Skip to content

General

376 results found

1. Need approval of spender during settlement.

it should need approval from the spender/lender while settling an expense. otherwise, for a huge group comprising of large number of transactions, it's hard to track/validate when some got settled and whether it's authentic.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

We’ve actually tried a feature like this in the past, and the overwhelming feedback was that our users wanted us to get rid of it. For the average person, it’s quite a hassle to manually approve every transaction on Splitwise, and it makes the site very difficult to use unless all of your friends are active users.

You can always edit the payment at a later date to add notes that it is confirmed or add comments to the payment to say that you have confirmed it.

Marshall

2. Customized date range to track the expense

We generally settle our bills around 10th of every month. So, instead of keeping track of expense every month starting from 1st to end of that month, I would like to keep track of my expense with some customized date.
    i.e. let say i customized my month as 10th May - 9th June, 10th June - 9th July and so on..

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately too much of the world keeps track of things on a monthly basis so this feature would not be widely utilized and would more often than not confuse people.

3. Improvement in settle up button

Your concept is great. I like everything about your application.
    In current style of your settle up any party can go and settle up the payment. Make it mandatory for both party to recognize the payment. That will be much better. Also add flexibility in payment. include option for payment of amount which is less than actual amount in settle up.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! You can already pay a different amount when making a payment. Just edit the total in the record payment form before saving the payment.

As for payment confirmations, Splitwise actually used to work this way, but we got rid of the confirmation step because people complained that it was too much of a hassle.

Our in-between solution was email notifications. By default, you should get an email any time someone says they have paid you, and then if you wish you can double-check that they have actually given you money. (And if they haven’t, then you can delete the payment from Splitwise or comment on it!) You can also see a full record of changes in your account at any time by going to the “Recent activity” screen.

Hope that makes sense! Let us know if you have questions or concerns.

Marshall

4. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, due the way our infrastructure is built, making this kind of change is not something we’re able to do at the moment.

Marshall

5. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We’re not going to go back to the old design, but we’d love to hear about specific places where you feel the app is complex and see if we can fix them.

Marshall

6. Display Advanced options by default

Most of the times I display the other windows like when saying he owes me the full amount or notes, a good idea would be to display all the boex by default to speed up the process

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  7. Proper Cost Splitting - No Random Pennies

When calculating a cost split, the program currently allocates "extra" pennies to random individuals. I would propose that the system carries additional decimals (I think 3 decimals would fix it) in the background and then does final rounding to 2 decimals (ie the penny level) at the very end; ie the summary calculation that tells you who owes what money to whom.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This would cause many problems with the current expectations many people have with Splitwise. For example a $10 expense split among three people could potentially have a non-deterministic outcome guaranteed to be correct and the same across all devices based on how rounding is implemented.

8. floating names in receipt view

When entering a long receipt, the names of the people disappears off the top of the screen, it would be good if they stayed at the top so you knew which column was whose. Also, receipt splitting on mobile app

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Unfortunately, we don’t have any plans to update this view in the near future, as we’re a small team and it’s only used by a few users. My apologies for the trouble!

9. photo

Set it up so that when I take a photo using the app for the reciepts, it saves a copy to my phone

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion, and sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately, we don’t plan to add this feature – we’ve found that most people don’t wish to save copies of their receipts on their phone, especially when those receipts are already backed up to Splitwise.

One possible workaround would be to take a picture of your receipt with your phone’s camera app, then open Splitwise afterward and choose to attach that receipt picture from your photo gallery. I realize that’s not a great alternative, though, so apologies for the inconvenience!

10. Update and universal

Update Plates and make both universally available for iOS and macOS.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Unfortunately we don’t have the resources right now to expand Plates to other platforms, but we hope to make some updates to the iPhone app in the future!

-Novall

11. Email Printable Summary to Group

It would be nice to email printable summary to the group who does not use splitwise

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We currently send monthly summaries to everyone who has signed up for Splitwise and have pre-written balance reminders you can send to anyone in the group we can email. We also have the monthly PDF you can get from the group (click on the month name in the expense list) that should be suitable for sending to housemates.

Marshall

12. Drinks category

I don't drink alcohol at all but if I like to tag drinks on splitwise, there is just an "Schnapps" category with the picture of a wine bootle. Could you please add a drinks or beverages category or at least rename it?

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We’ve separated out the Schnapps category from the Groceries category because we found that the distinction between alcohol and other foodstuffs was clear to most people. Adding a Drinks category separate from Groceries would add a lot of ambiguity for not much benefit (is milk drinks or groceries, for example). We also have the Dining out category for anything at restaurants.

I’m sorry we don’t have the best set of categories for you, but I don’t expect we will add a separate Drinks category.

Marshall

13. Allow people leave the description field empty. Most of time, category is enough. Thanks!

Allow people leave the description field empty. Most of the time, the category is enough. Thanks!

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We’re settled on our current requirements of an amount and a description. The one shortcut that might help you is if you type the name of the category in the description field, the app should automatically update the category for you.

Marshall

14. Add setting or advanced feature to decide who bears the burden of uneven divisions

May I suggest adding an "Advanced Setting" that allows the user to decide who bears the burden of uneven divisions?

The option would allow the user to choose a simple "Me" or "Them" such that if the user chose "Me" as the bearer of uneven divisions then debts would be split evenly (to the cent) over all debtors and the user would bear any leftovers from the division operation.

For example ("Me" option), if the bill is $60.01 split over 3 people (including the user), then each person should pay $20.00 but the users takes on the extra $0.01.

An…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The uneven cents are randomly distributed among group members. We want to make it randomly distributed the same after an expense is updated instead of it being randomly reassigned again but we will likely not add a setting to determine this ahead of time.

15. Sort contact list by frequency

There are a few people with whom I have to share expenses every day. And there are people with whom I have shared expenses just once or twice.

While adding an expense, when the contact list is shown, instead of sorting it alphabetically, it should be sorted by frequency.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We don’t plan to add different sorting for this, but we are considering showing your last 5 people or groups in a special Recents list section for adding expenses.

Marshall

16. Allow creation of expenses where "you" are not involved

There are some instances where I want to create a transaction (that I am not involved in) between 2 other people in a group.

Right now, when I click "Add bill", "you" is one of the defaults and there is no way to remove myself from the transaction until after I actually save it or by going in and setting my part of the transaction to $0.

The other workaround to this is to use the quick add feature to add the expense between the 2 people i.e. "John owes Bill $2 for lunch" but it seems like this should…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! Most people add do not add expenses like this and including this kind of change would probably make it harder to add expenses in that do involve you. Given that there is a workaround to remove yourself from the bill while you are adding it (even if it is a few extra taps), we don’t plan to add any more optimization for this case.

I’m a little confused in when you would need to save the expense before you could remove yourself. For both adding and editing an expense, you should be able to change the payer to someone else and open the split options to remove yourself from the split.

Marshall

17. Link accounts with popular eWallets (e.g. Paytm) so that settling of expenses can happen immediately and with ease.

Link accounts with popular eWallets (e.g. Paytm) so that settling of expenses can happen immediately and with ease. Provide the option of settling via eWallet or cash. Linking of bank accounts might raise security concerns but people are alot more comfortable with eWallets. For necessary Authorization you can redirect to the eWallets app/webpage (similar to what alot of other apps do).

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Hey, thanks for the feedback! We have a lot of ideas for different payment options, please go vote for the one’s that you want, or submit a new idea if we don’t have the payment option you’re looking for.

18. Création de nouvelles catégories

Pouvez vous créer la catégorie enfant avec sous catégories: nounou, cantine, sports, musique, colonie, périscolaire

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Merci pour la suggestion! Nous allons considérer cela la prochaine fois que nous mettrons à jour notre liste de catégories. Pour l’instant, je suggère de créer un groupe spécifiquement pour les dépenses liées aux enfants, et je pense que vous verrez déjà certaines de ces catégories, telles que les sports et la musique sous “Divertissement”.

Traduction par Google.

19. Add the app to the F-Droid store

F Droid is an alternative app store for the Android platform. It would be great if you could add your app to F droid so that some of us that don't use the Google Play Store can easily get access to the app.

If not, please atleast consider providing a signed APK file for direct download.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    28 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →
  20. Stop saying “Settle Up”

Settling is a downward motion. The idioms are “to settle a debt” as to resolve the debt or “to saddle up” as to prepare to leave by putting a saddle on your horse. Pick one, not both.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
1 2 5 7 9 18 19

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base