I suggest you ...

Apply payment directly to expense/pay for individual items

When a payment is made, you should be able to select the associated expense(s) & enter a $ amount to which expense the payment should be applied to.

645 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Splitwise SupportAdminSplitwise Support (Admin, Splitwise) responded  · 

Applying payments directly to an expense definitely makes sense, and it’s a feature we’ve thought about for years, but unfortunately we haven’t found a great way to do it, even with a lot of thought. It’s difficult to support both rolling balances and item-by-item checklists on the same list of expenses – especially when different people might want to use both “settle up” styles within the same group. We also haven’t been able to find a design for applying payments directly to expenses without adding a lot of complexity, especially if paying for specific expenses is an “optional” feature and not the default.

We do continue to think about this, so hopefully we’ll make a breakthrough at some point, but it hasn’t yet made it on to our official roadmap. We’re really sorry for the inconvenience! For now, one possible solution would be to add comments on expenses, which can help to keep track of which items have been settled up and which items haven’t.

50 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • shekhilshekhil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

In India, Why not tie up with Paytm and make the payment easier. Similar to Uber cab service which has tie up with Paytm for payment in India. This would ease the transfer atleast for certain expense brackets. It would be great if all major banks as well as wallet options are provided. The assumption for bank accounts would be the user has added the details of the partners account details. For paytm only mobile number is required to transfer the amount.

-Shekhil

-Shekhil

• AbhinavAbhinav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On payment, please show the popup containing the items checklist for which payment is made.These checked items will be included in comments automatically.Hence, user lame users like us don't need to manually type the item name.

• Bianca TamayoBianca Tamayo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Example use: When there's a big expense, I would like to be able to pay it off, and have it display as "Paid", but not necessarily have to pay off the rest of the bill. This way I can record big expenses with the tally, but be able to mark it as paid and see a more realistic total between the group/friend.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Splitwise REALLY needs this functionality. Why not list under each payment when you click on it what each person owes (even or uneven splits like it currently does) but just have a button next to your name which says settle this bill... it could be next to all the names for the person who paid the bill in the first place so they can register who paid what.

Not sure how to implement that in code but doesn't seem to logically complex to me!

If a bill is to be divided among 4 people, and next day one of payee makes his payment towards the same bill. There should be an option to settle individual bill. This will make handling at User level very better

Thanks!

I LOVE the concept and look! Sadly, without the ability to apply payment directly towards a bill is the reason I had to find another option.

• Tyler VerbaisTyler Verbais commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice if you could just click on a member's name in a given expense breakdown and have the option to have them settle up for that expense and just that expense right in that tab, without having to go to the main settle up tab and input the dollar amount manually.

• Kelly C.Kelly C. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So my partner and I share everything through your site. Often, one of us will put in a long list of bills, and the other one can only pay back a few at a time. I would like to be able to track which one's I've paid for--for example, if i pay the amount owed for the rent bill but still owe money for the electric bill, perhaps rent can show "paid" next to it, or turn a different color, or something? Just so I can keep track of which items have been paid for, not just the amount I still owe. Thanks, and I love split wise!

Hi, I think it would be great if we could link payment/settlement to a particular bill. Since there are some bills that come at a later date but will be settled earlier. That way there won't be so many unsettled bills listed.

So let's say my group have bill A, then afterwards there's also bill B. But for some reason we decided to settle bill B first. If we could link the settlement to the payment (perhaps through tagging), then bill B could be removed from the list of unsettled bills. I hope my idea is clear enough.

Cheers! Keep up the good work! I really love Splitwise : )

Hi Jon,

First, thank you and your team for Splitwise. I still use it and it is great. I'm glad you have responded to the issues that everyone here has posted about and made the update you made a couple of years ago. I'm sorry to say that I think this is still a big issue, because this is something that should have always been and should be at the foundation of the software. I really don't think the system needs to be a "checklist" per say, but I think at the root, the user should HAVE TO "marry" a payment directly to an expense and only at that point should an expense be deemed "closed".

If there is more than 1 expense open, there should be a way to apply defined $ amounts to each expense owed. If any payment is made that is greater than all expenses, a pop-up box should ask if the user wants to lend money to his friend in the amount of the residual... Or it should force the user to have to enter another expense. If the amount paid is less than the expense that is being paid for, that item should remain an "open expense" and there should be something that says "username paid $125 toward this item, amount owed is $132."

Because this deals with money, there should not be any money "floating around." Every dollar should be accounted for first on an item by item level, and then THE ITEMS should add up on a rolling level.

If there are things that you are trying to do that make this difficult, I would say that this is probably more important than most of the bells and whistles out there.

Thank you for your hard work here! I do like this software a lot and I realize that this would probably be very hard to implement, but if you did I think it would make a lot of users very happy.
        -Steve

• PetePete commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Was talking with mates about this aspect missing from the app this evening...!!!

Any progress?

• rickyricky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make this happen, people keep on deleting bills in our group thinking that's how to settle specific bills and it's messing up our accounting.

I'm the guy in our house that pays all our bills upfront and collects my house mates contributions through splitwise. It's confusing for me to chase up the guys not knowing what they have and haven't paid for... If there was a function for them to check off what they have and haven't paid (allocating their payments) it would my life a whole lot easier.

• Splitwise SupportAdminSplitwise Support (Admin, Splitwise) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi all,

Has the recent web update (Aug 22) hiding balances which have been previously settled improve this for people (on the web)? We agree that it can be confusing to just see a list of all transactions.

(On the mobile apps, we still don't hide transactions past the settle-up point yet, though we plan to.)

We really sympathize with the lines of thinking steve and matt have posted here. You are welcome to extend Splitwise to do what you want using our API (http://dev.splitwise.com), but whenever we whiteboard out the solutions like the ones you are proposing, we see big problems and user interface potential confusions that are hard to solve. The minimal update on Aug 22 relieves a lot of pressure for "why do I owe what i owe" by reducing the list to the set of relevant transactions, and then why I owe what I owe should be more clear.

I'm curious if others feel the same way? Haley K, are you referring to the website or mobile app?

Cheers,
        Jon

Feedback and Knowledge Base