General

1. Suggested improvement

You should make it so that AFTER having amounts divided among all of the various parties, that you can combine people into a group.
    This is useful when a couple is involved. For example, a group trip where there's 1 couple and 2 single people.
    It's easier to have them separate to start, because they each have stayed at the hotel or eaten the meals as individuals. But then paying, it is easier to have them as 1 entity.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow linkage to Chase Quickpay

Chase quickpay is a quick method of payment that is offered by Chase bank and something I use with a lot of people. Would be great to see it added to the payment options instead of just paypal and Venmo. Thanks! Loving Splitwise! Thanks for making life as a student easier between my friends and I - no more sending and forgetting Excel spreadsheets!

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion and for your kind words about Splitwise.

We will considering adding Chase Quickpay integration if the idea gets popular amongst our user base, and if Chase begins providing a free API for Quickpay (that’s the tech thing we’d need to do the integration).

In the meanwhile, sorry for any inconvenience and thanks for using Splitwise!

ZC

3. To have detailed expenses report and category wise if needed

When I see printable summary for my group apartment, I should be able to know that in a current month , how much I have spent in total presently it only show how much you owe etc. and also category wise like entertainment , groceries other.

This could help me to record my expenses and manage them in a better way.

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You should be able to get some of this information already from our website. If you click the “Trends” button at the top of the right-hand sidebar, then click “View more charts” at the bottom of the right-hand sidebar, you’ll get a chart with details about your total spending and your breakdown by category.

We may bring some of that info into the printable summary in the future, but for now, I hope that helps!

4. Suggest who should pick up the tab

When entering a new bill (particularly at a restaurant, but there are many scenarios), once all of the names have been entered into "With you and", figure out who owes the most money among the participants and suggest that person as the "Paid by".

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Option to track our monthly expenditure

At present, only the money owed is being tracked. It would be great if we could enter our personal expenditures too and also have the total expenditure number for each month.

Provide some comparison charts for each group, comparing the expenditure of current month with the previous etc.

Its highly probable that many of the users who use splitwise and similar sites to track the splitting, also use some other sites to track their own expenditures. So why not bring both together under one roof! :)

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are currently in the process of evaluating different types of expenses and relationships with those expenses. Tracking personal expenses is something we’ve discussed and want, we just need to figure out where it fits on the schedule.

6. Add the ability to add guests

When splitting bills, Splitwise works great for people that are already added into the app / website. However, for temporary guests, it becomes more of a hassle as after splitting the bill out since there's no room to add them.

The only solution now is to list it into comments.

There should be an option to add a 'Guest' slot, maybe by hitting a + button that allows you to add AND name another person that's not on Splitwise. From there, you'd be able to split the bill accordingly.

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Interesting thought! Normally we’d just encourage you to add this new person as a friend or group member on Splitwise (hooray, new friends!), but I’ll pass on your suggestion at our next team meeting.

7. Override language settings using an in-app language selector

It would be great if the default language which is currently preset by phone settings can be overwritten using an in-app language selector.
    Thanks!

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion and sorry if you prefer to use Splitwise in English when the rest of your phone is another language. We haven’t seen any other apps that allow you to do this, and it would be fairly difficult for us to build, so this is not something we’re going to be able to do in the near term. That said I’m leaving this “under review” in case a lot of other users would like us to build it.

If you’re annoyed about a particular aspect of the translation, please let us know at translators@splitwise.com. Thanks for your patience!

Best,
    Jon

8. Login with Google/Facebook even for the app

Have an option of logging in using Google/Facebook even for the mobile app

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi there. We do support Google login on Android. We may bring other social login options to mobile some day but it’s not on the road map presently.

If you created a web account via Facebook / Google, you can still log into that account on mobile. Just visit ‘account settings’ in the web app and add a password to your account. Then you can log in on mobile using your Facebook / Google ID and the password you set.

9. Swish

Connect to Swish (Swedish market) for ease of settling

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Mac App

It would be great if there was a mac app version - it could integrate with the notification centre for transfers and thing.

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Profile picture default

Users should be given the option of having the default picture (the one with stickman body and rectangle face) as their profile picture. At this point, if a user uploads a personal picture once, there is no option of not having any profile picture/default profile picture, he/she must use a custom picture of his choice.

The option to remove any custom picture and revert it to factory setting profile picture should be enabled.

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add Date Range Search

I feel like it would be better to filter out the details based on the expense logged in dates. Like giving a date range selection and after I search, I would be able to see the results (either within a group or in all the group) particularly in the selected date range.

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! Just to be clear: you want to view your bills filtered by the day they were added, instead of by the date on the bill, correct? I’ll pass on that feedback.

For now, your best bet is probably to take a look at the “recent activity” screen, which shows all changes in your account in order of when they happened. I realize that’s not the best screen for looking through a large amount of data, though, so apologies for the trouble!

13. set a count for how many times an expense should recur

This applies to both the Mobile and web apps. There is an option in the date pop up where you can select the expense to recur at an interval (weekly, fortnightly, monthly etc). My suggestion is to include an option to select how many times it should recur.

For example, a friend of mine borrowed cash which he promised to pay back in 6 equal installments. Split wise allows me to opt for the expense to recur monthly, but doesn't allow me to limit it to 6 times.

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Sort by outstanding debt

We use the app for a coffee club...The person with the biggest outstanding debt pays for everyone's coffee (well, whoever wants coffee at the time). Currently we need to scan the entire list of balances to find out who is most in debt to the group. Having a sort by debt function would save it's valuable seconds!

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Interesting – I’ll pass on the suggestion! Can I ask how many people are in your group? I want to make sure I understand your use case as well as possible…most groups on Splitwise involve 3-5 people, so I think we figured that you’d usually be able to see everyone’s balance at a glance even without sorting.

15. Add possibility for paypal.me link

The new service from paypal offers new possibilities to transfer money more easily to freinds and family with a link like https://www.paypal.me/username/25.43

It makes sense to include the possibility to settle up via this link or to generate the link as such for further sharing. (by adding the paypal.me-username to the splitwise-account)

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Interesting. I haven’t seen this yet. It’s unlikely we’ll be able to support this as our control over how the PayPal code works is limited, but it’s definitely worth looking into.

Marshall

16. Option to remove decimal display per currency

Just as the title says. Simple, give us an option to not display the .00 decimal in the app, or even better, determine and specify which currencies actually use decimal point amount of money.

I live in Korea I use Korean Won, naturally, which isn't applicable for decimal notation and I'm pretty sure quite a few more (if not most) currencies don't use decimals.

As a result, entering costs in Splitwise app now requires entering two more zeroes after the dot. KRW 38,500.00 is a pain...

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Very sorry for the trouble! Long-term, we would definitely like to add better support for international currencies with different numbers of decimals, but it will probably be a while before we get around to it. The vast majority of our users use currencies with 2 decimal places, and adding proper support for 0 or 3 decimal places (the other two common values for world currencies) will require significant technical effort both on our servers and in our mobile apps.

Again, apologies for the inconvenience!

17. Export notes as well

When exporting to a spreadsheet, it would be awesome if all the information related to transaction is also saved as an excel file (rather than CSV). Currently notes and attached images are not exported.

Saving as an excel file, will give more flexibility to add links to images saved along with a transaction.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! I can see how notes and attachments would be useful, though we’d have to think a bit about how exactly to structure the spreadsheet (we probably wouldn’t want just one “notes” column, or each cell might have a huge amount of text). I’ll add this to our list of possible improvements for the next time we’re working on printouts and exports.

18. Enable Photo Export (Enhance export csv)

Enable photo export... this could help when doing expense claim in a company.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! That definitely makes sense as a feature on our apps.

There is already a way to export your receipts, but only on the website (splitwise.com). If you click an expense that has a receipt, and then click on the receipt itself, you’ll notice that the image opens up in a new tab. From there, you can just right click on it to save the image.

19. Create a Quicken Web Connect service

It would be really great to have a web connect feature with Splitwise to Quicken. Since half of my transactions are complete by my significant other, we each only see a portion of our actual expenses in our respective transaction history via our banks. This actually makes it kind of difficult to get a clear picture of what we are spending our money on.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. NEVER EVER allow accounts to be created without properly linking PayPal or Venmo to both PAY and RECEIVE PAYMENTS

Splitwise currently allows different emails for Splitwise and Venmo accounts without linking them. The result is that Splitwise fails to connect to an account for you to RECEIVE payments but it takes them from you.

Splitwise should NEVER EVER allow accounts to be created that haven't properly been linked for BOTH paying AND receiving payments.

This is Splitwise's fault for not having a verification system. Splitwise needs to fix this problem, otherwise people will pay you and it will just sit around.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! We’d definitely like to add more explicit confirmation for PayPal/Venmo payments in the future, and we’ve been working on the ability for a Splitwise user to have multiple email addresses for their account (e.g. one for PayPal, one for Venmo, etc). Hopefully we can make more improvements in this area this year.

• Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base