General

1. Feature reques: Move personal balance to group

In the knowledge base article "Why am I settled up in my friendship but still have balances with my friend in groups?", I learned that I can move the balance with A in group G to personal balance with A. However, I need to do the other way around: move the personal balance with A to group G. The story is like this: I owe $1 from A, B, C, D personally and separately, however, they are all in group G, so I would rather to move them to G so that I owe the group $4. Further, if there…

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Definitely makes sense! We’re working on better ways of settling up across both personal debts and group debts, because we know it’s a pain in the neck right now :) We hope to have new features to help with that soon!

2. Facilitate Multiple Groups within a Group.

Instead of hiding the expenses when Balance is $0,
    Settle Up a Group Month Wise, so that a same group can be used, thus avoiding duplicate groups.

So that we can have Monthly Balances & a Gross Total Balance.
    Multiple Groups within a Group will give us more flexibility & Ease.

Right now i am creating a Group Every Month.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’ll pass on the suggestion! I’m not sure it’s applicable to a lot of Splitwise users – most people only use one group on Splitwise, or no groups at all – but it’s an interesting idea, and worth discussing.

3. Make each entry in "Recent activity" pop open the relevant expense

Currently, clicking on an item in "Recent activity" takes you to the group where the expense resides, but it doesn't actually show you the relevant entry in that group. Clicking on one of these entries should take you to the relevant group AND pop open the edit dialog for the expense, or at least highlight the expense on the list.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Not include payments in the expense summary

In the "charts" section, payments get included under "your share". I understand that you want to do the "you paid - your share = you are owed", but the result is that it's harder for me to see exactly how much my share of the trip actually was.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Another good idea George! In fairness, it’s not actually included in the pie chart, just the table of expenses, but I hear what you are saying. If you want to see the trip as what you actually “spent” independent of the payments moving money around, it would be the sum of the “Your share” column minus the payments.

We’ll definitely discuss this issue more as we revisit the charts / why I owe what I owe interface. Thanks again!

5. Add Chinese language support

Please add Chinese language support. I understand that splitwise is not an open source software, but I don't think it's a problem that you can put language files to platforms like transifex, so that volunteers can do the translation for multiple languages.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m sorry that we don’t support Chinese yet!
    Preparing for character based languages is a big task and we’re a small team so it’s not something we can promise soon. However, it is something we’d love to add at some point!

6. Search by amount

I'm a Pro subscriber and the search is nice, but it only seems to look in the transaction description. I'd also like to be able to search by amount.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Intellisense

Hi,

This is a great web app. I was thinking, as the users who are using this app for everyday expenses management, their expense description remains same or similar. So, if you can store those descriptions and as user starts typing, you can show a probable list to select from their earlier descriptions. It will be more user friendly as then user doesn't need to type the same thing over and over again everyday or every week.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I can definitely see how that would be useful! We’ve got a bunch of features already on our to-do list, but I’ll pass on the suggestion at our next team meeting and see if we want to add that sometime soon.

8. Allow importing expenses from a Settle Up App

Currently I am using Settle Up and would like to import my expenses in your application

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Taxable items in itemized view

Hi,

Hey guys... love the work you are doing..
    It would be great if you could add a checkbox in the itemized bill view to select items that are taxable or not. It generally happens when we do shopping for groceries in walmart or target, taxes are not applicable on many items and currently we have to manually calculate the tax with every applicable item; defeating the purpose of the tax field at the bottom.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Entire and monthly export option

There should be an option to export the entire transactions of an account for a particular month.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Relationships for debt calculation

So I have a few groups with some friends, and not all of them know each other. Occasionally, when I add a combined bill, Splitwise simplifies debts in a way that person A ends up owing person B, who don't really know each other. It ends up being an awkward situation which I resolve by taking the money from A and giving it to B.

It would be cool if Splitwise showed me a graph with nodes for myself and every person I've ever shared a bill with (or scoped within a group for simplicity), and then let me add…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Sameer – are you talking about the “Simplify debts” feature for groups? In general, we’ve assumed that everyone in a group knows each other, as groups are usually used for apartments and group trips and things like that. Could you give me more details on the specific case where this problem is happening for you? It’d be good to have more background and make sure we understand where you’re coming from.

On the other hand, if you’re talking about the “Simplify debts” feature that works outside of groups, then our algorithm should take this into account already, as it only moves around debt between people who already have outstanding balances with each other.

12. Make simplify debts more accessible

The simplify debts feature is excellent and I use it all the time. However, It's currently hidden in the settings menu and I think that it should be out front and center for everyone to see!

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve actually made this feature less accessible over time as we found any people we’re confused by this. We are working on some changes to make it more understandable and will probably make it easier to turn on when we think we’ve got a good explanation for it.

Marshall

13. 11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion!
    We send these emails for your security and you should only get them when signing in to your account. If you stay logged in and visit your account from the same device/browser you won’t get an email for every visit.
    These emails are a relatively new feature and we appreciate the feedback. I’ll leave this open for now.

14. Make "Add a Bill" a floating action button

Currently, if I'm scrolling through old transactions and want to add a bill, I have to scroll back up to the top of the page to hit the "Add a Bill" button. If this were a FAB I could add a transaction from anywhere in the history.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Debt shuffling across groups

I really like Splitwise and I use it regularly to keep track of my shared transactions with other people. However I find it difficult to keep track of expenses across different groups. For instance, sometimes I would like to transfer debt from one group to the other, such that in the first group the debt is settled but in the second it will show up. This would be a great addition to my debt management routine.
    To exemplify my request I will illustrate that with my father's recent visit. He came to visit me at home and I created a…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! There is a very basic version of this feature on our website – click on a specific person in the left sidebar, then click the settings icon at the top of the right sidebar and choose “Consolidate debts with this person”. All your groups will be settled up, and the remaining balance will be transferred to a single non-group bill.

We’ve also thought about a few other versions of this feature, but unfortunately it’s been really difficult to find a design that doesn’t confuse people. (Even the single-group “simplify debts” feature confuses a large percentage of people.) For now, we’ve decided to leave out any more complicated debt shuffling features, as the increase in confused/frustrated users seems to outweigh the benefits. Apologies for the trouble!

16. Multiply items on Itemized Bill

It would be great if I could enter in Itemized Bill how many items did I buy and from there, the web app would multiply this amount by price for 1 piece to get the total price.

Lets say I bought 4 boxes of milk for $10 each.

Right now I would enter it like this:
    4 Milks, $40

What I'd rather do is this:

Milk, 4 boxes, $10 each, total $40

This gives me better understanding of how many boxes did we bought and what was the price for 1 box.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your suggestion! We’re not currently planning any significant changes to the itemized bill form, but I see how this would be a useful addition. I’ll leave this open for further voting and pass along the suggestion.

17. Add a Round Up button

It'd be nice to have a Round Up! button. In Malaysia, the smallest amount you can pay is RM0.05, not RM0.01 anymore.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! Yep, there are a few other currencies that work this way too – I’m not sure when we’ll get around to rounding off those currencies, but we know it’s somewhere we can improve. In the meantime, apologies for the inconvenience!

18. Settle Up via Facebook Messenger Payments

Facebook Messenger now has payments inside conversations that allow you to request money from your friends. Since we can already link our Facebook account to Splitwise, it would be awesome for the settle up button to include a link to request a payment via Messenger.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately payments in Facebook Messenger aren’t currently open to third-party apps in a way that would make them compatible with Splitwise, but we’re keeping an eye on them in case Facebook decides to open up those features to other apps.

19. Give an easy way to type shop names / descriptions

I tend to use Description to enter the shop name, or service provider for the bill. This means that I tend to have several bills over time for the same shop / provider, eg. for household builds, local shops, etc.
    It would be nice if 1) either I could enter a shop name separate from description and/or 2) have an auto-complete on shop name and/or description based on previously entered expenses. That would speed things up even more!!

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! Auto-complete is one of those things that we’ve wanted to do for a while, but never found the time to actually implement – it’s definitely something we’re considering for the future, though. I’ll pass on your thoughts about a separate “shop name” field, as well :)

20. my activity

Hello,

Sometime I want to see what all expenses I have already added so that I can add only the remaining one.
    Can there be an option to track just "my activity" for last 30-60 days.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base