Skip to content

General

80 results found

1. After Payment turn the old bill records to green

I Owe a person in multiple bills, After the payment is done to the respective person. I want the old settled up records to turn green, as they are settled.
    It makes the user pleasant feeling when he/she checks the list is green and settled up so that he need not worry about them.
    I hope this will be a add on feature to "split wise" app.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  2. Not all photos are receipt

We use Splitwise to split home-made food costs. And we like to attach a photo of the dish to remember how tasty it was.

But when I see a bill, it has the title Receipt above the picture.

I suggest to change that title for a generic one.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! While you are more than welcome to attach whatever photo you want, we want to use the word receipt to suggest what we think the feature is for. I think no one is confused when they see a delicious plate of food under the label receipt.

Marshall

3. Go back to Billmonk model

I dont understand why splitwise has become so popular, It is the most frustrating websharing site I've used. It is incredibly frustrating to have site that is simple and works incredibly well (billmonk) and clearly be bought out by such a frustrating site.

I feel like this site does nothing but frustrate me. Yes it is simple to add bills and it looks very pretty. But all of the is greatly outweighed by how much frustration it causes. It is especially aggregating when I try to find an alternative only to realize you have bought out any other decent site…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

So sorry for the trouble! Splitwise is actually completely unrelated to Billmonk (which was bought by BillPin a few years ago). We think Billmonk was really great – I used to use it myself! – but we definitely have different ideas about certain features, and we don’t intend to copy their model.

If you’d like any help with your specific Splitwise account, feel free to email us at support@splitwise.com and we’d be happy to help out with whatever problems you’re having. Again, apologies for the frustration!

4. Use historical exchange rate data (via google or forex api perhaps) per date for currency conversion

Instead of using the current financial exchange rate for all currency conversion, couldn't you query the historical rate at which a transaction date has been set in Splitwise, in order to convert each Splitwise transaction according to its historical exchange rate?

Fluctuating exchange rates for long outstanding groups (e.g. vacations with multi-country/multi-currency roadtrips) force me to use Excel/Spreadsheets to do currency conversion with historically accurate exchange rates. Not having this feature either means paying a sum of settlement that either does not reflect the historical price payed, or forces me to use another program for currency conversion.

Would be nice…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! I definitely see how this makes sense, but we’re unlikely to add historical exchange rates as a feature in the near future.

There are a lot of edge cases like this in currency conversion – for example, if we did implement historical rates, should we use the rate from the day that the expense was added, or the rate from the day that the expense is dated? However, most people aren’t looking for that level of detail, and we think it’s important to keep Splitwise simple as much as possible. That’s why we show the current exchange rate, and then convert all expenses at that rate. It makes currency conversion easier to understand, and we actually found that it’s what most people expect to happen anyway :)

If you’d like a more precise conversion on an expense-by-expense basis, your best bet is probably to export to…

5. Have certain groups within groups

We went on a trip from different parts of India and 2 to 3 people were from same state. They want to get it settled combined from their side to other people on the trip and want a separate internal expense list so that they could settle it within their group. I would recommend you to add this feature for more functionality.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the interesting idea, but groups are confusing enough so I can’t see us ever doing this. But I understand the use case and we’ll continue to think about how to handle that case simply or elegantly.

6. Be able to send reminders about a single bill

I'm able to send email reminders about expenses within a group.

But, if I add an individual bill split between people, I'm not able to find an option to send a reminder. Neither can I send a reminder to a person on the consolidated amount he/she owes me across multiple groups and/or bills.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi there,

Sorry, I think you just haven’t found the place for it. Click on the “settings” gear on the friend page, and then hit “send reminder” from the list of buttons on the right hand side. It’s a bit hidden (sorry) but it’s there.

Best,
    Jon

7. Able to access images without authentcation

[[ Bug ]]

When I attach an image to a transaction, a unique link is generated for it. People with this link should not be able to view it. Authentication is required.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the trouble! This is actually intentional – we think there are situations in which people might want to share links to receipts or attachments with people who are not logged in to Splitwise. URLs for uploads are randomly generated, so it shouldn’t be possible for someone to guess a URL or find your image by accident.

8. User Interface

Make the user interface more catchy.

The mobile and Web app are great! Perfect. Also, suggest this app should be made for BlackBerry Users.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey there! We definitely want to keep improving our user interface, but I’m closing this suggestion for now because it’s not very specific. If you have any particular thoughts on how we should improve Splitwise, let me know and I’d be happy to pass them on!

Unfortunately, we also don’t have any plans to make a BlackBerry app right now – we’re a very small company (just two engineers), so web, iPhone, and Android is about as much as we can handle. However, if you know any BlackBerry developers, they’d be welcome to build their own Splitwise app using our public API: http://dev.splitwise.com. Sorry for the inconvenience!

9. All Import from the same format as your export feature

Before knowing your website existed I split using a spreadsheet (last night) and would be happy to conform my format to the same as your export format. Just let me know if you support and point me to the import option

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Dustin, sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately, I don’t think we’re likely to build a general importer in the near future. Even our spreadsheet export doesn’t actually have enough information to import bills – for instance, it doesn’t have complete information about how much each person paid, or each person’s email address.

I’d love to add an actual importer at some point in the future, but right now we’re really short on manpower (we’re only two engineers), so unfortunately other updates will probably take priority. For now, your best bet is probably just to add your current total balances with your friends as new expenses, and optionally include your spreadsheet as an attachment. My apologies for the inconvenience!

10. Hide transactions from people not involved

There should be an option in the groups' settings to always hide transactions from people that are not present, and prevent those people from seeing the transaction (or just hide the value).

This would be helpful in a group of friends where you don't want to disclose, eg, the birthday present's value to whoever's birthday it is.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We believe anyone in a group should be able to see any expense in that group so they can audit our calculations. If you want to keep an expense private, add it outside the group. Expenses outside the group are only visible to the people involved in the expense.

Marshall

11. Pay with Stripe

Allow payment through stripe - directly enter a credit card on the page instead of going through PayPal. https://stripe.com/

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Just to clarify: are you suggesting Stripe for P2P payments. i.e. paying back your friend via Stripe? Unfortunately, Stripe doesn’t support those kinds of transfers, and if they did it would involve their standard credit card fees ($0.30 + 3% of the total). For those reasons, we’re unlikely to add Stripe as a payment option. We hope to add other PayPal alternatives, though!

12. Create weekly summaries

It would be great to be able to get weekly summaries rather than monthly ones of the spending in a group, to see how much people have spent and get a weekly budget.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Katherine,

Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately I don’t see us offering this any time soon: monthly summaries are already very expensive for us to provide, in terms of both server power and email budget.

Sorry for any inconvenience and thanks for using Splitwise!

Zoe

13. /login will again ask you to login even if you are logged in

When you hit secure.splitwise.com/login, it will open the sign in page even if you are logged in.
    Ideally it should redirect to home page or some other page.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  14. fix the bug which shows wrong people's name when group is created or when a bill is added

When i created a new group and added my friends, they got notifications that the group had been created by some other random friend in their list and not by me. Same was the case when i added a bill using my android mobile, it showed them that bill with someone else rather than me.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Rishabh – could you email us at support@splitwise.com and let us know (a) your account’s email address and (b) the name of one of your friends that was affected by this bug? We’ve heard of the added-to-group problem (and just released a fix), but you’re the first person to report an issue with adding a bill, and more specific information would help us to chase down the problem and fix it more quickly. Thanks!

15. Signing up via Google should NOT manage my contacts

I care about my privacy, and I DO NOT want to share my contact list with another (web) app.

I was about to sign up to Splitwise, then I looked at the required permissions, then I declined.

(as in a side note, the Android app also wants to read my contacts, and that's something I do not like either)

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Denilson,

You can always sign up without using google and we won’t get any contact data from you. Unfortunately, with the Android app, you have to ask for any permission you might conceivably want up front and can’t turn things off by request. The contact integration is very useful for most of our users, so we ask for it on Android.

In either case, we do not store your contact information on our server (outside of you specifically inviting a friend to Splitwise), though we do keep an access token saved so that we can load contact information in your browser when you add friends and bills.

Marshall

16. option to verify and approve the expense under a group for group moderator

option to verify and approve the expense under a group for group moderator

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

Sorry, but we don’t have any plans to add expense approval or group moderators at this time. We’ve actually tried approval for payments in the past, and found that it didn’t work well for most of our users. Apologies for the inconvenience!

17. have an option to hide my personal upcoming/trending bills from the group. I want my personal bills kept private!

I want to be able to track my personal expenses without the entire group being able to see it! I want to schedule my trending/recurring payments and list the amounts, but keep that info private. I don't like how if I list my personal bills in my account it keeps showing up in the group. Keep my private finances private please!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →
  18. Not show "Settle All Group" entries groups. It just leaves us all confused when we try to reconcile the payments.

If you really need the "Settle All Groups", please make it internal and not visible to the users. It just confuses the heck out of us when we try to reconcile the payments.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m sorry you find this confusing, but we think it’s very important to show – otherwise, the list of expenses with a given friend/in a given group would not actually add up to the total balance, which seems much more confusing to us. Still, I’ll mention this at our next team meeting and see if we can think of any ways to reduce confusion.

19. Groups with hidden expenses

Have an option in groups whereby all expenses in the group are only visible to those involved in an expense. I'm specifically thinking of making a group where I can note down presents, and I'd like to call this group "Presents".

In it, I'd keep track of all previous presents - but as the people I share with begin to use Splitwise, they'd also be able to view the expenses for others in the group - which isn't always so good as they may know each other.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web app  ·  Admin →

One of the most important features we intend to keep in Splitwise is to allow users to always be able to check the math on any amount that they owe. Hiding expenses in groups would either interfere with this or with some of our other features.

You can create an expense with multiple people outside of a group (just add all the participants in the With: field of the expense). These expenses are only visible to the participants, so will not be seen by the recipient of the gift.

Marshall

20. Feedback on settle up

I hope the settle up will be better if it should be updated only by the person who pays the money.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We firmly believe anyone should be able to add and edit expenses they are involved in. We are planning got add better history of changes so you can easily who did what when soon. We also have notifications you can add for your account under account settings to get notified when someone adds a payment to you.

Marshall

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base