Skip to content

General

376 results found

1. dispense with the notion of "groups", except as a shortcut to adding friends to a bill.

I'm not really sure what purpose groups are serving, but really what I want is to be able to say, "add a bill to this group", and have it just open the same screen as it does when I add a bill to a friend, but with all the correct friends for that group already added...

Not sure why groups are managed as a completely separate thing from friends - seems like a group is just a subset of friends.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)

While we do plan to revisit our groups concept and will be tuning how our groups and friendships interact (it’s definitely not correct in the current UI), the main difference between friends and groups is privacy. In a group, and bill added to the group can be seen by anyone in the group, regardless of if they are involved in the bill or not. This is nice if you have related bills that not everyone is involved in, but might want to see (I might not pay anything on the electrical bill, but it’s important to me that my apartment has electricity).

This also means anyone in the group may add, edit or delete bills for anyone else in the group and balances get shuffled in groups if you turn Simplified Debts on for the group.

The upshot of this is: only set up a group for a set of…

2. You should be able to comment on expenses

My Flatmate added an expense, i would like to comment on this expense, inline on the listing page.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We won’t be adding comments inline on the listing page. We do display an icon on the expense if there is a note for it. the main reason is that if we add this style of commenting, we wind up with too much clutter on the main UI for something that we do handle reasonably well already.

Marshall

3. Eliminate useless options in IOU and Record Payment options.

When I change the person paying to one name, the other box must not contain the same name. Based on the situation it must change. Usually the best guess is to swap.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  4. [FEATURE] Split Tasks also

I was working on an App similar to this for my custom use case, but never thought that having a Web UI would help. :) Great job with the app firstly.

My idea is like this:
    Splitwise - It doesn't have to be restricted to splitting bills. I should be able to list down a list of tasks also for a group (like a TODO, for the whole group).

Say :
    1. Buy Groceries
    2. Pay Internet Bill (Amount Rs 1000) so on.

Members of the group can strike off tasks (mentioning Notes) and the Group is Notified.

An extension…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Karthik,

We’re planning on sticking with just managing bills and expenses for the foreseeable future. This is a great idea and we do have an API for third parties who want to use our system and data for other purposes, so making a third party app that does this and integrates with Splitwise is certainly possible.

We currently have about a years worth of backlog of exciting new stuff for the site and apps for just managing money. We’re a pretty small company, so adding more features that aren’t just focused on that is currently just not something we can do.

Marshall

5. Simplify Debt for iOS App

It would be nice if we could simplify debt amongst an arbitrary set of friends from the iOS App. We can do this on the web interface (though I contend it is still a little hard to find this feature), but the feature appears to be missing from the mobile version.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →
  6. Deleting a bill

Only the creator should be allowed to delete the bill and not the share holder.

Also on a seperate note i started using app with USD and then changed the currency to INR but people i started with in still have USD next to them instead of INR

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Hi Vishal,

We do want to give people confidence that their bills have not been deleted, so in the user settings we have an “email me anytime someone updated / edits / deletes a bill.” We plan to change the default setting to alert you anytime a bill you created is deleted, which I think should give you some more confidence.

We strongly believe anyone should be able to delete a bill in order to help correct mistakes and make things simple and complexity-free.

The currency issue you are referring to can also be fixed in user settings – there is a button on the website that allows you to convert all expenses you have so far into your default currency (it just sets the currency code, it doesn’t do any currency exchange.)

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Jon

7. Add an option to get Notifications via RSS

I am an RSS fanboy, and I believe there are many out here who will appreciate if you can provide notifications via RSS also.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Though I’m an avid RSS user myself (and still lamenting the loss of Google Reader!), we probably won’t be doing custom RSS feeds – we’d rather communicate via email and push notifications. Sorry!

8. categories for different kind of taxes.

Add an option for the % of tax on that particular commodity. 5% or 2.5%, I am from Virginia and I have 1 single bill with electronics and groceries in it.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In a case like this, it’s probably easiest to add the electronics and the groceries as two different bills. Adding a % tax for each individual item seems like it would introduce a lot of complexity – depending on how many items are on your bill, you might end up having to type in an extra number dozens of times. Sorry!

9. Simplify debts giving expense details

Currently the simply debts does not clearly state what Math took place behind the scenes. It simply reports a transaction "Simplify debts". It would be helpful to display that in the "Notes" section of a transaction.

If X owes Y 10, Y owes Z 10 and Z owes X 10, in a simplify debts among these three users, the amounts that each user owed each other must be added to the notes section. Currently today it would report something like "X paid Z 10", Y paid Z 10, Z paid X 10, which is not totally accurate as a transaction…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve debated this issue a lot, and the reason we don’t save complete details in the notes of a debt shuffle is because of privacy concerns. Say you’re person X in your scenario – we feel pretty strongly that you shouldn’t be able to see the details of a transaction between Y and Z that doesn’t involve you. Neither of those people has given you permission to see their financial info, and to include full details about the shuffle would reveal that Y owes Z (or vice versa).

It’s definitely an annoying problem – it makes simplify debts a “black box”, where you can’t see all the transactions involved – but we think that’s better than the potential privacy concerns of exposing people’s information. That’s also why simplify debts is considered an “Advanced feature”, and is not intended for most users.

10. I am not quite sure if your site has the option to divide unequally shared expenses.

I have designed a code for that. If you would like to add it in the future, I would not mind sharing it. :)

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey divz – we actually support splitting expenses in all sorts of ways, including by percent, by shares, by itemizing, and more. You can access all these by logging in to Splitwise, clicking the “Add bill” button, entering the bill’s description and cost, and then clicking where it says “Split equally” to adjust the split. Thanks for your offer! :)

11. Not show "Settle All Group" entries groups. It just leaves us all confused when we try to reconcile the payments.

If you really need the "Settle All Groups", please make it internal and not visible to the users. It just confuses the heck out of us when we try to reconcile the payments.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m sorry you find this confusing, but we think it’s very important to show – otherwise, the list of expenses with a given friend/in a given group would not actually add up to the total balance, which seems much more confusing to us. Still, I’ll mention this at our next team meeting and see if we can think of any ways to reduce confusion.

12. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →
  13. Buxfer - Translating tags

I used tags extensively in Buxfer to categorize my transactions. However, when importing them to Splitwise they are all dumped into General category which is very annoying.

During import, a list of tags from Buxfer could be presented to the user and the user could decide how to map those tags to Splitwise's notion of categorization.

For example, I've a tag called "rent" in Buxfer. I would map it to Home > Rent in Splitwise.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Update: our Buxfer importer is no longer available.

Thanks for the suggestion, and sorry for the trouble! I’ll pass this on at our next team meeting. Right now there aren’t many people importing from Buxfer, so this is probably a lower priority update for us, but I’ll definitely add it to our list of possible improvements.

14. Authorize a large payment or Bill

To add an extra level of authentication or authorization when there is a threshold bill amount or a threshold payment has passed.

This is mainly for payments, when a receiving party hasn't looked for notification for a long time and someone has just reported a payment that may/may not been made, neither the receiver has checked for the receipt of the payment. In this case, for historical reasons, Its good to add a double authentication on a large amount (may be static for all or customized for each user). So that to avoid situation where one can not claim something…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve never been able to add any kind of confirmation to our system without creating many more problems than it solves. While we can see that you want to be able to trust entries, we feel the better solution is better notifications, not restrictive confirmations. We’re planning to roll out a new notifications system in the next month, so hopefully that will mostly solve this issue.

Marshall

15. Signing up via Google should NOT manage my contacts

I care about my privacy, and I DO NOT want to share my contact list with another (web) app.

I was about to sign up to Splitwise, then I looked at the required permissions, then I declined.

(as in a side note, the Android app also wants to read my contacts, and that's something I do not like either)

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Hi Denilson,

You can always sign up without using google and we won’t get any contact data from you. Unfortunately, with the Android app, you have to ask for any permission you might conceivably want up front and can’t turn things off by request. The contact integration is very useful for most of our users, so we ask for it on Android.

In either case, we do not store your contact information on our server (outside of you specifically inviting a friend to Splitwise), though we do keep an access token saved so that we can load contact information in your browser when you add friends and bills.

Marshall

16. Give ability to link my PSEG account to splitwise account

I am account holder of PSEG account in my house and i get billed every month. I have opted for e-bills and i have setup autopay for it. But each month, i have to check the amount and add it to my splitwise group for sharing. I cannot setup a recurring pay in splitwise for this bill like i have done for Verizon internet bill since this bill amount varies a lot.

I need a ability to link my PSEG account or someway so that once my autopay pays the bill, it automatically gets added to my splitwise house group…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback!

We agree that this would be an awesome user experience. Unfortunately, each biller we’d integrate with (PSEG, Verizon, Con Edison, etc) would require us to build a new tech infrastructure. There are over 100 billers in the country and after thinking through the issue a lot, we had to conclude that we shouldn’t spend energy on building these features. We’re a tiny team (3 engineers) with many other priorities.

Sorry for the trouble and thanks for using Splitwise!

17. Payment gateways for credit card based settlement

Please introduce Credit card based payment gateways - Master Card , Visa . Paypal might not have such as huge user base especially in emerging markets.

Next in line could be a splitwise wallet in itself linked to a credit card where a user can transfer credits at start of a month etc..

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Unfortunately, we don’t plan to offer direct support for credit card payments – there’s not a good way to do it without charging standard credit card fees ($0.30 + 3% of each transaction), and we think that’s a pretty bad experience. PayPal and Venmo aren’t supported everywhere, but it’s likely that they’ll have better support than any credit card solution we could create ourselves, which would require us to pass various regulatory hurdles. Sorry for the trouble!

18. User Interface

Make the user interface more catchy.

The mobile and Web app are great! Perfect. Also, suggest this app should be made for BlackBerry Users.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey there! We definitely want to keep improving our user interface, but I’m closing this suggestion for now because it’s not very specific. If you have any particular thoughts on how we should improve Splitwise, let me know and I’d be happy to pass them on!

Unfortunately, we also don’t have any plans to make a BlackBerry app right now – we’re a very small company (just two engineers), so web, iPhone, and Android is about as much as we can handle. However, if you know any BlackBerry developers, they’d be welcome to build their own Splitwise app using our public API: http://dev.splitwise.com. Sorry for the inconvenience!

19. Reverse order of expense name and expense amount on mobile

When entering an expense on the mobile app, I often find myself trying to type the amount into the name field. This is because I'm usually at the register, and have the number top of mind. Compared to the name, the amount is harder to remember and easier to forget. It'd be easier to go back and add the name later: I'm more likely to remember that I went to CVS than I am to remember that I spent 17.63 there. It'd be great to have the option to reverse the order of the name and amount fields, at least…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

So sorry for the trouble! We’ve actually done a ton of testing on this, because people tend to have strong instincts one way or another – you’re definitely not the only person to accidentally enter the cost in the description field :) We ultimately found that description, then cost was the most “common” order, so that’s what we’ve gone with. I don’t think we’re likely to add a custom setting for this, but it is still on our list of things to think about – maybe we can come up with some clever improvements in the future.

20. IOUs to people with out email or phone number

Whilst I understand the rationale of entering email ID / phone number for your friend on splitwise, there are cases where you meet a bunch of friends + one random person. In this case, I am sure to onboard all my friends to splitwise, however because I can't add a person (that I barely know) without email ID, I cannot spit the bill easily. I now need to calculate the bill outside splitwise and create entries per splitwise contact

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

This is a totally reasonable request. We used to support this, but found that is caused a lot more problems than it solved. If you really need to do this, you can add a friend as anything@example.com and it will let you create a dummy account (any prefix at the @example.com suffix will create an account without a real email address).

Marshall

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base