Skip to content

General

376 results found

1. Release Splitwise under an open-source license

Allowing others to review, modify, and redistribute the source code for this app will engage interested developers to help build, maintain, and improve the software for free. Developing in the open has tremendous benefits for both Splitwise and its users. For developers, we get some stake in the project, which encourages us to use and improve the software. For Splitwise, you get free labor, and a community built around your project that encourages people to write about it, speak about it, and advocate for it. There is really no potential for loss that I can envision in this case. Splitwise…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. On Groups left column separate the settled bills from the open bills

On Groups left column separate the settled bills from the open bills.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We don’t really have a notion of settled bills vs open bills in the app. What we will do is if the balance in the group ever hits 0, we will hide all expenses that are before the 0 balance behind a click. We’re open to improving this functionality, but we are unlikely to add anything to mark bills as settled up.

Marshall

3. Option to Personalize Amounts Formats

for example, add commas, delete cents, etc

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! I can see how this would be helpful, but the apps and website are not really built in a way that makes this reasonable to add. At some point we might handle specific currencies differently (and we currently try to respect your country settings for commas vs periods in amounts), but total customization isn’t something we plan to add.

Marshall

4. Pin/Star a particular expense for quick reference

Pin/star a particular expense which can be accessed quickly for reference later something similar to the whatsapp star message feautre.

This pinned/star expense can be accessible either specific to the group or universally on homepage.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →
  5. Add setting or advanced feature to decide who bears the burden of uneven divisions

May I suggest adding an "Advanced Setting" that allows the user to decide who bears the burden of uneven divisions?

The option would allow the user to choose a simple "Me" or "Them" such that if the user chose "Me" as the bearer of uneven divisions then debts would be split evenly (to the cent) over all debtors and the user would bear any leftovers from the division operation.

For example ("Me" option), if the bill is $60.01 split over 3 people (including the user), then each person should pay $20.00 but the users takes on the extra $0.01.

An…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The uneven cents are randomly distributed among group members. We want to make it randomly distributed the same after an expense is updated instead of it being randomly reassigned again but we will likely not add a setting to determine this ahead of time.

6. Add an option to forgive all or a specific amount owed

Would you consider adding an option to forgive under Settle Up > Choose Payment Method?

After clicking "Forgive" a user could then choose an amount to forgive or to forgive the entire existing balance owed by the debtor in context.

In my case, sometimes a bill doesn't divide evenly, other times people may repay me the amount owed but miss by one cent. in both cases I end up with stray balances of $0.01 (owed to me). It would be nice if I could simply forgive said balances instead of having to adjust the bill or the amount that was…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Hi, do we have an option to export as spreadsheet monthwise?

Since we calculate expenses monthwise, this will give a good overview of expenses incurred every month. Also it's easy to calculate if amongst number of people.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We do have export to spreadsheet that does the whole time period for the account. This would be pretty simple to split into months in excel or something similar. We also have (in groups on the web only) a PDF summary for each month that you can export from the expense list.

Marshall

8. Home budget

Hi Splitwise Team!
    first of all, would like to congratulate you for this great app, i love how straight-forward is, its clean design and a very good UX.

I use it for trips and even to divide my life expenses with my girlfriend and housemates... but unfortunately, it falls a bit short to be able to manage my finances more thoroughly.. I've been searching for some time without any luck, for something as good as splitwise to use as my budget management app..

I was wondering if are you guys planning to launch / develop something along those lines? where…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We have been considering adding some rudimentary expense tracking/personal budgeting to the app, but I doubt we’ll ever make something as good as Splitwise for budgeting. We’ve spent years learning how people think about splitting money and are still refining our app. I don’t think we can take on the challenge of doing this for budgeting.

Marshall

9. Fechamento

Boa tarde. Há algum tipo de fechamento(semanal, mensal ou diária) na ferramenta?
    Pois isso ajudaria muito. Pois há contas que fecham o mês, e não devem ser continuadas para o mês seguinte.
    Obrigado.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Obrigado pela sugestão! O aplicativo foi construído com base no pressuposto de que os saldos rolam ao longo dos limites dia / semana / mês. Se você quiser manter as coisas separadas por períodos de tempo, recomendamos criar grupos separados para cada mês no aplicativo e manter as coisas separadas dessa forma.

Marshall

10. I need analysis on how my montly spending is on different caterogies like groceres, rent etc.

the analysis must portray info in a pie chart or some other graphical chart among different category of expense and must give some analysis on how to save money among different categories and how to budget monthly expense on different category.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We do have some of this on the trends in the web app (look at view full trends under the trends section on the right sidebar). We aren’t planning to add comprehensive budgeting tools to the app.

Marshall

11. Allow people leave the description field empty. Most of time, category is enough. Thanks!

Allow people leave the description field empty. Most of the time, the category is enough. Thanks!

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We’re settled on our current requirements of an amount and a description. The one shortcut that might help you is if you type the name of the category in the description field, the app should automatically update the category for you.

Marshall

12. New Tax Brackets

For your tax fairness project, it would be nice if you could eliminate or add new brackets. For instance, my tax plan has seven brackets, but the prototype only allows six, so I should be able to add one. Or, if it had five, I could delete one. Otherwise than that, it's a pretty cool project.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! It definitely makes sense, but unfortunately the tax calculator has been abandoned for now – we built it as an experiment back in 2012, and haven’t updated it since then. We’re a pretty small team, and mostly focused on our core app Splitwise, so I think it’s unlikely to get an update in the near future. My apologies for the trouble!

13. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →
  14. Ability to send a splitwise contact to others

You've been there before! Someone in the group pays the bill for the furst time but doesn't have the details of all othe other members. This would help to quickly send and receive contacts and add them as friend.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Find ATM

Find ATM with cash around user location. This feature is very handy in India. You can gain lots of new users by incorporating this feature. Application like walnut has this feature and believe me this main reason why people are using walnut so often in india.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →
  16. Invite Directly from contact

Allow to send message to the person's mobile number in the contacts

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi there. Are you in India, the UAE, or France? In those countries we don’t pull mobile numbers from Contacts because our invite text messages get marked as spam by the carriers and therefore they don’t get delivered. So we only pull email addresses because we can ensure deliverability. Sorry for the trouble!

17. New terms to be added like lent, paid off, etc.

Usually on trips, I lend some money to one of the group partner and I always settle by adjusting the amount in rent as he's the one who pays the rent and bills. Most of the time, the settled up statement says that "X paid Y $100" though it's more like "X paid off Y $100". It may sound silly but it's bit more clear.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →
  18. Owe

The owes you and you owe is always confused with us. So please see if you can have this word replace with any good understandable word please

Thanks

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We’ve spent a lot of time on the language in the app and this is the best set of words we’ve been able to come up with. It’s not something we plan to change, but I’d love to hear more about why it’s confusing.

Marshall

19. create an app for sharing tasks

First of all: Splitwise is an absolutely amazing application that has saved me, my friends and my flatmates a lot of arguing and discussing. In a shared flat, there is another issue apart from splitting bills and that is splitting household tasks. The problems are actually quite similar, but unfortunately there seems to be no good solution for managing household tasks. The idea would be tasks can be 'voted up', meaning they increase their reward. As soon as someone considers a reward big enough, he does the task and gets the reward points. If a flatmember falls too far back…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We don’t plan to do anything other than make it easier to split expenses. I can see how this would be a useful app, but it’s not one we’re going to have the time to build.

Marshall

20. Despesas por engano

Devia dar para eliminar uma despesa de vez por ter sido criada por engano, saindo assim das estatísticas e histórico.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Obrigado pela sugestão! Nós não planejamos adicionar qualquer maneira de remover despesas sem manter algum registro em torno deles ter existido. Há muito potencial para abuso com um recurso que permite que você secretamente excluir despesas.

Marshall

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base