General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Ability to select transactions from bank or card history

Can ask users to link cards and bank accounts in order to show transactions in split wise so user can select transactions instead of having to do manual entry. Plaid makes a great API (demo.plaid.com) for this: harvey@plaid.com

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      4 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Periodic payments

I have to add the same amount for Comcast and electricity bill every month. It would be nice to have a periodic payment for such types of bill

30 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        8 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey there! I can’t quite tell from your description – are you trying to add a recurring bill (e.g. a cable bill that’s the same cost every month), or a recurring payment to another Splitwise user (e.g. you pay back your friend $50 every week)? We don’t support recurring payments to friends right now, but we do support recurring bills: just click on the date when adding or editing a bill, and you’ll see options to make that bill recur weekly/monthly/etc. Hope that helps!

• Make it possible to retire groups

This should remove the group from the list and hide it in a list of retired groups. No new bills can be added.

This could also be used to move any unsettled debt out of the group (where it might be settled).

29 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’d definitely like a better way to archive groups, beyond just deleting them entirely. It’s been on our to-do list for a while, so hopefully we’ll be able to add this later this year.

• Provide an option to NOT email friends

Whenever I add a friend that owes me money, you guys send them email and (worse) don't make it clear that you are going to do so. So I've gotten an email or two from friends who are pissed I signed them up for something. Because I respect my friends privacy, this makes Splitwise FAR less useful to me.

When adding a new friend who doesn't use Splitwise, there should be a 'do not email this person' option.

Apps that insist on bothering your friends are bad. You guys are good. Please don't be bad. :)
          Thanks!

29 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the confusion! We try to make it clear any time you add someone that you are in fact sending them an invite/receipt – if there’s a particular place where we missed that or did it poorly, let us know at support@splitwise.com.

We’re definitely considering making emails optional, but it’s a complicated decision, both for business and user experience reasons. For now, it is possible to create groups where not all members have email addresses, which may help you out. Apologies for the trouble!

• Backdated recurring bill

I have add some bill for the past that should be recurring.
            If I add now (11-Dec.-2014) a monthly bill starting from 1st September it will not add the monthly payment off October, November and December, but says nex bill on January.
            Please add the ability to create a full set of recurring bill starting from a back date.

28 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Our recurring bill feature is probably one of the oldest pieces of code in the Splitwise service at this point. We’ve been meaning to update it for a while, but we’re a pretty small company, so it’s rare we find to the time to work on something that mostly works right. This is one of the broken pieces of recurring bills we’d like to fix when we can find the resources.

Marshall

• is it possible to integrate UPI (UNIFIED PAYMENT SYSTEM) for Indian users ??

UPI is a payment method introduced in India to transact between users and organisation. it would simplify the transactions between users if that can be integrated to Splitwise ✌

28 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                8 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Display the old and new balances for each person involved in Debt Simplification

Debt simplification is a very good idea, but it lacks one most important thing. The old and new balances for each participant with the friends they simplified with. This is causing a lot of confusion, as to who was owing how much before the debt was simplified. So, it is urgently required if you could add the details about how much each person paid and how much each person gets back after the debt simplification.

27 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Custom keywords for auto categorization

Splitwise already detects words like "pizza" or "bar" to set a category, but it doesn't know location specifics. Thus would it be great if I were able to set my own keywords like "Shop XYZ" > groceries or "McMurderBuger" > Dining out.

27 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great idea! To be honest, it’s a lot of extra work to create a custom user-by-user system (maybe a good idea for the Pro version?), so that’s not likely in the near term. But if you have suggestions for words to add, please feel to email us at support@splitwise.com or add them to the comments. We also review the system periodically and add new “magic” words when we think of ones to add.

Best,
                    Jon

• Suggested improvement

You should make it so that AFTER having amounts divided among all of the various parties, that you can combine people into a group.
                    This is useful when a couple is involved. For example, a group trip where there's 1 couple and 2 single people.
                    It's easier to have them separate to start, because they each have stayed at the hotel or eaten the meals as individuals. But then paying, it is easier to have them as 1 entity.

27 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Allow manual archiving of group

Manual archiving of group should be allowed. If the trip is over and everyone is settled, I'd want to get rid of the group still keeping the record in archives.

27 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        9 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I think this is a great idea! It’s not on the roadmap yet due to lots of other priorities voted higher, but one we’ve discussed and agreed totally makes sense. Thanks for submitting.

- Jon

• Disable loading phone contacts when entering a transaction

If I want to enter a transaction, I want to do this fast, so spent the least possible amount of time on searching and including the right person. The Android app shows all my phonebook contacts, which is not convienient if I just quickly want to add a transaction.

Maybe a separate "import phonebook contacts" button can be made available

26 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • To have detailed expenses report and category wise if needed

When I see printable summary for my group apartment, I should be able to know that in a current month , how much I have spent in total presently it only show how much you owe etc. and also category wise like entertainment , groceries other.

This could help me to record my expenses and manage them in a better way.

26 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You should be able to get some of this information already from our website. If you click the “Trends” button at the top of the right-hand sidebar, then click “View more charts” at the bottom of the right-hand sidebar, you’ll get a chart with details about your total spending and your breakdown by category.

We may bring some of that info into the printable summary in the future, but for now, I hope that helps!

• Suggest who should pick up the tab

When entering a new bill (particularly at a restaurant, but there are many scenarios), once all of the names have been entered into "With you and", figure out who owes the most money among the participants and suggest that person as the "Paid by".

26 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Allow addition of payers without email.

You're not handling my real world use case for payments yet:

You make the case that all participants ought to have an email to be able to log in and see the bill. But that fails to account for many people in my life - elderly aunt, lazy friend/cousin, etc who will participate and pay but will fail to promptly create an account on this website just so the bill will be calculated correctly. They just want me to tell them what they owe.

Let me specify anonymous or self-labeled payees who aren't going to log in. If they are…

24 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! For now, you could try creating a group from our website, which allows you to add group members that don’t have email addresses.

Also, just to be clear, Splitwise works even if your friends never log in or join. We ask for email addresses so that other people have the option to sign up and see their bills, but Splitwise should be 100% functional even if you’re the only one who ever actually uses the app. Hope that helps!

• Allow custom messages to be sent to group members from Splitwise Group

I would like to send a custom message to specific members of a Group directly from Splitwise. I've tried using the whiteboard function but that doesn't seem to work very well.

24 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Are you aware of the ability to send reminders, or comment on specific expenses? You can send an email to a fellow group member by clicking on their name in the right sidebar, then clicking the “Send reminder” button. You can leave comments on specific expenses by clicking the expense, then entering a comment in the comment box – the other people involved in the bill should get an email about your comment. I hope that helps!

• Calendar

a calendar feature that helps a home group keep track of who gets paid when, and when bills are due. To help figure out who will actually pay the bill, and then be owed by the rest of the group.

23 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks Randy! Have you tried using the ‘recurring bill’ feature? Interested to know whether that meets this need, or whether you think we need a calendar function on top of it. Thanks for using Splitwise and writing in!

• Have total bill payment

Im still a little confused. So im not sure if this is already possible or if this is my idea. But when it comes to utilities all parties need to pay. At the beginning no one has "paid" it and all i nthe group needs to be notified. Once everyone has made their payment to the person responsible then it can show who owes who. can you add a "pay self" option or "pay bill" maybe. it was hard to set up rent payment because it looked like i already paid it and my roommates still owed.

23 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve had a few requests for this feature and we have discussed different ways to make this work. While we haven’t discounted the “future” payment style, it’s going to be a little bit before we can get to it.

• support local decimal mark

US way 1,234.56 = 1.234,56 (german way).
                                      Right now I can not enter "4,56 Euro" as an amount

23 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Bills paid by multiple people: "Each person paid an equal share"

When adding a bill which was paid by multiple people you should be able to select an option "Each person paid an equal share" in addition to the available option "Each person paid for their own share".

This is especially useful for couples having a shared bank account / credit card or for shared bills where everyone just chipped in the same amount of money (but one still wants to split the items afterwards).

22 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Option to remove decimal display per currency

Just as the title says. Simple, give us an option to not display the .00 decimal in the app, or even better, determine and specify which currencies actually use decimal point amount of money.

I live in Korea I use Korean Won, naturally, which isn't applicable for decimal notation and I'm pretty sure quite a few more (if not most) currencies don't use decimals.

As a result, entering costs in Splitwise app now requires entering two more zeroes after the dot. KRW 38,500.00 is a pain...

22 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Very sorry for the trouble! Long-term, we would definitely like to add better support for international currencies with different numbers of decimals, but it will probably be a while before we get around to it. The vast majority of our users use currencies with 2 decimal places, and adding proper support for 0 or 3 decimal places (the other two common values for world currencies) will require significant technical effort both on our servers and in our mobile apps.

Again, apologies for the inconvenience!

• Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base