General

1. Add support for bills recurring every n weeks (where n is a positive integer)

I can currently add weekly and fortnightly recurring bills, but not every 3 or 4 weeks.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion – this definitely makes sense! Our recurring bill system is pretty basic right now, but hopefully we’ll have a chance to spruce it up in the future. It’d be great to support more flexible kinds of bills (every 3 weeks, the last Thursday of every month, things like that).

2. Add an option for a lump-sum Splitwise Pro payment

I like Splitwise a lot and have gotten a lot of use out of it, so I would like to subscribe to Splitwise Pro to support the site. However, I am uneasy about adding recurring, monthly expenses to my bank statement. Would it be possible to add a non-recurring subscription option? I would be perfectly fine with a resubscribe email getting sent in a (month/year) but I do not like automatic charges. Thank you!

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re definitely considering this! We’re running a variety of tests right now to decide exactly how we’ll be offering Splitwise Pro (pay-what-you-want, fixed cost, etc).

3. allow formatting of numbers

may be useful to have a setting whereby you can change the format of the numbers, e.g. decimals, show "1000" as "1,000" etc. thanks

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Have total bill payment

Im still a little confused. So im not sure if this is already possible or if this is my idea. But when it comes to utilities all parties need to pay. At the beginning no one has "paid" it and all i nthe group needs to be notified. Once everyone has made their payment to the person responsible then it can show who owes who. can you add a "pay self" option or "pay bill" maybe. it was hard to set up rent payment because it looked like i already paid it and my roommates still owed.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve had a few requests for this feature and we have discussed different ways to make this work. While we haven’t discounted the “future” payment style, it’s going to be a little bit before we can get to it.

5. Payment Repeat

I would to have an option to repeat a payment for a certain number of times.
    For instance, repeat $10 for 5 months.
    As of now, I am not able to restrict the number of installments to repeat

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Interesting idea, thanks for the suggestion!

I’m leaving your idea as “under review” to see if others have the same request. Our repeating expenses system could definitely be improved in several ways, but to be honest, doing so isn’t on the medium term roadmap at the moment.

Best,
    Jon

6. Add tax support and partial split

There is a typical case I meet usually: I went to Walmart with my two roommates. X bought $10 things for himself, Y bought $12, Z bought $15. Meanwhile, we bought $30 things for sharing. And X paid the bill. Note that the money above didn't include the tax (I'm in US, one has to pay additional 8.75% tax of the original price). In this case we want to split the $30 and its tax equally, while each pay for his own thing including that tax. Since on the receipt the tax is only a sum, it's annoying for us…

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble – I’ll pass on the feedback! For now, you could try adding your bill on our website and choosing “itemized bill” as the split method, which includes some handling for tax (and for splitting up a bill’s items between multiple people).

7. 23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Expense/Payment list filters

Provide the option to select individual members, multiple members, specific expense types (grogeries, bills, payments, ect).

Also, alowing for collapse/expand of individual months in the list would be a nice feature to clean things up.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is an idea that I think would be a great addition to the site. I’m not sure when we could fit it in our schedule, but it’s something I think would be a useful way to organize expenses.

9. Ability to change who you owe money to

When simplified debt is on, it'd be great to be able to change who you owe money to, ie select the person that you will settle up with. This will allow couples to settle up with each other first.
    Otherwise set preferences on who each person will settle with. Ie A always settles with C is C is owed money, balance to whoever else.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi there Scott,

This is an interesting idea, and thanks for your feedback. It makes sense for cases where, for instance, one person lives in the same city as another, so it would be easier to manually assign the debts than to let Simplify Debts do its thing.

One work-around you can use it simply ignore the recommendations, and just pay who you want to settle up with; Splitwise will automatically re-adjust to accommodate your choices.

That said, I’ll leave this open for other people to upvote if they’d like it, but we’re not at all likely to do this because it would be a large change to the way we handle debt calculations.

Best,
    Jon

10. Add more payment options

You could have more payment connectors, like apple pay, android pay, debit card. Also, keep an eye for international platforms, I'm an international user and I'd love to use my local payment systems (There's a startup here in Brazil called PicPay, it's a venmo copycat). That would drive adoption A LOT!

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re definitely interested in adding more payment options! Unfortunately, some of the more well-known options (Apple Pay, Android Pay) don’t currently allow third-party apps to send person-to-person payments, so we haven’t been able to add them yet, but we’re hopeful that those companies will open up their APIs in the future. And non-US payment providers are definitely on our to-do list too! :)

11. 22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. editing future dates and quarterly bills

Its a mild inconvenience that I cannot edit the next months recurring bills until the month it is due. So when I have a bill due on 7/4, and I don't want to have to wait have edit it till a few days before. I could just enter it in as a new bill, but I'd rather be able to edit the recurring and give more notice to my roommates.

I've also noticed that I cannot enter a recurring bill that's quarterly. This has led to some confusion between my roommates when they see a "new" bill. I'd rather it…

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi, Jon here. Thanks for these great suggestions, and your patience with the recurring system.

We definitely have improvements in mind for recurring bills, and these are both great points. Sorry for the inconvenience, and we’ll check back on both quarterly recurrences and pre-editing of recurring bills when we get to updating the recurring system.

13. Improved Debt Simplification with more clarity

Debt Simplification in its current form is quite limited. Even when I initiate the Debt Simplification on my end, I am not able to quite figure out how the debt got simplified. This is because whenever a debt simplification is made, multiple entries are added and it is difficult to correlate them.

It would be great if debt simplification was shown as a single entry for an individual debt simplification operation so that everyone involved is able to identify how the debts have been shuffled. This can be made clearer by showing a diagram with names or any other graphical…

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’d definitely like to improve clarity on debt simplification. In most situations, it’s impossible to show the full details of a debt simplification without compromising privacy, but we may be able to show only the parts of a simplification that directly involve you. (You can sort of do this already by going to the “All expenses” tab and viewing all the individual transactions involved in a debt simplification.)

14. show group total by category spending

so I know how much I spent on a trip by category

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add preferred people to debt simplification

Debt Simplification can be more awesome if i can re-simplify adding a preferred payer

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Sorting order

On the home screen, the owe-ees should rise to the top, then have contacts listed in alphabetical :)

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll pass it on at our next design meeting.

For now, if you’d like to quickly view only the people you have balances with, just tap the “you owe” or “you get back” cell above the list of people (where it lists your total balance), and the screen will update to only show the relevant people. Hope that helps!

17. Improve the way Splitwise handles multi-currency

Recent trip to Vietnam with four people and three currencies While we were able to capture all the payments in VND, SGD and USD, once it came to settling it all turned bad. The interface is very clearly made for single currency and thus has many instances where only one field is provided (e.g. in the dashboard, the group overview, etc.). Occasionally there's grey text underneath showing some of the other currencies, but when it came to settling up it became an unholy mess very quickly. The problem was compounded by some expenses being recorded on the group and others…

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Tom, sorry for all the trouble! We definitely want to keep improving multi-currency support – Splitwise can handle the math correctly, but the interface doesn’t show all that information very well.

Hopefully we’ll have time to improve this on iOS and Android next year, but it might take us a little while – multiple currencies are only used by a few % of our users, and as a very small company (2 engineers) we’re a bit swamped with feature requests. Still, it’s something I really want to work on, especially since it’s something that Splitwise could be really helpful for. In the meantime, my apologies for the inconvenience!

18. Allow users to 'opt-in' to expenses

For example: if someone buys shared food and puts it out in the apartment, each user should have the option to join the split (but should not be forced to join it by default).

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is an interesting idea! We’re already planning to add some features that will make it easier to split things by “shares”, and this could be a good extension of that.

19. Create "Create Plan" Option Under Payment

Hello!

Wonderful job on the improvements over the past few months. I really appreciate the support I have gotten using this wonderful service!

I recently needed to borrow a good amount of money from my father as I am between jobs. Right now there's a huge balance, but there's also an understanding that I will pay him back over time now that I've found gainful employment.

This debt is the only thing I don't have a website to go to that tells me what my minimum payment is. I know that other debt situations with my friends/family in my life…

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve been using Splitwise for this kind of thing internally for a while, so this could be something we add in the future, though it seems like a rarely used feature.

Marshall

20. Allow searching of categories

Would be helpful to have the option of searching categories from the list when adding a new expense.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion – I can definitely see how this’d be useful for some people. Just out of curiosity, do you use our iPhone app, our Android app, or our website? I’ll add this to our list of possible improvements for the future.

1 2 5 7 9 39 40
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base