General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Display the old and new balances for each person involved in Debt Simplification

Debt simplification is a very good idea, but it lacks one most important thing. The old and new balances for each participant with the friends they simplified with. This is causing a lot of confusion, as to who was owing how much before the debt was simplified. So, it is urgently required if you could add the details about how much each person paid and how much each person gets back after the debt simplification.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Option to remove decimal display per currency

Just as the title says. Simple, give us an option to not display the .00 decimal in the app, or even better, determine and specify which currencies actually use decimal point amount of money.

I live in Korea I use Korean Won, naturally, which isn't applicable for decimal notation and I'm pretty sure quite a few more (if not most) currencies don't use decimals.

As a result, entering costs in Splitwise app now requires entering two more zeroes after the dot. KRW 38,500.00 is a pain...

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Very sorry for the trouble! Long-term, we would definitely like to add better support for international currencies with different numbers of decimals, but it will probably be a while before we get around to it. The vast majority of our users use currencies with 2 decimal places, and adding proper support for 0 or 3 decimal places (the other two common values for world currencies) will require significant technical effort both on our servers and in our mobile apps.

Again, apologies for the inconvenience!

3. Option to track our monthly expenditure

At present, only the money owed is being tracked. It would be great if we could enter our personal expenditures too and also have the total expenditure number for each month.

Provide some comparison charts for each group, comparing the expenditure of current month with the previous etc.

Its highly probable that many of the users who use splitwise and similar sites to track the splitting, also use some other sites to track their own expenditures. So why not bring both together under one roof! :)

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are currently in the process of evaluating different types of expenses and relationships with those expenses. Tracking personal expenses is something we’ve discussed and want, we just need to figure out where it fits on the schedule.

4. Add Date Range Search

I feel like it would be better to filter out the details based on the expense logged in dates. Like giving a date range selection and after I search, I would be able to see the results (either within a group or in all the group) particularly in the selected date range.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! Just to be clear: you want to view your bills filtered by the day they were added, instead of by the date on the bill, correct? I’ll pass on that feedback.

For now, your best bet is probably to take a look at the “recent activity” screen, which shows all changes in your account in order of when they happened. I realize that’s not the best screen for looking through a large amount of data, though, so apologies for the trouble!

5. Enable Photo Export (Enhance export csv)

Enable photo export... this could help when doing expense claim in a company.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! That definitely makes sense as a feature on our apps.

There is already a way to export your receipts, but only on the website (splitwise.com). If you click an expense that has a receipt, and then click on the receipt itself, you’ll notice that the image opens up in a new tab. From there, you can just right click on it to save the image.

6. set a count for how many times an expense should recur

This applies to both the Mobile and web apps. There is an option in the date pop up where you can select the expense to recur at an interval (weekly, fortnightly, monthly etc). My suggestion is to include an option to select how many times it should recur.

For example, a friend of mine borrowed cash which he promised to pay back in 6 equal installments. Split wise allows me to opt for the expense to recur monthly, but doesn't allow me to limit it to 6 times.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Login with Google/Facebook even for the app

Have an option of logging in using Google/Facebook even for the mobile app

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi there. We do support Google login on Android. We may bring other social login options to mobile some day but it’s not on the road map presently.

If you created a web account via Facebook / Google, you can still log into that account on mobile. Just visit ‘account settings’ in the web app and add a password to your account. Then you can log in on mobile using your Facebook / Google ID and the password you set.

8. Please add an option to filter out expenses/payments by user

Please provide an option to filter out expenses/payments by user , similar to the option of hide expenses not involving me.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’ll pass on the suggestion! For now, you may be able to use “Export as spreadsheet” to accomplish some of this. You can export a spreadsheet from our website by going to a group or friend, then clicking the settings icon in the upper right and choosing “Export”. Hope that helps!

9. Advance payment between friends

There are instances when there is an advance payment involved ( including yourself ) between friends and then expenses deduct the money.
    I am not able to add my own share ( advance payment ) in a group. Typically in this scenario its like X pays X ( which is not a valid scenario in other conditions )

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I can definitely see how this would be useful! Hopefully we can consider adding support for a “kitty fund” or the like sometime in the future.

For now, I’ve seen a few people simulate this by adding an additional member to their group called “Kitty fund”, and using that extra member to keep track of shared funds. For example, if everyone pays $100 to the kitty fund at the beginning of the month, then you can choose the kitty fund as the payer for new expenses like groceries or rent. Splitwise should accurately update to show how much money the kitty fund has left (e.g. “The kitty fund owes $50” = the kitty fund has $50 left). It’s definitely a bit of a hack, but it might be worth trying if you and your friends always split bills this way.

10. Allow for late entries to group be easily added to previously added expenses

I add cab ride and invite 3 people to "cab ride" group. The cost of cab ride should be split between me and 3 people. 2 people and myself join group so splitwise divides it by 3. 4th person then joins group and has to manually be added to expenses. This process becomes horrible when there are 20 people and many expenses for a weekend. Perhaps split up the settlements and expenses so I don't have to go hunting for items to add latecomers. Seriously, make it more like Excel, this interface is childish.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add a payment gateway

Provide a way to pay the people to whom we owe.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Navneet! We support a few options in the US (PayPal and Venmo), and we just added an integration with Paytm for our Indian users. We’d love to add more. Hopefully in the future!

12. Calendar

a calendar feature that helps a home group keep track of who gets paid when, and when bills are due. To help figure out who will actually pay the bill, and then be owed by the rest of the group.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks Randy! Have you tried using the ‘recurring bill’ feature? Interested to know whether that meets this need, or whether you think we need a calendar function on top of it. Thanks for using Splitwise and writing in!

13. More mobile notifications rather email

Like if someone pays me then it must be a push notification. For every notification i am the one who should choose what type of msg i get bt in most push notification is bot an option.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add SMS text notifications

Some people in my groups don't have smart phones and don't check email too often. A good solution to missed notifications would be to send a SMS text message to their phone number.

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! I don’t think we’re likely to add SMS notifications in the near future, but I can see how they’d be useful for certain groups of people. I’ll mention this at our next planning meeting.

15. Fix recurring item edits

Recurring items should have a start date and an end date. When My apartment lease came to an end, I had to "delete" the expense, which actually ended up deleting the last time it occurred, rather than all the future occurrences! Not intuitive behavior, and it was not clear that would happen.
    Thanks

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re working on the messaging of how our expenses (especially ones like recurring bills) work as we speak.

This does sound like something that we need to address for sure. Thanks so much for letting us know!

16. Profile picture default

Users should be given the option of having the default picture (the one with stickman body and rectangle face) as their profile picture. At this point, if a user uploads a personal picture once, there is no option of not having any profile picture/default profile picture, he/she must use a custom picture of his choice.

The option to remove any custom picture and revert it to factory setting profile picture should be enabled.

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow custom messages to be sent to group members from Splitwise Group

I would like to send a custom message to specific members of a Group directly from Splitwise. I've tried using the whiteboard function but that doesn't seem to work very well.

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Are you aware of the ability to send reminders, or comment on specific expenses? You can send an email to a fellow group member by clicking on their name in the right sidebar, then clicking the “Send reminder” button. You can leave comments on specific expenses by clicking the expense, then entering a comment in the comment box – the other people involved in the bill should get an email about your comment. I hope that helps!

18. Sort by outstanding debt

We use the app for a coffee club...The person with the biggest outstanding debt pays for everyone's coffee (well, whoever wants coffee at the time). Currently we need to scan the entire list of balances to find out who is most in debt to the group. Having a sort by debt function would save it's valuable seconds!

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Interesting – I’ll pass on the suggestion! Can I ask how many people are in your group? I want to make sure I understand your use case as well as possible…most groups on Splitwise involve 3-5 people, so I think we figured that you’d usually be able to see everyone’s balance at a glance even without sorting.

19. Disable loading phone contacts when entering a transaction

If I want to enter a transaction, I want to do this fast, so spent the least possible amount of time on searching and including the right person. The Android app shows all my phonebook contacts, which is not convienient if I just quickly want to add a transaction.

Maybe a separate "import phonebook contacts" button can be made available

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. NEVER EVER allow accounts to be created without properly linking PayPal or Venmo to both PAY and RECEIVE PAYMENTS

Splitwise currently allows different emails for Splitwise and Venmo accounts without linking them. The result is that Splitwise fails to connect to an account for you to RECEIVE payments but it takes them from you.

Splitwise should NEVER EVER allow accounts to be created that haven't properly been linked for BOTH paying AND receiving payments.

This is Splitwise's fault for not having a verification system. Splitwise needs to fix this problem, otherwise people will pay you and it will just sit around.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! We’d definitely like to add more explicit confirmation for PayPal/Venmo payments in the future, and we’ve been working on the ability for a Splitwise user to have multiple email addresses for their account (e.g. one for PayPal, one for Venmo, etc). Hopefully we can make more improvements in this area this year.

• Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base