Skip to content

General

376 results found

1. New category for vacation

If you are on vacation, you have a lot of different shared expenses: flights and hotels, but also e.g. museum admissions, attractions. Right now, these stay uncategorized. It would be great to have a dedicated category for attractions or vacation.

The best solution to all these category requests would be to add a (pro?) feature to manage categories: remove those you don't need, and add new categories!

Cheers,
    Hannes

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)

Thanks for the suggestion Hannes! I would expect our “Entertainment” category would cover these kinds of items right now. We might add something that lets you remove categories at some point, but we do not expect to be adding the ability to add new categories.

Cheers,
    Marshall

2. photo

Set it up so that when I take a photo using the app for the reciepts, it saves a copy to my phone

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion, and sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately, we don’t plan to add this feature – we’ve found that most people don’t wish to save copies of their receipts on their phone, especially when those receipts are already backed up to Splitwise.

One possible workaround would be to take a picture of your receipt with your phone’s camera app, then open Splitwise afterward and choose to attach that receipt picture from your photo gallery. I realize that’s not a great alternative, though, so apologies for the inconvenience!

3. Hi, do we have an option to export as spreadsheet monthwise?

Since we calculate expenses monthwise, this will give a good overview of expenses incurred every month. Also it's easy to calculate if amongst number of people.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We do have export to spreadsheet that does the whole time period for the account. This would be pretty simple to split into months in excel or something similar. We also have (in groups on the web only) a PDF summary for each month that you can export from the expense list.

Marshall

4. Ask to update the total when the sum is different when splitting unequally.

When we go to lunch we always split the bill unequally. The problem is, the time I enter the amount of each person I don't know the total amount to pay. This forces us to calculate the total amount first then entering the amount for each person. It would be very handy for us that the application to ask updating the total if the sum does not match instead of refusing to save.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

I’m not sure if this is applicable as a use case for Splitwise. Splitwise is designed for people who want to “split” a shared expense, which assumes the existence of a single expense that must be broken down into shares that each person owes.

Are you getting separate cheques at lunch and then adding them up? If that is the case then you should probably be adding those as separate expenses.

I’d love to hear more about what your exact use case is.

5. 4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble. We think it’s important to show deleted expense in ACTIVITY — I shouldn’t be able to delete an expense with you and then also delete the record of the deletion, that would be really bad! If you need any help understanding your ACTIVITY please write support@splitwise.com. Thanks!

6. Allow Generalized/Anonymous Reminders

It would be more tactful in some situations if Splitwise could send general reminders to those who haven't settled up after a few days have gone by. Or at least permit users to request the app to send a reminder of an outstanding balance without identifying the person who requested the reminder. For example:

"Hey username, don't forget to settle up your balances! You currently owe $###"

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We do have a monthly summary that goes over balances with everyone and acts as an automated reminder. We also have pre-written reminders you can send to specific people if you want to ask them to settle up.

We don’t plan to add anonymous reminders. It’s a feature that would be very difficult to build in a way that would not be open to a lot of abuse. What we might add at some point is a more general whole group reminder where you can send a reminder to the entire group that there are balances that need to be settled up. Hopefully this will help make it easier to talk about settling up in a way that feels comfortable for everyone.

Marshalll

7. Settle up in group

I think it would be great if, at some point in the month, maybe the end, you could just click a button to settle everyone up - aka everyone goes back to zero.

Sometimes my roommates and I decided we're all settled up and don't want to go about putting who paid who and deal with change and what not.

It would be great to just decide, "we're settled up" so that every thing went back to zero and the non-simplified version of debts could restart from scratch.

Current method for settle up in group is difficult, bcoz we have…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I can see the utility of this, but I don’t see how to implement this without either

- adding fake payment records
    - just plain deleting old data

Neither of these feel acceptable to me.

Your current balance in a group is calculated as a sum of all your balances from previous expenses.

For your use case, if you’d like to wipe the slate, I’d recommending creating a new group with the same name and renaming the older group to something like _old.

8. Drinks category

I don't drink alcohol at all but if I like to tag drinks on splitwise, there is just an "Schnapps" category with the picture of a wine bootle. Could you please add a drinks or beverages category or at least rename it?

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We’ve separated out the Schnapps category from the Groceries category because we found that the distinction between alcohol and other foodstuffs was clear to most people. Adding a Drinks category separate from Groceries would add a lot of ambiguity for not much benefit (is milk drinks or groceries, for example). We also have the Dining out category for anything at restaurants.

I’m sorry we don’t have the best set of categories for you, but I don’t expect we will add a separate Drinks category.

Marshall

9. Add Toman Currency, Iranian common but unofficial currency

In the daily life of Iranians, the currency called "Toman" is more frequently used than the official currency, "Rial (IRR)", because of a lot of zeros!
    Toman is one tenth of Rial, i.e. 10000 Rial is equal to 1000 Toman.
    Please add this currency (or replace it with Rial), because it makes confusion and error by the users frequently.
    Thank you

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the message, and sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately, I’m afraid our list of currencies is restricted to currencies with official international currency codes, so we can’t add the Toman right now :(

I did some research, and I saw that there have been efforts to replace the Rial with either the Toman or a new unit called the Parsi, but most of the articles that mentioned this possible change were several years old. If a currency change ever becomes official, we’d be happy to add the new unit of currency. Until then, my apologies for the inconvenience!

10. Expense Check

When person A adds expense & splits with person B, then B should be able to mark it checked when satisfied/verified the expense. so that B reviews only other expense next time. The check mark should be unchecked if there is change or update in the checked expense. This is helps a lot when tracking expense in group that are added over a period of time.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Hi there,

I apologize, but I’m going to decline your request. I can understand why some people would want explicit confirmations, but this is a very core decision we made long ago and confirmations are too clunky for Splitwise.

Recent Activity is our answer to seeing what has changed. If you have an ideas/issues with the way Recent Activity works, please post it as a suggestion or email support with questions.

Best,
    Jon

11. add splitwise wallet option for payments

like paytm wallet freecharge etc wallet add splitwise wallet for payments

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey there,

We’re a really small team and while having our own wallet is tempting, it is not in our roadmap for the near future. We’d rather focus on integrating support for your existing wallets into Splitwise.

12. 14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Splitwise actually used to work this way, but we got rid of the confirmation step because people complained that it was too much of a hassle.

Our in-between solution was email notifications. By default, you should get an email any time someone says they have paid you, and then if you wish you can double-check that they have actually given you money. (And if they haven’t, then you can delete the payment from Splitwise!) You can also see a full record of changes in your account at any time by going to the “Recent activity” screen.

Hope that makes sense! Let us know if you have questions or concerns.

Marshall

13. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! I definitely see how this would be useful, but unfortunately we don’t have plans to add it as a feature right now, as we believe it could easily be used for harmful purposes (e.g. secretly deleting a balance with your friend so that you don’t have to pay them back). For now, we want to make sure that everyone on Splitwise has a full record of all the changes in their account.

14. Allow multiple ways of calculating unequal splitting and multiple payers

For example,
    In a meal for 4 people totally $60, person A ordered a drink for $14
    Then everything else is split equally between 4 people
    But person B is paying for themselves and person C

So ideally I would be able to use the +/- function for person A
    Person A +$14
    ($44 left)
    Then use the shares function for
    Person A shares 1 ($11)
    Person B shares 2 ($22)
    Person D shares 1 ($11)

So ideally it could be done in one step
    Person A +$14, share 1 ($25)
    Person B shares 2 ($22)
    Person C shares 1…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →
  15. There is no way to clear whole account.

Let say our group want to delete old expenses. They don't even want it to see in activities then every time we need to do the delete account. May be you can provide a clear all button.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for asking, but I’m going to have to decline your request.

If you want to delete a group, that will delete the associated expenses and you can start over. But if you want to clear your whole account including recent activity, you should probably delete your account from the user settings page and start over with a new account at the same email address.

The reason why I’m declining is that “fully clearing” an account including recent activity violates the Splitwise principle of group transparency / undo-ability (we aspire to be like Wikipedia in this way). What if someone cleared everything permanently by accident and completely destroyed your record of what happened? We can’t allow that to happen because everyone is entitled to a list of who did what, even if that is deletion.

I hope this work-around helps, and I’m sorry I can’t be more helpful. There…

16. Lending

Is there the facility for Lending money to another person within the group. Apps like Share a Bill have this facility

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We’ve considered lending, but don’t plan to add it to the app. You can record lending money by adding an expense where the person you are lending money to owes you the full amount.

Marshall

17. Display Advanced options by default

Most of the times I display the other windows like when saying he owes me the full amount or notes, a good idea would be to display all the boex by default to speed up the process

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  18. Put full list of who pays who in printable summary

I made a group for a trip. After entering all expenses and simplifying debts, I wanted to send out a list showing A pays B $X, B pays C $Y, etc. But as far as I can tell, that information is only available by hovering over each name in the group one by one, so it's not easy to get a complete view of what is going on.

Can that list be put into the printable summary?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! I’m only declining this because we have a different view that shows this information. If you go to the group and look at the balances on the right, you should see a link to “view full details”. This will show you the exact repayment breakdown for everyone in the group.

Marshall

19. Sharing grocery lists

Can we get a tab for sharing grocery lists? One tab that autoupdates to which all members of a household can contribute and check mark things off?

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

This would be more appropriate for a grocery list app and wouldn’t be part of Splitwise’s core. As such we’d be unlikely to be able to dedicate the time necessary to create an entire sub app within Splitwise.

20. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We’re not going to go back to the old design, but we’d love to hear about specific places where you feel the app is complex and see if we can fix them.

Marshall

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base