I suggest you ...

allow receiver to confirm payment before it reflects in splitwise

Today my friend updated that he maid a payment to me for the money he owed me. This got reflected on my dashboard, which now shows that he does not owe me any money. In this case, he transferred the money through internet banking. Before the changes get reflected on the dashboard, splitwise should ask me for confirmation whether I have received the payment. If I say yes (after checking my bank account) then only it should show on my dashboard that my friend does not owe me any money.

55 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Abhinav GoelAbhinav Goel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Splitwise SupportAdminSplitwise Support (Admin, Splitwise) responded  · 

Splitwise actually used to work this way, but we got rid of the confirmation step because people complained that it was too much of a hassle (and we agreed). We think that Splitwise becomes too difficult to use if you have to manually approve every change in your account.

Our in-between solution was email notifications. By default, you should get an email any time someone says they have paid you, and then if you wish you can double-check that they have actually given you money. (And if they haven’t, then you can delete the payment from Splitwise!) You can also see a full record of changes in your account at any time by going to the “Recent activity” screen.

Hope that makes sense! Let us know if you have questions or concerns.

29 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Cibi SundaramCibi Sundaram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can send OTP to members of the group to check that they are included in expense or balance is settled up

• UmakantUmakant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

like when someone adds some expanses you will get an approval button kind of thing. to make sure you owe that much

• Vaibhav AghadateVaibhav Aghadate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Team,

Currently Splitwise app has no approval system in case of setting the balances.
        Eg. I have paid 100 bucks to my friend, he can settle the balances directly without paying me. So, there should be approval system.

• GAURAV VERMAGAURAV VERMA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

people settle up their balance without even letting the owner know, lender sometimes unaware of small amounts which some people settle.
        It should send the otp to the owner and only after owner confirms the otp then balance should get settle.

• Nidhin KandothNidhin Kandoth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

when a user mark amount as settled, the person who recieved the amount should approve, to settle the balance, i mn a verification from the cash reciever side

• Girish Gowda D KGirish Gowda D K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For example X owes some money to Y. Before paying actual amount X just press the button settle up and all the details will vanish from main page so. Instead of this to make sure that X pays the money to Y just give an option of email or SMS otp service. To person Y so that he can claim the unsettle amount and then delete the payment after the mutual confirmation.

• Adnan SaifyAdnan Saify commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi SplitWise i really appreciate your app and also support such a nice concept but one thing i think is missing in your app is approval while settling up as anyone from the group can settle up money in case if he/she has not paid for the same also i have read your comment here:
        http://feedback.splitwise.com/forums/162446-general/suggestions/3864369-allow-receiver-to-confirm-payment-before-it-reflec

then also i would recommened that there must be a approval system in splitwise as the main purpose of using splitwise is just because we donot need to remember everything but if approval is not there then this purpose will not get fulfilled if someone starts cheating and it will be restricted to loyal ones.

Thnaks and Regards
        Adnan Saify

• Pallav SoniPallav Soni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This must be included in the Splitwise. If by any chance or by any mean someone settle up without actually settling up then they have to again make an entry, this will create more problem. So inspite of these issues, there should be a CONFIRMATION NOTIFICATION or ALERT which is to be sent from that user to the respective other user for CONFIRMING the SettleUp

• SanthoshSanthosh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was out for some days and expenses added to my share means, I need an option to accept or reject my share.
        or one option as autoreply that I am outside and not part of this share, do u still want to add share .

• Caelan McIntoshCaelan McIntosh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

if anyone in a trip grp can just settle up without the other party confirming its open to lying and accidents. once the payer says settled up a notification the payee should apear and require agreeing before debt is shown up

• lino lazarlino lazar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great when it asks for a approval/alert when some one deletes a expense which you are involved.

• lino lazarlino lazar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

if the moeny which i lent is settled up by other person. kindly wait for my acknowledgement to approve that settleup. only after my approval the transaction get reflected in splitwise dashboard.

without this feature one can be easily fooled in a group transcations.

• KumarKumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be two sided verification for settled bills,a bill should not be settled until both side payee/receiver has agreed to it ,only one can't just click say that bill is settled.

• NikhillNikhill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want the app to have the spender receive a notification for approval of a settlement before the settlement is carried out.

• Saransh SinghaiSaransh Singhai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be confirmation / approval system for any changes made to any past activity OR even if we add a new expense.

This is must.

• Kenny HengKenny Heng commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What I meant is if one party initiated the settling of transaction the other party should be confirming it before it is recorded as settled else it's pretty unfair

• Noémie FreyensNoémie Freyens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I pay back someone, I click on the "Régler" (French) button. It would be great if my friend would receive a notification or email where he/she can confirm receiving the payment.
        Great app by the way.
        Keep up the good work.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base