I suggest you ...

Provide an option to NOT email friends

Whenever I add a friend that owes me money, you guys send them email and (worse) don't make it clear that you are going to do so. So I've gotten an email or two from friends who are pissed I signed them up for something. Because I respect my friends privacy, this makes Splitwise FAR less useful to me.

When adding a new friend who doesn't use Splitwise, there should be a 'do not email this person' option.

Apps that insist on bothering your friends are bad. You guys are good. Please don't be bad. :)
Thanks!

40 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Chris shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
under review  ·  AdminSplitwise Support (-, Splitwise) responded  · 

Sorry for the confusion! We try to make it clear any time you add someone that you are in fact sending them an invite/receipt – if there’s a particular place where we missed that or did it poorly, let us know at support@splitwise.com.

We’re definitely considering making emails optional, but it’s a complicated decision, both for business and user experience reasons. For now, it is possible to create groups where not all members have email addresses, which may help you out. Apologies for the trouble!

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Patrick Bischoff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I definitely agree! maybe aunt Betty joins the jurney, but don't has whether a mobile phone nor an email. So I need the option to ad her as well. Or I set up a group just for me to remember the dept to a friend, but don't want him force to join...
    I don't get the point why that is a complicated decision?
    Greetings from Switzerland

• Rohin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to be able to find friends by name or email. NOT send them an email and they must accept. Can we search internally (in splitwise) before sending an email?

• Etienne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, this is pretty bad. If you can create a group where not everyone has an email, why can't you add additional people to the group withtout sending an invitation? What this does is force me to re-create the group from scratch when I realize that I forgot a person. That's frustrating. You said you were considering making emails optional a year ago. Did you come to a conclusion?

• Maria commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really want to add someone without the persons email. Like my mom or a child. Not everyone uses email, but everyone have bills. :)

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base