General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. More mobile notifications rather email

Like if someone pays me then it must be a push notification. For every notification i am the one who should choose what type of msg i get bt in most push notification is bot an option.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Mac App

It would be great if there was a mac app version - it could integrate with the notification centre for transfers and thing.

22 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Option to remove decimal display per currency

Just as the title says. Simple, give us an option to not display the .00 decimal in the app, or even better, determine and specify which currencies actually use decimal point amount of money.

I live in Korea I use Korean Won, naturally, which isn't applicable for decimal notation and I'm pretty sure quite a few more (if not most) currencies don't use decimals.

As a result, entering costs in Splitwise app now requires entering two more zeroes after the dot. KRW 38,500.00 is a pain...

22 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

Very sorry for the trouble! Long-term, we would definitely like to add better support for international currencies with different numbers of decimals, but it will probably be a while before we get around to it. The vast majority of our users use currencies with 2 decimal places, and adding proper support for 0 or 3 decimal places (the other two common values for world currencies) will require significant technical effort both on our servers and in our mobile apps.

Again, apologies for the inconvenience!

• Add location to expense

It would be better if we add location of where the expense is made and filter the expense then it would be more easier..

22 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Krishna – thanks for the suggestion! We’ve thought a bit about location data before, and it’s something that might show up in a future version of the app. Until then, apologies for any inconvenience!

• 21 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • View expenses by category

Hi,

I would find it extremely useful in both the mobile and web apps if I were able to group a house's expenses by their Category (possibly putting payments in their own section of the summary). In the web app, I imagine the link for this next to 'view printable summary'.

21 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Are you looking for an item-by-item list, or a summary by category? If you’re looking for the latter, there’s a category breakdown chart you can use on our website – click the “Trends” button at the top of the right-hand sidebar, then click “view full charts” at the bottom of the sidebar. I’ll pass on the suggestion for a way to break things down by category. Hopefully we can add these features to our mobile apps in future updates!

• Allow users to 'opt-in' to expenses

For example: if someone buys shared food and puts it out in the apartment, each user should have the option to join the split (but should not be forced to join it by default).

20 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Expense/Payment list filters

Provide the option to select individual members, multiple members, specific expense types (grogeries, bills, payments, ect).

Also, alowing for collapse/expand of individual months in the list would be a nice feature to clean things up.

20 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is an idea that I think would be a great addition to the site. I’m not sure when we could fit it in our schedule, but it’s something I think would be a useful way to organize expenses.

• Show dates on mobile app

Like the design of the website, showing the dates on the list of transactions would help differentiate between multiple charges from the same place but on different days.

20 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      7 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! I believe we originally left out dates for each individual item to prevent cluttering up the screen (there’s only so much space on a phone screen, after all). I’ll pass on the suggestion, though! For now, you should be able to see the date by tapping on an individual expense and looking at the top of the details screen, beneath the description and cost.

• Allow individual reports

Hi, we've been using splitwise for a month now and do enjoy the simplicity of splitting our bills..

As an addition, it would be very nice to create individual reports according to categories and dates., e.g. how much we spent on water bills over the last 6 months, how much we spent on groceries this month compared to last month etc.

20 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • add the ability to link to bank accounts

we did this with paydivvy. its the one thing that separated them from everyone else. now that paydivvy is being acquired we need a new service. hopefully connecting bank accounts is part of your plan already! makes it a lot easier to just press "pay" rather than cutting a check each time

18 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’d definitely like to do this! It’s unlikely to happen any time in the next few months (it takes a lot of work to properly and securely integrate with banks), but hopefully it’s something we can consider in the future.

• Ability to add a default PayPal address

An account should have the ability to specify an alternate PayPal address so that when it's time to settle up, the alternate address will be used instead of the address associated with Splitwise.

18 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            5 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! This definitely makes sense. We’d like to add the ability for an account to include multiple email addresses, and setting different default addresses for PayPal/Venmo/etc seems like a logical extension of that.

• Add the ability to add guests

When splitting bills, Splitwise works great for people that are already added into the app / website. However, for temporary guests, it becomes more of a hassle as after splitting the bill out since there's no room to add them.

The only solution now is to list it into comments.

There should be an option to add a 'Guest' slot, maybe by hitting a + button that allows you to add AND name another person that's not on Splitwise. From there, you'd be able to split the bill accordingly.

18 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Interesting thought! Normally we’d just encourage you to add this new person as a friend or group member on Splitwise (hooray, new friends!), but I’ll pass on your suggestion at our next team meeting.

• import from CSV take 2

I read through your reasoning on why you don't want to tackle supporting import from CSV. There is no standard, and creating one can be messy, particularly with the details you mentioned. However, the cases, if limited to a two-way split are simple to start and would cover that scenario.

I would expect to download a sample CSV (or my own db from your website), append to it exactly as it is, and reupload it to your parser. If a case isn't covered a quick "we don't understand this line please run us through it can feed back into a…

18 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the detailed thoughts! Building an importer is definitely possible, but it just hasn’t been a high enough priority for us yet – only a handful of people have asked for it, and we’re a tiny team (2 developers), so other updates end up taking precedence. We might get to it someday, but I wouldn’t expect it any time soon, unfortunately.

If you’re feeling brave though (and you’re willing to ignore XKCD’s advice), we do have an API you could use for importing! Docs are here: http://dev.splitwise.com. Maybe someone will put a nice CSV import program up on GitHub for the power users :)

• Option to track our monthly expenditure

At present, only the money owed is being tracked. It would be great if we could enter our personal expenditures too and also have the total expenditure number for each month.

Provide some comparison charts for each group, comparing the expenditure of current month with the previous etc.

Its highly probable that many of the users who use splitwise and similar sites to track the splitting, also use some other sites to track their own expenditures. So why not bring both together under one roof! :)

18 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are currently in the process of evaluating different types of expenses and relationships with those expenses. Tracking personal expenses is something we’ve discussed and want, we just need to figure out where it fits on the schedule.

• add keyboard shortcuts

Keyboard shortcuts are a great way for power users to take full advantage of the web app, and would be especially helpful when batch adding many bills at the same time (eg multiple receipts). Check out the javascript library mousetrap for a quick and easy way to add them.

18 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Export notes as well

When exporting to a spreadsheet, it would be awesome if all the information related to transaction is also saved as an excel file (rather than CSV). Currently notes and attached images are not exported.

Saving as an excel file, will give more flexibility to add links to images saved along with a transaction.

17 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! I can see how notes and attachments would be useful, though we’d have to think a bit about how exactly to structure the spreadsheet (we probably wouldn’t want just one “notes” column, or each cell might have a huge amount of text). I’ll add this to our list of possible improvements for the next time we’re working on printouts and exports.

• Fix recurring item edits

Recurring items should have a start date and an end date. When My apartment lease came to an end, I had to "delete" the expense, which actually ended up deleting the last time it occurred, rather than all the future occurrences! Not intuitive behavior, and it was not clear that would happen.
                                      Thanks

17 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

We’re working on the messaging of how our expenses (especially ones like recurring bills) work as we speak.

This does sound like something that we need to address for sure. Thanks so much for letting us know!

• Allow Venmo Charges

You venmo integration is great, but you currently cannot request money and create a Venmo charge. This would help remind people to settle debts. You've already integrated with the Venmo API, and according to their documentation, all you need to do is put a negative amount in the request to create a charge -- this should be easy (see: https://developer.venmo.com/docs/payments).

17 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Improved Debt Simplification with more clarity

Debt Simplification in its current form is quite limited. Even when I initiate the Debt Simplification on my end, I am not able to quite figure out how the debt got simplified. This is because whenever a debt simplification is made, multiple entries are added and it is difficult to correlate them.

It would be great if debt simplification was shown as a single entry for an individual debt simplification operation so that everyone involved is able to identify how the debts have been shuffled. This can be made clearer by showing a diagram with names or any other graphical…

17 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’d definitely like to improve clarity on debt simplification. In most situations, it’s impossible to show the full details of a debt simplification without compromising privacy, but we may be able to show only the parts of a simplification that directly involve you. (You can sort of do this already by going to the “All expenses” tab and viewing all the individual transactions involved in a debt simplification.)

• Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base