General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Pay for Splitwise pro via paypal

I would be happy to pay for Splitwise pro, but I'm not willing to tell you my credit card number. Make it possible to subscribe via Paypal and I will be the first who will use this option.

By the way I like optional pricing :)

Regards,
    Sandor

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • New category for vacation

If you are on vacation, you have a lot of different shared expenses: flights and hotels, but also e.g. museum admissions, attractions. Right now, these stay uncategorized. It would be great to have a dedicated category for attractions or vacation.

The best solution to all these category requests would be to add a (pro?) feature to manage categories: remove those you don't need, and add new categories!

Cheers,
      Hannes

2 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion Hannes! I would expect our “Entertainment” category would cover these kinds of items right now. We might add something that lets you remove categories at some point, but we do not expect to be adding the ability to add new categories.

Cheers,
        Marshall

• I can see the uploaded images for an expense that I previously added

I can see the uploaded images for an expense that I previously added. Wouldn't it make more sense if this option should be like a basic thing like a part CRUD operations

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • 1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Deleting past settled expenses

Add a feature to allow users to delete past settled accounts without affecting the accounts of the other users involved in the transaction

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • allow receiver to confirm payment before it reflects in splitwise

Today my friend updated that he maid a payment to me for the money he owed me. This got reflected on my dashboard, which now shows that he does not owe me any money. In this case, he transferred the money through internet banking. Before the changes get reflected on the dashboard, splitwise should ask me for confirmation whether I have received the payment. If I say yes (after checking my bank account) then only it should show on my dashboard that my friend does not owe me any money.

44 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                24 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Splitwise actually used to work this way, but we got rid of the confirmation step because people complained that it was too much of a hassle (and we agreed). We think that Splitwise becomes too difficult to use if you have to manually approve every change in your account.

Our in-between solution was email notifications. By default, you should get an email any time someone says they have paid you, and then if you wish you can double-check that they have actually given you money. (And if they haven’t, then you can delete the payment from Splitwise!) You can also see a full record of changes in your account at any time by going to the “Recent activity” screen.

Hope that makes sense! Let us know if you have questions or concerns.

• rename friends after they logged in

it's great to have the possibility to name and rename newly added friends which has not logged in yet BUT I would also like to define my own names for my friends even after the logged in and defined their "official" name.

For example, my father logs in first time, enters his full name, but if I log in I still would like to see him as "dad" rather than "Alexander" (especially if I have multiple friends called "Alexander", which could easily happen).

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We don’t currently plan to support “renaming” friends – while it certainly would be useful for some users, we think that group of users is rather small, and as a small company we want to spend our development time working on bigger features and updates. Very sorry for the inconvenience!

For the “multiple Alexanders” problem, we try to encourage people to use both their first and last name, as well as a profile picture, to help distinguish them from other friends with similar names.

• Simplify debts giving expense details

Currently the simply debts does not clearly state what Math took place behind the scenes. It simply reports a transaction "Simplify debts". It would be helpful to display that in the "Notes" section of a transaction.

If X owes Y 10, Y owes Z 10 and Z owes X 10, in a simplify debts among these three users, the amounts that each user owed each other must be added to the notes section. Currently today it would report something like "X paid Z 10", Y paid Z 10, Z paid X 10, which is not totally accurate as a transaction…

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve debated this issue a lot, and the reason we don’t save complete details in the notes of a debt shuffle is because of privacy concerns. Say you’re person X in your scenario – we feel pretty strongly that you shouldn’t be able to see the details of a transaction between Y and Z that doesn’t involve you. Neither of those people has given you permission to see their financial info, and to include full details about the shuffle would reveal that Y owes Z (or vice versa).

It’s definitely an annoying problem – it makes simplify debts a “black box”, where you can’t see all the transactions involved – but we think that’s better than the potential privacy concerns of exposing people’s information. That’s also why simplify debts is considered an “Advanced feature”, and is not intended for most users.

• Add face mapping filters on people's pictures

Add snapchat like filters on people's faces depending on who owes money and who is owed money to add more fun to the transaction experience.

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • intergate with dropbox or gdrive as backup

Provide a option where we can sign in with out dropbox/gdrive login password account and export the data to dropbox account.

Just just gives a option data backup, incase some thing goes wrong.

4 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Building a Dropbox or Google Drive integration isn’t in our plans right now – we take care to backup our own servers, and we already allow you to download basic backups in .csv format from the website. We’d much rather focus on improving core features.

And don’t worry: if Splitwise ever shuts down, we’ll notify all our users and give ample time for you to export your information :)

• Display date with the expense item in the list

Display date with the expense item in the list

6 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! We chose not to display the date with each expense item in the list in order to reduce clutter and make the list easier to read. (We found that most users were not paying much attention to the date.) You can still see the date for any given item by clicking on it and viewing its details. Apologies for the inconvenience!

• Add user permissions when editing/deleting bills

For example: if A adds a bill, only A should have the right to edit it or delete it.

34 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            18 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve thought about this a lot since we started Splitwise, and we think it’s important that anyone involved in an expense be allowed to edit or delete it. (We also think this is true for anyone in the same group as an expense, even if you’re not directly involved.) We don’t expect to add permissions in the near future.

You can read more about our reasoning here: http://feedback.splitwise.com/knowledgebase/articles/89944-why-can-other-people-edit-or-delete-expenses-that-

• away / vacation mode

I'd like a feature where you could enter the start and end date some member temporarily leaves a group (e.g. if said member is on vacation etc.). By default all expenses would be split between the remaining members during that time period.

7 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! I can definitely see how this would be useful, but unfortunately it would also add a fair bit of complexity to how managing group members works, and it seems likely to confuse other group members. (For example, say you temporarily excluded some people from expenses, but then another user logged in to add an expense, expecting that it would be split among all group members.)

For now, your best bet in this scenario is to actually remove those temporary people from your group, and then add them back again when they come back. While they’re gone, they won’t be able to access the group, but as soon as you re-add them they should have full access to everything, including any expenses from before they left. I realize that’s not a perfect solution, but I hope it helps!

• Comment

It will be better if we can upload a picture of bill in comment section. So that anyone from group can cross check if he/she want. It actually needed when u r not that much familiar with your friend ( new friend or classmates ).

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Eliminate useless options in IOU and Record Payment options.

When I change the person paying to one name, the other box must not contain the same name. Based on the situation it must change. Usually the best guess is to swap.

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Shopping list (checklist)

Hi guys!

We use Splitwise for traveling and household issues.

For our household group we miss a shopping list, where we can write down what we need to buy for our house. This way all members can enter to the list when they are out for shopping and buy the stuff needed.

This feature would incluse a checkbox that can be marked when the product is bought. At the time you mark the checkbox, an "Add new bill" screen could be shown to add the new bill.

We talked about it at home and we would find it very useful…

8 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We do think this is a useful thing for housemates, but we’re planning to keep working on just the splitting side of things for the foreseeable future. We would be open to working with existing shared list apps to work on something like this.

Marshall

• 5 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Splitwise is all about everyone being on the same page. We firmly believe that anyone with bills in our system should be able to look them up and see how much they owe. We do not plan to add this. We do allow dummy users that are not attached to emails in groups in the occasional case where all but one person in an apartment has agreed to use splitwise, but you still need to split things with that person.

Marshall

• Display not involved payments or setlled up payments also

Instead of clicking and checking the setlled up bills, just display the not involved payments or setlled up payments as is. It will be less confusing when more is summarised on the page.

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for writing in with your suggestion. I don’t think this is something we will do. We find hiding settled up expenses reduces clutter and confusion, and as you note, you can always click to show settled bills. Apologies for any inconvenience!

• Only Lent Person should be able to Settle Up from his account

When the bills are settled up, it should be done from the person who lent the money and not from the person who owes the money coz this may lead to fraud settlement

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

We built Splitwise with the intention of keeping everyone on the same page with shared expenses, so anyone can add, edit, or record payments. There is a record of all of this kept in Recent Activity, so if there is a dispute, you can always reference the Recent Activity page. You also have the ability to delete the payment even if it was not recorded by you.

• Change the group Icon

its confusing to have the home icon for groups. It would be better if you use a picture with multiple people.

4 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

In user testing, using an icon with multiple people is more confusing than the current icon. We do plan to change this icon with our next major release to something less house specific.

Marshall

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
                                          • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base