General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Ability to select transactions from bank or card history

Can ask users to link cards and bank accounts in order to show transactions in split wise so user can select transactions instead of having to do manual entry. Plaid makes a great API (demo.plaid.com) for this: harvey@plaid.com

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      6 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • enable mass editing of expenses

I have a bunch of expenses that I want to put in a group but I can't find a way to do it other than one at a time. There should be a way to edit several fields on multiple expenses at once. I see there's a suggestion called "Bulk Edit Expense" but it hasn't been commented on since 2012.

By the way, I just clicked to sign in with Google and got this security message from Chrome: You attempted to reach feedback.splitwise.com, but instead you actually reached a server identifying itself as *.uservoice.com. This may be caused by a…

50 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        11 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Updating this as it’s been a while. We’ve discussed this a few times and can see how it would be useful in a few cases (such as mass-moving expenses between groups – if you or anyone else needs help with that, feel free to send us a support email). We’ll keep it open for now for further voting and comments.

• 50 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Interesting. I just had a look at Monzo’s API documentation: https://monzo.com/docs/#introduction it doesn’t seem like they support p2p transfers at the moment.

Splitwise is always looking to integrate with new payment partners across the world, if we get support for this in the future and there’s enough demand for it, we might consider implementing this in the future.

• Split reimbursements unequally

After a weekend getaway we returned some unused supplies that had already been entered on Splitwise. We split costs using shares (some people were paying for them and their partner's share) and thought we could add reimbursements in a similar fashion. Unfortunately it appears reimbursements may only be shared evenly.

We worked around this by editing the original expense which wasn't as smooth as I've come to expect from Splitwise.

47 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Nikesh,

Thanks for the idea – the workaround you chose makes sense, and sorry / thanks for your patience. We really appreciate your feedback.

I’m going to leave this suggestion as under review to see how many other people are having the issue. Reimbursements are a tricky feature that we are happy to support, but adding additional functionality to them it is not currently a high priority since they are not very commonly used. As a result, I’m sorry I can’t promise a specific place in the roadmap for your suggestion.

Best,
            Jon

• Revolut integration

Hi,

Integration with Revolut as payment option would be helpful, so I think you should definitely consider that.
            Anyone agree? Vote up :)

46 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Monthly expense Tab

To have a monthly expense tab, that shows monthly expenses till now and past month expenses like you send in every month at mail. It will also help the person to keep track of his expenses in different categories.

46 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re working on some features like this now! In the meantime, you may want to check out the printable summary page for groups on our website (go to a group, then click “view printable summary” at the top of each month’s expenses), as well as the trends view for groups on our website (go to a group, then click the “Trends” button at the top of the right sidebar, then click “View full details” at the bottom of the right sidebar). Hope that helps!

• Periodic payments

I have to add the same amount for Comcast and electricity bill every month. It would be nice to have a periodic payment for such types of bill

44 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  11 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey there! I can’t quite tell from your description – are you trying to add a recurring bill (e.g. a cable bill that’s the same cost every month), or a recurring payment to another Splitwise user (e.g. you pay back your friend $50 every week)? We don’t support recurring payments to friends right now, but we do support recurring bills: just click on the date when adding or editing a bill, and you’ll see options to make that bill recur weekly/monthly/etc. Hope that helps!

• make a way to transfer debt between two people

i go out with two of my friends, who they dont interact with each other on their daily lives. One of them paid for all of us. So he is stuck with a dept to a guy that he barely knows. Best solution is to transfer the dept to me. In order to do that right know we need two people and three different transactions. Apart from that, I want to let you guys know you do an amazing job! Thanks!

43 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! I can definitely see how this would be a useful feature, but it’s also a fairly rare case in our experience, so it’s not yet on our roadmap. If we do eventually add it, we’ll want to make sure that it works in a non-confusing way, as we’ve found that various other features that transfer debt (the “simplify debts” setting in groups, etc) can sometimes cause serious confusion for the people involved.

• Slack Integration

It would be great for teams (corporate or otherwise) to use a slack integration to keep track of SplitWise data. Slack is one of the top most platforms where most of us are always on - any plans to get that integration done?

43 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      7 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Custom keywords for auto categorization

Splitwise already detects words like "pizza" or "bar" to set a category, but it doesn't know location specifics. Thus would it be great if I were able to set my own keywords like "Shop XYZ" > groceries or "McMurderBuger" > Dining out.

43 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great idea! To be honest, it’s a lot of extra work to create a custom user-by-user system (maybe a good idea for the Pro version?), so that’s not likely in the near term. But if you have suggestions for words to add, please feel to email us at support@splitwise.com or add them to the comments. We also review the system periodically and add new “magic” words when we think of ones to add.

Best,
                        Jon

• "Who paid" column in Excel export

When you export your data to Excel there should be an additional column indicating who paid for each expense.

42 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Provide an option to NOT email friends

Whenever I add a friend that owes me money, you guys send them email and (worse) don't make it clear that you are going to do so. So I've gotten an email or two from friends who are pissed I signed them up for something. Because I respect my friends privacy, this makes Splitwise FAR less useful to me.

When adding a new friend who doesn't use Splitwise, there should be a 'do not email this person' option.

Apps that insist on bothering your friends are bad. You guys are good. Please don't be bad. :)
                          Thanks!

40 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the confusion! We try to make it clear any time you add someone that you are in fact sending them an invite/receipt – if there’s a particular place where we missed that or did it poorly, let us know at support@splitwise.com.

We’re definitely considering making emails optional, but it’s a complicated decision, both for business and user experience reasons. For now, it is possible to create groups where not all members have email addresses, which may help you out. Apologies for the trouble!

• Lock group by blocking additional debts after a certain date

We typically make groups for a getaway weekend with lots of people contributing lots of items. We would like the ability to say after x days this group is locked and all bills should be submitted before this date. Ideally, it would send a warning one day before the group is locked and then only payments are allowed to be entered into the group after it is locked.

40 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              6 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We’re generally against features that can “lock” transactions and prevent other people from editing them, but I can definitely see how this would be useful. I’ll mention this at our next design meeting and add it to our list of possible ideas for future updates.

• support local decimal mark

US way 1,234.56 = 1.234,56 (german way).
                              Right now I can not enter "4,56 Euro" as an amount

40 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • add a 'by calendar' split method

Our household recently had some of its occupants change, and so the payment of things like rent and bills has been complicated. We needed to figureout who was present for each bill, and for how much, and therefore how much they should pay as a result.

Splitting 'by shares' and entering the number of days that people were around was a good solution here, but it's a pain to keep track of that manually.

What I'd love is a calendar where people can be added or removed. Then when an electricity bill comes in (covering 90 days), the date-range for…

39 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Show dates on mobile app

Like the design of the website, showing the dates on the list of transactions would help differentiate between multiple charges from the same place but on different days.

37 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    14 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! I believe we originally left out dates for each individual item to prevent cluttering up the screen (there’s only so much space on a phone screen, after all). I’ll pass on the suggestion, though! For now, you should be able to see the date by tapping on an individual expense and looking at the top of the details screen, beneath the description and cost.

• Allow linkage to Chase Quickpay

Chase quickpay is a quick method of payment that is offered by Chase bank and something I use with a lot of people. Would be great to see it added to the payment options instead of just paypal and Venmo. Thanks! Loving Splitwise! Thanks for making life as a student easier between my friends and I - no more sending and forgetting Excel spreadsheets!

37 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      4 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion and for your kind words about Splitwise.

We will considering adding Chase Quickpay integration if the idea gets popular amongst our user base, and if Chase begins providing a free API for Quickpay (that’s the tech thing we’d need to do the integration).

In the meanwhile, sorry for any inconvenience and thanks for using Splitwise!

ZC

• Confirm cancel/escape of itemised bill adding

If we accidentally press Esc or if we happen to click outside the bill entering area, the and new bill popup disappears. We have to enter the whole bill allover again.

Ask for a confirmation from the user before cancelling the bill addition

36 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Make a button for moving settle-balance from one group to another (i.e. from trip group to some general group)

Usually you have a group of closer friends with whom you often use splitwise and for them you want to have general, never closing, splitwise group. Now for some trips you will very often have some of those friends going with you, as well as some other people. So once the trip is over, it would be highly useful if for those closer friends you can transfer remaining settle balance to the general group. Right now that has to be done manually, meaning virtually settling in a trip group and creating same amount expense in general group. What we need…

36 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We have a very basic version of this on our website – the “Simplify debts with this person” button, buried under friend settings – but it’s very hard to find, and it’s not very powerful (you can’t specify which group you want to move balances into). I’ll pass on a note about this and see if we can clean up that feature at some point soon :)

• Add location to expense

It would be better if we add location of where the expense is made and filter the expense then it would be more easier..

36 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            7 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Krishna – thanks for the suggestion! We’ve thought a bit about location data before, and it’s something that might show up in a future version of the app. Until then, apologies for any inconvenience!

• Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base