General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Add expenses via email

It would be killer to be able to email a set email address (ie, bills@splitwise) with a bill name and attachment and have it automatically added as an expense and add the attachment.

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Updating since it’s been a while. We still really like this idea, unfortunately, there’s not a lot of momentum around it. We also haven’t figured out the best way to implement it yet. We’ll leave it open for now for further voting and comments.

2. add a 'by calendar' split method

Our household recently had some of its occupants change, and so the payment of things like rent and bills has been complicated. We needed to figureout who was present for each bill, and for how much, and therefore how much they should pay as a result.

Splitting 'by shares' and entering the number of days that people were around was a good solution here, but it's a pain to keep track of that manually.

What I'd love is a calendar where people can be added or removed. Then when an electricity bill comes in (covering 90 days), the date-range for…

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. settle up as of <date>

the ability to select a bill and settle up at that point, so settle up all bills before this (and perhaps insert that payment into the timeline there)

so if I had 3 bills and I owed $80
    April Gas : $20
    march Food: $40
    March Gas $20

I could select "March Food" and settle up all my previous payments (march food and gas) and after it would look like this

you Owe $20
    April Gas : $20
    Rich paid $60
    march Food: $40
    March Gas $20

THANKS!

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re not currently planning to add something like this as we believe it would not be used by many users and would therefore unnecessarily complicate the interface. If this idea gets a lot of votes, we’ll reconsider.

Marshall

4. Allow an end date for recurring payments, or build an incremental recurring payment option

This would allow me to pay someone back in increments until the whole amount is paid back. For example, my fiance paid for flights for our upcoming vacation. I want to pay him back $700 over the next 6 months, so I'd like to set up a recurring monthly payment of $117 that ends after 6 payments. Alternatively, you could add another option for divided bills that automatically calculates and schedules gradual payments.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! I see how this would be a good improvement. Are you aware that you can set a payment to reoccur already, although we don’t have as fine tuning as you’d like? If you need any help setting our (basic) reoccuring feature up please email support@splitwise.com. Thanks, Zoe

5. Show dates on mobile app

Like the design of the website, showing the dates on the list of transactions would help differentiate between multiple charges from the same place but on different days.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! I believe we originally left out dates for each individual item to prevent cluttering up the screen (there’s only so much space on a phone screen, after all). I’ll pass on the suggestion, though! For now, you should be able to see the date by tapping on an individual expense and looking at the top of the details screen, beneath the description and cost.

6. Suggested improvement

You should make it so that AFTER having amounts divided among all of the various parties, that you can combine people into a group.
    This is useful when a couple is involved. For example, a group trip where there's 1 couple and 2 single people.
    It's easier to have them separate to start, because they each have stayed at the hotel or eaten the meals as individuals. But then paying, it is easier to have them as 1 entity.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow linkage to Chase Quickpay

Chase quickpay is a quick method of payment that is offered by Chase bank and something I use with a lot of people. Would be great to see it added to the payment options instead of just paypal and Venmo. Thanks! Loving Splitwise! Thanks for making life as a student easier between my friends and I - no more sending and forgetting Excel spreadsheets!

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion and for your kind words about Splitwise.

We will considering adding Chase Quickpay integration if the idea gets popular amongst our user base, and if Chase begins providing a free API for Quickpay (that’s the tech thing we’d need to do the integration).

In the meanwhile, sorry for any inconvenience and thanks for using Splitwise!

ZC

8. Add location to expense

It would be better if we add location of where the expense is made and filter the expense then it would be more easier..

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Krishna – thanks for the suggestion! We’ve thought a bit about location data before, and it’s something that might show up in a future version of the app. Until then, apologies for any inconvenience!

9. Add possibility for paypal.me link

The new service from paypal offers new possibilities to transfer money more easily to freinds and family with a link like https://www.paypal.me/username/25.43

It makes sense to include the possibility to settle up via this link or to generate the link as such for further sharing. (by adding the paypal.me-username to the splitwise-account)

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Interesting. I haven’t seen this yet. It’s unlikely we’ll be able to support this as our control over how the PayPal code works is limited, but it’s definitely worth looking into.

Marshall

10. Bills paid by multiple people: "Each person paid an equal share"

When adding a bill which was paid by multiple people you should be able to select an option "Each person paid an equal share" in addition to the available option "Each person paid for their own share".

This is especially useful for couples having a shared bank account / credit card or for shared bills where everyone just chipped in the same amount of money (but one still wants to split the items afterwards).

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. add a group chat feature

if you have a group chat feature irrespective of the comments it would be very helpful

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. import from CSV take 2

I read through your reasoning on why you don't want to tackle supporting import from CSV. There is no standard, and creating one can be messy, particularly with the details you mentioned. However, the cases, if limited to a two-way split are simple to start and would cover that scenario.

I would expect to download a sample CSV (or my own db from your website), append to it exactly as it is, and reupload it to your parser. If a case isn't covered a quick "we don't understand this line please run us through it can feed back into a…

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the detailed thoughts! Building an importer is definitely possible, but it just hasn’t been a high enough priority for us yet – only a handful of people have asked for it, and we’re a tiny team (2 developers), so other updates end up taking precedence. We might get to it someday, but I wouldn’t expect it any time soon, unfortunately.

If you’re feeling brave though (and you’re willing to ignore XKCD’s advice), we do have an API you could use for importing! Docs are here: http://dev.splitwise.com. Maybe someone will put a nice CSV import program up on GitHub for the power users :)

13. To have detailed expenses report and category wise if needed

When I see printable summary for my group apartment, I should be able to know that in a current month , how much I have spent in total presently it only show how much you owe etc. and also category wise like entertainment , groceries other.

This could help me to record my expenses and manage them in a better way.

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You should be able to get some of this information already from our website. If you click the “Trends” button at the top of the right-hand sidebar, then click “View more charts” at the bottom of the right-hand sidebar, you’ll get a chart with details about your total spending and your breakdown by category.

We may bring some of that info into the printable summary in the future, but for now, I hope that helps!

14. Mac App

It would be great if there was a mac app version - it could integrate with the notification centre for transfers and thing.

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add the ability to add guests

When splitting bills, Splitwise works great for people that are already added into the app / website. However, for temporary guests, it becomes more of a hassle as after splitting the bill out since there's no room to add them.

The only solution now is to list it into comments.

There should be an option to add a 'Guest' slot, maybe by hitting a + button that allows you to add AND name another person that's not on Splitwise. From there, you'd be able to split the bill accordingly.

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Interesting thought! Normally we’d just encourage you to add this new person as a friend or group member on Splitwise (hooray, new friends!), but I’ll pass on your suggestion at our next team meeting.

16. Swish

Connect to Swish (Swedish market) for ease of settling

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Suggest who should pick up the tab

When entering a new bill (particularly at a restaurant, but there are many scenarios), once all of the names have been entered into "With you and", figure out who owes the most money among the participants and suggest that person as the "Paid by".

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Pooling the money

Lets say an future event/trip is planned where by several group members pool in the money with only one or two of the group over a period of time. And at the event or trip these one or two people spend the money on behalf of others. So this would ideally be a transfer at the beggining and then the actual expense.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ll pass on the suggestion! For now, you might try creating a group with an extra member named “Pool” – you could have everyone pay that fake member some money to start, and then that fake member could pay for expenses that come out of the group pool. Hope that helps!

19. Display the old and new balances for each person involved in Debt Simplification

Debt simplification is a very good idea, but it lacks one most important thing. The old and new balances for each participant with the friends they simplified with. This is causing a lot of confusion, as to who was owing how much before the debt was simplified. So, it is urgently required if you could add the details about how much each person paid and how much each person gets back after the debt simplification.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Option to remove decimal display per currency

Just as the title says. Simple, give us an option to not display the .00 decimal in the app, or even better, determine and specify which currencies actually use decimal point amount of money.

I live in Korea I use Korean Won, naturally, which isn't applicable for decimal notation and I'm pretty sure quite a few more (if not most) currencies don't use decimals.

As a result, entering costs in Splitwise app now requires entering two more zeroes after the dot. KRW 38,500.00 is a pain...

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Very sorry for the trouble! Long-term, we would definitely like to add better support for international currencies with different numbers of decimals, but it will probably be a while before we get around to it. The vast majority of our users use currencies with 2 decimal places, and adding proper support for 0 or 3 decimal places (the other two common values for world currencies) will require significant technical effort both on our servers and in our mobile apps.

Again, apologies for the inconvenience!

• Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base