General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Unclear what "x paid you $# on splitwise" means

The payment isn't actually occurring through Splitwise, so I haven't actually been paid when I get that email. Would be great to integrate payment options of course!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the confusion! We definitely want to improve our wording for payments – we need to get better at explaining the difference between payments that DO involve actual money transfers (i.e. sending $ through our integration with PayPal) and payments that don’t (i.e. recording that you gave cash to a friend).

• the "me" requirement for quick-add is inconvenient

Hi, I've been using splitwise for years now, as a replacement for Billmonk. I might not be your typical user since I use it to keep track of what family members owe me, and we never split bills. Thus when I use "quick add", I don't understand why if I write, "sonya owes 54 for dress" it automatically splits the bill and I have to manually un-split it. I have to remember to write, "sonya owes ME 54 for dress" to avoid splitting. If I say she owes me 54, then she owes me 54, not 27. Thanks.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Allow fixed and percentage splitting

I used to use billmonk and it had an awesome feature which splitwise is lacking. It is the ability to split by fixed amount and percentage.

eg. Total bill: $38.50

UserA: $10.30
        UserB: 1/2 of remainder
        UserC: 1/2 of remainder

Of course, if there were more users, it will be 1/3, 1/4 of remainder.
        Would be great to see this feature implemented!

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Anon,

Thanks for the cool suggestion. Yes, there have been a couple situations where I would have done this myself. Our new Plates app for iPhone can do this for dinner bills, and I’ve certainly found it useful there.

Cheers,
          Jon

• to tag a friend in the comment

able to tag a friend in comment, so he can be notified if someone sees any problem in the commented splitwise sheet

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • 1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • using NFC to settle balances directly between 2 phones having splitwise

Using NFC and bank details integration to settle balances directly between 2 phones having splitwise

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! I don’t think this is something we’re likely to add, but I’ll leave it up here to see if it’s popular. We do review settle up methods periodically to see if there are any news ones we can add.

Marshall

• add notes with acknowledge feature

Google Drive (sheets) already has this feature. Basically, instead of a note, you add a comment to a cell which the other person can respond to or acknowledge. So, if my roommate gives me a receipt and I disagree with a charge, I can remove that portion of it, and state my justification for changing the subtotal. That way, (s)he knows why I did it and knows to come talk to me if it doesn't make sense (e.g. where are those batteries you bought? I need some.)

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! I know the feature you’re talking about on Google Drive/Docs/Sheets, and it does come in useful sometimes. This probably won’t get added to our comments in the very near future (it’d require some cross-platform work), but I’ll pass on the suggestion and add it to our list of possible improvements.

• Make provision for adding a digital version of the bill at the time of payment of the bill directly from the POS

Every time we add bills and expenses, they are generally not for one or two items but a whole lot of things. Like when you go shopping, or a fun weekend, or even groceries. We have to calculate the whole bill manually and then add them bill-by-bill or item-by-item.

Rather than having to keep all the bills or depending on our short-term memory we could just ask the cashier at the POS to add it to our account so that we would get a digital bill. Then we could split each item easily. Imagine recalling the tab at a bar…

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! This would definitely be super-useful – we’ve thought about it before, though it’s not actually on our road map yet. Hopefully it’s something we can work on a bit further down the line. In the meantime, apologies for the inconvenience!

• Ability to list all the payments that I owe for a particular person in the group

Currently there some doesn't seem to be an option to retrieve an itemized list of expenses that I owe to particular person in the group or expenses that I paid for which a particular person owes me

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Ability to change group member at any stage...

Kindly add option to change the group member. For example, person "X" with email id "X@yahoo.com" has been added to the group "Alps Trek" and also some expenses has been added in the group with say equal distribution, it should still be possible to add same person "X' with email id "X@gmail.com". Ultimately dropping person "X" "X@yahoo.com" and transferring expenses on her name to same person "X' with email id "X@gmail.com".

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! Splitwise allows you to change a person’s email address if they haven’t claimed their account yet, though that may not be clear on mobile (you have to do it by going to that friend’s page and opening the “Friend settings” screen, instead of doing it from the group settings screen). Hopefully we can update our group settings page on mobile soon, so that you can update a person’s email address directly from that screen.

Once the other person has already accepted their invite, you can no longer update their email address, since it’s their account at that point. Hope that helps!

• make it easier to look through historical data.

My roommates and I are having trouble verifying who owes who what. We're considering moving back the google doc that we had because that interface is so much easier to look at historical logs.

Is there no way to just see a table of the history between two users? If there is make it more prominent.

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! Just to clarify: it sounds like you’re using a group, but want a better way to view only the transactions between two specific people, correct? I can pass on that suggestion.

Two existing features that might help somewhat (both web-only, and not in our mobile apps):

- Web only: In a group, you can hide all expenses that don’t involve you. Just go to your group, then click the gear/settings icon at the top of the right-hand column, and click on “Hide items not involving me”.

- Web only: You can also export all your bills to a spreadsheet. Go to your group, then click the gear/settings icon at the top of the right-hand column, and click on “Export as spreadsheet”. That may help if you’re trying to “verify” the total balances of each group member.

• Enable a toggle between simplify debts "on" and "off"

"Simplify debts" is by far the easiest way to get squared up, say, at the end of the month. However, it confuses the heck out of some of my friends who get confused by the idea of owing a whole bunch of money to one person to whom they might not owe anything directly (eg "Why do I own $100 to person A? She never lent me money" "well it's because you own person B money, and person B owes person A" ... you get the idea.

If you could quickly toggle between the simplified and unsimplified debts, it would…

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion, and sorry for the trouble! We definitely want to make “simplify debts” a bit clearer, though we’ve had trouble successfully doing that. (That’s actually one of the reasons it’s buried in the settings now – some people used to turn it on and off quite frequently, and then OTHER members of their groups would get confused about why their balances were changing.) I like the idea of a temporary toggle, though, to just “preview” what the group would look like the other way. I’ll pass on the feedback and see if we can add it to our list of future updates :)

• Add "QFC" for auto-categorization for "Groceries."

QFC is owned by Kroger and is a 24-hour grocery store (mostly?) in the Northwest United States.

Adding them to the database will make data entry just a bit easier.

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • 1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! I’m not sure if this is something we’ll add in the near future but I’ll leave this open for now.

Did you know you can change your avatar to add a profile picture? You can upload your own image from your Account Settings page.

• allow for selecting different tax rates in itemized bills

In Virginia, grocery food items are taxed at a lower 2.5% rate while general sales tax is 5.3-6%. Other states like Massachusetts don't charge sales tax on food at all. This makes it complicated to input the bill on Splitwise if the receipt has mixed categories of goods. Please allow for some way to assign different tax rates for certain items (some sort of checkbox or something).

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

While I can see how this would be useful, this is a low-priority feature. Itemized bills are used by a very small number of our users, but we can’t justify putting in the resources for this at the moment. We might look at doing this in the future, though.

• Show how bills are settled using a cool visual aid.

This idea came from a bout of minor confusion I had when looking at the results of the "settle up" function. I was surprised to see that despite knowing that I owed various people money, the result I saw on screen was that I actually just owed one person. After some chin scratching, I realized that of course the bills were being aggregated together so as to minimize the number of payments needed to settle up. That being said, I'm not sure that everyone who uses this service will reach that conclusion, especially if they've had a long day at…

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Recently we’ve been thinking a lot about this exact problem. The “settle up” function is great once you understand what it does, but it confuses a lot of first-time users. We’re working to improve communication about this, including via visual aids – you should see some of those updates over the next few weeks :)

• Swish

Connect to Swish (Swedish market) for ease of settling

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • 1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Maximum value of number is not big enough

Hello. When adding a bill, maximum value of input number is not big enough. If I enter a number greater than max value of 4byte signed integer, it is bound to this value. I know this value is okay for ordinary expense in USD but sometimes it's small for special case like buying a new house, especially in KRW(1 usd = 10xx krw). I would appreciate if you check it out. Thank you.

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! I’ll pass on the suggestion, but it may be a while before we fix this – accepting expenses that cost more than 8 digits would require us to make some database changes. In the meantime, apologies for the inconvenience!

• Add subscription feeds to the calendar function

Add support for calendar subscriptions (i.e., .ics .gcal .html) to the calendar function for groups. Simply having a calendar item that said "Pay <name> for <bill name>" or "<bill name> due" would be great. I would find this especially handy for recurring bills (e.g., utilities, rent, groceries).

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base