General

1. have a search option in settle up

It sucks when you have a lot of ppl on splitwise and you have scrol through it when you are looking for the name of the person you are "settling up" with(by clicking the settle up button on the dashboard)
    So having a search text box on top would be great

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! For now, you could try using the “filtering” search field in the left sidebar – just type in the name of the person you want to settle with, then click their name in the left sidebar, and then click the “Settle up” button as usual. Splitwise will automatically fill in that person as the person you’re settling up with.

2. View detailed "who owes who" in printable summary.

Sometimes (if someone doesn't use splitwise) you should at least mail/copy/give them all information about the calculation so it would be great to provide the simplified amounts of the entire group like displayed in the web (view full details) and app (in balances).

This could also be helpful in the mail reminders optionally.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! I can definitely see why that would be useful :) I’ll pass on your suggestion at our next team meeting, and see if we can add it to our to-do list.

3. General group announcements

It would be better if there is an option to post general announcements for a group. eg: "Please check if all payments are ok", "Few more bills to be added, the group will be updated by tomorrow" or to post the account details of someone so that the payer can go ahead with an online transaction.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add print option

Wanted to be able to print Trip split calculator to pass out to group of people before the trip. I can print it via web but looks better if it have print option for registered user to print it in print format.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. add the "quick add" function in Dashboard and "All expenses"

just the same way it's already there if you click on a person.

I understand (and support) the compromise to "hide" this function in the drop down menu in the orange "Add a bill" button as most users don't use the function and would be possibly confused if it wouldn't be "hidden".

But I totally don't understand this lack of consistency where some orange "Add a bill" buttons have this pull down menu (the ones you see if you click on a person) and some other orange "Add a bill" buttons looking the same and being at the same position…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’d like to add quick-add to the dashboard and all expenses pages in the future, but we want to spend some time improving quick-add first. As it is now, quick-add could cause some unfortunate scenarios – say, adding a bill from the dashboard and accidentally splitting it with every single one of your friends, instead of just the one person you meant to.

Hopefully we’ll be able to spruce up quick-add and bring it to those other screens sometime in the not-too-distant future.

6. Option to group expenses in Graphs

Being able to have a graphical report in Splitwise is what made try it this month for the household expenses. But I would like to have the option to see the graph of expenses with the overall category. For example: not just "cinema", "dining out", etc. but the option to see all "entertainment" as one slice of the graph, as well as "housing" and "utilities". That would be more very helpful for budgeting - again the reason I'm trying Splitwise (and Pro)

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Sorting on Expenses

Splitwise is an amazing website..Congratulation on building such a wonderful tool. .. I think you can add sorting on columns like person who paid expenses.. Sorting on expenses description and on other columns.. this helps when lot of people are involved in the group.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the details, Jitendra! I’ll pass on your suggestion. For now, you could try exporting your group to a spreadsheet, which would let you do some custom sorting. If you’d like to export to spreadsheet, just open your group page, then click the “Settings” icon at the top of the right sidebar and choose “Export as spreadsheet”. Hope that helps!

8. Integrate Square Cash Mail-to and Yodlee Payment Integration

1. Any plans to integrate square cash into the platform? They don't have an API, but you could integrate the mail-to functionality to trigger an email. I really hate using Venmo and still leave your site to make payments.

2. Have you considered integrating Yodlee into your platform? I currently use a combination of BillGuard and Splitwise. I think combining the two would be incredible. You could have a real time feed into splitwise of your most recent charges and then decide if you want to split them. You'd be able to monetize your app by charging a subscription for banking integration.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Spit Tip equally (separate from itemised bill and tax)

When eating out it makes sense to split the bill as per who ordered what, but with a tip an option to split equally would be nice.

Sometimes the dishes aren't too far apart in price and you are paying for the service, so we frequently split the tip equally.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Charts should not aggregate "Other" from different categories

It looks like Splitwise combines all "Other" expenses from different categories. It would be great it they were shown as separate ones like "Life: Other", "Transportation: Others" etc.

Here's screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xt2yx9rcp765c6u/Screenshot%202016-02-15%2012.42.42.png?dl=0

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have plans to revisit the charts in the future and improve them based on data we’ve received. However with our small team it is hard to give an estimate as to when this will happen. The best course is to subscribe to this thread which we’ll update when the feature has been completed.

11. Give users the ability to see future balances for recurring expenses.

In our group we have expenses like Rent, Internet & Netflix that are static in amount most of the year. We have expenses like this set as recurring.

When expenses are recurring there's not much room to quickly see an upcoming balance which is ultimately what my suggestion would provide.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Different FOREX for each member of group

When I travel I regularly use different currencies and so do my friends. Between every two pair of people there is a preferred currency of settlement and there is a set of currencies which they have access to. It would be great if people could choose which currencies they would like to be settled with in each transaction and people could define which currencies they are able to pay with (groupwise or at the transaction level). Splitwise would do its magic in when simplifying debt and would determine who owes who and what in which currency.
    Splitwise could also offer…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! I know Splitwise isn’t perfect for people using large numbers of currencies all at once, and that’s something we want to keep improving over time. I’ll add this to our list of possible improvements for the future :)

13. Have all details viewable (comments, notes, etc.) for all transactions, including deleted ones.

I add comments on transactions before I delete them, noting why they were deleted.

I can see the details of deleted transactions on Splitwise Mobile App, but I cannot see them on the web app.

Please allow us to see all details. :)

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. You have a typo in your German Ad-Blocker text :)

Wrong text: "Bitte unterstütze Splitwise, indem du deinen Freunden on uns erzählst!"

Correct text: "Bitte unterstütze Splitwise, indem du deinen Freunden von uns erzählst!"

("on" should be "von")

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. use the facebook and google login icons

I didn't see the "login with facebook/google" buttons. they would have caught my eye if they had been the standard facebook/google login icons.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Hey Good Job

your application is really working fine and doing a great job.... till now this expense is giving the spent money and the share of the team members in the event.

I think you can think a bit ahead and provide an option called Earnings or Income.

I will keep it in simple words: lets say I am creating a group called Self Expenses and updating my daily transactions, at the end of the month if I want to check and compare my income and expenditure than I am clue less as I have only option to add bills but not…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your complements Kishore!

We’re stayed away from personal finance so far because there are so many other strong offerings on the web, thanks for suggesting this and we’re always interested to hear of ways we can help people doing personal finances use Splitwise more effectively.

Cheers,
    Jon

17. summary of all the expenses per category

It would be very usefull to know how much each one has spent since the creation of the account for each category.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Interesting idea – I’ll pass it on at our next team meeting!

In the meantime, you can already view monthly category summaries on the web by going to a friend/group/all expenses and clicking the “Trends” button at the top of the right-hand column. Then click the “view full charts” link at the bottom of the right-hand sidebar.

Alternately, you could try exporting your expenses with any friend or group to a spreadsheet, and then building charts from that.

18. Add kittens to the web app!

This is pretty silly and probably more complex than it seems but it would be awesome if you added kittens to the web app somewhere. Unless you have and I've missed them...

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add a new column in Charts and View Printable Summary for Receipts

I noticed that when you go under Trends-->View full charts, payments and receipts are grouped under the "Your Share" column. The total of that column adds expenses and receipts together (thus R500 payment and R300 receipt would make the total R800) which is very confusing. I am thus unable to view my share of expenses for previous months except through the Trends function which only shows the current months share of expenses. This issue is also the case when you use the "View Printable Summary" function. I suggest you add a “You Received” column after the "Your Share" column to…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! I can certainly see how separating out payments from expenses would be helpful, and I’ll pass on the idea. Hopefully it’s something we can include in a future web update!

20. Show historical who owes whom what data

I'd like to be able to prove to my roommates that the numbers on Splitwise reflect an accurate picture of how much we owe each other. Typically there is a point in time at which we all agree that the numbers were correct on splitwise (e.g. right before a new person joins the group, right before a big purchase, etc.), but we're less confident that everything's been entered since that point. So I'd like to be able to click a transaction in the list, and then click "Show me what the numbers looked like right after this item posted". Then…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I definitely sympathize – piecing together why someone owes what they owe can be really difficult, especially when it involves lots of old expenses. I’ll pass on the suggestion, but for now, if you’re using a group, you might want to try the “view printable summary” option on our website (which you can find by going to a group, then clicking the “view printable summary” link at the top of each month’s expenses). The printable summary gives you a basic version of your suggested feature: it shows your balance at the beginning of a month, then each individual expense for the month, and then your balance at the end of the month.

If you like Excel, you could also try the “Export to spreadsheet” option on the web (select a group, then click the settings icon at the top of the right sidebar, then choose “Export as spreadsheet”). It’s not…

• Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base