General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. allow users to make payments with Dwolla!

It would be awesome if users could make payments with Dwolla. One of my roommates doesn't like to use Paypal for ethical reasons, and I'm starting to agree. Dwolla is cheaper, anyway. I would be thrilled if I could use it to make and receive payments.

360 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • allow receiver to confirm payment before it reflects in splitwise

Today my friend updated that he maid a payment to me for the money he owed me. This got reflected on my dashboard, which now shows that he does not owe me any money. In this case, he transferred the money through internet banking. Before the changes get reflected on the dashboard, splitwise should ask me for confirmation whether I have received the payment. If I say yes (after checking my bank account) then only it should show on my dashboard that my friend does not owe me any money.

63 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        36 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Splitwise actually used to work this way, but we got rid of the confirmation step because people complained that it was too much of a hassle (and we agreed). We think that Splitwise becomes too difficult to use if you have to manually approve every change in your account.

Our in-between solution was email notifications. By default, you should get an email any time someone says they have paid you, and then if you wish you can double-check that they have actually given you money. (And if they haven’t, then you can delete the payment from Splitwise!) You can also see a full record of changes in your account at any time by going to the “Recent activity” screen.

Hope that makes sense! Let us know if you have questions or concerns.

• Each time i need to set the option " Hide Items not involving me ". It would be better made this option as part of account setting.

Each time when i log in to spliwise, i need to set the option " Hide Items not involving me ". It would be better made this option as part of account setting. So it would be more user friendly.

42 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add user permissions when editing/deleting bills

For example: if A adds a bill, only A should have the right to edit it or delete it.

41 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            24 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve thought about this a lot since we started Splitwise, and we think it’s important that anyone involved in an expense be allowed to edit or delete it. (We also think this is true for anyone in the same group as an expense, even if you’re not directly involved.) We don’t expect to add permissions in the near future.

You can read more about our reasoning here: http://feedback.splitwise.com/knowledgebase/articles/89944-why-can-other-people-edit-or-delete-expenses-that-

• Disable Simplify Debt on a per item basis

Option to exclude items when simplify debt is on in a group

16 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We received some follow-up separately, and it sounds like the original use case was to be able to settle up a specific expense separately and still have Simplify debts work for the rest of the group.

In this case, you can always use the Settle up button in the group to record a payment between any group members equal to the amount owed on the specific expense. These payments will then be included in the Simplify debts algorithm and the balances will work out correctly.

If this is not what you were looking for, please send us a note at support@splitwise.com

• Confirmation of settle up

Because anyone can post settle up so why dont we have a confirmation for the receiver when he receives the money

14 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                8 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback Romy! We are committed to keeping Splitwise ‘wiki-style’, meaning everyone can add/edit/delete things. It makes the app easier to use.

You can choose to get an email / push notification anytime someone adds a payment with you, and you can see a list of payments made (and other activity) in your ‘Recent Activity’ tab. I hope these measures will be enough to help you feel like you always know what’s going on.

Thanks for using Splitwise and best!
                Zoe

• group admin

I share expenses with some friends. We divided the big group in some subgroups (for example "dinner out", "gifts" etc) because not all the people participate in all expenses.
                I usually check that everything in right.
                Now i would like to quit a group.
                Is there a possibility that i can still view expenses and modify if needed even if i'm not involved?
                thank you

13 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

No, sorry. Group administration is a tough feature to build a good experience around and a simple permission system (members of the group can view and delete expenses) is the best way we’ve found to handle things.

Best,
                  Jon

• Require users to approve expenses they are involved with

When one person in a group adds an expense, the other members of that group should have to manually approve the expense before it is added to their balance.

12 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve considered this feature before and decided against adding it. For many users, this might be a hassle: we would clog their email inbox with unnecessary messages asking for confirmation. We also think this would make balances more confusing, as it might be difficult to figure out which bills are “confirmed” and count towards the balance and which bills are still “unconfirmed”.

• Allow importing expenses from a CSV file

I am currently switching from a competitor service and I really don't want to reenter all my sharing history with my friends. A csv import would be great.
                    Also, this would be quite useful when I go on holidays: I can create a csv file offline on my phone and import it into Splitwise when I get home.

12 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      26 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We don’t currently have plans to create a CSV importer, as there’s no standard CSV format for split expenses (and creating one would be rather messy). Importing from a spreadsheet would definitely be a good feature, but not many people have asked for the ability to import, and as a small team we’ve had to prioritize other features for now. So sorry!

If you’re switching from another service, your best bet is to simply transfer over your total balances, rather than your complete expense history. First add the people you have balances with, then add an IOU with each person for your current balance (e.g. “I owe Anna $36 for past expenses”, “Fred owes me $82 for past expenses”, etc.)

• add splitwise wallet option for payments

like paytm wallet freecharge etc wallet add splitwise wallet for payments

11 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey there,

We’re a really small team and while having our own wallet is tempting, it is not in our roadmap for the near future. We’d rather focus on integrating support for your existing wallets into Splitwise.

• Backup

Provide an option to create a backup of all entries of all friends and groups at one click in spreadsheet form.

11 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We don’t plan to bring a more comprehensive CSV export for Splitwise. If you’re looking for a total backup of your account, Splitwise Pro (in your web account settings) has an option to download a complete copy of your data from Splitwise.

• 10 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            7 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Splitwise actually used to work this way, but we got rid of the confirmation step because people complained that it was too much of a hassle.

Our in-between solution was email notifications. By default, you should get an email any time someone says they have paid you, and then if you wish you can double-check that they have actually given you money. (And if they haven’t, then you can delete the payment from Splitwise!) You can also see a full record of changes in your account at any time by going to the “Recent activity” screen.

Hope that makes sense! Let us know if you have questions or concerns.

Marshall

• Making certain expenses be private or invisible for people within groups

We are a group of friends that share expenses on parties and presents. Not seeing items not involved in would make it possible to handle presents in SplitWise and thus migrating our data to here...

10 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve committed to keeping all expenses visible in groups so any member can do the math themselves and add up the amounts. If you really want a private expense, add it outside the group.

Marshall

• Add a way to delete items / Delete history

It would be better if you add the functionality to:

1. Delete multiple items from the group
                              2. Delete items on the monthly basis from the group
                              3. Delete History (Clear history)

10 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve started adding functionality to the web that will hide expenses whenever a group or friendship hits an overall balance of $0. We’ll likely bring this to the iPhone and Android. We do not plan to add any mass-deletion functionality.

Marshall

• Create an option to have a group deadline

My friends and I love to use your service and it makes our lives much easier. However, we do consistently run into the same issue. Some people inevitably are always anxious to settle up (or be paid), while others drag quite a bit in their entering of expenses. This always ends up with having someone pay too early and there having to be multiple payments of small amounts to settle up in the end.

Due to this, I think it would be helpful if there was an option to have a group deadline. At the creation of the group, all…

10 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

This is an interesting feature but it is rather complex and would require a large amount of infrastructure (and case handling) that could be obviated by better communication and coordination between friends.

• borrowing books and other things

Is it possible to implement tracking for things that I lend out( like books, tools, etc.)? Also, some of these borrowers may not be on splitwise. I just want a tracking for myself.

9 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Settle up should have Accept or Reject

If someone settles up. It should allow you to accept before the payment is recorded as settled.

9 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      4 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion – we’ve tried this approach in the past and found it didn’t work well. If you’d like to reject a payment by someone else, we’ve found it’s just as easy to delete it.

Best,
                                      Jon

• Settle Up Option for Receiver only

For any group expense, the "Settle Up" option should be allowed only to the receiver of that amount. In a group, this option creates confusion at times because the payer and receiver both can settle up simultaneously.

8 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

We think it’s pretty important that either the payer or the receiver can add a payment to Splitwise, as we’ve found that people use both methods quite frequently.

However, we do hope to add better support for preventing duplicate payments in the future – i.e. if you and a friend both add payments for the same amounts within a few minutes of each other, we could potentially show you a warning when you try to add the second payment.

• Add an option to forgive all or a specific amount owed

Would you consider adding an option to forgive under Settle Up > Choose Payment Method?

After clicking "Forgive" a user could then choose an amount to forgive or to forgive the entire existing balance owed by the debtor in context.

In my case, sometimes a bill doesn't divide evenly, other times people may repay me the amount owed but miss by one cent. in both cases I end up with stray balances of $0.01 (owed to me). It would be nice if I could simply forgive said balances instead of having to adjust the bill or the amount that was…

8 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • away / vacation mode

I'd like a feature where you could enter the start and end date some member temporarily leaves a group (e.g. if said member is on vacation etc.). By default all expenses would be split between the remaining members during that time period.

8 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! I can definitely see how this would be useful, but unfortunately it would also add a fair bit of complexity to how managing group members works, and it seems likely to confuse other group members. (For example, say you temporarily excluded some people from expenses, but then another user logged in to add an expense, expecting that it would be split among all group members.)

For now, your best bet in this scenario is to actually remove those temporary people from your group, and then add them back again when they come back. While they’re gone, they won’t be able to access the group, but as soon as you re-add them they should have full access to everything, including any expenses from before they left. I realize that’s not a perfect solution, but I hope it helps!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
                                          • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base