Skip to content

General

869 results found

1. Ask for 'location' permission so you can tell when I travel and remind me to use Splitwise

Recently I came back from a vacation and realized that I have
    written all the shared expenses the old way of note taking in my note app
    rather than using splitwise. I simply forgot that I can use splitwise. I
    wished splitwise would remind me some how to use the app when I'm
    traveling.
    You can probably put an option in the settings to ask the user if he/she
    wants splitwise to know their location. Then when this setting is on you
    find out that I am out of town and give me a notification like "I see you
    are…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)

Interesting suggestion! I can see how this’d be pretty cool, though I can also imagine how other people would see this as a breach of privacy, so we’d probably have to make it opt-in or something like that. I’ll add it to our list of possible ideas for the future :)

2. Allow marking the expense as posted at financial institution and budget reconciled.

Splitwise can evolve into an expense tracker for shared expenses and individual expenses. It can replace a checkbook register and other means of tracking credit and cash purchases. I currently make a comment on shared expenses that the transaction posted to my financial institution. I then make a comment "transferred" when I move money from my categorized SubAccount (bucket)at my bank. Unfortunately if it is a shared expense the other parties get a nuisance notification when I add these comments. Furthermore I can't tell if I have reconciled the expense on a personal level unless I open each expense and…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll pass it on! We’d love to get better at this sort of thing over time. For now, your solution with comments sounds like the best available option.

3. when displaying list of "All expenses" user should be able to know to whom he borrowed/lent

currently the All expenses UI only shows the list of expenses but doesn't show to whom I borrowed/lent. To know this I need to open each expense.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately, there’s not usually enough room on the screen to do a good job explaining who you borrowed/lent with in that list. When you’re in a group or friendship, we do break down your lending in that group/friend. I’m not sure how we would put this together in a clean way.

Marshall

4. Provide a Document Center

I am planning on using Split Wise as a hub for running our apartment.

It would be nice to have a small communal document area to store some of our agreements. As an example, I would like to upload a roommate agreement that was signed by all of the roommates.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! I think it’s unlikely that we’ll do this – we really want to focus on just the expense sharing problem. If we get a lot of votes here, we’ll reconsider this.

Marshall

5. default with one

I use splitwise with my boyfriend only. If there is only one active user, I want that person automatically selected all the time.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion – I’ll pass it on! I know we do something like this for people who only use one group, and I can definitely see how it’d be useful for accounts with only one other person.

6. Provide easily accessible info on the differences between memo, note, and comment

In both the web & mobile apps, it would be great if you had a little 'I' in a circle that we could click for more info about a specific feature--specifically I was and still am very confused as to the differences between a Memo, Note, and Comment. Would be helpful if there was a short sentence or two explaining what each feature was for. Thanks for a great app!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the confusion! Yep, I agree that all those differences are pretty hard to understand. Hopefully it’s something we can clean up in the future. In brief:

Memo: Basically the same as the “Description” field on a normal expense. When there’s enough room, we try to display this text right in the list of expenses (e.g. “Ryan paid Jon $20 for ‘Groceries’”)

Notes: When adding an expense or a payment, the notes field lets you include extra information about that transaction. (Once upon a time, we didn’t have any ability to add comments at all, and this was the only way to include extra information about a transaction. Now that Splitwise supports comments as well, I think we may phase out the Notes field at some point.)

Comments: This allows anyone involved in an expense to add more information. An expense can have many comments.

7. Ability to change group member at any stage...

Kindly add option to change the group member. For example, person "X" with email id "X@yahoo.com" has been added to the group "Alps Trek" and also some expenses has been added in the group with say equal distribution, it should still be possible to add same person "X' with email id "X@gmail.com". Ultimately dropping person "X" "X@yahoo.com" and transferring expenses on her name to same person "X' with email id "X@gmail.com".

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the trouble! Splitwise allows you to change a person’s email address if they haven’t claimed their account yet, though that may not be clear on mobile (you have to do it by going to that friend’s page and opening the “Friend settings” screen, instead of doing it from the group settings screen). Hopefully we can update our group settings page on mobile soon, so that you can update a person’s email address directly from that screen.

Once the other person has already accepted their invite, you can no longer update their email address, since it’s their account at that point. Hope that helps!

8. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  9. make it easier to explain splitwise to new users

I have introduced several groups to splitwise. Each time, I have to write an email explaining that people should enter their expenses, split them accordingly, wait until everyone has entered their expenses, and expect to pay only 1-2 people. Each time, someone gets it wrong, especially the final thing. I wish there were a "tell your friends its time to settle up" button with a summary of what to do and who to pay.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’d definitely like to improve the way we explain Splitwise to new users, especially new users who are invited by other people – right now, we just sort of throw them in without much explanation. Hopefully in the future we can add a better welcome that gives a good overview of how everything works.

10. create a simple printable summary

I see the detailed summary and the simple group balances view. I wish there were a printable summary of group balances that I could include in an email so that I can explain how much people will pay in an email without taking a screenshot.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! Yeah, I can see how it would be useful to have something to download and share, especially if not everyone is actually logging in to Splitwise. I’ll add this to our list of possible improvements.

11. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your suggestion! We’re always adding support for different languages and formats to make Splitwise more accessible to people across the globe. This sounds like something we might do in the future.

12. Add subscription feeds to the calendar function

Add support for calendar subscriptions (i.e., .ics .gcal .html) to the calendar function for groups. Simply having a calendar item that said "Pay <name> for <bill name>" or "<bill name> due" would be great. I would find this especially handy for recurring bills (e.g., utilities, rent, groceries).

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Integrate with PayPal so that I can import latest expenses directly into my splitwise account!

I use the PayPal card a lot for making purchases. It would be awesome if you could integrate PayPal with Splitwise - perhaps import the latest expenses?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Most of our user testing has indicated that people understand “you owe” a bit more easily than “I owe”, which is why we’ve gone with that decision for now. Still, we’re definitely open to changing in the future if we find that it helps people understand what’s going on!

16. Make it more clear how to remove someone from a group

I couldn't find where to remove a person from a group on the web app, so I had to do it on my mobile app. Ideally it would as straightforward on each

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! Yep, our website could definitely use some love in the near future – apologies for the confusion. If you need to do this again in the near future, you can remove a group member on the web by opening that group’s page, then clicking the “Settings” icon at the top of the right sidebar and choosing “Edit group settings”.

17. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! I can see how this would be useful, though there are some cases where it’s not possible (for example, if two people both change the total cost of a bill).

For now, we do keep a history of all transaction changes in the comments, so if two people try to change an item at the same time, you should be able to see the details of both those attempted changes in the comments. Sorry that we don’t have a more convenient way to handle this yet!

18. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Admin →

Hi there,

Thanks for the suggestion. Currently printable monthly summaries and statistics are only available on our website. I’m leaving this under review to see how many other users would appreciate this feature.

Best,
    Jon

20. Plates app: unequal food items

I'd like to suggest the ability to unequally split a food item. My example is recently we ordered a bucket of beers at dinner. The dinner was with 3 people total and 5 beers in a bucket. 2 people had 2 each, while the 3rd person only had 1.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! This probably isn’t something we’ll be able to add to Plates (the existing interface is already quite complicated), but we’ll look into it if this gets a lot of votes.

Marshall

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base