Skip to content

General

208 results found

1. Debt Balancing

Debt simplification is awesome, but can get out of hand when people don't pay back their debts as the money can end up getting funneled to one person.

For example:
    In our situation we have a group for our apartment. We take advantage of splitwise so that people can easily buy things for other people and know its covered. We also have a recurring payment for rent which is paid by to one person (A) who then pays the bill itself. At the end of each month if everyone zeros out it's perfect. However if someone (B) comes up short…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

We’ve generally been careful not to add more features to debt simplification, since it already confuses a lot of people, but I’ll pass on this suggestion and see what the team thinks. Thanks for the idea!

2. Dont block users (i.e. make them wait) when saving the current 'card'

When one clicks a 'save' button after entering the expenses, the app syncs the data from the server not in the background but allows the user to wait for the card to disappear, which might take a dozen of seconds to happen on a slow internet connection. I think you might have figured out by now that what needs to be done ;)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! This definitely makes sense, though I know there are also some technical concerns (such as what to do when saving the expense returns an error). Still, hopefully something we can add in a future update :)

3. Footer when logged in.

On other places in your site I'm able to access the calculators, about page, etc down at the bottom, but when I'm on the dashboard those links are missing. Need consistency. Love the site though overall!

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

I’ll pass on this feedback! We recently added a link to the calculators on the dashboard (in the right-hand sidebar), but the about page and others are definitely quite hard to find.

4. add keyboard shortcuts

Keyboard shortcuts are a great way for power users to take full advantage of the web app, and would be especially helpful when batch adding many bills at the same time (eg multiple receipts). Check out the javascript library mousetrap for a quick and easy way to add them.

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  5. Automatic mail trigger for settlement

Automatic mail should be trigger to me inorder remain me for settlement. the remainder mail can be monthly or weekly or biweekly based on the setup done by the user

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

By default, Splitwise sends a monthly summary email to all users, telling them about the expenses that have been added this month and reminding them how much they owe. We’ve talked about adding an option to receive this email weekly, but I’m not sure if/when that will happen.

6. Bank account details somewhere/anywhere

Hi. Liking this service so far.

Its nice keeping track of debts, however, it is not much use not knowing how to pay it. (Not everyone uses paypal).

In UK and Australia, someone just needs bank account details to do a transfer. Would be nice either to have one or all of the following:

1. My own account details available for my friends to see. Even if not in their own fields, maybe in a "other info" memo type field.

2. Or be able to put my own comments on my friends so I can make a note of their account details.…

419 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    161 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Storing bank account #s is unfortunately tricky, as there are some serious security concerns around bank #s here in the US and in some other countries. Still, we’d like to do it if possible. It’s not on our roadmap yet, but we’re definitely considering it for the future.

7. Allow a bill to send email notification to all involved

I see that you don't want to spam by enabling email notifications by default, but what if you allow the bill creator to check a box saying "notify all involved in this bill," and when you send the email, say "User X asked us to send this to you" (or something to that effect).

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This a decent suggestion – I’ll pass it on, though I’m not sure it’ll get on the roadmap in the near future. We tend to err on the side of caution, because when we send emails without users’ permission, we often get flagged as spam or have to deal with angry replies :( But this makes sense, and would definitely be useful.

8. Upcoming payments instead of "You Owe"

When you put in a payment that is due a month later, the web app shows it as "You Owe" right up there. I think this gives off kind of an in-your-face feeling. It would be better to separate it into periods/sections, where you show payments due this month, upcoming payments next month, etc. You Owe makes me think I have to pay something right now, even though it's due a month later.

Hope you find this helpful.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve been hesitant to break up bills into months or other chunks of time, given the many different ways in which people use Splitwise, but I can see how this might be useful. I’ll pass on the suggestion at our next design meeting :)

9. add the "quick add" function in Dashboard and "All expenses"

just the same way it's already there if you click on a person.

I understand (and support) the compromise to "hide" this function in the drop down menu in the orange "Add a bill" button as most users don't use the function and would be possibly confused if it wouldn't be "hidden".

But I totally don't understand this lack of consistency where some orange "Add a bill" buttons have this pull down menu (the ones you see if you click on a person) and some other orange "Add a bill" buttons looking the same and being at the same position…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’d like to add quick-add to the dashboard and all expenses pages in the future, but we want to spend some time improving quick-add first. As it is now, quick-add could cause some unfortunate scenarios – say, adding a bill from the dashboard and accidentally splitting it with every single one of your friends, instead of just the one person you meant to.

Hopefully we’ll be able to spruce up quick-add and bring it to those other screens sometime in the not-too-distant future.

10. Adjust bar length in dashboard according to currency rates

I currently have both Dollars and Korean Wons in my Dashboard. Sadly, the bars of the dollar amounts are tiny, since they are overwhelmed by the 20,000 Wons. Interestingly enough, 20,000 Wons are just $20. You should do currency conversion and adjust the sizes accordingly.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry about this! We know the dashboard bar graph isn’t that great if you use multiple currencies – improving that is on our to-do list, but not very high priority, since very few of our users use multiple currencies. Still, we hope to update it at some point!

11. Amount bars of friends on Dashboard

I think this is a simple hack, Friends are shown according to amount what they owe or I owe. Due to which if someone owes nothing or comparably very less amount then you have to abbreviate the name and on hover only you can know the details about amount and friends name.

Instead of this the bar which represents amount owed can be a box with light grey color which fills up according to amount owed. thus Friend's name and amount can be overlay-ed in same manner and always be visible. This way existing UI would be intact yet more…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. update pdf summaries of the months

the pdf summaries don't include rollover payments from previous months (if my roommates still owe me money last month it won't show effectively when looking at the pdf this month). also it says i owe my roommate when she actually paid me back for things she owes me for. the site is great, but if i ever needed to print out the pdf it would be all wrong.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow importing expenses from a Settle Up App

Currently I am using Settle Up and would like to import my expenses in your application

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Feature reques: Move personal balance to group

In the knowledge base article "Why am I settled up in my friendship but still have balances with my friend in groups?", I learned that I can move the balance with A in group G to personal balance with A. However, I need to do the other way around: move the personal balance with A to group G. The story is like this: I owe $1 from A, B, C, D personally and separately, however, they are all in group G, so I would rather to move them to G so that I owe the group $4. Further, if there…

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Definitely makes sense! We’re working on better ways of settling up across both personal debts and group debts, because we know it’s a pain in the neck right now :) We hope to have new features to help with that soon!

15. To add option to see yearly Expenses

I can see the expenses for individual months. If i want to see combined expenses for multiple months and yearly then there should be a option to see that expenses

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. email batching

just made a bunch of changes to things, someone got 18 emails :/

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add print option

Wanted to be able to print Trip split calculator to pass out to group of people before the trip. I can print it via web but looks better if it have print option for registered user to print it in print format.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  18. Textbox for Quantity

Next to the $ text box add a text box for Quantity which will help reduce the amount of time the user when entering itemized bills

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Not include payments in the expense summary

In the "charts" section, payments get included under "your share". I understand that you want to do the "you paid - your share = you are owed", but the result is that it's harder for me to see exactly how much my share of the trip actually was.

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Another good idea George! In fairness, it’s not actually included in the pie chart, just the table of expenses, but I hear what you are saying. If you want to see the trip as what you actually “spent” independent of the payments moving money around, it would be the sum of the “Your share” column minus the payments.

We’ll definitely discuss this issue more as we revisit the charts / why I owe what I owe interface. Thanks again!

20. Itemize each persons 'debts'

I wish I could click on the persons name on the left hand of the screen, see how much I owe them, and break it down exactly by what I owe and why.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We try to do this already – when you click a person’s name on the left, it should bring up a screen that tells you their total balance with you, and lists all of the transactions you have with that person (and how much you owe/are owed for each).

Unfortunately, it’s hard to break this down further for groups that use debt simplification…but we’re working on it! We have some ideas, and hopefully you’ll see some updates in the next few months.

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base