Skip to content

General

376 results found

1. payment accept

No control over payment registration and causes confusion. It should like person who paid.. when records payment... the receiver should accept or acknowledge he received it. then only it should be accounted as transaction complete...

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)

We’ve done some similar things in the past and have found that adding features that allow users to “accept” payments or expenses adds too much overhead to the application and leaves users in a difficult spot of having inaccurate balances that they don’t have any way of changing. It’s just as unfair to have someone send you money and then not have them acknowledge it in the app so it correctly changes you balances as it is to have someone mark a payment as “done” when they put a check in the mail. The latter is less work for everyone, so until we come up with a solution that is actually more fair, we’re planning to stick with our current system.

Marshall

2. 4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

We’ve decided to leave out the graph for now – not many people were using it, and it was hurting performance/speed. We’ll consider it for future updates, but at the moment there are no plans to bring it back. Sorry!

3. Develop an app for BB10.

Develop an app for BB10. I'm currently testing a BB10 dev alpha and would like splitwise in that. I can develop one if given the proper APIs in my spare time.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  4. Let Paypal handle money limits

It says I can't transfer more than $500 via paypal. However, paypal has limits on a per user basis based on how verified their account is. I don't have limits do therefore paywise is limiting me unfairly. I can't use your app to record a payment then.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

This is a limit imposed by PayPal, not us. Their API limits third-party applications to send a maximum of $500 per week per user.

If you’d like to send larger amounts of money via PayPal, you can always transfer the money directly from PayPal.com, and then record that payment here on Splitwise. Sorry for the inconvenience!

5. Make the new popup the same dark color scheme as the old one

Please make the new divide a bill popup the same color scheme as the old one. This one hurts my eyes. Otherwise the new pop up is great and I love that it is easy to add an image now

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Option to prevent deletion of a expense / payment

Lock an expense / payment by the person who had made the payment
    Note: Not the person who recorded the payment.

If locked, the entry can only be edited by the person who had made the payment.
    A payment can only be locked by the person who had made the payment even if it was recorded by someone else.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve previously decided not to “lock” expenses because we think it makes it too difficult for friends to fix mistakes in data that has been entered on Splitwise. However, there is an option in your user settings to receive a notification any time an expense is updated or deleted.

You can read more about our decision here: http://feedback.splitwise.com/knowledgebase/articles/89944-why-can-other-people-edit-or-delete-expenses-that-

7. feedback on new design

The update feels pretty neat. UI feels snappy. paypal integration is cool.
    The only problem I have is the color scheme. Having light green on a white background strains the eye. It would have been better to have a darker foreground, probably dark green instead of light green.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the compliments, and sorry you don’t like the new colors! Unfortunately, we are planning to keep them. It’s definitely a lot different than the old Splitwise, but we hope the change will grow on you with time.

8. Revert to old color scheme

New color scheme doesn't look good to me. Please revert back to old one.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry you don’t like the new colors! We are planning to keep them, though. It’s definitely a lot different than the old Splitwise, but we hope the change will grow on you with time.

9. rename friends after they logged in

it's great to have the possibility to name and rename newly added friends which has not logged in yet BUT I would also like to define my own names for my friends even after the logged in and defined their "official" name.

For example, my father logs in first time, enters his full name, but if I log in I still would like to see him as "dad" rather than "Alexander" (especially if I have multiple friends called "Alexander", which could easily happen).

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We don’t currently plan to support “renaming” friends – while it certainly would be useful for some users, we think that group of users is rather small, and as a small company we want to spend our development time working on bigger features and updates. Very sorry for the inconvenience!

For the “multiple Alexanders” problem, we try to encourage people to use both their first and last name, as well as a profile picture, to help distinguish them from other friends with similar names.

10. Put the name of the expense in the venmo description

Venmo integration is great! But I like my Venmo descriptions to have a reference to the actual expense (because it helps me categorize them later). You already prep-populate the Venmo description that lists it as a Splitwise expense, I would just like you to add the name of the expense (ie - electric bill) in that description.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately, the Splitwise model doesn’t associate specific expenses with payments. Payments are just an amount that applies to a total balance. There’s not really an automatic way for us to match the two up reliably.

Marshall

11. Allow the owner(the person who has paid the amount) to approve/decline the settlement given by others

Now the application allows anyone in the group to edit the amount, settle the amount even though they haven't paid. There should be an option for the owner who enters bill to approve or decline the changes made by other members, for example, if someone chooses amount settled then the owner has to get an option to approve or decline it. And if other members edit the amount paid , owner should get a notification to approve or decline it. So the person who has paid the amount will have a control over managing expenses.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Splitwise actually used to work this way, but we got rid of the confirmation step because people complained that it was too much of a hassle.

Our in-between solution was email notifications. By default, you should get an email any time someone says they have paid you, and then if you wish you can double-check that they have actually given you money. (And if they haven’t, then you can delete the payment from Splitwise!) You can also see a full record of changes in your account at any time by going to the “Recent activity” screen.

You can also get notifications through email or push notifications for expenses being added, deleted or edited.

Hope that makes sense! Let us know if you have questions or concerns.

12. "Simplify debts with" in a group

It could be usefull to redirect simplified debts with a person in a specific group, instead of non-group

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We don’t plan to make any changes to the “Simplify debts with” algorithm. We do offer simplify debts as an ongoing toggle in groups, which we think is usually a much better solution to the simplify debts problem, though we kept the more general one around for rare cases where it’s needed. You can always edit a specific Simplify debts entry and move it into a group if you want to.

Marshall

13. Add Toman Currency, Iranian common but unofficial currency

In the daily life of Iranians, the currency called "Toman" is more frequently used than the official currency, "Rial (IRR)", because of a lot of zeros!
    Toman is one tenth of Rial, i.e. 10000 Rial is equal to 1000 Toman.
    Please add this currency (or replace it with Rial), because it makes confusion and error by the users frequently.
    Thank you

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the message, and sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately, I’m afraid our list of currencies is restricted to currencies with official international currency codes, so we can’t add the Toman right now :(

I did some research, and I saw that there have been efforts to replace the Rial with either the Toman or a new unit called the Parsi, but most of the articles that mentioned this possible change were several years old. If a currency change ever becomes official, we’d be happy to add the new unit of currency. Until then, my apologies for the inconvenience!

14. 4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble. We think it’s important to show deleted expense in ACTIVITY — I shouldn’t be able to delete an expense with you and then also delete the record of the deletion, that would be really bad! If you need any help understanding your ACTIVITY please write support@splitwise.com. Thanks!

15. Home budget

Hi Splitwise Team!
    first of all, would like to congratulate you for this great app, i love how straight-forward is, its clean design and a very good UX.

I use it for trips and even to divide my life expenses with my girlfriend and housemates... but unfortunately, it falls a bit short to be able to manage my finances more thoroughly.. I've been searching for some time without any luck, for something as good as splitwise to use as my budget management app..

I was wondering if are you guys planning to launch / develop something along those lines? where…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We have been considering adding some rudimentary expense tracking/personal budgeting to the app, but I doubt we’ll ever make something as good as Splitwise for budgeting. We’ve spent years learning how people think about splitting money and are still refining our app. I don’t think we can take on the challenge of doing this for budgeting.

Marshall

16. custom tax plan

trying to create a tax plan but couldn't add more brackets. basically I want to create the following brackets

from 10k to 100k, every 10k your tax rate goes up by 1%
    from 100k to 1m, every 100k your tax rate goes up by 1%
    from 1m to 10m, every 1m your tax rate goes up by 1%
    from 10m 10 100m, every 10m your tax rate goes up by 1%
    from 100m to 1b, every 100m your tax rate goes up by 1%

I want to see how much revenue this would create compared to the current plan.

also…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! We’re not planning to make any major changes to our tax plan calculator at this point and I don’t think we even have the underlying data to make this kind of calculation in any event. Sorry I don’t have better news!

Marshall

17. Keep records of all past payments

Every time a bill is paid there is a record of that payment so someone could look back at who paid what to whom in the past.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

Update: we still have not heard back for clarification, so I’m closing this out – Marshall

Hi there,

Thanks for writing – could you clarify a bit? We do keep a running record of all previous bills, who paid them, and which users paid each other. You can see that record either right from the main interface, or you can download an .csv of everything, or a PDF with the record from any previous month.

Cheers,
    Jon

18. how the heck can someone else delete an entry I made ?

Your application is awesome, but it has a huge flaw when it comes to the part where someone else is allowed to delete an entry i made. I see that you have notifications set up when such thing happens but this will not work. You should not allow this to happen in the first place. By giving everyone right to delete anyone else's entry in a group you are losing customers like me to billmonk.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We allow group members to edit or delete anything within that group. This is because we want anyone within that group to be able to fix a mistake and have total transparency. If you create a friendship with a person, then the only people that can edit or delete an expense will be the people involved.

19. record items

i want to be able to record items

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Currently we have no plans to start tracking other than monetary expenses. We’re aware of other sites that have done this, but currently we don’t have this on our roadmap as future features.

20. Duplicate group creation/monthly sharing

We are a group of friends who share an apartment. We would like to have our expenses tabled month-wise. It would be great if Splitwise either -
    1) has a feature in groups to divide the group expenses month-wise
    2) allows duplicate group with the same existing members(creating new group for every month by adding email ids of people every time is a hassle)

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve added a feature to the website that will hide expenses whenever the overall balance in the group is $0. If you do settle up each month, the last months expenses will be hidden.

We will likely bring this to the iPhone and Android at some point. Will this work for what you want?

Marshall

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base