Skip to content

General

80 results found

1. Add Objects

I started planning to build a startup until I saw your app. So, I guess thanks for being really awesome before me!

I'm about to graduate college and I'm realizing that I'm missing many of my things (I loan a lot out). Now, I'm about to not see people for a long time and will probably lose many books. Being able to keep track of some of my objects that I loan out in the same place as my monetary transactions would be coolio.

Thanks,
    Andrew

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Hey Andrew – glad we could help! :) Unfortunately, we probably won’t be adding object-tracking to Splitwise. We’ve thought about it before, and previously we decided that it would complicate the interface too much. We’d rather have Splitwise handle just one thing (money) and handle it super-well.

Hope that makes sense – sorry!

2. 'Change currency' button when one changes currency

When one changes currency from USD to something else (INR in my case), show a small mini-popup-like thingy, which says "click here if you want to save INR as your default currency for all future transactions". Will save a trip to the settings panel and a dozen of seconds of search.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

We try to guess the correct currency when you first sign up based on your location and if you were invited by anyone, so I hope this feature isn’t really necessary.

Marshall

3. feedback on new design

The update feels pretty neat. UI feels snappy. paypal integration is cool.
    The only problem I have is the color scheme. Having light green on a white background strains the eye. It would have been better to have a darker foreground, probably dark green instead of light green.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the compliments, and sorry you don’t like the new colors! Unfortunately, we are planning to keep them. It’s definitely a lot different than the old Splitwise, but we hope the change will grow on you with time.

4. Whiteboard HTML Support

Currently, the Whiteboard will support HTML when you first save it, then when it's reloaded you are left with all the tags. Is there any way to re-encode it before displaying?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Good catch – but this is actually on purpose :) If we let you save raw HTML to the whiteboard, then you could use it to do bad things to other members of your group, like inserting JavaScript, or just accidentally breaking the layout of the page. For that reason, the whiteboard is saved and displayed as plaintext.

5. Make bug reports searchable/commentable

This is totally "inside baseball," but I'm a dev geek, and I know you guys spend all kinds of time fixing bugs. I think it would be great if you could let users search existing bug reports (the way they can with features) to figure out if something's already been reported and maybe help you by adding more details to an existing report, and help you re-test if necessary.

Also, this product is AWESOME and I really appreciate all the effort that goes into making it and making it better!

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Quick update:

We don’t plan to make our bug reports searchable. Mostly this is because most of the reports that we keep not in UV forums are either security issues we’re in the middle of addressing or minor issues we’re keeping track of but not planning to fix urgently. in both of these cases, there’s not a lot of value (and some risk) in exposing these to everyone.

Marshall

Awesome idea, thanks Will!

We use Uservoice (this very thing I am using to speak to you now) to manage help tickets, feature suggestions, and the like. It’s true that when bugs are reported this way, only the articles and suggestions are searchable as part of the submission, so unless we publicly document the bug in our helpdesk you can’t find anything about it.

However, we kind of /like/ hearing 10 times about the same bug because then we know we…

6. Let Paypal handle money limits

It says I can't transfer more than $500 via paypal. However, paypal has limits on a per user basis based on how verified their account is. I don't have limits do therefore paywise is limiting me unfairly. I can't use your app to record a payment then.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a limit imposed by PayPal, not us. Their API limits third-party applications to send a maximum of $500 per week per user.

If you’d like to send larger amounts of money via PayPal, you can always transfer the money directly from PayPal.com, and then record that payment here on Splitwise. Sorry for the inconvenience!

7. Revert to old color scheme

New color scheme doesn't look good to me. Please revert back to old one.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry you don’t like the new colors! We are planning to keep them, though. It’s definitely a lot different than the old Splitwise, but we hope the change will grow on you with time.

8. create a way to settle expenses between specific members of a group

I think it would be great if you could create a way to settle expenses between certain people in a group, not everybody in a group. That was something we had when we used Billmonk - you could choose who to settle the bills with. For example, suppose that person A owes person B, and C owes A. When person C needs to settle with A, they end up needing to pay back person B. In the current group set-up, if person B doesn't really know or have contact with person C, it makes it more complicated to facilitate payment.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Song-My – it sounds like you’re using a group with “debt simplification” turned on. If you turn simplified debts off, the group should function just the way you’re describing (e.g. if A owes B and C owes A, that will NOT be simplified down to “C owes B”).

You can turn off simplified debts from the web by clicking “More details” next to your balance summary to bring up the details for your full group. Then click the “Simplify debt?” toggle in the upper-right to turn off auto-simplification.

And if I’ve misunderstood your suggestion and you’d actually like a different feature, let us know! :)

9. Make the new popup the same dark color scheme as the old one

Please make the new divide a bill popup the same color scheme as the old one. This one hurts my eyes. Otherwise the new pop up is great and I love that it is easy to add an image now

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Feedback

Color scheme is disgusting please change it

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry you don’t like the new colors! We are planning to keep them, though. It’s definitely a lot different than the old Splitwise, but we hope the change will grow on you with time.

11. Keep Interface simple and clean

Hi , I think , the new color combination have ruined the old simple clean look of website.

Apart from that , everything is cool

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve decided to leave out the graph for now – not many people were using it, and it was hurting performance/speed. We’ll consider it for future updates, but at the moment there are no plans to bring it back. Sorry!

14. Display not involved payments or setlled up payments also

Instead of clicking and checking the setlled up bills, just display the not involved payments or setlled up payments as is. It will be less confusing when more is summarised on the page.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for writing in with your suggestion. I don’t think this is something we will do. We find hiding settled up expenses reduces clutter and confusion, and as you note, you can always click to show settled bills. Apologies for any inconvenience!

15. Private option for Venmo payments

I always settle up through Venmo but prefer to keep my payments private. I'd really like to see an option through the Splitwise UI to do this. Not sure if this is on the radar for the dev team or not. Just wanted to throw some support towards it.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! If you’ve changed your overall privacy settings on Venmo to make transactions private, the web flow will use those settings. It seems like this should work for you if you want to keep everything private.

16. update the label to change the word "owes" when someone has paid for others.

Example: We have a shared expense in a group that was paid by NiceGuy1. He paid $1000 to be split equally among 10 people.

In the details of the expense, one can read "NiceGuy1 paid $1000 and owes $100". This confuses him, because "owes" suggests that NiceGuy1 should pay someone something.

Thanks!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is the expanded information which is used to indicate that as one of the 10 members of the expense, “NiceGuy1” owes 1/10 of the expense or in this case $100. Since he paid all $1,000 the simpler information displayed before you expand the expense should say that he is owed the outstanding $900 from the members he paid for.

17. I need analysis on how my montly spending is on different caterogies like groceres, rent etc.

the analysis must portray info in a pie chart or some other graphical chart among different category of expense and must give some analysis on how to save money among different categories and how to budget monthly expense on different category.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We do have some of this on the trends in the web app (look at view full trends under the trends section on the right sidebar). We aren’t planning to add comprehensive budgeting tools to the app.

Marshall

18. "Simplify debts with" in a group

It could be usefull to redirect simplified debts with a person in a specific group, instead of non-group

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We don’t plan to make any changes to the “Simplify debts with” algorithm. We do offer simplify debts as an ongoing toggle in groups, which we think is usually a much better solution to the simplify debts problem, though we kept the more general one around for rare cases where it’s needed. You can always edit a specific Simplify debts entry and move it into a group if you want to.

Marshall

19. Email Printable Summary to Group

It would be nice to email printable summary to the group who does not use splitwise

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We currently send monthly summaries to everyone who has signed up for Splitwise and have pre-written balance reminders you can send to anyone in the group we can email. We also have the monthly PDF you can get from the group (click on the month name in the expense list) that should be suitable for sending to housemates.

Marshall

20. Excluding a Group from a User's Summary Expense Calculations

I have the requirement where I have to exclude a group expense from the total summary of a particular user. For example, I have a groups GP1, GP2, GP3 with users UR1 and UR2 and Myself in each of it. When I select user UR1, I find the total amount to owe/owed after a consolidated calculation. Instead of this method, I have to isolate GP2 from all the users when I select them. It should be independent even if I click a particular user. Can you provide some feature like this in the app?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We run into issues where people get confused by how balances add up and adding more complicated features to modify balances on top of that is not something we’ll do. If you want to see balances for each group separately, we do display that in each group. If you have some specific use case, please submit a support ticket with your use case so we can see if there’s some other feature or solution that might work for you.

Marshall

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base