General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Backup

Provide an option to create a backup of all entries of all friends and groups at one click in spreadsheet form.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We don’t plan to bring a more comprehensive CSV export for Splitwise. If you’re looking for a total backup of your account, Splitwise Pro (in your web account settings) has an option to download a complete copy of your data from Splitwise.

• Change the group Icon

its confusing to have the home icon for groups. It would be better if you use a picture with multiple people.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In user testing, using an icon with multiple people is more confusing than the current icon. We do plan to change this icon with our next major release to something less house specific.

Marshall

• New category for vacation

If you are on vacation, you have a lot of different shared expenses: flights and hotels, but also e.g. museum admissions, attractions. Right now, these stay uncategorized. It would be great to have a dedicated category for attractions or vacation.

The best solution to all these category requests would be to add a (pro?) feature to manage categories: remove those you don't need, and add new categories!

Cheers,
        Hannes

2 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion Hannes! I would expect our “Entertainment” category would cover these kinds of items right now. We might add something that lets you remove categories at some point, but we do not expect to be adding the ability to add new categories.

Cheers,
          Marshall

• 3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve tried this in the past and found that it add significantly more stress and confusion in general because most people do not want to verify payments. So you wind up with most people just having a pile of “unverified” payments stressing them out.

Marshall

• Groups with hidden expenses

Have an option in groups whereby all expenses in the group are only visible to those involved in an expense. I'm specifically thinking of making a group where I can note down presents, and I'd like to call this group "Presents".

In it, I'd keep track of all previous presents - but as the people I share with begin to use Splitwise, they'd also be able to view the expenses for others in the group - which isn't always so good as they may know each other.

3 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

One of the most important features we intend to keep in Splitwise is to allow users to always be able to check the math on any amount that they owe. Hiding expenses in groups would either interfere with this or with some of our other features.

You can create an expense with multiple people outside of a group (just add all the participants in the With: field of the expense). These expenses are only visible to the participants, so will not be seen by the recipient of the gift.

Marshall

• Each time i need to set the option " Hide Items not involving me ". It would be better made this option as part of account setting.

Each time when i log in to spliwise, i need to set the option " Hide Items not involving me ". It would be better made this option as part of account setting. So it would be more user friendly.

42 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • allow users to make payments with Dwolla!

It would be awesome if users could make payments with Dwolla. One of my roommates doesn't like to use Paypal for ethical reasons, and I'm starting to agree. Dwolla is cheaper, anyway. I would be thrilled if I could use it to make and receive payments.

360 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • 2 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble. We think it’s important to show deleted expense in ACTIVITY — I shouldn’t be able to delete an expense with you and then also delete the record of the deletion, that would be really bad! If you need any help understanding your ACTIVITY please write support@splitwise.com. Thanks!

• Make a public support forum (non-feedback oriented).

It seems the knowledge base and feedback forum are public and searchable. However I wish support questions could be asked publicly too.

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • debt simplification on mobile app

I quite liked the Debt Simplification feature on the web app. Why can't we have a similar feature on the mobile app?

2 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We support debt simplification for groups in our mobile apps (it’s under “Group settings”), but we don’t plan to add more advanced debt simplification features to mobile right now. We’ve found that more advanced versions of “simplify debt” cause a lot of confusion for most people, and that those simplifications are often really difficult to follow, especially when you’re not the one who added the simplification in the first place. Sorry for the trouble!

• Shared shopping list

It would be nice if we could share a shopping list with my roommates.

4 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! We do have a whiteboard feature in the new interface on the website that you could use for a shopping list, but we will probably not support anything more complicated than that.

Marshall

• PayPal payment issue

I have settled payment through PayPal . But transaction fee didn't mention when I did payment. The transaction amount has been debited from my card. When making Payment please show up the split up of bills. Because of this I lost around 6 dollars.

2 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately, we do not control the fees or the way the interface works when you make a PayPal payment. These are both handled by PayPal and not something we can change. We do have a generic warning about fees on the payment option page, but can’t tell if you’re going to have any or not.

Marshall

• Simplify debts giving expense details

Currently the simply debts does not clearly state what Math took place behind the scenes. It simply reports a transaction "Simplify debts". It would be helpful to display that in the "Notes" section of a transaction.

If X owes Y 10, Y owes Z 10 and Z owes X 10, in a simplify debts among these three users, the amounts that each user owed each other must be added to the notes section. Currently today it would report something like "X paid Z 10", Y paid Z 10, Z paid X 10, which is not totally accurate as a transaction…

2 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve debated this issue a lot, and the reason we don’t save complete details in the notes of a debt shuffle is because of privacy concerns. Say you’re person X in your scenario – we feel pretty strongly that you shouldn’t be able to see the details of a transaction between Y and Z that doesn’t involve you. Neither of those people has given you permission to see their financial info, and to include full details about the shuffle would reveal that Y owes Z (or vice versa).

It’s definitely an annoying problem – it makes simplify debts a “black box”, where you can’t see all the transactions involved – but we think that’s better than the potential privacy concerns of exposing people’s information. That’s also why simplify debts is considered an “Advanced feature”, and is not intended for most users.

• Settling balances

The notification you receive after settling balances with a friend in a group is odd at times.

The notification shows settled all balances for transactions within a common group. If you had other transactions with that person, this number is often not the same.

Instead of showing balance from just groups it would be great if the notification showed the exact balance between the two people who settled.

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for writing in with this suggestion! I think this might cause some confusion for a lot of our users who track a lot of group and non-group expenses. I’m sorry for the inconvenience!

• Keep track of debt w/o inviting friend

I'd like the ability to keep track of debts without inviting the other person. Examples of this would be me borrowing money from say my grandparents (who don't even have a computer). This would be useful as I could then have a broad overview of both money owed to me and money I owe on my dashboard and I'd be able to have a "record" of payments.

5 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Barrett – we do allow this in groups, but we’ve decided not to allow it in friendships. Friend invites are a core part of how we grow as a site, so for better or for worse an email address is required. Sorry! Thanks for the suggestion, and let us know if you have any other thoughts or suggestions.

• Add a way to delete items / Delete history

It would be better if you add the functionality to:

1. Delete multiple items from the group
                                  2. Delete items on the monthly basis from the group
                                  3. Delete History (Clear history)

4 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve started adding functionality to the web that will hide expenses whenever a group or friendship hits an overall balance of $0. We’ll likely bring this to the iPhone and Android. We do not plan to add any mass-deletion functionality.

Marshall

• Settle up in group

I think it would be great if, at some point in the month, maybe the end, you could just click a button to settle everyone up - aka everyone goes back to zero.

Sometimes my roommates and I decided we're all settled up and don't want to go about putting who paid who and deal with change and what not.

It would be great to just decide, "we're settled up" so that every thing went back to zero and the non-simplified version of debts could restart from scratch.

Current method for settle up in group is difficult, bcoz we have…

6 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I can see the utility of this, but I don’t see how to implement this without either

- adding fake payment records
                                      - just plain deleting old data

Neither of these feel acceptable to me.

Your current balance in a group is calculated as a sum of all your balances from previous expenses.

For your use case, if you’d like to wipe the slate, I’d recommending creating a new group with the same name and renaming the older group to something like _old.

• Deleting a bill

Only the creator should be allowed to delete the bill and not the share holder.

Also on a seperate note i started using app with USD and then changed the currency to INR but people i started with in still have USD next to them instead of INR

2 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Vishal,

We do want to give people confidence that their bills have not been deleted, so in the user settings we have an “email me anytime someone updated / edits / deletes a bill.” We plan to change the default setting to alert you anytime a bill you created is deleted, which I think should give you some more confidence.

We strongly believe anyone should be able to delete a bill in order to help correct mistakes and make things simple and complexity-free.

The currency issue you are referring to can also be fixed in user settings – there is a button on the website that allows you to convert all expenses you have so far into your default currency (it just sets the currency code, it doesn’t do any currency exchange.)

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
                                        Jon

• Make payment from screen that appears immediately after clicking on push notification

My workflow with Splitwise is usually as follows:

1. My roommate adds an expense and bills me
                                        2. I get a push notification of what I owe
                                        3. I click on the notification and splitwise opens

From the screen that opens, it'd be great to be able to have a 'Pay with Venmo' option right there, as it's what I want to do almost 100% of the time.

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for writing in with this interesting idea! I can see how this would be useful for you. Most of our users don’t pay after every expense is added, so I think this might end up causing frustration/confusion for the majority of our users.

• Have list-sorting options for the "Groups" list in the lefthand sidebar

My housemates and I create a new group each month to split expenses. It would be easier to locate the right group in the list if we could choose to sort by "recently created". Or, if we could reverse the alphabetical order, then we could start the group name with the number of the month, and the current month would rise to the top :)

2 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! We don’t plan to add support for custom sorting, but groups that have been settled for more than 30 days should automatically be hidden from your list of groups. Hopefully that helps cut down the length of your list a bit!

Also, can I ask why you create a new group every month for expenses? Most Splitwise users just use one group on an ongoing basis, since it lets them keep a history of all their spending in one place. (It also lets them use features like recurring bills, as well as debt simplification w/ many expenses.) I’d love to better understand how you’re using Splitwise, so I can pass on that feedback :)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
                                          • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base