated way to do this right now, but we’ll keep that in mind as a possible improvement for the future. In the meantime, our apologies for the inconvenience!

• Confirmation of settle up

Because anyone can post settle up so why dont we have a confirmation for the receiver when he receives the money

9 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          4 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback Romy! We are committed to keeping Splitwise ‘wiki-style’, meaning everyone can add/edit/delete things. It makes the app easier to use.

You can choose to get an email / push notification anytime someone adds a payment with you, and you can see a list of payments made (and other activity) in your ‘Recent Activity’ tab. I hope these measures will be enough to help you feel like you always know what’s going on.

Thanks for using Splitwise and best!
                          Zoe

• Keep track of debt w/o inviting friend

I'd like the ability to keep track of debts without inviting the other person. Examples of this would be me borrowing money from say my grandparents (who don't even have a computer). This would be useful as I could then have a broad overview of both money owed to me and money I owe on my dashboard and I'd be able to have a "record" of payments.

6 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Barrett – we do allow this in groups, but we’ve decided not to allow it in friendships. Friend invites are a core part of how we grow as a site, so for better or for worse an email address is required. Sorry! Thanks for the suggestion, and let us know if you have any other thoughts or suggestions.

• Add popular banking/wallet links

Redirect to banking/wallet When you hit settleup . Else THE BEST one would be have your own wallet.

2 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We do look at adding new payment integrations when they’re popular and have support for our kind of use. I’m declining this because we have a number of open feature requests for specific payment integrations. Please go vote for or comment on the specific integrations you would be interested in using!

Marshall

• group admin

I share expenses with some friends. We divided the big group in some subgroups (for example "dinner out", "gifts" etc) because not all the people participate in all expenses.
                              I usually check that everything in right.
                              Now i would like to quit a group.
                              Is there a possibility that i can still view expenses and modify if needed even if i'm not involved?
                              thank you

13 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

No, sorry. Group administration is a tough feature to build a good experience around and a simple permission system (members of the group can view and delete expenses) is the best way we’ve found to handle things.

Best,
                                Jon

• Have certain groups within groups

We went on a trip from different parts of India and 2 to 3 people were from same state. They want to get it settled combined from their side to other people on the trip and want a separate internal expense list so that they could settle it within their group. I would recommend you to add this feature for more functionality.

4 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the interesting idea, but groups are confusing enough so I can’t see us ever doing this. But I understand the use case and we’ll continue to think about how to handle that case simply or elegantly.

• Allow importing expenses from a CSV file

I am currently switching from a competitor service and I really don't want to reenter all my sharing history with my friends. A csv import would be great.
                                  Also, this would be quite useful when I go on holidays: I can create a csv file offline on my phone and import it into Splitwise when I get home.

11 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    20 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We don’t currently have plans to create a CSV importer, as there’s no standard CSV format for split expenses (and creating one would be rather messy). Importing from a spreadsheet would definitely be a good feature, but not many people have asked for the ability to import, and as a small team we’ve had to prioritize other features for now. So sorry!

If you’re switching from another service, your best bet is to simply transfer over your total balances, rather than your complete expense history. First add the people you have balances with, then add an IOU with each person for your current balance (e.g. “I owe Anna $36 for past expenses”, “Fred owes me $82 for past expenses”, etc.)

• Groups with hidden expenses

Have an option in groups whereby all expenses in the group are only visible to those involved in an expense. I'm specifically thinking of making a group where I can note down presents, and I'd like to call this group "Presents".

In it, I'd keep track of all previous presents - but as the people I share with begin to use Splitwise, they'd also be able to view the expenses for others in the group - which isn't always so good as they may know each other.

4 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

One of the most important features we intend to keep in Splitwise is to allow users to always be able to check the math on any amount that they owe. Hiding expenses in groups would either interfere with this or with some of our other features.

You can create an expense with multiple people outside of a group (just add all the participants in the With: field of the expense). These expenses are only visible to the participants, so will not be seen by the recipient of the gift.

Marshall

• Subgroups

Can you implement something like subgroups? Suppose we have a flatmates group but want to maintain a history of what all was spent in a particular trip. That will be convenient in a bigger scenario where we have many office colleagues in a group but went on a trip with only few of them. If we want to add multiple bills, this will be convenient.

4 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately, we think this would overcomplicate Splitwise, and we’re not likely to add it in the near future.

For any specific applications such as trips, if you have a subset/different set of people from an existing group, our current recommendation is to create a separate group. Your total balances will each friend will reflect the combined totals from both groups.

• allow receiver to confirm payment before it reflects in splitwise

Today my friend updated that he maid a payment to me for the money he owed me. This got reflected on my dashboard, which now shows that he does not owe me any money. In this case, he transferred the money through internet banking. Before the changes get reflected on the dashboard, splitwise should ask me for confirmation whether I have received the payment. If I say yes (after checking my bank account) then only it should show on my dashboard that my friend does not owe me any money.

41 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          23 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Splitwise actually used to work this way, but we got rid of the confirmation step because people complained that it was too much of a hassle (and we agreed). We think that Splitwise becomes too difficult to use if you have to manually approve every change in your account.

Our in-between solution was email notifications. By default, you should get an email any time someone says they have paid you, and then if you wish you can double-check that they have actually given you money. (And if they haven’t, then you can delete the payment from Splitwise!) You can also see a full record of changes in your account at any time by going to the “Recent activity” screen.

Hope that makes sense! Let us know if you have questions or concerns.

• 2 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! PayPal doesn’t currently allow us to make payments outside of the US, so I’m afraid we’re unable to offer this feature right now. We hope this will change in the future!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
                                          • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base