Skip to content

General

186 results found

1. Sorting on Expenses

Splitwise is an amazing website..Congratulation on building such a wonderful tool. .. I think you can add sorting on columns like person who paid expenses.. Sorting on expenses description and on other columns.. this helps when lot of people are involved in the group.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    4 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the details, Jitendra! I’ll pass on your suggestion. For now, you could try exporting your group to a spreadsheet, which would let you do some custom sorting. If you’d like to export to spreadsheet, just open your group page, then click the “Settings” icon at the top of the right sidebar and choose “Export as spreadsheet”. Hope that helps!

2. Add Date Range Search

I feel like it would be better to filter out the details based on the expense logged in dates. Like giving a date range selection and after I search, I would be able to see the results (either within a group or in all the group) particularly in the selected date range.

33 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! Just to be clear: you want to view your bills filtered by the day they were added, instead of by the date on the bill, correct? I’ll pass on that feedback.

For now, your best bet is probably to take a look at the “recent activity” screen, which shows all changes in your account in order of when they happened. I realize that’s not the best screen for looking through a large amount of data, though, so apologies for the trouble!

3. Make the 'final' amounts that group members owe each other far more obvious than the amount that you have 'lent' each group member.

As above.
    Once all the group members have joined and the receipts have been added, the amount 'lent' by each group member to the individual payees is FAR MORE OBVIOUS than the final 'balance' that you owe. Why do you have to click or hover the cursor over your name on the right hand side to see this balance. It's not the first thing that your eye is drawn to.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! Just trying to make sure I understand your feedback correctly – are you talking about the right-hand sidebar on the group screen, which lists each group member and their balance?

When looking at a group, we’ve generally found that people prefer to view the total balances of each group member, rather than the specific amount that each person owes you. I know that different people have different personal preferences, though, so sorry if that’s throwing you off!

I don’t think we’re likely to change which number is displayed there in the near future, but I’ll pass on your message and see if there are any tweaks we can think of to make this clearer. Again, apologies for the confusion!

4. add increase/decrease buttons next to shares number fields

Every time I use this feature I think about how nice it would be to not touch the keyboard while increasing shares ;)

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. make a chrome extension that adds a "splitwise" button to transactions on Mint

I don't always remember to split a transaction as soon as it happens, or the transaction is one that I'm not physically present for (like when the power company autobills). It would be cool if there was a chrome extension that scraped data from the Mint transactions page when I visit it so that when I review my transactions on Mint I can just click a button (inserted onto the page via extension) to auto-import that transaction into Splitwise

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We actually sort of love this idea (we’ve definitely thought about it before), though it hasn’t actually made it on to our roadmap yet, and I’m not sure if we’d do it by a Chrome extension or by some other means. In general, though, we think it would be super convenient to import expenses directly from your other accounts :) Hopefully in the future!

6. allow formatting of numbers

may be useful to have a setting whereby you can change the format of the numbers, e.g. decimals, show "1000" as "1,000" etc. thanks

34 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow manual archiving of group

Manual archiving of group should be allowed. If the trip is over and everyone is settled, I'd want to get rid of the group still keeping the record in archives.

168 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    53 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

I think this is a great idea! It’s not on the roadmap yet due to lots of other priorities voted higher, but one we’ve discussed and agreed totally makes sense. Thanks for submitting.

- Jon

8. send out a bit of details while simplifying debts.

bravo for all your efforts team! we have been using the app for a long period of time now. A couple weeks back you guys introduced a logic that would simplify/adjustdebts accordingly. While most of auch simplifications are trivial, some are not! And the intimation mail only mentions that splitwise has adjusted debts, I request you guys to add a set of details in the same mail, which may include who all were included and before/after of debt amouts. I am also a developer, I guess this would not be a hefty change ;-) Thanks guys, keep rocking!

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We’d love to include better details when simplifying debts, but it’s actually surprisingly hard to show those details in an intelligent way :) The math is very simple, but we’ve found that showing the complete data often confuses people – especially in very old groups, where the “unsimplified” totals might include thousands of dollars of payments to each other (which all cancel each other out).

Still, we definitely want to show more information! Hopefully we’ll be able to try a few new designs this year and find something that works. Until then, apologies for the inconvenience!

9. support item in itemized bill 'consumed' by X, but paid for by person(s) Y, Z

Every friday, I organize a group dinner. Frequently, people attend who are in a relationship. Sometimes, even non-monogamous (poly) relationships.

It would be really awesome if I could enter an itemized bill in this way:

item, cost, participants
    eggrolls, 8.00, Janet, Steve, Tim, April
    pad thai, 10.00, Janet
    basil chicken, 10.00, Steve
    fried chicken over fried rice, 10.00, Tim

Tax: 8.75%
    Tip: 20.00%

People pay for another:
    Janet: paid for by Steve, Tim

and thus get this break down:
    egg rolls: $3.00 for steve, $3.00 for tim, $2.00 for april
    pad thai: $5.00 for steve, $5.00 for tim

and then…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! I can see how this would be useful for group dinners and such. We haven’t worked on our itemized bill form for a while, as it’s a pretty infrequently used feature on Splitwise, but I’ll pass on your suggestion and add it to our list of possible improvements.

10. right bar

make the gear icon at the top right not look disabled when it's not selected

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. can total Owes you amount be in other color rather light green

can total Owes you amount be in other color rather light green? and split among groups in light green?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. import from CSV take 2

I read through your reasoning on why you don't want to tackle supporting import from CSV. There is no standard, and creating one can be messy, particularly with the details you mentioned. However, the cases, if limited to a two-way split are simple to start and would cover that scenario.

I would expect to download a sample CSV (or my own db from your website), append to it exactly as it is, and reupload it to your parser. If a case isn't covered a quick "we don't understand this line please run us through it can feed back into a…

64 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the detailed thoughts! Building an importer is definitely possible, but it just hasn’t been a high enough priority for us yet – only a handful of people have asked for it, and we’re a tiny team (2 developers), so other updates end up taking precedence. We might get to it someday, but I wouldn’t expect it any time soon, unfortunately.

If you’re feeling brave though (and you’re willing to ignore XKCD’s advice), we do have an API you could use for importing! Docs are here: http://dev.splitwise.com. Maybe someone will put a nice CSV import program up on GitHub for the power users :)

13. UI design tweak - "Are you sure?" confirmation popup before discarding yet-to-be-added bills.

I click "Add a bill", start filling up the details. I accidentally click "Esc", which discards the popup in its entirety with all the details I filled (especially sad when this happens for Itemized bills).

A simple popup "This bill hasn't been added yet, are you sure you want to discard?" would be a much loved (at least by me :))

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Oh no, sorry for the trouble! I can definitely see how this would prevent some accidents :) I’ll add it to our list of possible web improvements – I don’t think we’re planning much web work in the very near future, but hopefully soon!

14. Export notes as well

When exporting to a spreadsheet, it would be awesome if all the information related to transaction is also saved as an excel file (rather than CSV). Currently notes and attached images are not exported.

Saving as an excel file, will give more flexibility to add links to images saved along with a transaction.

38 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! I can see how notes and attachments would be useful, though we’d have to think a bit about how exactly to structure the spreadsheet (we probably wouldn’t want just one “notes” column, or each cell might have a huge amount of text). I’ll add this to our list of possible improvements for the next time we’re working on printouts and exports.

15. Allow select/deselect all in the simplify page

In the simplify option in settings, since there are a lot of check boxes, and I usually select all of them, it would be nice if there was a select all option.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Periodic payments

I have to add the same amount for Comcast and electricity bill every month. It would be nice to have a periodic payment for such types of bill

55 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    19 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Hey there! I can’t quite tell from your description – are you trying to add a recurring bill (e.g. a cable bill that’s the same cost every month), or a recurring payment to another Splitwise user (e.g. you pay back your friend $50 every week)? We don’t support recurring payments to friends right now, but we do support recurring bills: just click on the date when adding or editing a bill, and you’ll see options to make that bill recur weekly/monthly/etc. Hope that helps!

17. build a feature that lets someone add an expense now but select a later date (or multiple dates) for it to "hit"

Just sent this to the "contact support" group....

I'd love a feature that allows me to add an expense immediately but choose a later date or dates at which it will be added to expense calculations. Some possible choices:

-simple "save until next month" option
    -select the specific date that it will be included in group calculations
    -spread the cost across the next 3, 6, or 12 months
    -hold for low expense month: Splitwise knows average monthly cost and automatically drops expense into month with below-average expenses

Thanks! I use this tool for many groups, including managing a 7-person house.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the detailed suggestion! I can definitely see how this’d be useful, though we’d want to be careful and make sure the extra options don’t cause undue confusion. I’ll add this to our list of possible improvements to discuss :)

18. expense sorting in group

It would be great and easier for the user to have the option of sorting the expenses based on amount, date, category,and payee in the group.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion – I’ll pass it on! For now, your best option is probably to export your group to a spreadsheet (by going to your group, then clicking the settings icon at the top of the right sidebar and choosing “Export as spreadsheet”), then using Excel or other spreadsheet programs to sort the output. How that helps!

19. Javscript

Why on earth is all of your javascript on the main page and that too without encryption ?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Hey Kshitij! The reason our JavaScript is included in the main page is mostly because of how Splitwise /used/ to work a few years ago – we used to include a lot of customized code depending on exactly which user was loading the page. We’d like to move our JS code to a separate page sometime soon, mainly to improve page loading/caching performance.

Also, we may obfuscate our JavaScript code at some point in the future, but there’s no way to actually encrypt JavaScript in the browser – your browser has to be able to read the code in order to run it. Obfuscating JavaScript files can be useful for improving load time, since the file sizes are usually smaller, but we also enjoy keeping our code readable, especially since it lets other people look at your front-end code and learn how it works. (There isn’t any secure information in…

20. Add preferred people to debt simplification

Debt Simplification can be more awesome if i can re-simplify adding a preferred payer

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base