Skip to content

General

110 results found

1. Expandable/Hideable item-specific comment section

This mock up demonstrates how I would like a note/comment section to work:
    http://i.imgur.com/IezP7Dj.png

I think a lot of people want this feature and I think this is an elegant way to implement it.

Previous reason for declining comments: "We won’t be adding comments inline on the listing page. We do display an icon on the expense if there is a note for it. the main reason is that if we add this style of commenting, we wind up with too much clutter on the main UI for something that we do handle reasonably well already."

If the comments expand/hide…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    6 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  2. Add the ability to hide transactions I'm not involved in

When looking at a group on Splitwise I'd like to be able to hide transactions that I'm not a part of. When part of a large group there are quite a few transactions that just clutter the feed.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Hey Matt – if you open your group and click on the gear/settings icon at the top of the right-hand sidebar, you should see an option to “hide items not involving me”. That feature can be a little finicky (if you load more expenses, it sometimes resets), but we’re hoping to improve it more in the future.

3. talk to You Need A Budget.

Would be nice to have splitwise handled as a bank account within YNAB. Or within any other budgeting app really. I guess what i'm saying is pretend you're a bank and offer an API which gives third party apps a secure, read-only view of 'transactions'.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow users to post expenses for that user only

The new format requires you to define who else is involved, and I am using Splitwise to track my own budget that is often, but not always, shared with my girlfriend. I'd like to continue to do so with the new system.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

You should be abel to export a group or friendship to csv under the settings for that group or friendship on the website. We do not currently plan to bring this feature to mobile.

Marshall

6. Payment to person NOT currently owed money

With the app, unlike the website, one cannot currently record a payment to someone where that person is not currently owed money. As I like to pay individuals in advance, hoping this is a quirk easily fixed. Thanks!

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Update: this is now possible on all platforms. For groups, you just click on settle up and scroll down for more options. To do a custom settle up between friends, you need to go to the non-group expenses entry in the group list and settle up from there.

Thanks for the feedback! We can probably make this possible at some point, though I’m not sure when it’ll get added to the schedule.

Marshall

7. Splitwise should know in which direction the payment must be made through debt

If john owes jenny 10 dollars, splitwise should known that when they record a payment it would be john paid jenny and not jenny paid john

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve recently made an update that should fix this – when you click to settle up, the form should autofill with the appropriate information (when possible). Hope that helps!

8. don't default to split bills, let the user change the default

Right now (Windows 7), I always have to edit the paid by because the default is split, and 99% of the time one of the parties pays the entire thing.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Previous features were better than current

Previous features were better than current.
    Current changes doesn't show up the the total payment to be made to specific person, rather than settling amount with individual. Old UI had this feature.
    For example in a group, if John owes $20 to kate and kathy owes $20 to John. Then splitwise should make this calculation and show up as Kathy owes Kate $20, rather kathy paying to John and John paying to Kate. This feature was cool, but now it doesn't seem to be visible.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This feature is still available – it’s called “simplified debt”. Just visit your group page and click the “view full details” link at the bottom of the right sidebar, below the list of balances. That will open a pop-up with the option to turn simplified debt on or off. (It sounds like someone in your group may have turned it off by accident.) Hope that helps!

10. edit a bill by adding new member

i paid the rent on 1st and i'm living with two people.i made the entry on 2nd in split wise. Now on 4th a new member joins my house and i want to add his name in rent bill but i cant.
    so should have an interface to add a member in bill as there is option to remove one.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  11. It can be confusing at first when you don't know that groups are set to have the "Simplify Debts" option on by default, you let users choose

It can be confusing at first when you don't know that groups are set to have the "Simplify Debts" option on by default, you let users choose at the time you create a group, or at least let them know somehow, since some times it is not desirable.

Also, that option is a bit obtuse to find, having to click on any of the people in the group. I accidentally found it, and when trying to find it again hours later it took me a while, since I was naturally looking in the Settings (Gear)/ Edit Group Settings of the…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Make "simplify debts" more prominent

I love the "simplify debts" feature and "view full details". After several group vacations with friends the "full details" and "simplify debts" is what we use the most, however it's difficult many of my friends who are new to the site to find it. This is especially the case when the group has 8+ members and the "view full details" is at the bottom right side of the page.

I think the link location should be swapped with "view printable summary" to make it a bit more prominent. I would imagine users want to "view full details" a lot more…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Repair the problem with display of Indian Rupee symbol

Hi Splitwise Team,

On the webapp, when the settings are configured to use the Indian Rupee Symbol (INR Currency): Only a question mark is displayed instead of the actual INR symbol.

Suggesting to repair this.

Thanks in advance.

-
    Shubham

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

From your account settings page, you can change your default currency to INR, and the app will update to display the rupee symbol. The reason why we don’t automatically display symbols for non-default currencies is because some currencies use the same symbol, and it can become ambiguous (for example, MXN and USD both use the $ sign). Hope this helps!

14. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback!

Our solution to messaging is expense-based commenting:

As of December 2013, you can add comments to any expense from the web app. An email alert will be sent to everyone on that expense with the content of your comment.

15. Currency Default

It's way to easy to accidentally use the wrong currency. I'm trying to use SW with some of my less tech savvy roommates and I don't think they should have to fiddle with settings in order to use USD by default.

Could you use location info to set defaults automatically? Could there be a dialogue when an account is created asking for currency? Could I set a default currency for all transactions related to a certain group?

Great web app! I'm excited to see where this goes in the future. Keep up the good work.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We now automatically set the default currency based on your location and do our best to guess the correct currency when you are adding an expense in a group or friendship that uses multiple currencies.

Marshall

16. Very Useful App

Give Fast Help

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. allow repeating expenses

I'd love to have the option to have an IOU repeat. For example, "rent" is always the same amount and always due the same day so it would be great to not have to enter it manually each month.

BUT your service is great and super useful. Thanks!

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

You can do this already! Just click the “date” button when adding a bill, and you should see an option to have the bill repeat weekly, monthly, or more. Let us know if you have any problems!

18. Delete pending invites, move members in groups

Sent an invite to two wrong emails, and now I can't invite the right one. He's already my friend, but there's no way to add him to the group. If there is, its poorly placed. How do I delete a friend?

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To delete a friend, go to the friends page on the web app and click on the gear menu by their name. An option to remove the friend should appear.

Similarly, the gear menu for groups has an option to edit the group settings which will allow you to add and remove members.

Marshall

19. Keep track of pennies

This may be a bit pedantic, but the splitting should keep track of remainder pennies across expenses and itemized bills within, to keep it more fair. For instance, if you have an itemized bill with multiple charges of 0.99, and split between two people, in each item, whoever's first pays the extra penny (0.50 / 0.49). This means that if you have a lot of these expenses in one bill (e.g. 99p Stores here in the UK), the bill gets more and more unevenly split based on nothing but alphabetical order of the splittees' names.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Update: all of our apps should now redistribute pennies randomly. Tracking pennies is fairly complicated and unlikely to be much better than random distribution.

Sorry for the trouble! The way we split pennies is a bit inconsistent based on which version of our app you’re using, but we do generally try to be fair, usually by distributing the extra pennies randomly. This is definitely somewhere we want to keep improving – for now, apologies for the inconvenience!

20. Future settlement plan

If I could use some advance planning feature, like adding next month settlement that I would do.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can already add expenses or payments for the future – just change the date when adding items to Splitwise. They’ll show up in your list of expenses immediately, and be included in your total balance. (We don’t plan to support “pending” future expenses that don’t apply to your total balance, as we think that makes it more difficult to understand at a glance why you owe the amount that you owe.)

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base